Interest check: Skyrim

Started by applesauce, August 09, 2011, 05:30:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Primarch

I'm not against people taking up multiple, although I myself will play just the one.

Aurora Wayland

I prefer 1 character per person.

Revenent

Name: Sage-Claw
Focus: Quick-footed Archer
Race: Argonian

Nature:

A wanderer and fierce servent of Akatosh, Sage-Claw has become something of myth in a number of townships by his method of bringing divine retribution on the most foul souls in Tamriel. Bandits and highwaymen would often turn up dead in the middle of the road, or be found lying murdered in their sleep by the woodsmen who stumble across their tents. Sometimes, even those within the cities would have an unseen force reap justice on them for their corruption or outright law-breaking.

Wherever these events occurred, a hooded argonian with red scales would be seen walking to the local cathedral every evening at sundown, would kneel before the altar and pray for an hour, then leave without ever purchasing food or seeking a room at any of the inns. The guards never bothered this argonian, though sometimes the local troublemakers did. Any who had the guts to follow him out of the city generally never returned, however.

It wasn't until recently that Sage-Claw traveled to Skyrim, having spent the last few years in Cyrodiil. Unfortunately, as athletic as he was, he wasn't prepared for the severe climate change going to this new land and ended up getting caught by the much more cold-hardy Nord after assassinating an official that was calling for lethal force against any who desired to break way from the crumbling Empire. He now is one of a number of people waiting in prison for his death sentence to be carried out.

Talents

Archery
Athletics (including water breathing)
Acrobatics
Conjuration (can summon a number of types of magical arrows with different qualities to be fired normally from his bow)

Favorite Spells

Multi Arrow
Burst Arrow
Binding Arrow

Personality

Sage-Claw is as kindly and willing to offer help or advice as any priest of the Nine you would meet, despite the dark nature of his second life. He is fairly humble and soft-spoken, yet one can see the mixture of conviction and guilt behind his eyes. He'll stop at literally nothing to stop inhumanity, cruelty, and darkness, even if others think he takes it too far.

Possessions
Leather armor
Patchwork leather hood
Elven bow
Silver arrow (54)
Venison (3)
Pouch of Gold Coins (15)

Iridescent Raven

I'm up for just playing one character. I'll start filling out a character sheet, and submit it within a moment or two.  :-)

Kate

one character per person please

Kate

BTW a few girls have expressed interest - there is no need for males to play female characters (unless i guess if they want to)

demonwing - please if you still desire to do so see to an ooc a character and an ic thread asap - enough have expressed an interest for this to runand
your on regular enough to manage to be a gm (which is needed)

SargentToughie

Alright, it looks as though the overwhelming majority of people are voting for one character for one player, and I've got to say that, as an RPer, I personally disagree with that choice. For me, only having one character restricts the possibilities available within an RP, since once your character has decided on going off to do something, it's impossible for them to go off and do something else, that, and they're a prisoner to their character. If there was a setting that you wanted to see, or something you wanted to see happen in the RP, but it would contradict something that your lone character would want to do, then you're stuck.

Could I ask what it is that's unappealing about allowing others multiple characters? I wouldn't force it on any of you, by any means, the minimum would still be 1 character, and it isn't like those of us that do create multiples are going to be playing favorites, making one of them superior to the rest and the other just a bunch of blank slates. As far as I see it, A maximum of 2 (very liberal for my regular RPs, where the max is 4) characters really isn't that big of a deal.

Anyway, I'm going to get rolling on that soon enough. I've got a pretty good handle on the story, and what I want to do with it.
If you're reading my RPs from the outside and like my writing, feel free to drop me a line! I'm always looking for new, fun partners. :D
Ons and offs

Revenent

Don't forget that they'd also be prisoner to whoever's character they're interacting with if that person just happens to disappear for three weeks, which is a rare occurrence around here. It only makes logical sense to me to have more than one character as the maximum, since the only reasoning I've seen toward having just one is "because I only use one."

