A New City and A New God (D&D 5e Kingdom Building)

Started by Conundrum, December 28, 2020, 09:57:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Conundrum

Quote from: Mosos on December 31, 2020, 02:10:28 PM
Would taking a reflavored simic hybrid (possibly as a prewar chimeric living weapon.) be acceptable?

Yes, that is fine, it would be an example of a race generally few enough in number to not be regarded as noteworthy until encountered.

The only race I will disallow is kenku, they annoy me and I generally find them unfitting as PCs.
If I have not responded to a post in 4 days, send me a PM as I may have missed it.

Zaer Darkwail

Quote from: Conundrum on December 31, 2020, 03:52:37 PM
I will send you a PM on Fallen since warlocks will have a bit extra going on due to the setting.

*thumbs up*

Also can send in said PM which versions you approve as well? One The Fallen comes from GM's guild so semi-official. While another is just homebrew. Albeit despite exact pact, plan go for 'The Fallen' as entity as patron (a fallen celestial entity). Also edit alignment off.

ReijiTabibito

Two questions.  I saw your post saying you were capping this game at 5 characters.  How many do you have thus far?  And what range of stuff is permissible?  IE, do you allow Unearthed Arcana and what official books are you allowing?

Ryu Wojin

Having read the setting, I'd like to ask Conundrum if Bladesinging could be in the same vein of being secretive and unknown as pacts with warlocks?

My idea is that I may be apart of a hidden elf group in the neutral lands. The elves, getting tired of being preyed upon by slavers or tried to be rallied agaisnt Zakar, have decided to secretly militarize forces to combat foreign influence. So they made a band of secret warriors who perfected the bladesinging technique. My character, since birth, has been apart of this order. But decided to seek her own freedom since they were effectively denying hers. So bladesinging would come across as a mystery to my allies and perhaps a daunting and horrifying tune to my enemies simply because they don't understand it.

Which also could raise interesting encounters when people do understand it. Kind of like Rurouni Kenshin and his secret swordstyle. But also in the same vein of Rurouni kenshin, my character is more interested in tinkering and magical inventions than killing people with her secret style.

Would definately like to have a scene where someone underestimates her and calls her a nerd. Only for her to wipe the floor with them.

Conundrum

Quote from: ReijiTabibito on December 31, 2020, 04:40:13 PM
Two questions.  I saw your post saying you were capping this game at 5 characters.  How many do you have thus far?  And what range of stuff is permissible?  IE, do you allow Unearthed Arcana and what official books are you allowing?

I haven't officially accepted anyone yet as I have not fully gone over sheets yet.  Right now anything official is allowed except Kenku.  I have not read every UA so while they should be fine if something is really off I don't know of I will disallow it when I found out it is really off.  Homebrew and third party is allowed as well if you ask about it.

Quote from: Ryu Wojin on December 31, 2020, 04:41:36 PM
Having read the setting, I'd like to ask Conundrum if Bladesinging could be in the same vein of being secretive and unknown as pacts with warlocks?

My idea is that I may be apart of a hidden elf group in the neutral lands. The elves, getting tired of being preyed upon by slavers or tried to be rallied agaisnt Zakar, have decided to secretly militarize forces to combat foreign influence. So they made a band of secret warriors who perfected the bladesinging technique. My character, since birth, has been apart of this order. But decided to seek her own freedom since they were effectively denying hers. So bladesinging would come across as a mystery to my allies and perhaps a daunting and horrifying tune to my enemies simply because they don't understand it.

Which also could raise interesting encounters when people do understand it. Kind of like Rurouni Kenshin and his secret swordstyle. But also in the same vein of Rurouni kenshin, my character is more interested in tinkering and magical inventions than killing people with her secret style.

Would definately like to have a scene where someone underestimates her and calls her a nerd. Only for her to wipe the floor with them.

The secret warlock stuff is that since they are contact with what are normally extra-planar entities those entities give them access to information others would not normally know.
If I have not responded to a post in 4 days, send me a PM as I may have missed it.

