You can't take the sky from me
Take me out to the black
Tell them I ain't comin' back
Burn the land and boil the sea
You can't take the sky from me
There's no place I can be
Since I found Serenity
But you can't take the sky from me...

Ok, this is my first attempt at a group RP.  PLEASE read this whole post before contacting me via PM.

PLEASE DO NOT post character ideas here until your interest has been approved by me, whereupon you CAN post your profile here and take part in out-of-character discussion.

Firstly, I'm not looking to use canon characters but to set an original RP in the Firefly 'Verse.  Personally, I'll be looking for a male dom/sadist "Cap'n" character to play opposite my Chinese female companion, someone who isn't squeamish about NC and other fun stuff in my ons list.

More on the dynamic between the captain and companion  [NC at first, then more D/s]:-

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
I see the companion as someone who has been raised in the academy from a young age to become a courtesan.  Upon her graduation, her first date and virginity will have been auctioned to a carefully vetted guild client.  She will not have had a sexual encounter that she wasn't paid for, in control of and emotionally disconnected from.  Your character will not have had a serious relationship in some time and will have been captivated with the companion from the day she first rented your shuttle.  You have rather negative views on her whoring and find it hard to see past that to the free-thinking woman she is.  You've both got one another out of enough scrapes to be on an even footing in that regard.  I'm looking for a lot of tension and built up with this one, she aggravated that you don't visit core planets often enough for her to work, you aggravated that she insists on renting her pussy out whenever you land somewhere civilized.

There will be frequent arguments, often born from the fact that as she's a tenant and not really a member of the crew, she doesn't follow the same rank protocols and give you the respect you feel you deserve in front of your crew.  She'll think you're just being difficult because you'd rather stick to the border planets and swagger around in your browncoat.  In truth you can't handle her profession but you won't admit that even to yourself.

Until the day you lose your self control and take her roughly, pitching her into the first sexual experience she's ever had that is not under her control, rough and even violent.  She turns out to be a natural masochist who from that moment is utterly infatuated with the captain.

He wants to keep things between them secret while he gets used to the idea.  The companion however takes that to mean he's ashamed of being with a whore.  She continues taking bookings and seeing clients, which he takes to mean that she's not that into him.  He cannot stand to see her work any more and sabotages her career at every opportunity, while insisting he couldn't care less.

So feelings continue to run high between them, that's what I'm looking for.  He'll tell himself he could care less what she does but his desire for her will eat away at him until he takes her forcefully.  She'll become addicted to the force and the humiliation of believing to hold her in contempt for a profession she was raised to.

Where they go after that is of course negotiable.

Characters

I'm looking for good writers but in addition to that, I'm looking to match people up according to orientation, ons/offs and so on, so nobody is left without someone who is compatible with them.  The starting roles we need cast as I see it are...

Firefly Crew
Companion - Black Jade
Captain -  Fenrisulfr

Deputy Captain/1st Officer
Pilot
Co-Pilot
Mechanic
Medic
Security

Alliance ship (?) :- I thought it would be fun for a couple of people to represent the Alliance and cause havoc for the Firefly.  Just a thought that may or may not work out.
Alliance ship captain
Alliance ship captain's playmate
(other crew members npc)

A good thought has been passed to me regarding the Alliance element:  A possibility occurred to me while reading your post that I thought you might like to consider: As an alternate to an Alliance ship (whose captain and crew would be beholden to arrest and no-gooders who got into their clutches) have you considered the possibility of a more evil and wicked competitor/nemesis who was also a trader captain/crew? That would permit, perhaps, more intimate interaction 'in port' when everyone was pretending to get along until the inevitable bar-room brawl broke out, and of course the inevitable character complications of 'Wait, you were screwing WHO? But they were trying to screw US!' That might be a little more difficult (not impossible, just difficult!) to manage with Alliance Navy.

So there are plenty of options for anyone who wants to be a bad guy/girl/liege-shaped version of same, don't be afraid to use your imagination.

Extras
I was also wondering if there was anyone who wanted to take it upon themselves to play other characters that the Firefly crew interact with on various worlds; trusted contacts who give them jobs similar to Badger or Fanty & Mingo in the series.  They could also play a passenger when the fancy takes them, and interact with the crew more directly.  I was thinking perhaps another Saffron-esque character would be fun too.

