(recruiting) Dawn of Man (PF, NC/EX)

Started by Zenkai, March 04, 2018, 11:51:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zenkai

The world was never a welcoming place. Life is hard, even in the fertile, hot valley and its Twin rivers, where crops should be plentiful and water sweet. To the north, mountains house squat, industrious, xenophobic creatures, who descend from their strongholds only for plunder. To the south, vast deserts inhabited by nomadic tribes of orcs. These tall, dark-skinned, slim creatures delight in torturing trespassers. To the west, gentle rolling hills and greenery conceal a race of lazy, dull midgets. To the east, the vast ocean holds innumerable secrets, as well as thousands of sunken ships. Even the ground beneath men's feet are not safe - numerous mounds and hills hide passages into the underworld; invasions of monstrous creatures made the countryside unsafe ever since the Bronze Empire collapsed.

Thick-walled cities, densely populated and strictly regulated, offer a measure of safety. However, within their walls men prey on eachother, and hopes of safety quickly wither in face of reality. Society is strictly patriarchal, girls are guests in the family to be married off for financial gain, wives are property. Most people never venture further than ten miles from their home. The few that manage to find some sort of freedom are by necessity adventurers. Trade is a sort of adventure in itself, with ancient roads connecting the cities being in disrepair, and the priest-kings frowning upon any profit that bypasses their own coffers. People are as much a commodity as silver and gold, and slavery is present as government indenture as well as private slavery.

Cities are surrounded with thick walls, often lavishly decorated with glazed bricks and wondrous friezes. Siege machinery does not exist yet to challenge them. An additional and extremely important function of the walls is to protect the city from floods.

In the villages and hamlets surrounding the walls, life is much the same, only with different enemies. Monsters are frequent visitors to these settlements, but most often restrict themselves to stealing livestock and food.

The most common monsters are goblins. They have the size, strength and intelligence of children. Goblins form bands that live in caves and ruins, from which they raid villages, steal supplies, and sometimes abduct women. Although they're quick to bow to stronger races, goblins believe they are the most important creatures in the world, and take joy in tormenting those weaker than them. They do things like steal livestock all the time, but when things get worse than that, people come to the priest-kings, asking for help. And "worse than that" seems to show up every single day. What makes goblins even more dangerous is their ability to learn from defeat. Every time a goblin from a destroyed nest survives, he can form a new nest and teach other goblins how to avoid the same fate. All it takes is a female falling into the clutches of a goblin.

Dark elf assassins, evil sects, necromancers... the priest-kings are too busy dealing with bigger problems to worry about goblins. And adventurers want enemies that will bring them more fame. This leaves villagers to their own devices. Often, they don't survive. With the amount of people inside city walls, it is a simple matter to find enough settlers to re-settle a hamlet of thirty souls.

This is where you come in. Somehow, your small group gas been chosen to help one of these threatened villages, and help them clean out a goblin infestation.

* The game will be in NC-exotic, because of the possibility of tentacles and monsters.
* The setting is a low fantasy homebrewn world based on ancient Mesopotamia.
* Plot takes precedence over smut. Defeated male characters will be enslaved. Defeated female characters will fare worse. There will be ample opportunity for smut apart from this.
* Pathfinder, 1st level, 20 point buy. Characters should be 3rd or 4th level by the end of the first adventure.
* Divine casters by divine concept only - deities will be earned in play.
* Human characters only for now.
* Automatic bonus progression with a +1 bonus on the table will be used. Magic items are rare, but not unknown. Items that only grant bonuses to AC, saving throws, and ability scores don't exist in this variant, and wish and similar spells never grant inherent bonuses to ability scores. Magic weapons and armor do exist, but grant only special abilities, not enhancement bonuses. More on http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/unchained/magic/automaticBonusProgression.html
* To save time, we'll be using group initiative. This means all PCs act in order of posting (AC and HP for enemies will be visible, you will be rolling your own attack rolls and damage). Once all PCs have their actions (or 2-3 days pass), all NPCs take their actions. Initiative bonuses can be used instead of attack bonus in the first round of engagement. PCs will usually act first, unless there's an ambush. Some special abilities will need special attention such as stating your intentions in your post. An ASCII map will be used for more complicated situations.
* Anything else found in http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/ apart from obviously unsuitable things like gunslinger.

