Shadowrun 4th ed.

Started by sithgod, February 02, 2008, 11:58:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sithgod

The year is 2050. Advances in technology are astonishing, with Humans able to data in the net known as the Matrix. Even more astonishing is the return of Magic. Elves, Dwarfs, Dragons, Orks, and Trolls have assumed their true forms, while mega-corporations (rather than superpowers) rule much of the world. Moving among it all like whispers in the night are the shadowrunners. No one admits their existence, but no one else can do their secret work.

The job was meant to be easy... Find a missing girl, but runs are never as easy they look.

A short initial adventure to let the players come together as a team.

Requirements:

Up to 4 players plus myself as GM

Rules: Shadowrun 4.0

You do not have to own the books.

Characters have to be done quick. I can help with pregen ones if needed, but I have been involved in games where it has taken 6 weeks for characters to be done. It takes less than an hour to do so we should be able to have then done in a week or less.

Regular posting. Its the only way games move along.

I am not a grammar Nazi. I really don't mind if you talk in past tense, present tense, third person or first. I don't mind if you swap. I am more interested in your reliability of posting and taking part. Firefox has a spell checker so sure use it if you have it. But its a game for fun and not a exam paper on the English language.

Character age: Any you want as long as it is within the guidelines of the TOS.

Any questions or interested PM

Serenity Vixen

I have always wanted to play Shadow Run. I don't have the books, but I have just enough knowlege of the setting to be dangerous :)
"I once tried to take over the world, but then I got distracted by something shiny"
"There are 3 kinds of people in the world. Those that are good at math, and those who are not"

sithgod

Vixen I think you'd be dangerous in any setting ;)

Vice

Are you allowing any of the sourcebooks, like Street Magic or Augmentation?

sithgod

No as I don't yet own them.

Serenity Vixen

Is animalistic gene-splicing part of this game?

Yea, I am thinking cat-girl :P
"I once tried to take over the world, but then I got distracted by something shiny"
"There are 3 kinds of people in the world. Those that are good at math, and those who are not"

sithgod

Just a wild stab in the dark, but I think you have a running theme there ;)

Serenity Vixen

hehehehehe  What makes you say that?

*Meow!!*

Xerial

4th Edition good... 4th Edition without Augmentation makes me cry... out go my wacky concept characters...

Chazy

I would like to try the game, if there are still openings but a downfall is that I don't have the 4th ed books..........YET *nodnodnod*.
Life is short. Live everyday as if it will be your last. For it may very well be.

Vice

Gene modding rules are in Augmentation, mostly. But it's not a huge deal...makes the chargen process faster. I'll try to have something in today. I think there's a price for general cosmetic surgery in the main book, and cyberears can look like whatever you want, I think. So you could have cyber cat ears, pending GM approval.

sithgod

Chazy not having the books isn't a problem.

Vixen. You can have the cosmetic surgery no problem. However you wouldn't have benefits from it like heightened hearing etc.

Vice

That's why I was suggesting cat-shaped cyberears. Best of both worlds, right?

sithgod

Sure as long as they have been paid for. I just meant by default they don't have the improved hearing.

Vice

Of course. I have a rough character sheet ready for one of my concepts. Mind if I run a few of them by you?

1. A party-girl Troll street sam. Works hard, plays harder. Dropped out before highschool, but knows plenty about stupid things like sports and pop culture. Street smart and fairly sociable. Likes: Dancing, concerts, being the center of attention. Dislikes: Human supremacists, buzzkills, know-it-alls.

2. Elven mage, a graduate student desperate for money and work, who's willing to Shadowrun for the month's rent. Fairly neurotic, more comfortable in the halls of academia than on the streets, but capable of self-defense. Obsessed with it really, due to the aforementioned neuroticism. Think Adrian Monk, but as a hermetic mage. Likes: Books, libraries, comfy couches. Dislikes: the outdoors, angry people, people trying to kill me.

3. A human hacker named Silky. Silky is SINless, and a childhood genius who is primarily self-educated via the Matrix. Tries to be responsible, but frankly has questionable judgement when left alone to make decisions. Likes: matrix gaming, sneaking into bars, orksploitation, hooking up with cuties at the club. Dislikes: boredom, bossy people, health food.

sithgod

I have no problem with any of those concepts.