So that's where I've got with my thoughts so far.  I'm going to leave plotwork until I know who's on board and what kind of story they need.  Do let me know if I've neglected to consider something important.

Jade x
This week has been insane for me and I'm away this weekend but I'll catch up with PMs and posts early next week.  My apologies xx

If you bow at all, bow low.

Credit for my avatar goes to Tatiannna.

Black Jade

The ship is going to be called...

Tranquility ~  安 寧 ~ Pronounced Ah-ning.

Relevant Links/Info

Wikipedia ~ The basics.
Firefly Wiki ~ Comprehensive Wiki.
Info on Planets and Moons

Firefly Chinese Phrases ~ We'll stick to these ones, to avoid confusion.

The Ship

The 'Verse

This week has been insane for me and I'm away this weekend but I'll catch up with PMs and posts early next week.  My apologies xx

kckolbe

Hello, love to see a Firefly idea going, and I'll PM you soon.  I'd suggest, especially with you being new at group games, avoiding having players take on alliance roles.  PvP can go bad quick, especially in a freeform game, which I am guessing this is.  If not, I am perfectly cool with system (usually prefer it).
Ons/Offs  A/A  Oath of the Drake
(From the Penis Game) Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Penis
I love a wet nymph.  "Letting some guy have [her] just to have another woman is a losing trade"

Buffy: The Vampire Slayer(IC#2)
Intro Thread

Black Jade

Hi kckolbe.

This will be a freeform RP.  I know nothing about more organised gameplay and really don't want this idea to descend into a game of Top Trumps.  I want people to be able to get into the heads of their characters, acting and reacting in any way they find realistic and believable.

I don't  know, I think the crew could use a little adversity.  Obviously, anyone prepared to play bad guys have to be prepared to be thwarted quite a bit.  So long as we don't get two huge egos up against one another I think we should be able to resolve things here in OOC and make calls on when one or other party should back down and live to fight another day.

I welcome opinions from all ides but I'm not writing the idea off yet.

Black Jade

I officially  :-* this image.

Xiulan "Su" Kim

Xiulan Kim was sold to the Guild of Companions on her home planet, Sihnon, when she was just a child and groomed into a skilled courtesan.  When she came of age her virginity was auctioned to kick start her career and introduce her to society as a guild graduate.  Sihnon is a planet populated mostly by Chinese colonials and retains a rich cultural heritage that hasn't been as 'whiternised'* or modernised as other core planets.

Xiulan enjoyed a highly successful career until Caleb, a senior Alliance official asked her to become his personal companion and then refused to take no for an answer.  When Xiulan refused him he slandered her name and told her she would never work again.  The guild responded by publicly exonerating her and blacklisting Caleb Zane.  Xiulan thought that would be the end of the matter, until he turned up at her home and tried to rape her.  Her security tossed him out but the next night he burned her home to the ground and Xiulan was lucky to escape death.  She boarded Tranquility and led Caleb to believe her dead but after Tranquillity had a run in with the Alliance, the guild contacted Xiulan and told her he now knew her to be still alive.  Caleb is married with children but still uses his influence with the Alliance to get word of any clashes Xiulan and her adopted crew have with them.  Every year, when Xiulan must attend the guild headquarters on Sihnon for a medical and annual review, Caleb Zane is there waiting for her.  So far, the captain and his crew have helped her to evade him but the day will come when she has to face Caleb and refuse him all over again.

Xiulan hadn't even considered the Tranquility among the ships at dock when she was desperately seeking passage from Sihnon.  Still in the burned tatters of her nightgown and carrying nothing but a pair of butterfly knives and the keypass that allowed her to access her credits from almost anywhere in the 'Verse, she hadn't cut a very impressive figure.  The captain had caught her trying to stow away, after just being laughed at by the captains of the other ships.  He had damn near shot her, flat out propositioned her and then laughed his ass off when she drew herself up to her full height of five feet and imperiously demanded to rent one of his shuttles.  On seeing her bank balance and proof of guild registration however... and after she'd showered, he stopped laughing and they got into a half hour haggling match about the price she was to pay for her new home.  Both thought they had won.  He agreed to stop in Londinium so Xiulan could pick up the finery she needed to start again as a companion.  Unable to pronounce her name correctly, the captain had taken to calling her 'Su' and it had stuck among his crewmates.