Character sheet thread: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=284083.0
Wiki link: https://elliquiy.com/wiki/Private:DawnofMan

towerhouse

Interested!  Possible vigilante or synthesist?
-TH

On/Offs

Thorne

Interesting idea..
Using the auto-bonus progression (low magic) out of Unchained?
Writer of horrors, artist of mayhem.

Currently available, frequently lurking.
Ons and Offs
Absences and Apologies
Ideas and inspirations: small groups

ThatFantasticBard

This sounds like an interesting idea, I'd certainly be up for joining.

Pipaluk

If I’ve only played 5e a handful of times, how difficult would it be to pick up pathfinders?

Zenkai

Quote from: Thorne on March 05, 2018, 12:27:09 AM
Interesting idea..
Using the auto-bonus progression (low magic) out of Unchained?

That's a great idea. But there will be some magical items, however, so not low magic progression. I'll take the middle ground, with a +1 level bonus on the table. Magic items are uncommon, but not unknown.

Here's a cookie.

Quote from: Pipaluk on March 05, 2018, 06:38:27 AM
If I’ve only played 5e a handful of times, how difficult would it be to pick up pathfinders?

Not difficult at all. All the relevant rules are in the link above. You really just need to pick a a character class, as all PCs will be human in the start.

I'll be updating the initial post later with some additional information.

Arcanist

Definitely interested. A fighter methinks
Choice is but an Illusion. Consequences are however real.

Zenkai

I think that's more than enough interest to get this thing rolling. We're officially in the recruitment phase. Please post your character sheets here, and we'll roll from there. I don't have a particular taste for character sheet formats, headers, or pictures. Perhaps just an image to know which character you post for? Anyone have a suitable header handy?

Arcanist

Hi Zenkai,
Just wondering what the starting gold to purchase weapons, Armor and equipment.
Are there any restrictions to weapons and Armor due to your world? Looking at a two handed weapon. If I am not mistaken, Mesopotamia weapons tend to be curved. Will a Falchion be ok?
Regards,
Arcanist

Zenkai

It is a fantasy version of Mesopotamia, so I'll allow a bit of extravagance. A falchion is not extravagant, though - just a slab of metal made for chopping. Go right ahead.
Starting gold is standard (average for class), purchase to your heart's content from the PRD, but I reserve the right to veto silliness.

Pipaluk

Evelyn
Female Human rogue 1
CG Medium humanoid (human)
Init +4, Senses Perception +5

Brief Bio:
Evelyn never liked the idea that she was merely property--a burden or a guest in the home just waiting to be married off--so when she was younger she ran away becoming something of a street thief. She had always kept her hair short when she was younger, it was easier to pass as a boy. Throughout her childhood, she survived by stealing and fleeing through the streets, ducking in and around objects, scaling walls, and escaping whatever trouble pursued her.

Eventually as she grew older, she realized the exceptional agility and other skills she developed as a child would be excellent for adventuring. So she became an adventurer.
=================================================
DEFENSE
AC 15, touch 13, flat-footed 12 (+2 armor, +3 Dex, )
hp 10 ((1d8)+2)
Fort +2, Ref +6, Will +1

OFFENSE
Speed 20 ft.
Melee dagger +4 (1d4-1/19-20)
Ranged dagger (thrown) +4 (1d4/19-20)
Ranged dart +4 (1d4)
Ranged crossbow, light +4 (1d8/19-20)
Special Attacks Sneak Attack 1d6,

TACTICS

STATISTICS
Str 8, Dex 18, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 12, Cha 14,
Base Atk +0; CMB -1; CMD 13
Feats Stealthy, Weapon Finesse
Skills Acrobatics +5, Acrobatics (Jump) +1, Disable Device +6, Escape Artist +7, Perception +5, Perception (Trapfinding) +6, Perform (Sing) +6, Profession (Midwife) +5, Sense Motive +6, Sleight of Hand +5, Stealth +7,
Traits Dirty Fighter, Suspicious,
Languages Common
SQ bonus feat, bonus rogue talent, skilled, trapfinding,
Combat Gear
Other Gear dagger, dart (10), leather, outfit (explorer's), bolts, crossbow (10) (2), bolt, crossbow (20), crossbow, light, 84.0 gp
SPECIAL ABILITIES
Bonus Feat Humans select one extra feat at 1st level.

Bonus Rogue Talent The human gains +1/6 of a new rogue talent.