Ryu Wojin

Yeah, thats the concept I'm saying XD. Bladesinging was a secret enough concept.. I was just suggesting it be as secret as that so it causes wonder and mystique when people witness it.

SilkenVenom

So, maybe I'm missing something, but I don't really understand what the goal is. From the sound of things, the city already exists and is fairly powerful if it was capable of fighting a war. What are we supposed to be building? I feel like there is some information missing here.

And are you able to provide the PDF or whatever of what this Kingdom stuff is? I feel like not having it is detrimental.

Conundrum

Quote from: Ryu Wojin on January 01, 2021, 11:11:24 PM
Yeah, thats the concept I'm saying XD. Bladesinging was a secret enough concept.. I was just suggesting it be as secret as that so it causes wonder and mystique when people witness it.

So you want to be a wizard who made a pact with an extraplanar entity?

Quote from: SilkenVenom on January 02, 2021, 10:57:09 PM
So, maybe I'm missing something, but I don't really understand what the goal is. From the sound of things, the city already exists and is fairly powerful if it was capable of fighting a war. What are we supposed to be building? I feel like there is some information missing here.

And are you able to provide the PDF or whatever of what this Kingdom stuff is? I feel like not having it is detrimental.

The city the campaign will start in/near is indeed an established and fully formed state in it's own right.  It has begun preparations for some massive event that only the people at the very top running the city seem to know exactly what is being planned.  The leaders of the city have prompted adventurers and those who can strike out for wealth and power to come to this event.

Ryu Wojin

Quote from: Conundrum on January 04, 2021, 04:14:34 AM
So you want to be a wizard who made a pact with an extraplanar entity?

No.

Quote from: Conundrum on January 01, 2021, 10:32:30 PM
access to information others would not normally know.

I'm asking for bladesinging to be as the version described in the flavour.  But to play out the mystique behind it.

QuoteOriginally created by elves, this tradition has been adopted by non-elf practitioners, who honor and expand on the elven ways.

...Many who have observed a bladesinger at work remember the display as one of the more beautiful experiences in their life, a glorious dance accompanied by a singing blade.

My idea was more of a secret order. So common folk who see it, would not know it. Practitioners of swordplay would want to ask me to teach them. And even seasoned veterans who fight me wouldn't know it under normal circumstanced. Though they'd obviously fare better.

So when you have an individual who knows the style, it is one of two things. They are an enemy of the order in some extreme way. Thus a real nemesis. Or perhaps a student from the order who trained with my character. Which could also be a problem because the backstory, as it stands, would entail that she's not in a good standing with the order after fleeing and running away to make her own life.

Conundrum

Quote from: Ryu Wojin on January 04, 2021, 05:44:57 AM
No.

I'm asking for bladesinging to be as the version described in the flavour.  But to play out the mystique behind it.

My idea was more of a secret order. So common folk who see it, would not know it. Practitioners of swordplay would want to ask me to teach them. And even seasoned veterans who fight me wouldn't know it under normal circumstanced. Though they'd obviously fare better.

So when you have an individual who knows the style, it is one of two things. They are an enemy of the order in some extreme way. Thus a real nemesis. Or perhaps a student from the order who trained with my character. Which could also be a problem because the backstory, as it stands, would entail that she's not in a good standing with the order after fleeing and running away to make her own life.

The secret information warlocks have access to is extraplanar information since their patrons are generally traditionally extraplanar but access to those planes doesn't exist in a conventional sense in this setting.  Having a secret swordfighting technique is fine but doesn't affect the setting as much like a warlock patron does.

