News:

Main Menu

DnD Newbie

Started by NotCarrot, February 21, 2011, 04:55:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NotCarrot

Today I took a few more steps down the path of hopeless dorkdom, and got a DnD 4th Edition player's handbook.

Anyone have suggestions for finding a local group (for DnD or other tabletop games)? I have a couple friends who'd be interested, but one's in New York most of the year and the other has even stranger schedules at work than I do. Also, I know I'd probably end up GMing for them, and I'd like to actually play a little.

Star Safyre

*keeps her 4E loathing to herself*

If you have a few friends you want to play with but don't want to always bear the burden of DMing, I'd suggest having each game session be DMed by a different person.  Treat each game as a one-shot for simplicity sake, and perhaps consider using premade characters created by either the DM of the session or each player.  Also, don't discount a DM's ability to play along.  DMs can have their own characters and also get to technically play the NPCs and monsters as well.

Have fun!
My heaven is to be with him always.
|/| O/O's / Plots / tumblr / A/A's |/|
And I am a writer, writer of fictions
I am the heart that you call home
And I've written pages upon pages
Trying to rid you from my bones

Silverfyre

Also, depending on where you live, you might have a local gaming store nearby.  Check with the people who work there: many tend to have a bulletin board where local players can find groups and what not.  Most gaming stores even run games there on site, so that might be something else to consider.  And there is always the power of the internet.  Type in the name of your town or the surrounding area with the type of game you want and see what comes up.  Work your google-fu.

And finally, check out forum sites like those on Wizards of the Coast's web site or some of the larger gamer communities, such as ENWorld.org and the like.  You often can find local players that way.

Oniya

We did the rotating GM thing as well, to the point where we had things like 'Janet's World', 'Mike's World', 'Gus's World', etc.  It wasn't always one night per GM, but one campaign at a time, and the co-GMs would have the time between their turns 'at bat' to come up with what to do next.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

HairyHeretic

Try doing a search for local gaming stores to start with. If your library has a noticeboard, put up a notice there. University campus's tend to be good spots to find gamers too.

You could also try posting on some other gaming forums, see if there is anyone local.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Myrleena

Another idea is www.Penandpapergames.com.  I've found a few good players for my Pathfinder game on there, and have seen a couple of 3.5 and 4e games pop up, and I'm in Utah.  Not as many gamers around here.

NotCarrot

Thanks to everyone who's given suggestions. I found a gaming store not too far from where I am that has a weekly DnD session, I'm going to check that out.

And I didn't mean to downplay the importance/fun of DMing, I just meant that I figured I'd be better able to do so if I got some experience in someone *else's* campaign first.

Star Safyre

Quote from: NotCarrot on February 22, 2011, 03:13:03 PM
And I didn't mean to downplay the importance/fun of DMing, I just meant that I figured I'd be better able to do so if I got some experience in someone *else's* campaign first.

True, quite true.

And let us know how it goes!
My heaven is to be with him always.
|/| O/O's / Plots / tumblr / A/A's |/|
And I am a writer, writer of fictions
I am the heart that you call home
And I've written pages upon pages
Trying to rid you from my bones

HairyHeretic

Quote from: NotCarrot on February 22, 2011, 03:13:03 PM
Thanks to everyone who's given suggestions. I found a gaming store not too far from where I am that has a weekly DnD session, I'm going to check that out.

Not necessarily. I hadn't played too many games before I started GMing AD&D. IIRC what I had played previously was Ghostbusters, Robotech, and a little MERP. The fact that you want to run the game is probably one of the more important factors right there :)
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Oniya

Both aspects of the game are fun.  The thing is that not everyone is really 'cut out' to GM, and those that are tend to get stuffed into that role to the exclusion of getting to play.  Having an agreement that you can swap out and play from time to time is quite helpful in that regard.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17