Xiulan refuses to acknowledge her deep feelings for the captain and they dance around one another, maintaining a safe distance and being overly formal most of the time.  Xiulan has never had a sexual encounter (aside from Caleb's thwarted rape attempt) that she wasn't detached from and in control of.  She has never experienced love or known herself to be capable of it.  She knows the captain frowns on her trade and however the guild paints it, he calls it whoring and to her face too sometimes.  She doesn't think he could ever see past her trade and all the people she's been with.

Living and working on The Tranquility suits her.  She doesn't have to be a part of a core planet society and waste her credits maintaining a high society image.  She doesn't have to take on lots of bookings because her outgoings are very low.  Xiulan can just keep saving her money so that she can retire young and make a new home somewhere.

*  Whiternised:  A modern take on the term 'westernised'  back when Earth-that-was' white western population had a tendency to modernise other cultures with no thought for their cultural heritage.  Since 'westernised' isn't a term that can be applied to a cluster of planetary systems.

Fenrisulfr

A first draft for the captain

Richard Maximilian Landon
Owner of The Tranquility, Firefly class.

Caucasian
Length: 5'11"
Weight: 180lb
Hair: Light brown, short cut.
Eyes: Blue

Richard grew up on Ariel in a rather privileged family; his father is a business lawyer and his mother is a cosmetic surgeon. Being the oldest child of three, his parents wanted him to excel in school, having him to study hard. Always chasing top grades made him have no real time for friends. He liked studying, and had probably been quite accomplished in what he had chosen for himself. But having no say in what to study irked him to no end, putting a strain on his relationship with his parents.

At the time he graduated from the university, and his parents tried to plan and direct his future career, he stepped in on the local army recruitment center. Being a bit older than most, and having an university degree, made him a quite a bit odd; but he passed the tests for officer training. He believed in the ideals of the Alliance, wanting to defend it, and he also supported the unification idea that had been circling around for some time. The border worlds, and even more so with the frontier, was filled with religious extremists keeping the rest in poverty and squalor. Unification would mean that education and proper health care would become available to those who needed it.

The war broke out not long after he became a 2nd lieutenant, sending him to the front. There he saw how he got politically motivated orders that would look good on the propaganda back home, but was contra productive at best to win the war. He also saw quite a few senior officers using the war to profit on the war, or outright looted. Those where the exception, but still far from uncommon. When he reported a couple of such cases, he ended up against a wall of silence; he started to get the worst assignments, supplies became stalled or at times withheld, and he got passed by for promotions.

During the war, he saw a lot of atrocities made by both sides; many times it was 'revenge' by some perceived wrong doing by the other side. When the war was over, he saw none of the things he had fought for happening. But he saw a lot of corruption and fellow alliance troops acting out their own sense of justice on the unified worlds. When he wrote a report on the situation, to make the upper echelon aware of the actual situation; he found himself honorable discharged from the army.

When he got back home, the contrast of the public views on the war and the followed situation, and his own, made him feel that he lived in a surreal dream. He just could not reintegrate himself into society, and truth to be told, he was not even sure he wanted to. His parents demanded he toned things down, as their circle of potential customers didn't want to hear of any potential wrong doings. The situation escalated until his parents disowned him. Himself, he just wanted to get away from everyone and everything.

After drifting a bit in the verse, he ended up watching an auction. One of the items that was auctioned out was an impounded ship, firefly class. On a spur of the moment thing, he bidded on the ship; ending up buying it. He wasn't sure why he did it, but he knew that out in the black he would be as far away from everyone else as he possible could be. Maybe out there he could find the balance and tranquility he needed in his life.

Not knowing how to either fly or maintain a ship, he started to hunt for a crew. That crew is now the closest he has to a family, and that is how he has a tendency to see them. Work being scarce, and quite a few officials being either corrupt or overzealously interpreting the restrictive regulations, forced them to not only taking legit jobs. At times even doing illegal jobs, just because it would help people and annoying officials, if they would just barely break even.

Beside his crew, he ended up renting out a shuttle to a companion. He had found her in a shredded night gown, looking like rags, trying to steal passage as a stowaway. She almost got thrown off the ship, but she had managed to convince him to hear him out and a chance to prove she was telling the truth. He knew that most of a companions customers were just the kind of people he loathed; but besides that the rent would help with putting food on the table for everyone else, having her on the ship would expand on the amount of legal jobs they would be able to take.

