Dragon Riders of Pern [Interest Check]

Started by Majere Dreavan, January 14, 2017, 01:25:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Majere Dreavan

hread is falling. The Red Star is on the horizon and all that work done by the brave riders during the ninth pass was for naught. Now, there are groups that hate and fear the new technology, and are attacking. Will you help us through this trying time?

Just checking interest for a semi strict Post Aivas Dragon Riders of Pern Group. Click the Logo to learn more, Leave a note if you're interested. Any deep questions can be answered here or PM, Thank you for your time.

Available for Adoption

Jr. Weyrwoman of Igen Weyr
?? Gold Corseth -10 Turns(Available for Adoption)

Jr Weyrwoman Igen Weyr
??Gold - 5 Turns(Not Available at this time)

Weyrling Gold
??1 Turn (Non-Adoptable at this time)

Jr. Weyrleader of Igen
?? Bronze ToropethAdoptable (Temporarily mated to Gold Corseth Of Jr. Weyrwoman Killara)

Jr. Weyrleader of Igen
??Bronze KoranilthAdoptable (Temporarily Mated to Gold ?? of Second Jr. Weyrwoman)

Weyrling Master
M'ran 45 TurnsBronze NoralthAdoptable (GM Approval required}

Assitant Weyrling Master
Position Open and Available

Assistant Weyrling Master
Position Open and Availalbe

Candidate Master
Bilarin 50 TurnsBlue MirtanathAdoptable (GM Approval Required)

Assistant Candidate Master

Assistant Candidate Master

Headwoman
ShamarPosition Open and Available

Character Template

NameInclude Nicknames in "quotes".
GenderWhat Gender your character Identifies as, and What sex they were born.
RankGreenrider, candidate, journeyman harper, etc.
Hair
Eyes
Height
Weight
DescriptionThe finer details of your characters appearance, scars, etc
HistoryShould be long enough to cover the important bits, short enough to still be interesting.
PersonalityBe detailed, but concise.
Honorific
PreferencesFor Candidates: What type of dragon would best Suit your character, you feel. Not color, you may pic A color you don't want to end up as, if one really irks you.
DragonFor Riders: Name of your dragon (separate template for dragons)
NotesAny final notes, etc.
Send filled templates to SweetSerenade and Myself Via PM, Please.
Dragon Template

NameInclude Nicknames in "quotes".
colorJust the basic Brown, green, blue etc
Rider's RankGreenrider, candidate, journeyman harper, etc.
AppearanceHere is where you can get into the details of special colors etc.
Personality
For riders

At present all adoptable positons are GM approved, just toss us a character sheet. Please everyone send in Character sheets if your interested. If there's an issue we'll talk through it.

SweetSerenade

Greetings and Salutations, I have arrived. Though I think I shall head to bed. I hope to see some interest on this!

Bakemono Shiki RP(Lovely Siggy Layout is thanks to Amaris)

Thorne

Interested, albeit my usual concerns about free-form games make me hesitant. ^^;
Writer of horrors, artist of mayhem.

Currently available, frequently lurking.
Ons and Offs
Absences and Apologies
Ideas and inspirations: small groups

AcademicCuriosity9110

Been a long time since I've read any of the books, but I'd be interested in this.

My request thread!

A/A thread Started/updated 02-22-23

Mac84

Wow! I've not read any of the Pern series since High School!

SweetSerenade

Wonderful to see so many interested people! What sort of characters are you interested in joining as?

I currently have a slew of characters I'll be making.  :3

TheSaneOne

I have an interest, but I still need to read and learn about the universe.

fireflights

I have taken the oath of the Drake

Livin in MD now.

Not taking anymore one on ones but ones already discussed with the partners.

SweetSerenade

Please feel free to click on the 'Skies of Fire' Tag in Maj's post, so you can review some information for this game! ;3 We are very excited to hear what people are interested in!

fireflights

I think I would be one of the ones who would be more for the technological advancements.

Livin in MD now.

SweetSerenade

Do you have an interest in a Weyrtown Folk? Holder? Crafter? Weyrfolk? Rider? :3

fireflights

Rider most likely, could go with Crafter though, but Rider is first thought

Livin in MD now.

SweetSerenade

That's awesome :3 I it's always nice to see people interested in Riders! ;3

Majere Dreavan

I'm interested in seeing Crafters and Runners. Runners especially.

SweetSerenade

xD Well Lieryn, one of my characters, is a Journeyman Beastcrafter with a Runner Specialty? xD

Thorne

Almost surely a Rider; Pern is largely responsible for my obsession with dragons.

