The Department of Homeland Security has a special message for Walmart Customers

Started by Vekseid, December 11, 2010, 11:35:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vekseid

Walmart Public Service Announcement

From the comments:

I was at Walmart and after I saw this I sought out the manager. I let him know that I heard we are supposed to report suspicious behavior.

So I told him that a federal government cabinet secretary was using his store's video screens to fill his customers with fears about nonexistent attacks, and that it seemed suspiciously like fascism to me.

Sure

Talia

You want to laugh, followed by shaking your head. The fact that actual tax paying dollars went into this Public Service Announcement is absurd.
He looks at me and my heart starts skipping beats, my face starts to glow and my eyes start to twinkle.
Imagine what he would do to me if he smiled!

Smile... it's the second best thing to do with your lips.

On's & Off's
The Oath of Drake for Group RP's
A&A

Vekseid

It doesn't exactly top the illuminatus logo they were going to use, but it's still funny in a morbid sort of way.

Talia

Quote from: Vekseid on December 12, 2010, 01:16:17 AM
It doesn't exactly top the illuminatus logo they were going to use, but it's still funny in a morbid sort of way.

Yes, very true.

He looks at me and my heart starts skipping beats, my face starts to glow and my eyes start to twinkle.

On's & Off's
A&A

Oniya

Quote from: Vekseid on December 12, 2010, 01:16:17 AM

They were?  I wish they had - but that would have made things too easy.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Talia

Quote from: Sure on December 12, 2010, 12:37:37 AM
I don't see how this is different from the New York campaigns...

Are you talking about the 911 attacks and the public service announcements that followed ??

On's & Off's
A&A

Vekseid

Quote from: Oniya on December 12, 2010, 01:31:35 AM
They were?  I wish they had - but that would have made things too easy.

It was one of the proposed logos for a subdepartment, I forget which. They dropped it after the mockery got through to them.

Lilias

To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Mar 30) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Neroon

I would say that there is a simpler explanation. 

Someone in your government is fed up with the video messages of a shopping list of appropriate greetings in stores this time of year and so has decided to replace the "Happy Holidays, Christmas, Yule, Kwanzaa, Diwali etc." with a satirical reminder about how one's liberty can be threatened by an overzealous government chasing a threat that has been overexaggerated by its predecessor.

Somehow, though, I think once more a government has demonstrated that one cannot protect freedom by removing it.
Timeo Danaos et dona ferentes

My yeas and nays     Grovelling Apologies     Wiki
Often confused for some guy

Jude

I must be missing something because I don't understand what's wrong with this at all.  There's a good chance that she chose to inform Walmart customers about potential suspicious activity because they intercepted information that leads them to believe something regarding Walmart is likely to happen due to actual evidence.  I don't understand what's so absurd about that.  If you think about it, a terrorist attack in a store would be the perfect way to shoot down America's economic recovery:  make people afraid to shop during prime shopping season.

Revolverman

Quote from: Jude on December 12, 2010, 08:29:52 AM
If you think about it, a terrorist attack in a store would be the perfect way to shoot down America's economic recovery:  make people afraid to shop during prime shopping season.

Thats really a comment on how weak western economies really are.

Vekseid

The natural state of humans is not one of perpetual fear no matter how much you intend to claim otherwise. Nor is overbearing paranoia healthy.

Quote from: Revolverman on December 12, 2010, 08:56:25 AM
Thats really a comment on how weak western economies really are.

That's even assuming you agree with the premise, that 1) People would be afraid and 2) Wouldn't resort to online shopping.

Talia

*Rolls eyes.*

Yup, because nothing helps the economy more than putting fear into people. Perhaps if they made the spot a little more dramatic nobody would go shopping.

Oh, and instead of Walmart asking, "You if you want a cart," Wallmart could ask, "What hand gun type you would like." A sure way to bring the crazies out.

On's & Off's
A&A

Revolverman

Quote from: Talia on December 12, 2010, 09:05:57 AM
Oh, and instead of Walmart asking, "You if you want a cart," Wallmart could ask, "What hand gun type you would like." A sure way to bring the crazies out.

doesn't Wal-mart sell handguns already?

Quote from: Vekseid on December 12, 2010, 09:04:31 AM
That's even assuming you agree with the premise, that 1) People would be afraid and 2) Wouldn't resort to online shopping.

I meant more about how the economy is driven by consumption rather then production.

Vekseid

During the 1950's we were no less driven by consumption, but policy reflected that, and made the economy very strong. That isn't the case now.

Oniya

"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

MasterMischief

There is an entire website dedicated to reporting suspicious activity at Walmart.  Do these people even know about the interwebs?

http://www.peopleofwalmart.com/

Noelle

The only thing about this video that concerns me is her usage of the term "more safe".

Doomsday

Quote from: MasterMischief on December 12, 2010, 12:05:14 PM
There is an entire website dedicated to reporting suspicious activity at Walmart.  Do these people even know about the interwebs?

http://www.peopleofwalmart.com/

Ugh, the only website in the world more grotesque than 2girls1cup.

Serephino

Why do I think this was a PR thing in prime shopping season?  Of course people are going to want to give their money to a company that's dedicated itself to keeping America safe *rolls eyes*  Of course, yes, it could have the opposite effect and make people afraid to shop.  Then they'd be pretty much shooting themselves in the foot.  Personally, I'm getting really tired of the fear tactics. 

kylie

...  Wonders a little if this has anything to do the 2008 stampeding at a Walmart ...  Does kind of make it look like an easy place to incite a catastrophic attack, no?  :P  Then again, which kind of "suspcious" did they have in mind? 

Lots of people with dwindled paychecks at one of the few places they can soak up the cheaper foreign goods, crammed together in large numbers and racing with each other to bundle home a few symbolic finds.  All at a time of year when everyone is real big on keeping score to see who can still "provide" a hint of success story, while infrastructure and unemployment spending have been on the verge of choppings left and right.  Nah, no chance of trouble here... 

Also let's see, how are labor relations at Walmart lately?  Seems like there are more than a few people bearing tensions already...
QuoteFiled in 2001 on behalf of as many as 1.5 million female employees, the suit says Wal-Mart paid women less than men and gave them fewer opportunities for promotions—claims that could lead to billions of dollars in back pay and punitive damages.
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704156304576003313491986164.html