News:

"Forbidden Fruit [L-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Calling all Asians: How racist is this idea?

Started by jouzinka, February 05, 2014, 12:15:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oniya

Regional data - something like ZIP codes, or otherwise geographically defined areas - could be a start. 
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

gaggedLouise

Weighing in some estimates of the density of cops per square mile would be neat too. Of course, the chances of getting caught, or even of a suspected crime getting reported, is going to be higher if there are more cops around in the area. Like, compare the risk of getting caught or even chased for poaching somewhere in Alaska and the chances that a burglary in downtown Chicago would get reported.

Edit: I am not thinking of the likelihood of the individual cops in a town being "dense" in that other sense.  ;)

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

Ephiral

Of course, there's a well-documented balancing factor there, too - visible police presence tends to reduce crime in an area (and possibly increase it in adjoining, less-patrolled areas). Lots of variables here, I'll admit, which is why I balk at conclusions being leapt to.

Skynet

I'm not Asian, but I think that cultural appropriation in this day and age (especially when it comes to US-Japan relations) is unavoidable.  If you're a creative writer/designer delving into a culture other than your own, you should try doing it with care and in a respectful way.  Appropriation is not bad in and of itself; the problem comes when media portrayals contribute to and reinforce negative societal perceptions.

In the case of the OP, I'd be more specific and ask for Japanese voices.  Asia is a large bloc of nations, many of which have little in common with each other.  Asking groups which would potentially be directly affected by any offensive stereotypes is a good idea whenever you're "writing the other."

In regards to Kabuki theater, well I don't really know.  But I think it's wrong to assume that non-ethnic Japanese people can't perform it without automatically being racist.  Maybe if the play ends up a parade of ill-informed Japanese stereotypes, yes, but the actors themselves, no.

didoanna

I remember an episode of Scrubs when JD was explaining the ways Doctors explain to families that the patient has died.....

....and he suggested a good favourite was traditional Kabuki theatre.....

....cue JD jumping into a room in the full outfit and performing assorted hand movements and gestures to indicate the patient is dead.....

.....probably because of the context and the extremely dark humour.....it came across as very funny.

Ivory11

the race of your model isn't racism, anyone who says it is racist because "white people can't wear asian clothes or be in asian theater" is an extremely racist statement.

When I was in school, I went to my school's "sister school" in japan, where I was the only male in their school play (all girls school, we were there for a month) and it was very traditional japanese theater, and I played the part of a Samurai, when I asked about if this would be considered racist, me being a white guy dressed as a Samurai, the sensei told me simply "anyone can wear the clothes, anyone can perform, so long as they respect the costume and respect the theater" so in a way, I was in the same sandals your model is in.

(BTW, I was a hit)