Ons and Offs
Absences and Apologies

SweetSerenade

Do please look over all the details in the Skies of Fire Banner in Maj's first post ;3 I know it's a lot of information, but it'll be helpful in your decisions on whether you want to join this game or not. :3

fireflights

Question...

Gold Dragons
The Largest Dragons on Pern, and some of the rarest. Gold dragons are the only dragons, known, capable of clutching the eggs that create the next generation of dragons. You can always tell a Gold Dragon's egg, because it is often right at the front of the clutch being jealously guarded by it's mother. The Golden Egg, is the only egg that ever hatches a gold. A Gold dragon is capable of controlling any of the lower ranked dragons. Gold Dragons do fight in Threadfall, when it used to happen, by the use of a flamethrower their Rider used. Gold dragons lack the secondary stomach needed to produce flame.
Impression Standards: Heterosexual CisFemales, Leadership Qualities Required.
Statistic: In Traditional Pern Golds make up about 1% of the Pernese Dragon Population
Rising/Clutching Deatils: Rises once Every few turns when there is no threadfall, Rises about once a Turn when threadfall is present. Can clutch up to 25 eggs.

Does this mean you want a CIS female dragon rider or the dragon is a female?

Livin in MD now.

SweetSerenade

Only Cissexual Heterosexual human females can bond to a Gold Dragon. Just like only Cissexual Heterosexual human males can bond to bronze.

The Impression Standards are the rating of what humans these dragons will impress to.

There is no such thing as a Homosexual Dragon on Pern, or a Transgendered dragon for that matter. They were genetically engineered as a species from a specific source. That is not to say we won't allow homoromantic dragons, but all dragons are driven by their need to mate. Female dragons won't Chase female dragons. Male dragons won't rise to mate, and will definitely not mate with other male dragons in a failed mating flight.

Thorne

As I recall, that was one of the reasons there were so many of the greens; there was usually /something/ for the bronzes, browns and blues to chase.
... man, it does come back quickly.

I was thinking a green rider. I have someone in mind, just have to dig her out of the folder. Preferably without causing it to explode. ^^;

Ons and Offs
Absences and Apologies

SweetSerenade

Quote from: Thorne on January 14, 2017, 03:59:45 PM
As I recall, that was one of the reasons there were so many of the greens; there was usually /something/ for the bronzes, browns and blues to chase.
... man, it does come back quickly.

I was thinking a green rider. I have someone in mind, just have to dig her out of the folder. Preferably without causing it to explode. ^^;

Correct, Greens make up 50% of the Pernese dragon population.

fireflights

Got ya, well from what I was seeing there then, I'll be going for gold dragon :P

Livin in MD now.

SweetSerenade

Quote from: fireflights on January 14, 2017, 04:02:07 PM
Got ya, well from what I was seeing there then, I'll be going for gold dragon :P

There is only one adoptable Gold Dragon. The listing of those able to be adopted are within the Igen Clutch Detailing as well as 'Important People' of the Weyr.

SweetSerenade

Special GM NOTICE

The Position of Jr. Weyrwoman and the Rider of Gold Corseth (Hatched Turn 2012, So the dragon is 10 Turns old) Is a 'Try out' Position. This means we will be accepting Applications for the position. Once a minimum of three applications to be Corseth's rider (And this requires a profile for Corseth as well) has been completed, we will begin deciding which Rider/Corseth pair is best suited for our game.

fireflights

Well seeing as I don't like taking over people's already created character I will forgo the gold, I didn't see that the Green could accept cis hetero women, so I guess I'll go for that instead.

Livin in MD now.

SweetSerenade

Quote from: fireflights on January 14, 2017, 04:12:43 PM
Well seeing as I don't like taking over people's already created character I will forgo the gold, I didn't see that the Green could accept cis hetero women, so I guess I'll go for that instead.

The gold isn't an 'already created' character, the dragon is only named. But that's because it's considered an important position within the Weyr. No one currently plays that character.

There is clutch listings that detail Greens already hatched in Igen, so you can look through the lists of Hatched dragons at Igen, and find one that was from Igen - or discuss what Weyr your Green Rider might have transferred from.

fireflights

I see, I guess when you said that the position would be "applied for" I assumed it was a premade character. I don't truly wish to make the character only to be beat out by someone else though so I'll still go green. Where is this section you are talking about?

Livin in MD now.