Primarch

Well I find an overly populated game to be worst then an under populated game, and we have more interested parties then I realized. So if "one character per person" has won the vote I'd like to see that honoured, the more characters involved it means the more we have to read through or people splitting effort to the point that individual characters aren't receiving much attention. Then there's that really annoying thing some people do, like constantly having their characters agree with each other or the like.

So...yeah.

Revenent

I highly doubt anyone is going to have characters getting neglected if they have one extra character, and I also doubt it'll become overpopulated by the very few of us that will have that one extra character. I can see where you're coming from, but this isn't going to end with anyone having four or five characters, and I at least hate to have my characters interact with each other unless necessary, so I don't think those concerns will come true.

Alliance

I will be using my Breton Enesia from Morrowind and Oblivion.

I do not know how to get an in game picture of, however, because he is on the console. But I would pretty much prefer if it be the same character. Rofl he goes to prison a lot since I have been using this character in all the Elder Scroll games.

Dashenka

If we are going to allow multiple character I will bail out guys. I'm terrible sorry but games with more than 5 or 6 characters are way too crowded for me.
Out here in the fields, I fight for my meals and I get my back into my living.

I don't need to fight to prove I'm right and I don't need to be forgiven.

Alliance

Quote from: Dashenka on August 26, 2011, 03:22:44 AM
If we are going to allow multiple character I will bail out guys. I'm terrible sorry but games with more than 5 or 6 characters are way too crowded for me.

Wow..... :-\

Kate

That was what i was worried about for some players (myself) it gets confusing.

Seeing a persons avatar makes us think "oh its so and so's character" - for some it feels more indepth.

Revenent

-RETRACTED-

Kate

QuoteI'm sorry, but if you can't handle more than five or six characters or one writer having more than one character, how do you even manage to read a book?

I'm not trying to sound like a dick here, and I don't even care that much what the ultimate decision is, but some of this reasoning is just silly. For example, how does less characters make it more in-depth? We're talking about a series that used to be known for having in the range of 750,000 named characters in a single game alone. Are we really going to make Demo control eeeeeevery single character who does something important and just react to it? Trust me, I've tried, and it's pretty difficult to handle a grand epic RP story without a good bit of participation and willingness to compromise. Though I may have gone off-topic by now.

I assume Dashenka would be offended by that comment, but even if she isn't I am revenent.

There was a vote on it, and reasons for some views expressed

At no point did I suggest others DESIRE to play more than one character was an inappropriate or silly view for their own perspective doing so. I merely mentioned that for some players (namely myself) prefer to expect a player to be in role with a character, and get into the swing of things more / find it more believable when people do.

As far as "silly reasons go" Firstly

Voicing dismissiveness of anothers expressed reasons as not "good enough" to justify their own view - is a choice - an arrogant one - people have different inclinations, what drives them what interests them, what captivates them is elusive at best. Such is the nature of life. What dominates and influences peoples intentions and energy varies. Variation is the spice of life, that is why role playing with others is appealing to those like myself. A discovery of shared journeys.

As far as perspectives and logic go... unfortunately it has come to justifying stances in relation to others.
(The vote being accepted to abstract debates of strengths of relevance would have avoided this, still for a higher good to avoid such again I will address these explicitly)

"but if you can't handle more than five or six characters or one writer having more than one character, how do you even manage to read a book?"

Can't handle ? Hmm I could "handle it" - I just have a preference for not doing so
Five or six characters => Would have been the case WITH everyone only having one character per player.
Manage to read a book =>

That is a little arrogant and insulting. How ? Hmm .. firstly one author (writer) has a consistent style, this play by post is a very different medium - different energy - different complexities concerning interaction, I do assume other non-player characters would exist in role playing this thread. (ie people we meet), thus even if each player played one character the complexities of different writing styles, free form role play, etc should be complex enough to be enjoyable for myself personally.. the full strength of my mental abilities ? No

Complex and appropriate for what I desire for this thread ?
Yes

Furthermore I never said nor wish to counter with "if you can't enjoy playing one character what makes you think you can enjoy playing two?" - nor want to nor need to for obvious reasons - primarily doing so assumes you view characters in the same way I would (which i know is not the case). Secondly its an assertion that doesn't serve my interests as far as topic dialog exchange goes (energy and interest in this thread i and site I would prefer to spend on role playing).