Dirty Fighter You wouldn't have lived to make it out of childhood without the aid of a sibling, friend, or companion on whom you could always count to distract your enemies long enough to do a little bit more damage than normal. When you hit a foe you are flanking, you deal an additional 1 point of damage (this damage is added to your base damage, and is multiplied on a critical hit). This additional damage is a trait bonus.

Skilled Humans gain an additional skill rank at first level and one additional rank whenever they gain a level.

Sneak Attack (Ex) If you can catch an opponent when he is unable to defend himself effectively from your attack, you can strike a vital spot for extra damage. Your attack deals 1d6 points of extra damage anytime your target would be denied a Dexterity bonus to AC, or when you flank your target. Should you score a critical hit with a sneak attack, this extra damage is not multiplied. Ranged attacks can count as sneak attacks only if the target is within 30 feet. With a weapon that deals nonlethal damage, you can make a sneak attack that deals nonlethal damage instead of lethal damage. You cannot use a weapon that deals lethal damage to deal nonlethal damage in a sneak attack, not even with the usual -4 penalty. You must be able to see the target well enough to pick out a vital spot and must be able to reach such a spot. You cannot sneak attack while striking a creature with concealment.

Suspicious You discovered at an early age that someone you trusted, perhaps an older sibling or a parent, had lied to you, and often, about something you had taken for granted, leaving you quick to question the claims of others. You gain a +1 trait bonus on Sense Motive checks, and Sense Motive is always a class skill for you.

Trapfinding (Ex) You add +1 to Perception skill checks made to locate traps and to Disable Device skill checks. You can use the Disable Device skill to disarm magical traps.

Chulanowa

You have my interest; I'll start working on something after work  ;D

Zenkai

profession (midwife)? hmm.

You did notice the part about initiative being slightly different for this game, right?

Pipaluk

I think I did when I initially read it, but didn't register when I was making character. Will update.

Taking Dirty Fighter in place of Reactionary.

Revelation

Definitely very interested. Not sure what i'll make - something hard hitting though since we seem to have a lot of other archetypes covered. Heading into work soon, but thinking Barbarian, Slayer, or Bloodrager for initial ideas, someone who knows the wilds to some extent. Maybe Hunter.

Thorne

Hrmn. Might take the opportunity to set up as a ranger, then. I think I have one of those in the folder.

Or... hrm. Let me see what I have in the folder.

Ons and Offs
Absences and Apologies

Zenkai

Don't be afraid to try something new :)

Thorne

Yhess... sadly, the folder got added to, because the only bard in it up until now was.. half orc. Not gonna fly. Oh well.

Sabri
Female human bard 1
Perhaps she was fortunate. Sabri cannot judge that from within; she knows only that her fortune has not been her own since birth.
This is a fact that has never been kept from her, although as a child, she was allowed to pursue her interests however she wished, as long as she maintained a façade appropriate to the world outside. If her interests had been different, perhaps it would not be so, but Sabri is a fine dancer, a pretty songbird with a delicate façade and ... as at least one suitor has found to his detriment, a painful bite.

Perhaps she is fortunate. Rather than punish her for attempting to preserve her own value, her father had her smuggled out, with supplies such as could be spared, and a warning... she could not, would not, find shelter under his roof again. Perhaps he wept. Sabri will never know.

The city streets were no safe place for such a flower. Sabri has managed to eke out a living despite that, dancing with scarf and fan - and occasionally, with steel - earning the coins she needs to disappear properly.