He could not see any reason why someone would turn 'voluntarily' to whoring: beside starvation, greed or an addiction. It didn't matter how much one dressed it up, being a companion was still whoring. Su, as he called her, was not starving and neither was she an addict; so he assumed she wanted to live among those he despised.

But he had taken a liking to Su even from the moment they met. That liking have grown to quite some deep feelings for her. But he is sure that as soon her troubles are out of the way, she will leave the ship for her old way of life, never to look back. The combination of it all makes him feel a need to keep a distance; which leads to them keeping a formal distance and he also won't hide his mistrust of her business, which more often than not might wrongly come out as a dislike.

Fenrisulfr

And a little about an idea for the mentality for the captain. After all, beside having to fit the captain/companion story arch, he also need to fit working with the other crew members, considering they can be spread all over a sub/dom scale. :-)

Richard listens to the advice of his crew, weighting the options; but he makes the decisions when its comes to the ship. He has the assumption that everyone wants to be self-reliant and wants to run their own life. So he takes the wants and opinions into consideration and try to find alternative that fits the whole crew. Basically, he assumes everyone else is a dominant at heart, but upbringing or poor confidence makes some people appear submissive. So he basically tend to treat everyone as he wants to be treated himself.

When it comes to relations, as it is related to what is hidden in the OP, I spoiler tag it as well. :-)
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
That is also why he is single. He sees a relationship as a long compromise, which is something he doesn't want. So the few relationships he has had so far has been more akin to two ships meeting, perhaps temporary sailing in the same direction, then go their separate ways. He had more than once thought that it's to bad there wasn't the option to have a relation that was closer to being a ships captain or an army officer.

Richard is also a bit disturbed by some of his sexual fantasies, which includes him grabbing Su by the hair and then have his way with her, without any regards for her feelings or opinion.

1SAZ

Just want to pop in and express my interest. Huge fan of Firefly/Serenity (bought Serenity on DVD the day it came out ;D) and have a number of character ideas for this boat floating around in my noggin. Particularly, I'd love to play either the Pilot, Mechanic, or Co-Captain (or some combination therein).

Let me know if I'm gonna fly or not. And yes, pun completely intended.

Black Jade

Hi 1SAZ, welcome aboard.

We're a bit light on female company for you, assuming you're male and want to interact sexually with female characters.  Currently just the pilot and companion roles are cast so feel free to pick something else from the list and flesh out a bio.  If we don't get enough interest for all the roles then you may well up multi-tasking somehow but we can leave that for the moment.  If you know of anyone else who would like to play, opposite you or otherwise and is a good writer, by all means get in touch with them.

Black Jade

And it's a little belated I know but thanks for your profile Fenrisulfr, you've out a lot of thought into it.

jazz

I'd be interested in being the mechanic.  I have a character in mind.  Not as Naive as Kaylee, much more experienced and with a sensuality she likes to use to get what she wants and needs.  Can put together a fuller profile in the morning.
I love you as certain dark things are to be loved, in secret, between the shadow and the soul. ~ Pablo Neruda

Fenrisulfr

Quote from: Black Jade on August 09, 2011, 12:36:29 PM
And it's a little belated I know but thanks for your profile Fenrisulfr, you've out a lot of thought into it.
A bit belated thank you. :-)

Just managed to get access to the Internet again where I'm currently visiting.

QuoteCurrently just the pilot and companion roles are cast so feel free to pick something else from the list and flesh out a bio.
I think that should be my captain, and not the pilot. But as it is Black Jade's game, I can be missing some information.

So 1SAZ, if you haven't already written up a character, the pilot seat might still be available. :-)

Quote from: jazz on August 10, 2011, 02:10:53 AM
I'd be interested in being the mechanic.  I have a character in mind.  Not as Naive as Kaylee, much more experienced and with a sensuality she likes to use to get what she wants and needs.  Can put together a fuller profile in the morning.
I'm currently down in Germany, doing that touristing thingy ;D So posting is a bit slow for me until I'm back home. But as soon Black Jade have had her say, I'm up for working together with both of you on the back story on how the characters ended up on the ship. :-)

1SAZ

I haven't finished writing up my character, so if the pilot seat is open, I'll modify it. Otherwise, I'll just whip up the first officer since that was a role I was considering. Either way, I can make it work.

