Interest Check: Warhammer 40,000 Space Marines

Started by Hemingway, January 17, 2011, 04:17:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hemingway

Here's the thing: I don't normally do groups, and I'm clueless when it comes to systems and suchlike. However, I have this idea that really - at least in my own opinion, which I respect - lends itself to a group of four. Or three, but preferably not five. For the sake of avoiding confusion. What I have in mind will in some respects be similar to Space Hulk, and to some extent the video game, Dawn of War 2 ( not so much the first Dawn of War ).

The basic idea is for a squad of three or four Space Marines to be deployed to some godforsaken hellhole. I mentioned Space Hulk, and that is one possible option - having it set on a space hulk. However, as compelling as that setting is, that's far from the only option. It could be a Chaos-infested forge world, or a backwater overrun by Orks. Basically, the players take the role of the Space Marines, and kick alien ass, while at the same time having an actual story with actual depth, to add to the action.

The squad itself is flexible. I was thinking something along the lines of having one Sergeant, a Tactical Marine, a Devastator, and some fourth option ... Assault Marine? Apothecary? Librarian? Techmarine? Dreadnought, even? Chapter they belong to is flexible as well, though I lean toward something basic, something that won't require everyone to do a lot of reading. As interesting as I find Space Wolves, I know nothing about them!

What I'm interested in, is for them to be more than mere one-liner-spouting, faceless super-soldiers. I'm interested in distinct personalities, strengths and weaknesses. Space Marines are still individuals, after all.

Like I mentioned in the first paragraph, groups aren't normally my thing, and I'm nervous about starting something. That said, if there's genuine interest, and people are willing to lend a hand in making it happen and making it work, I'd be more than happy to do my part. So here's just throwing the idea out there, and seeing what happens.

HairyHeretic

Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Hemingway

I hadn't even heard of Deathwatch until now!

Like I said, systems - not really my strong suit.

HairyHeretic

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_minisite.asp?eidm=108&enmi=Deathwatch

I have the core rules, but haven't had a chance to play it yet. It looks nice on the read through though. :)

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Hemingway

It does look interesting - and judging by the posts in the forums there, quite complex. Well, complex to me, anyway!

Well, that said, unless you feel a sudden, very strong urge to run it and hold my hand throughout, I think this will have to remain freeform. :'D

HairyHeretic

I'd need to read the rules a lot more thoroughly before I considered running it. At the moment I wouldn't have time to start running another game anyway.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Hemingway

Yeah, I imagine that would've been a lot of work.

Roo

Just out of curiosity, would you want to work things canon and only allow male characters as Space Marines, or would you accept female characters as well?

I don't know the system for
Deathwatch well at all-I just got the book as well, but I do know that Space Marines are supposed to be male, at least according to canon.
"Are you crazy, is that your problem?" -Jack Burton

CmdrRenegade

"Every creative act is open war against The Way It Is."-Tycho Brahe of Penny Arcade

I'm CmdrRenegade and these are my Ons and Offs and Apologies and Abcenses on Elliquiy.

Hemingway

Quote from: Roo on January 18, 2011, 07:50:08 PM
Just out of curiosity, would you want to work things canon and only allow male characters as Space Marines, or would you accept female characters as well?

I don't know the system for
Deathwatch well at all-I just got the book as well, but I do know that Space Marines are supposed to be male, at least according to canon.

I thought about this before, but I couldn't come up with a good answer. Space Marines specifically, I'd prefer to be male ... but then there are the Sister of Battle, different, but just similar enough that it might work?

Quote from: CmdrRenegade on January 18, 2011, 08:16:33 PM
I own Deathwatch and I'm interested. 

Dammit, now everyone wants Deathwatch. ; p

Like I said, I don't own Deatchwatch, and there's no way for me to get my hands on the rules quickly - as much as I'd like to. : p

HairyHeretic

Quote from: Hemingway on January 19, 2011, 07:01:50 AM
I thought about this before, but I couldn't come up with a good answer. Space Marines specifically, I'd prefer to be male ... but then there are the Sister of Battle, different, but just similar enough that it might work?

Sisters of Battle have roughly the same gear as space marines, but they would lack the physical enhancement that Marines go through. Training is maybe comparable, though the view of the Emperor would probably be somewhat different.

Quote from: Hemingway on January 19, 2011, 07:01:50 AM
Dammit, now everyone wants Deathwatch. ; p

Like I said, I don't own Deatchwatch, and there's no way for me to get my hands on the rules quickly - as much as I'd like to. : p

Sorry about that :)

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Wraith

I've always wanted to play a Space Marine. I do have Deathwatch, but I'm also know nothing about systems and would love a freeform game. (I got DW on a whim.) I have a fairly generic concept of an Ultramarine Librarian in my head.

Oh, what - if any -  sexual content will be there in the RP?
Surreal's sweet obsession <3

Wraith's Disappearance Act (A/As)

Hemingway

Hmm. If I can find a place near where I live that actually sells Deathwatch, I can now actually afford to get the rules. I shall look into it. I wouldn't count on it, as it's a fairly alien concept here, but still ...

That said, can't make any promises.

As for sex, I don't really see how it would fit with the theme.

GGZeppelli

Though Space Marines aren't my favorite race/army, I'm always down for some warhams! Count me in as interested.

Wraith

Quote from: Hemingway on January 22, 2011, 05:34:57 PM

As for sex, I don't really see how it would fit with the theme.

Yup. I would've felt iffy about joining if this involved Marines boinking Dark Eldar or Chaos spawn. So, that's just fine by me.

If Roo above is still interested, looks like we have four players.
Surreal's sweet obsession <3

Wraith's Disappearance Act (A/As)

Pockets

If it's not too late, I'd be interested in the game, even if it's just a freeform story.
08/02 - New A/A Update

Primarch

If you want to play a freeform Deathwatch game, that is just as the faction Deathwatch as opposed to the system game it would provide an ideal excuse to let people play as any Space Marine chapter they like, even customs if you so desire.

Each mission would likely play like a DOW2 mission, drop down, kill anything in between squad and big bag Eldar/Ork/{insert threat here} and get out.

And no, this isn't just me offering advice, also offering my interest. :P While I could play Deathwatch system freeform would suit me better, for time reasons.

Pockets

And since most squads tend to start at like 5 to 6 marines, we wouldn't be too far out. Some chapters can have as many as 20 Marines to a squad.
08/02 - New A/A Update