SweetSerenade

Quote from: fireflights on January 14, 2017, 04:41:19 PM
I see, I guess when you said that the position would be "applied for" I assumed it was a premade character. I don't truly wish to make the character only to be beat out by someone else though so I'll still go green. Where is this section you are talking about?

If you click on the 'Skies of Fire' Banner that is in Maj's first post all of the information you need for the game is there. If you want to make an Igen based Green rider then you'll need to look at previous clutches. Which can be found in section 1.6.1.2 - Clutches of Igen Weyr. There is several clutches to choose from there, and you can find out what Greens survived, as well as who their 'parents' are. This will also help you know how old the Dragon is. As a note, Pernese now only start searching candidates at 16 Turns of age. So keep that in mind when you are making your rider as they could have only been searched at 16.

fireflights

I did and I am looking at all of it...

Okay...wait...sorry I only read the plot stuff and hadn't read about the Greens yet...so if I make a character...my character can be infertile unless you roll something between 90 and 100? .... that's only a 10 percent chance, not so sure I like that choice being taken from me...sigh

Livin in MD now.

Thorne

Greens being infertile is canon for the setting; iirc the weyrs don't have a problem with it. Something about being up to their necks in greens if the horny little buggers could clutch, or so. ^^;

Wish I could remember the exact quote, it made me giggle at the time.

Ons and Offs
Absences and Apologies

SweetSerenade

Quote from: fireflights on January 14, 2017, 04:46:17 PM
I did and I am looking at all of it...

Okay...wait...sorry I only read the plot stuff and hadn't read about the Greens yet...so if I make a character...my character can be infertile unless you roll something between 90 and 100? .... that's only a 10 percent chance, not so sure I like that choice being taken from me...sigh

The Dragon is infertile(Unless the specific situation mentioned, which would not apply to a full grown dragon. Only any that hatch IG. Since Greens start rising to mate at around 6-8 months of age), but Green riding females do often end up infertile due to all the jumps between.

The phrase "A short jump between." Is often a reference to a Rider (female) or someone that asks a rider to jump them between to help them abort an early term pregnancy. (No more than three months along)

fireflights

Well, at this point I'll try for the gold and if I fail, I fail.

Livin in MD now.

SweetSerenade

Quote from: fireflights on January 14, 2017, 04:53:03 PM
Well, at this point I'll try for the gold and if I fail, I fail.

Just so you are aware, Gold Riders are not allowed to raise their children, generally. As the duties of Jr. Weyrwoman/Weyrwoman are so numerous and important that they are unable to raise a child.

Also, as detailed in the information of the game - you will be asked to make the clutch, but me and Maj will be the ones that decide who impresses what dragons from a clutch.

May I ask why you decided against making a Green Rider?

Edit:

As a reminder! Pernese do not have Last names! They also usually have names that are a combination of their parents names. The names should not really be 'earth like' in any way.

For instance Lunesta is a name formed by combining Lunaris and Senestal

Morag is a name that appears like it comes from earth, but it does not. It's a combination of Benelag and Mordra. Her daughter Morrigan is a combination of Morag and T'rrigan. See how the names work? :3

fireflights

I guess currently at this point since I only started to read one of the books and never could finish it, even though I wanted to, I don't know enough about the setting to keep thinking I might know which is best to go with at this point. I have been reading up on Wiki but that's not as good a source as actually reading it and I'm getting a little discouraged all around that I could do the setting any good at this point so truth be told, I don't like taking the full option away for my character to possibly bear children, nor to not raise their own, so maybe I should just drop altogether and leave it for people who've been able to read the books and know the setting.

Livin in MD now.

SweetSerenade

Quote from: fireflights on January 14, 2017, 05:10:06 PM
I guess currently at this point since I only started to read one of the books and never could finish it, even though I wanted to, I don't know enough about the setting to keep thinking I might know which is best to go with at this point. I have been reading up on Wiki but that's not as good a source as actually reading it and I'm getting a little discouraged all around that I could do the setting any good at this point so truth be told, I don't like taking the full option away for my character to possibly bear children, nor to not raise their own, so maybe I should just drop altogether and leave it for people who've been able to read the books and know the setting.

Understood! I wish you safe travels. :3

Caela

This is so cool to see. I was actually re-reading the first few books over the summer while I was on break from school. :D Definitely interested.

Majere Dreavan

Thank you all for all your interest. Please tell your friends! lol

AcademicCuriosity9110

I'm still interested, but I'm also really unsure of what sort of character I want to play as. I'm definitely interested in a Rider or Candidate, but there are so many other possibilities that it's got me totally indecisive. Anything in particular that ya'll are looking for?