How I can "manage reading a book" while having a ~preference~ for role playing in an interactive thread with players that are playing one protagonist each .. could well be a mystery that may fascinate some to critique in detail ... fascinating to some perhaps - but not all who may be interested in role playing this thread :)

QuoteAre we really going to make Demo control eeeeeevery single character who does something important and just react to it?

I was under the impression that we were voting on how many protagonists players are role playing - not how many other non-protagonists :)

Revenent

Alright, I'll admit I was being a jerk with that over something pretty insignificant, and I do apologize. I was just getting worked up because I couldn't help but feel that people were being stubborn by actually saying they would pull out of the RP just because one or two people would like a second character out of personal preference. I just don't see how it could possibly ruin anyone's experience if a couple of us choose to have two characters, because I can say without a shadow of a doubt that some of you will up and disappear from the site or just stop responding without a word (I've seen a group RP yet on E where this hasn't happened with someone), and I'd rather not have to sit out of the RP for three weeks if I happened to be interacting with one of those people.

Forget it, I don't care. The issue isn't important enough to keep discussing.

Dashenka

What I meant was that 5 or 6 players for me is a limit. If we got three players that means somebody can play two characters. In my previous experiences with big game roleplayes, it gets really confusing remembering all the different characters players have. Also I prefer one group in the game than 9 or 10 individuals. It makes things a lot easier and simpler. I am involved in a few other games, which characters I have to remember and I do not want to remember another 10 characters for this game.

Another thing I found happening in big games with multiple characters per player is that they start roleplaying and interacting with only their own characters because they and others have lost track of the game. I really prefer a small group. This is two reasons why a big group could ruin the game experience for me.

Lastly, I never said you could not play more characters. I didn't vote for that nor do I car, I just said that if you should decide to have more than 6 players, I will not join this game because I cannot keep track of those games.

Now I think we should leave this all behind us and start working on a plot or something. We can't just start somewhere and slash some goblin throats.
Out here in the fields, I fight for my meals and I get my back into my living.

I don't need to fight to prove I'm right and I don't need to be forgiven.

Kate

Cool :) agreed / stances clarified. No hard feelings from anyone I hope, none meant to insult anyone,

The topic of this thread is just exciting - we are just getting anxious to jump into it with both feet :)

Sooner we have an IC - the more of our energy can go where we want it to :)

SargentToughie

Well... this is actually a little bit awkward...

classic military for you... something big has come up on a moment's notice, and I really won't have the time or the brainpower to dedicate to running an entire RP from nothing. So, that just goes to show what I get when I open my mouth and make big claims about saving an RP who's GM vanished, doesn't it?

hopefully I'll see you all around on the website, since I'll still be able to partake in RPs. But, as you all know, playing in an RP and running one are two totally different things. I'm really sorry to those of you who were looking forward to this, and I hope that you'll be able to work it out for yourselves.
If you're reading my RPs from the outside and like my writing, feel free to drop me a line! I'm always looking for new, fun partners. :D
Ons and offs

Alliance

I'll take a handle of this RP then? If no one minds. And Demon doesn't mind.

Revenent

I don't mind, as long as you don't mind that I be opening up my own Elder Scrolls RP soon (with a completely different story, of course). The plot is starting to come into my head a little more clearly now.

Alliance

Or maybe I should let this die and join yours Revenent?

Primarch

Quote from: Alliance on August 26, 2011, 05:58:26 PM
Or maybe I should let this die and join yours Revenent?

There's interested people and submitted characters here, if you're willing to run it, I'd say go for it.

Alliance

All right then I will run it. I don't have a lot of work.

Wednesdays and Saturdays are my school days. So bare with me on those days.

However, I am free and I do not have a lot to do.