Ryu Wojin

Kk. We're on the same page. I wasn't looking for extra planar information or anything. Just the 'wow' factor in my fighting style. I was planning to play that up to be unqiue. Amyways. I have a gist of character info and will provide statblock soon

Ryu Wojin

Katla, aka Aelrie Enlana

High Elf
Clan Crafter

Level 1 Wizard [Future Bladesinger]

Attributes
Str 10
Dex 15+2
Con 14
Wis 10 [P]
Int 15+1 [P]
Cha 12

Offense and Defense
Short Sword +5 (d6+3)
Magical Attack +5 (varies)

AC = 16 (mage armor + dex)

Skill Profiencies
Arcana +5
History +5
Insight +5
Investigation +5
Perception +2

Tool Profiencies
Weapons : daggers, darts, slings, quarterstaffs, light crossbows, Short sword
Armor : None
Tools : Tinkerer's Tools (Artisan tool)
Languages : common, elven, dwarven

Bio & Background
Age 121
Height at 6'3
Weight at 140lb
B cups, decent hips. Hips are mostly hidden by her outfit though.

She always tends to dress in an overly flowing way. Kind of like an eastern shrine maiden, and it's fitting in how she perceives technology and magic. An extention of how reality works and thus to understand it, one must rever and dedicate oneself to it. So she cherishes magic and engineering like a religion. To the detriment of her own praying towards a real diety. She'll acknoldge and respect them though!

Aelrie Enlana was born to a clan of high elves seperate from Zakar. The need to defend themselves became prominent after many of their kind was captured and forced into slavery. So they started picking up a style of swordplay that suited them best in order to resist these transgressions and protect themselves. So an order of bladesinging wizards was formed. The young (including Aelrie) were forced to partake and learn the style so thst they could grow up to be troops and soldiers. Aelrie learned the style well, but her whimsical nature always got her into trouble when she'd miss a session because she wanted to go elsewhere.

One of her duties within the clan was her only enjoyable task. Tinkering. Engineering. She liked science. Shr was enthralled with learning how the reality of the world operated, along with magic. She was always fond of making ruth goldberg machines to accomplish a task easier. She liked putting her theories to test and finding if they succeed and make life more enjoyable or easier, or if they fail and she has to start again!

But half of that job involved fixing alot of things. Door locks or chest locks, crossbolt mechanisms, etc. Etc. But she did it well enough that she didn't mind.

She eventually grew tired of the process. She was a promising student, and on graduation; she left her clan. She wanted her own freedom. She carries the knowledge to continue her training, which may frustrate her clan as taking the secrets elsewhere.

Oddly enough, without a sense of direction, she'll find herself in Zakar. A foreign looking elf whose awe and wonder makes her look incredibily defenseless and naive... That is an easy target to swipe as a slave right? Many slavers found themselves limping away after instigating a fight with her. So she's already earned a small name of being that outsider who knows a mysterious sword style and seems quite magical. She hasn't use the hymm or bladesinging yet (she ain't level 2).

Eventually someone had the courtesy to ask her for her name. She didn't want to use her old name. Given she was nownher own person, so she gave the name Katla.

Bladesinging Concept

The swordstyle is unique. Involving light weapons and runes upon the skin. A magical incantation starts the process. A song. A chant from the wielder. Magic mixed in with acoustics enables the wielder to move as freely as sound. Or closer to that. They move faster, they're harder to hit. The chant is almost like a hymm. Those who fight the bladesinger feel an omnious looming doom coming for them. Those who fight with the bladesinger or witness it, feel a sense of serenity and beauty. Like the scene is being controlled like a play and it all seems a thing of beauty... Until a head rolls.

Later levels will see the acoustics affecting the enemy's blade so that it doesn't strike as true. And then even later the wielder's weapon vibrates with the hymm that it almost seems to blur, and being hit by it leaves a gash that is larger and more painful.

ReijiTabibito

Lots of elves I'm seeing on this one.  What Classes do we have represented thus far?

ElayneTrakand

A&A's

"When at 15, my girlfriends started dropping out of their beloved sports teams, because they didn't want to appear muscle-y, when at 18, my male friends were unable to express their feelings, I decided that I was a feminist." - Emma Watson

Conundrum

Quote from: ElayneTrakand on January 11, 2021, 12:14:02 AM
Any idea when we are getting this started?

The OOC will be up friday, I should have the updated character information then.

Conundrum

Delayed slightly, I am currently writing up the OOC so I will be a few hours late in getting it up due to events earlier today.