My request thread!

SweetSerenade

We are allowing players multiple characters, as they can handle them of course, so you can play more than one character if you desire! I personally have five in the works. One Bronze Rider, One Brown Rider, One Journeyman Harper, One Lord Holder's Daughter, and One Journeyman Beast crafter. :3

AcademicCuriosity9110

Quote from: SweetSerenade on January 16, 2017, 12:54:45 PM
We are allowing players multiple characters, as they can handle them of course, so you can play more than one character if you desire! I personally have five in the works. One Bronze Rider, One Brown Rider, One Journeyman Harper, One Lord Holder's Daughter, and One Journeyman Beast crafter. :3

I know, but I'm not much for multiple characters. At most, I might do up to three, more likely just one or two. We'll see.

On a side note, what exactly is meant by "demisexual"? I'm not familiar with that term.

My request thread!

SweetSerenade

Quote from: AcademicCuriosity9110 on January 16, 2017, 01:13:19 PM
I know, but I'm not much for multiple characters. At most, I might do up to three, more likely just one or two. We'll see.

On a side note, what exactly is meant by "demisexual"? I'm not familiar with that term.

Demisexual is usually a term applied to those that do not enter a sexual relationship unless a very strong emotional relationship has occurred first.

AcademicCuriosity9110

My request thread!

BitterSweet

I'm considering two characters:

A male blue Rider from the 2817 clutch and a male Bronze rider from the 2812 clutch.  There's only one Bronze from the 2812 clutch so I wanted to check before starting the character sheet for that guy.  Both riders will be cismen, blue: homosexual bisexual, bronze: straight.

I'd be interested in a wingleader position for the bronze rider if there's one open?

SweetSerenade

I don't see why there wouldn't be a Wingleader position? It's logical that a Bronze around 10 turns would be interested in a Wingleader position. :3 Go ahead and throw profiles together, and send them to me and Maj.

SweetSerenade

We are still very interested in getting this going! Please let us know if you are interested!

hiddenwithin

Wow.. Pern!

*does a happy dance!*

I need to read up on the information, but I wouldn't mind putting my feather in for the Gold. May also play green and perhaps another one or two depending on the number of people. :)

The Dark Raven

I'm totally in.  What's available for adoption/creation?  We are, I'm assuming per the wiki that we are 13th P, post-AIVAS Igen?

I've read all the books and have run or helped run numerous PBEM Weyrs.  I'm on it. :)

Check my A/A | O/O | Patience is begged. Momma to Rainbow Babies and teetering toward the goal of published author. Tentatively taking new stories.

Majere Dreavan

I'm really Glad we have some interest brewing, As soon as you have a character idea send it in so I can get a good list of what we can pull from :D  As for what's available for adoption and creation, I need to put a list of that on the front page, Thank you and I'll get that done now.

Caela

I'm still interested in this.

Do you guys still have my sheet or should I resubmit it?

hiddenwithin

I wouldn't mind adopting a green.

I haven't played on a PBEM game, but I did my first online MU* at several Pern-based games. Played crafter, holder and rider (every color dragon at one point or another!) Finding this.. is making me happy!

Majere Dreavan

I put up a list of important characters, but feel free to make sheets for something that isn't listed, just regular dragon riders, keep in mind there are very few of certain types, the Wiki Link is again the "Skies of Pern" logo

SweetSerenade

Also please note that our Jr. Weyrwoman position that IS available is a position that is a 'try out for' position. Essentially we will be accepting several applications for her, and whoever we think is the best fit for the game will be the one chosen.

If there are any questions please feel free to ask!

hiddenwithin

I would certainly like to try out for her - or even the one that isn't open at the moment down the road. *laughs*

Looking at the various information - it's been ages since I read the books. I might have to dig them out and give them another quick read-through again!

Wheeler97

I am tentatively interested... Just began a new 1v1 and need to be sure I can keep up with my partner before I commit to anything else. One post per week should be a manageable minimum, though.

As for what I'd play, I'm not sure yet. Obviously the immediate draw is a Rider, or even a candidate would be fun. Are you primarily looking to fill Weyr positions first, with the level of interest so far? Alternatively I'll consider a Journeyman of one of a few different crafts, or a Holder, either a Lord or a child of... So, apparently I'm really just considering everything. Such is my problem.