crunch

NG Medium humanoid (human)
Init +3; Senses Perception +4
--------------------
Defense
--------------------
AC 16, touch 13, flat-footed 13 (+3 armor, +3 Dex)
hp 8 (1d8)
Fort +0, Ref +5, Will +2 (+2 bonus vs. mind-affecting effects); +1 trait bonus vs. illusion effects., +2 trait bonus vs effects with the lawful descriptor.
--------------------
Offense
--------------------
Speed 30 ft. (20 ft. in armor)
Melee dagger +3 (1d4+1/19-20) or
. . scorpion whip (aa) +3 (1d4+1)
Ranged light crossbow +3 (1d8/19-20)
Space 5 ft.; Reach 5 ft. (10 ft. with scorpion whip (aa))
Special Attacks bardic performance 6 rounds/day (countersong, distraction, fascinate [DC 12], inspire courage +1)
Bard Spells Known (CL 1st; concentration +3)
. . 1st (2/day)—liberating command[UC], play instrument[UM]
. . 0 (at will)—detect magic, mending, prestidigitation, unwitting ally[APG] (DC 12)
--------------------
Statistics
--------------------
Str 12, Dex 16, Con 11, Int 14, Wis 10, Cha 14
Base Atk +0; CMB +1; CMD 14
Feats Steadfast Personality[ACG], Weapon Finesse
Traits charming, focused mind
Skills Acrobatics +0 (-4 to jump), Diplomacy +6, Disguise +6, Knowledge (arcana) +3, Knowledge (dungeoneering) +3, Knowledge (engineering) +3, Knowledge (geography) +3, Knowledge (history) +3, Knowledge (local) +7, Knowledge (nature) +3, Knowledge (nobility) +7, Knowledge (planes) +3, Knowledge (religion) +3, Perception +4, Perform (dance) +6, Perform (percussion instruments) +6, Perform (sing) +6, Sense Motive +5, Stealth +4
Languages Common, Elven, Goblin
SQ bardic knowledge +1
Gear
Carried/worn: studded leather armor, crossbow bolts (20), dagger, light crossbow, scorpion whip (aa), backpack, belt pouch, hip flask[UE], waterskin.
Backpack: bedroll,  hemp rope (50 ft.), mess kit[UE], mirror, pot, soap, torch (5), trail rations (5),
Belt Pouch: flint and steel, 5 gp
--------------------
Special Abilities
--------------------
Bardic Knowledge +1 (Ex) Add +1 to all knowledge skill checks.
Bardic Performance (standard action, 6 rounds/day) Your performances can create magical effects.
--------------------
Notes: Most of her Performances are likely going to be dance or song-based, things she doesn't need an instrument for. I have my eye on a feat that she might take later that I may use to work percussion into her routines... while she's dropping bodies on the floor. In 4/4 time! Heh. I kid, probably...
Hero Lab and the Hero Lab logo are Registered Trademarks of LWD Technology, Inc. Free download at http://www.wolflair.com
Pathfinder® and associated marks and logos are trademarks of Paizo Inc.®, and are used under license.

Ons and Offs
Absences and Apologies

ThatFantasticBard

I'm thinkin about making an Inquisitor for this.

Quick question, how many people do you plan on having for this game?

Arcanist

Enlil
Tagging:
Active Effects:
HP: 12 / 12 AC: 18 (T: 13, FF: 15) CMD: 18 (+19 CMD to Bull Rush and Disarm)
Initiative: +2 Speed: 30 /20 Perception Bonus: +5

1st level Fighter

Ability Scores:
Strength:      18 (+4)          Dexterity:    14 (+2)
Constitution: 14 (+2)          Intelligence: 10 (+0)
Wisdom:       10 (+0)          Charisma:    10 (+0)

Misc. Information:
AC:    18  Touch AC: 13    Flat Footed 15
Hit Points:      12             CMB/CMD:    +4/18 (+19 CMD against Bull Rush and Disarm)
Initiative:      +2              Speed:         30/ 20
Attack:          +4 Melee
                    +2 Ranged
                    +5 Falchion 2D4+9 18-20/x2

Skills:
Acrobatics:              -3        Appraise:       +0        Bluff:                +0
Climb:                     -1        Diplomacy:    +0        Disguise:           +0
Escape Artist:          -3         Fly:              -3         Craft (Weapon).  +4
Heal:                      +0        Intimidate:    +0        Perception:        +5
Profession (Soldier) +4         Ride:            +1        Sense Motive:    +5           
Stealth:                  -3         Survival        +4         Swim:               +0     

Saving Throws:
Fortitude Save:   +4      Reflex Save:    +2      Will Save:         +0

Feats:
Dodge: +1 Dodge Bonus to AC
Power Attack: -1 to Melee Attack Rolls to gain +2 bonus to Melee damage
Furious Attack: When wielding weapons 2 handed, you do not suffer penalty to Power Attack melee attack rolls

Traits:
Sensitive Mind
Seeker

Description:
Gender: Male                        Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Age:      18                               Race: Human         
Height:  6' 0:                            Weight:      200ibs
Hair:     Black (Midnight Blue)     Eyes:          Grey
Skin:      Tanned                           
Languages Spoken: Ccommon