I am tempted to go 300 on BP for a gritty game  but typical is 400

HairyHeretic

I haven't played SR since .. 2nd edition I think. How do the Physical Adepts measure up these days?
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Xerial

Adepts are far more than Physical these days... in fact they're my favorite type to play... *nod* Adepts now have access to a range of cognitive and social powers as well as physical ones. They're not simply kung-fu anymore.

Along that line of thinking, and with Augmentation and such in mind too... if I provided a typed write-up of any powers/ware/gear I wanted to use that wasn't in the core book (I own pretty much every 3rd and 4th Edition book, despite not having played a tabletop game in a decade, I'm a junkie) would it be cool to use non-corebook items?

sithgod

Quote from: hairyheretic on February 04, 2008, 06:32:32 PM
I haven't played SR since .. 2nd edition I think.

I haven't played since 1st ed many years ago. Its a learning process for me all over again.

Vice

So, if we're running in 2050, does all of the wireless stuff in the SR4 book not exist yet?

sithgod

If its in the core as available to players then its allowed.

Vice

Well...but the wireless matrix didn't exist until after the second Crash in 2064.

sithgod

Only if your going strictly canon

Serenity Vixen

I'd like to play an Elven Sorceress, is it possible to be wealthy enough for cybernetic cat features?

Chazy

I have the 3rd Ed book for Shadowrun and my favorite type of character to play is the Physical Adept. Since 4th Ed is quite different, want me to create a 3rd Ed character and hope there is a way to transfer it from 3rd Ed to 4th Ed?
Life is short. Live everyday as if it will be your last. For it may very well be.

Xerial

Given the focus on core, I'll be bowing out of this one.

sithgod

Sure I can look it over once done. There will have to be changes of course, but should get in the same ballpark.

Quote from: Chazy on February 05, 2008, 07:33:16 AM
I have the 3rd Ed book for Shadowrun and my favorite type of character to play is the Physical Adept. Since 4th Ed is quite different, want me to create a 3rd Ed character and hope there is a way to transfer it from 3rd Ed to 4th Ed?

Chazy

Cool beans. Give me a couple of days to make him. Any special rules or house rules should I go by in his creation? Any special advances I need to use? Or just create a starting character?

sithgod

No house rules as I have to reacquaint myself with the rules myself. So I am not going to mess with them at this stage.

Serenity Vixen

Let me know what you need from me :)

Chazy

I have three concepts in mind. Depending on what the group needs, will depend on what I play. I have a human physical adept, Human mage, and an Elven mage. Got them all finished just will post them when I have a night off. Which is tomorrow night.....so long as no one calls off.

sithgod

Vixen put in for a Elvish magic user so I'd go something different.

Chazy

Ok. My go with my assassin type human adept then. Anyways......bad news......have to work so will not be able to post my character yet.

Hunter

I'll have to think about this one.  I love SR but hate 4th edition.

Vice

Should we just post our characters here?

sithgod

PM it to me when your done. I'll set up the personal threads for the players over the weekend.

Serenity Vixen

Are you going to handle my character again?  *Flutters eyelashes*

sithgod

Chazy

Still working. We are short on guards and in bad need of some. May be working 6 days a week as it is.

sithgod

I'll start with

Vice: Character is done
Vixen: I'm working on it
Chatzy: Pending.

I hope to start the game on Wednesday.

Chazy

Hey.....good news. In about a week, I WILL have Shadowrun 4th Ed book.

Vice

sithgod

Sure is. I have been working on characters for a couple of players and this week has been particularly bad work wise with several projects for clients that have had very tight deadlines. So I didn't get to work on the game as much this week as I wanted to.

Serenity Vixen

I am still very very interested :)

Kazyth

4th Ed Rocks.  Going to be starting another tabletop here in the Fort again soon.  Love this game to death.
A rose by any other name... still has thorns you can prick someone with. - Me.

sithgod

Yours is one of the characters I have been working on :)

Quote from: Serenity Vixen on February 15, 2008, 09:30:32 AM
I am still very very interested :)

Chazy

I am still working on the character....been busy with work. Overtime sucks ass right now.

sithgod

Vice: Character is done
Vixen: I'm working on it
Chatzy: Pending.
Spirit Wolf: Character is done

Chazy

TheGlyphstone

The recruitment thread is almost four years old, and the 'game thread' leads to a dead link. Imma gonna go out on a limb and guess...'nope'. ;)

Chazy

I already know that. Just seeing who is still tracking.