kckolbe

Getting a pretty nice group together.  I submitted a char concept for mechanic, pilot, or co-pilot (same background, just a matter of which training), so we have the basics if all of our chars make the cut.
Ons/Offs  A/A  Oath of the Drake
(From the Penis Game) Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Penis
I love a wet nymph.  "Letting some guy have [her] just to have another woman is a losing trade"

Buffy: The Vampire Slayer(IC#2)
Intro Thread

Kate

Fenrisulfr

Quote from: Kate on August 14, 2011, 08:32:03 AM
any room for a domminate woman ?
Quite sure there is. :-) And if there is, then I'm up for working together on a bit of back story on how your character ended up on the ship

Quote from: kckolbe on August 13, 2011, 12:23:28 PM
Getting a pretty nice group together.  I submitted a char concept for mechanic, pilot, or co-pilot (same background, just a matter of which training), so we have the basics if all of our chars make the cut.
And the same of course goes for you :-)

LimitlessNikkie

Pmed interest to Black Jade looking at either the Medic or Security roles or maybe playing a competition role to the Tranquility depending on what's needed. I'll start working on possible bios this evening.

Kate

actually at lot of girls are playing

i might try my hand at a male character if that is ok ?

Kate

- pm posted this instead -

Snow Cherry

Hi guys, I was wondering if I could be squeezed in here somewhere? I am a HUGE fan of Firefly/Serenity. I own the television series and the movie...  ::)

I am not exactly sure where I can fit in seeing as how there is a bit of spoken interest above me, but I would love to at least fit somewhere into the drama/action. Upon that note - I am a very flexible roleplayer; playing either female or male characters, dom or sub, evil or good, and any gender pairings. I do not have any sexual limits either, or at least none that have been stepped on before by roleplaying partners. Slipping myself into a crew position on Tranquility would be fun. I do adore planning dramatic interaction between peeps.  I also would like to say that I am up for playing those extras on other planets if needs be, or for playing a character on the competitor/nemesis ship. I have experience playing succesful free form battles. I do give and take blows, and keep things realistic. However I think the only thing I would not be willing to do is become the only player on that said ship, lol. I do hate being along...

Anyways, I will be watching. Please let me know if there is a position I can fill. ^^ Thanks.

Kate

well i cant speak for the story teller but I hope you do join us  Snow Cherry

i think just post a character regardless for even if there isnt room initially usually someone drops out instantly anyway.

So post away !

Caela

I'd be totally interested in this game! Would be interested in the Doctor slot but noticed that Nikki put an interest in with that as well as Security. Will work up a bio and then if she's not needed I'll have fun reading along and maybe manage a spot on the "enemy" ship later or as a contact when they put into port at some point.

Fenrisulfr

Just a reminder of this part of the first post :-)
Quote from: Black Jade on August 03, 2011, 02:34:36 AMPLEASE DO NOT post character ideas here until your interest has been approved by me, whereupon you CAN post your profile here and take part in out-of-character discussion.
Last week was hectic for her, and she was away over the weekend; so I guess this week is kind of busy for her as well. So send her a PM about your interest, and give her a chance to reply. Her character is just as Inara not an integral part of the crew, so if things will remain busy for her for a while, it doesn't have to halt anything IC.

Anyway, nice to see all the interest :-) As more than one has mention that they can consider different positions, and there is the idea of more than one ship, it is more a compatibility question.

Snow Cherry

Thanks Kate! I might just hang around and see what is not taken. I believe every slot on Tranquility has received some spoken interest from a person or two already. I do not want to waste energy creating a character sheet for a character that wont be used.  :P  I like to know what I am getting myself into first, lol. And speaking of character sheets... Micheal looks good! Exactly what position of the crew is he? Just a guest or customer onboard?

Kate

well concerning the position of my character - it is a non-vital function of a ship

a nice to have luxury as smuggling etc can happen without him,
but with him you have more options of exploitation if wherever your going is a place you don't intend to make friends at
(ie where burning bridges is acceptable to get something done)

the robots could be made to fight i guess but I was thinking them mainly been used for scouting areas
or opening doors or well .. stealing stuff or whatever other players on board request

ie the doctor could ask for some robots that are expert at micro-stitching such that injuries could be scarless
or the mechanic could request some to run about looking for things that are leaking or need replacing or something.

it also opens up plot options where places can be more violent

Two ships would be good - idea they go around together and stay in communications constantly perhaps one serenity type one and a smaller faster one with less cargo - or whatever but still the storytellers call