SweetSerenade

Just make sure to read over all the info, we have a lot of 'new' things available based on how we work. xD I would encourage EVERYONE that is joining to read all of the info created for Skies of Fire, because there is a lot you need to know about how this game works. :3

The Dark Raven

I am halfway done with my app for the gold.  I may make another minor character if my brain lets me (or an alternate if the gal doesn't pass muster). :)

Check my A/A | O/O | Patience is begged. Momma to Rainbow Babies and teetering toward the goal of published author. Tentatively taking new stories.

SweetSerenade

Well we are trying to get 3-5 apps for the Gold Rider (as she'll be the only playable one) - so we have a decent range to choose from. :3

Caela

My question probably got missed in the flurry of posting, but do you guys still have the sheet I sent in or do you need me to resend it?

Wheeler97

Quote from: Caela on March 07, 2017, 02:17:02 PM
My question probably got missed in the flurry of posting, but do you guys still have the sheet I sent in or do you need me to resend it?

If I may... There is an entry with your name in the Wiki category of Pern-SOF.

Quote from: SweetSerenade on March 06, 2017, 10:37:37 PM
Just make sure to read over all the info, we have a lot of 'new' things available based on how we work. xD I would encourage EVERYONE that is joining to read all of the info created for Skies of Fire, because there is a lot you need to know about how this game works. :3

There's so much there! SweetSerenade and Majere Dreavan, you have done a wonderful job on this so far. I've done my best to read over at least twice on most sections. xD If anything, the more I read the more I keep thinking up new options, rather than narrowing them. Still, I'm tempted to write up a Lord Holder's Son that is less than pleased with still tithing after a pass is 150 turns late. Who needs dragons when thread should never come again? Undecided on their stance on technology.

SweetSerenade

Caela I haven't been able to dig your submission up. Unfortunately. That entry that was found was for the 'accepted' character before I was paired up with a new co-GM. That's from the previous version that I tried to run.

As for you, Wheeler, You are welcome to be a Lord Holder's son, just make sure to review the ones that actually have children and anything like that. I put more than enough information there. I'd look into the ones that are tied to the Igen Weyr Territory first, and keep in mind that if it's the Heir they won't ever get searched. xD

Caela

Quote from: SweetSerenade on March 07, 2017, 04:05:27 PM
Caela I haven't been able to dig your submission up. Unfortunately. That entry that was found was for the 'accepted' character before I was paired up with a new co-GM. That's from the previous version that I tried to run.

As for you, Wheeler, You are welcome to be a Lord Holder's son, just make sure to review the ones that actually have children and anything like that. I put more than enough information there. I'd look into the ones that are tied to the Igen Weyr Territory first, and keep in mind that if it's the Heir they won't ever get searched. xD

I'll find it and resubmit.

Resent

Amarlo

Oh man... I read this series back when I was in middle school. It has been a loooong time, I barely remember anything about it anymore!

I have interest, but I don't feel confident enough with my knowledge anymore to step back into the setting, so I think I'll just end up becoming one of your dedicated game stalkers. :P

Seduce my mind and my body will follow.
Amarlo's O&Os
Absences and Apologies

hiddenwithin

Quote from: Amarlo on March 08, 2017, 07:22:18 PM
Oh man... I read this series back when I was in middle school. It has been a loooong time, I barely remember anything about it anymore!

I have interest, but I don't feel confident enough with my knowledge anymore to step back into the setting, so I think I'll just end up becoming one of your dedicated game stalkers. :P

Be one of the hold members. Or a crafter.. Or.. there's a lot you can do, I'm certain! :)

SweetSerenade

We also provide a ridiculous amount of information for hour our particular setting works. xD

Wheeler97

Quote from: Amarlo on March 08, 2017, 07:22:18 PM

Oh, there are plenty here that you could always chat with about it. Most of everything in the Wiki that Sweet and Majere have set up should be enough to manage. I've only the main three books under my belt. There's a lot I don't know about the story, particularly AVAIS, but I'm willing to learn.

Sweet, I had seen a comment from Majere back a ways about runners... Are even the pro-technology Holds and Weyrs falling back on them? What's the state of telegrams in your game, do you think? The first were being built by the Smiths in Dragonquest, if I recall correctly.

Amarlo

Such vile tempters and temptresses! Dx

Seduce my mind and my body will follow.
Amarlo's O&Os
Absences and Apologies

SweetSerenade

Runners are still the main source, and while there are telegraph lines between Major holds - You can't expect even cotholds or minor holds to have as much access. Runners and Dragons are still the best way to get messages delivered faster than by foot.

hiddenwithin

*peeks in again*

Checking in, seeing what's up! :)