Miroque

FroggyBoi

I'm quite interested in participating here as well. I would be interested in playing a slave master to your character if you're up for it ElayneTarkand. I was thinking about playing a Lizardfolk who believes that might makes right. He would be courteous to potential allies, but not afraid to take advantage if he spots weakness. I'll probably play some sort of martial melee class. I'm going to wait to see the final character-building guidelines before I decide anything.

Quote from: ReijiTabibito on January 07, 2021, 04:53:50 PM
Lots of elves I'm seeing on this one.  What Classes do we have represented thus far?

So far I count:
ElayneTrakand's Half-elf Bard
Miroque's Winged Elf Sorceress
c0i9z's Goblin Barbarian
Zaer Darkwail's Half-elf Warlock
Ryu Wojin's High Elf Wizard

Conundrum

Quote from: Miroque on January 16, 2021, 02:56:42 AM
@GM: players been selected already?

Not yet, I had planned to last weekend but got behind on another project.  I added a bit more detail to the last paragraph of the campaign IC information though so that and a bit more information on the character generation might make some people change their minds on characters or might be what people were waiting for.

Link to the OOC.
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=328819.0

Zaer Darkwail

Reposting my char, with background edits/changes (based on last changed paragraphs).

Aran Goldsand starts with slavery, albeit not in manner how most such tales start. It starts simply slavery of his mother, whom he never knew nor that was she elf or half-elf caught by raiders of Zakar. His father though he did learn name and identity; legion commander Talan "reaver" Talonbreak. One most renown swordsmen in Zakar, former gladiator champion slave who rised high in ranks and earned his freedom by blood and guts spilled in arena and then joined legion and swiftly rised in ranks thanks his prowess and quick mind for battle.

Once he was born, his father sold him as babe merely half a year old, just long enough move out from breast feeding from mother's embrace basically. Name known only thanks he read it himself years later. There was however unique circumstance which led this sale to good fortunes; as he was sold to middle-aged merchant who had gathered fortune in his life along with wisdom and experience as a merchant. But he had no heirs, as he was eunuch thanks his own origins as slave who rised high in Zakar society. So he wanted pass his wisdom and some his experience to fellow child of misfortune, to be carrier of his legacy.

His adoptive father was Remir Goldsand, a human man who had made good in working in Guild as a caravan runner. But age had finally settled in and he no longer was able to travel as he did before and thus handle negotiations in person as he did in behalf in interest for others. So he raised Aran as he would had his own child. He was openly honest about his circumstances and over time Aran holds no love or interest to either to his biological parent; Remir being one who matters most to him. He was quick learner, learning various skills rapidly and was determined to make a mark, perhaps much larger, than his adoptive father did on Zakar's merchant guild (or be more than merely being merchant). Remir still lives, albeit venerable state and is attended by medicine skilled maids in every daily need while Aran has started do same trade his father does; be negotiator and caravan master for hire those with more wealth but lacking interest risk their lives and hides in traveling and negotiating. He has become good in that line of work, yet desires more than be middle man for someone higher than him. His ambitions going beyond his stature.

Despite his own and Remir's origins, he has no plans rebel or disregard slave trade. It's unfortunate such trade exists but it exist as there is demand and desire for it in Zakar and some other parts in world. In his end he plans to be responsible slave seller and owner, always check slaves are healthy and not abused or punished beyond fair reasons. One vice which he has developed, was acquiring rare or unique items and goods in his travels and in trade. Historical items. Go even extreme lengths acquire them if need be. Hoping someday own a collection large enough open a museum.

Tale how he became warlock (secret to all except GM)
In one his journeys across desert, his caravan was assaulted by raiders. Lots of them, no chance to to win he told everyone his caravan grab supplies and run different directions, better chances for survival all to equally if they split in small groups. However none joined to him and he was chased by raiders, excepting capture him and ransomed for gold. While running raiders, suddenly desert mirage shifted and revealed a small mountain, with cave. With hopes he ran inside and inside he found a stairway leading to underground. At bottom of the stairs laid a chamber, inside chamber chained in pentagram laid dark angelic beauty who alluringly called to him, on her knees, offering her body for his desires and begs him claim her and ensure her protection from raiders.

