Messages Issue

Started by Nadir, September 28, 2011, 05:01:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nadir

So I've been doing some tidying in my inbox, deleting labels and conversations of games that died, etcetera. Then I open up a few of the labels that I'd not tampered with, and find all the messages that had been sorted into them had vanished. I know they were there a day ago because I had gone through four of them to send a break-down of upcoming plot events to a partner. They are just gone, now. If it were just those four labels, I wouldn't mind as I have the PM I sent to my partner, but it wasn't just that one.

Are the messages still in my inbox, somewhere, should I not freak out?

Oh. I think they are still there, maybe. But they have scattered themselves through my other labels.

This is a very peculiar bug.

Nadir

Is there a different way to see all the messages in your message area? Because when I sort them into labels I remove the inbox label, but the bug seems to not see when a label gets bumped up the list, when one above it is deleted, so the messages are generally shuffled to the next one down, like

Plotting for Gladiator
Plotting for HP - next gen
Natter with Miggles
Plotting for Dragonsmut

When the Gladiator label is deleted, most of the HP - next gen PMs turned up in Natter with Miggles and some in Dragonsmut, most of Miggles was also found there but all of Dragonsmut is vanished. The HP - next gen label also has nothing at all inside it.

So if there is a way to see all the PMs, I'd find it very helpful. Or I've essentially lost a hell of a lot of plotting and personal discussions.

Nadir

Okay, so I found a way to let me access the 'lost' PMs by simply making the same number of dud labels that I deleted, but I still hope Veks darling finds some time to fix it.

Oreo

I ran into the same problem when I deleted a couple of labels. I was afraid to mess with them further. I now have PMs arriving in the wrong label, but would rather not lose them altogether. The system seems to be sending the PMs to the labels above the one they actually belong in.

She led me to safety in a forest of green, and showed my stale eyes some sights never seen.
She spins magic and moonlight in her meadows and streams, and seeks deep inside me,
and touches my dreams. - Harry Chapin

Vekseid

Quote from: Eden on September 28, 2011, 09:59:21 PM
Okay, so I found a way to let me access the 'lost' PMs by simply making the same number of dud labels that I deleted, but I still hope Veks darling finds some time to fix it.

Never delete labels. Rename them. They are a horrific abortion of an implementation and are rather fragile, especially on a site this large.

jouzinka

Or remove the label from them, add "inbox" label, then delete the label, then delete the PMs?
Story status: Not Available
Life Status: Just keep swimming...
Working on: N/A

Vekseid

Well, if you add the inbox label to everything, remove all other labels, and delete all of your labels, that will be fine. It's also safe to delete your last label.

Nadir

Quote from: Vekseid on September 29, 2011, 07:25:31 AM
Never delete labels. Rename them. They are a horrific abortion of an implementation and are rather fragile, especially on a site this large.

*grins* Well I know that now. The conversations that didn't turn back up, I'm guessing they are lost forever to the cyber-ether?

Haibane

I feel your pain. I deleted some labels before and experienced all sorts of horrible weirdness. I raised the issue here and was given the same advice, though that thread is long buried by now, so its unsurprising if you never saw it or have forgotten it.

Perhaps the volatile nature of labels might be highlighted in one of the E-guides somewhere?

Nadir

*nods* Perhaps if it were mentioned in this tutorial

Martee

I had that weirdness happen when I foolishly deleted some no-longer-needed labels a little while back. After much tearing of hair and gnashing of teeth, I determined all my messages shifted up a slot wherever I deleted a label.  In any case, all the wayward messages were found, just scrambled all over the place.

Maybe they're not lost, Eden? Just sitting in the wrong slot? It's tedious to fix, I know... But even this system is better than none at all, so I'm not going to complain.

Status as of March 5th: In like a lion - only one response outstanding

Nadir

I already went through all of them, Martee, about a dozen are unaccounted for.

scruz87

I wasn't sure where to put this.  I hit report to moderator by accident.  I hope this doesn't have a negative impact on the poster.  I was on my phone and fat fingered the link.  I apologize for the error.
-Sara

Nadir

You mean I might finally get that castration I''ve been longing for? <3!

Haibane