Equipment:
Weapons:
Falchion

Armor:
Scale Mail

Backpack - Fighter's kit, Survival Kit, Craft Tools - Weaponsmithing

Belt Pouch - 50GP

Background:
The sun has been up for hours. It looks like mid-morning, the smells of the town are not too fantastic. Then again, so is the smell coming from me. I miss the feel of being soaked in scented water. Inanna would always draw one in time for me when I return home. The town is much smaller compared to Nippur. Thinking back, he remembers little his childhood. Not so much the servants and the woman he thinks is his mother. He has many brothers he thinks. Yes, brother in arms, but no longer. He remembers the move to the barracks, the training, the drills, the fights and the relentless transformation into a killing machine. He killed his first at aged 10.

A crowd gathers as he continues to remember. To find some clue as to what happened to him. His mind summons forth the image of Inanna. He was but 16 and she younger, a Virgin Flamekeeper. His brothers saw him smitten and encouraged him to woo her. His clumsy attempts bringing much mirth to them. Weeks past and finally with courage fueled with drink he seals the bargain. Little did he know that fling tied his destiny with her. That night was their first. He remembers to look of her beautiful face half covered by her long hair, the shape of her breasts before him, the feeling of her weaving her magic on top of him and feel of him in her.

A song breaks his memories. He looks up, a street entertainer. She is adequate. Perhaps with training, she will be very good. The crowd becomes more. All he needs is to stand guard. The rich are out an about today. The face of the entertainer morphs to that of Inanna. Inanna..sweet Inanna...I wake finding her naked beside me, unmoving. My blade impaled between her breasts. Blood everywhere. I do not remember. Bodies all around. Blood...Laughter....I close my eyes again and open them, just as Inanna's eyes do. They look at me pleadingly. I am covered in her blood.

The mists, I am surrounded by mists. I am wondering in a marsh away from heartbreak. But it hunts me relentlessly. I open my eyes, they are moist to touch as I rub them. Bringing my hand down I feel another. A softer arm as I grab instinctively. "Little girl, you seem unlucky today. Or perhaps it is fate."

Arcanist

This is what I got so far. Could you have a look Zenki and comment?
Was wondering if he could be part of the guard or armed forces of the city/state. Will complete Background then.
Not sure of the armor type used in the military of your world

Chulanowa

Debating whether I wanna go male or female. have ideas for either (leaning towards arcane caster / oracle though)

schnookums

Any chance some inspiration was drawn in part from the Goblin Slayer manga/light novels? Just curious. In any case I'm definitely interested, would really love to play a Shaman

Zenkai

Goblin Slayer was one of the inspirations, also some other goblin stories from1d4chan and similar places, also my own RPG mishaps involving goblins. The latter caused all the goblins in my campaign world to have the war cry "Died in the forest!". Heh. I should write up that one sometime. Bottom line, they're a bit nonstandard even though there's no mechanical difference to vanilla goblins apart from the reproduction method. The rest of the world has no resemblance to the Goblin Slayer world, if that's what you're wondering.

Please use only what's availabla on Paizo's PRD. Apart from that, Sabri looks fine. I already have a plot hook or two for her in mind.

I plan to split PCs into groups of 3 or 4 to keep posting rate up. Unless you guys prefer to stick together and want to make it a slower paced game. Expect the IC thread to open when we have 3 characters ready to play.

Enlil? Good man. Have a cookie ♦. You do realize that with a name like that, you're forcing me to do things to your character?  O:) The scale mail is common for elite warriors, made of bronze but without the fragile quality. It does get uncomfortable in the summer heat, however. There is even bronze plate, but that is usually used only by chariot-riding nobles. Leather and brigandine are common, Scalemail for military types, chainmail is very rare and of dwarvish make. You can be an ex elite from a city. I could come uip with a reason why Enlil was forced to flee his former secure position, if you don't want to.  :-)

Btw, these cookies can be used in game for special benefits. Just sayin'

Remember that all divine casters start godless. If there's interest in the whole god thing, I'll elaborate at length.

Shamans fit perfectly into the setting.

So, a midwife, a demigod, and a runaway bride enter a tavern. The tavernkeeper looks up at them, and runs away.

Arcanist

Looking sheepish

Yes, I think using a Mattock would be overdoing it  XD