But as cunning merchant Aran knew there was something off in the situation, studying the walls, floor and architecture and seeing woman could not gross borders of golden pentagram he called on her bluff and asked her speak plainly. Woman, seeing man not falling scowled first but then with smile told she could remove the illusion barrier from her home, let raiders find him and torture him for her amusement and then kill more gullible men in way how she prefers. As she is after all wanting consume their life force to help invigorate her. As she thirsts drain life force from mortals and hoping drain enough energy able overcome the pentagram which keeps her imprisoned.

Aran saw opportunity here and he replied to her she could do that, but short gain she would only get just few raiders and rest would not come. Have then corpse of one merchant warn possible future men or women who wander to her den. Offering instead alternative; he could become her dealer which offers mortals, at least those he views wicked, as meals to her and perhaps even seek way undo the pentagram she is bound to if she ensures she does not turn on him or anyone who he cares for doing so. Intrigued, the woman introduced herself as The Fallen, not give her name, as that title suits as well Aran calling her a Mistress. She told she was once a divine herald, a archon, to one gods which have been forgotten and for her crimes against her patron she was imprisoned, forever, on that cave which once was guarded by monk guardians and huge monastery around it. But all have erased over time various conflicts and wars. She has overtime developed bit influence around her prison, hide it with illusion, uncover it and do other minor lures to call travelers in and then try lure them cross the pentagram so she can devour their soul and life energy.

Woman, intrigued by proposal asked; "What you desire in return for this service? Besides my mercy not kill you and those you care about?" Aran then replied; "Power Mistress, power to become great man, magic to aid me become such." Aran had read about ancient pacts what some casters had done to gain power, overall arrangement with The Fallen sounded okay to him and unlikely she frees herself during his lifetime. However what she said next chilled him; "That case, I ask bit trust on you. Cross the pentagram, let me embrace you and thus seal the bargain and the pact as agreed on those terms." Aran chuckled and replied; "Is there no other way Mistress? I feel you may just fool me cross it when initial attempt failed." The Fallen smirked and said; "Same could be said from you; you could run off with my granted magic and do none of the agreed things. I need proof of trust from you, and need proof from mine as well if you desire to make a pact with me."

Hesitant, Aran decided to gamble, like all great merchants do at times. He entered inside pentagram, woman not slashing or attacking him. Only smiling, caressing his arms, shoulders and pulling him into kiss...which inflicted him both intense agony and pleasure! Nothing ever has, nor never will, to the influence of the kiss! He felt both dying but yet more alive than he ever has been! Heights of bliss falling down bottomless despair! He felt she tugged, fondled and ravages his soul! But same time, tiny tear on his soul by her soul rending claws, she replaced with spark of power. Potential, in him. Once kiss done, the intense sensation ending but same time leaving him with hunger, eternally unsatisfied hunger to experience such thrill of life and death combination anew. Then once trust established, she told him how lure raiders in, hide him then on behind illusion once he's in chamber and she deals the raiders.

And she did, once raiders spotted him, he ran downstairs and then as raiders came they were dim witted enough enter pentagram, all five virile men went to seek ravage her but in end she ravaged them. She slowly, tortuously slowly, drained them from soul and life and even if they knew and felt she was doing it on them, they could not stop ravaging her and accept her attentions. Even when they collapsed on ground, unable move she ravaged them one by one until final gasps and final lingering mist of soul she had devoured. Sight both frightening, but yet same his hunger thirsted devoured like that, perhaps as he is old or when he wants to die. Developing growing adoration to the heaven cast out monster.

Aran was then educated on his powers, spells and lore of magic by her and then Aran departed and has since occasion guided a someone wicked with false treasure map, rumor or guided even rival or two into unfortunate end. Mistress gives her thanks always in dream, give once more taste of the dark bliss as reward and his powers growing or occasion just lesson in magic and ancient lore how things once were or were find some ancient treasures she remembers. Slowly deliver promise she agreed deliver to Aran.