News:

Main Menu

Dragon Age Inquisition

Started by SinXAzgard21, November 19, 2014, 01:47:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

consortium11

Quote from: Inkidu on November 20, 2014, 06:36:40 PM
I'm probably going to knock it down to casual at this point. Dragon Age has always been a hack n' slash masquerading as a tactical role playing game.

The first one at least had some pretense of being tactical but both two and this have pretty much given up the ghost completely. On PC at least even the tactical camera itself is awful. Truth be told Inquisition plays much like an MMO; simply pointing your character in the right direction, spamming hotkey powers which each have a cooldown and putting together some incredibly basic "combo" plays.

Inkidu

Eh, I played Dragon Age: Origins on console and it was hacky and slashy. I hear the PC was much more tactical.

Now, granted that doesn't mean the game isn't fun as hell. I'm just not getting a lot of reward out of playing it on a harder difficulty.

It's not that I can't. I play XCOM Enemy Within on classic ironman regularly (it's my normal), I just don't find it rewarding in Dragon Age.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

SinXAzgard21

MMOs actually give out rewards though...  this some how doesn't give out very much.
If you know me personally, you know how to contact me.

Inkidu

Quote from: SinXAzgard21 on November 20, 2014, 07:07:06 PM
MMOs actually give out rewards though...  this some how doesn't give out very much.
The resource drought has not gone unnoticed by me. :|
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

SinXAzgard21

Quote from: Inkidu on November 20, 2014, 07:12:03 PM
The resource drought has not gone unnoticed by me. :|

Farm area, leave and come back to map, farm area.  Rinse and repeat.  I'm getting 4-5 mineral, skins not so much and I'm going to pick up the inquisition perk for gathering more plant life.

Inkidu

Quote from: SinXAzgard21 on November 20, 2014, 08:00:06 PM
Farm area, leave and come back to map, farm area.  Rinse and repeat.  I'm getting 4-5 mineral, skins not so much and I'm going to pick up the inquisition perk for gathering more plant life.
It's not actually that. I can't find schematics! XD

I  can have all the clay and straw in the world but without blueprints they're useless.

Also where's a good source of velveteen. Holy shit, velveteen's a word!

SinXAzgard21

Quote from: Inkidu on November 20, 2014, 08:03:15 PM
It's not actually that. I can't find schematics! XD

I  can have all the clay and straw in the world but without blueprints they're useless.

Also where's a good source of velveteen. Holy shit, velveteen's a word!

I've had to buy some of my schematics....  Well most of them actually.  Though it is funny I'd start talking about needing gear, and what should drop from my enemies... A whole effing armory of things that will make enemies dead faster.

NotoriusBEN

Make a cannonball run to Redcliff. I'm not sure if it's possible at the beginning, but in Redcliff there is a schematic vendor that will get you all the tier 1 and some tier 2 schematics you could want.

It may be you can only get into Redcliff after unlocking Val Royeux though... there is a merchant there that sells a lot of tier 2 schematics, but I don't think you will have the gold for that.

later in the game, when the inquisition really becomes a movement, there will be adviser missions to collect materials, not just gold. Choosing a different adviser, has a different focus on loot grabbed.

also, if you feel it is important to you... the advisor mission timer is based on your system clock... do with that info what you will. I wouldn't recommend doing it for gold... that's game breaking. Doing it for mats however, that cuts out a lot of MMO work, and I kinda approve.

Inkidu

You cannot get into Redcliffe without going to VR. :P

SinXAzgard21

Darkspawn...  That is all.

Respeced my character and it is amazing.  Taunted a group of I guess you can call them elite mobs and my A.I. part burned them down and I didn't take a point of damage.  Taunts and armor baby.

SinXAzgard21

Just killed me a Giant.  Yeah, tactical cam is needed for big targets.

SilverWing

I forgot this game is out!! I loved Dragon Age: Origins. Oooh how I hope this one is good!

Hemingway

Is it just that I can't find them, or does this game actually lack proper tactics settings? The only ones I've found are very simple ones - when AI characters should drink potions and so on. If that's the case, that's ... really bad. As it stands, my party is not behaving in anything like an optimal way. Hell, my tank spends most his fights just standing around.
ยจ
EDIT: I'm a bit wary of proceeding with the main quest at the moment. I have to decide who I want helping me of the two factions, and while I've made my choice, I'm worried proceeding with it will make it impossible to finish quests from the first part of the game. Is that the case? Bioware loves that sort of thing, but they're hardly consistent about it.

Inkidu

I don't know, that's why I'm getting everything done that's not closing rifts or stuff like that, but you haven't really gotten a faction specific quest yet. Not by my reckoning.

Also: nope, character-sheet tactics are all you get. Though, I've hated the "Gambit" systems of modifying AI behavior since their general inception in Final Fantasy XII. The games, no matter what they are, have this system easily broken and pointless.

Hemingway

Quote from: Inkidu on November 21, 2014, 08:57:05 AM
Also: nope, character-sheet tactics are all you get. Though, I've hated the "Gambit" systems of modifying AI behavior since their general inception in Final Fantasy XII. The games, no matter what they are, have this system easily broken and pointless.

I really don't see how having the ability to, say, have my tank always target the strongest enemy first is bad. Or being able to tell my people to avoid targets that are asleep, or -- you get it.

Now I've reached a really frustrating area. A cave on the Storm Coast. I could tell it'd be trouble when my AI party members refused to enter. Currently, all three of them are busy walking into a narrow dead end, simply because it has a small opening leading to the other side ( the opening is too small for anything to pass through ). Try as I might, I can't get them to walk around. If I manually tell them to walk around, they immediately run back, even if I tell them to hold. I'm basically fighting through the cave on my own.

Falanor

I think I know the area you went through and found I was going in through the exit. Was seriously frustrating when I realized it but at least the NPCs will eventually teleport to you.

Hemingway

Another reason there really needs to be proper tactics settings: AI mages don't seem to care much about dispelling enemy barriers. Or demons as they're being summoned. It's one of the most useful things they can do, but they don't do it with any sort of regularity.

I also wish I could tell Sera to keep her distance. I had to disable two of her abilities ( that I had to get in order to get to a really good passive ) just so she wouldn't consistently run up to enemies instead of staying back and using abilities that get more powerful with range.

Quote from: Falanor on November 21, 2014, 12:47:44 PM
I think I know the area you went through and found I was going in through the exit. Was seriously frustrating when I realized it but at least the NPCs will eventually teleport to you.

Well, it's a tunnel that goes both ways, so being able to use it both ways would be handy. I had to take a ridiculously long detour simply because I really didn't want to go through it again.

Falanor

I agree. Really pissed me off that the group wouldn't step over a waist high rock ledge to follow me into the next room and so on until I kept teleporting their asses through the whole thing. Thankfully most things feared my electric storm god mage...

Inkidu

This rift level scaling is murdering me. :P

Either it is level scaling (because how would they possibly know what which ones I'd go to) or it's supremely well-crafted.

Anyone remember the level ranges for the Hinterlands, because Valuex Royale (sp) is 4-7 and I'm 8, so what the fuck, game designers?

SinXAzgard21

Spirit is the only tree that has the ability to get rid of barriers, I have Solas using that tree and he always uses the spell, even uses it when fighting rifts so some demons insta die.

Falanor

From what the level designer of the Hinterlands said its designed with some beasties that aren't level appropriate for the area. Like that fucking dragon...and that rift with the level 12 demons. Fun times.

Inkidu

Quote from: Falanor on November 21, 2014, 01:48:09 PM
From what the level designer of the Hinterlands said its designed with some beasties that aren't level appropriate for the area. Like that fucking dragon...and that rift with the level 12 demons. Fun times.
I just can't decide if it's scaling or not because it seems so random where the you-will-totally-be-destroyed zones are.

Falanor

Quote from: Inkidu on November 21, 2014, 02:04:04 PM
I just can't decide if it's scaling or not because it seems so random where the you-will-totally-be-destroyed zones are.
I think its that way on purpose. That they just dropped some really tough creatures and encounters in random and out of the way places to surprise the player. Honestly it feels more realistic that way, at least to me. Can be brutal as hell sometimes too...

Hemingway

Quote from: SinXAzgard21 on November 21, 2014, 01:45:17 PM
Spirit is the only tree that has the ability to get rid of barriers, I have Solas using that tree and he always uses the spell, even uses it when fighting rifts so some demons insta die.

I'm using Dorian, with Spirit / Fire. I've seen him dispel barriers, but not with any sort of regularity. I've never seen him dispel demons from rifts, though.

Inkidu

Ugh, this kind of crap isn't supposed to happen on consoles.

I've got sound cutting out, forcing a restart. I've got dialogue wheels not showing up, which requires a restart.

Also, what freaking button on the 360 controller answers those PC-dialogue options that pop up while just walking around? It happened once, I got another one like ten hours later and can't remember the freaking button and there's no basic control tutorial. Since this is a modern game there's no manual either.

Has there been a patch yet?