News:

Sarkat And Rian: Happily Ever After? [EX]
Congratulations shengami & FoxgirlJay for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Strange duplicate files

Started by Oniya, September 07, 2013, 11:33:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oniya

So, today I went looking for an old character file.  When I ran my search, it came up with two entries for the file.  The strange part was that both had the exact same path, down to the capitalization.  I popped both 'containing folders' open, and other than one being maximized, both appeared to have identical contents.

Feeling somewhat skittish about that, I cut the file from one folder and pasted it in a new folder that I've been using recently (also, so I could find it again).  It disappeared from both 'containing folders', and my search window now reflects a single instance of the file.

Anyone have any ideas why this might be happening?
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Moraline

That's an odd one that I've personally never ran into before.

Without knowing much about your OS or computer I'm going to make an assumption that what you are seeing is a reflection of the file through an archiving or user share permission for multiple logins.  Most likely it's archived since you said it was an "old" character file.

On doing a quick google search on the topic I came across a few of those similar questions from several Apple OS subscribers. I didn't find anyone answering the question though.

I don't believe it's a problem of any kind.  Perhaps someone else will pop in and share an insight into what it is.

Oniya

Hm.  Not an Apple user - sitting here at the top of the 32-bit line with Windows XP (mostly because my stitching program won't run on 64-bit.)  Single-user machine, too. 

If it were some sort of archiving, wouldn't the files be found in two different places?  And wouldn't deleting one leave the other one intact?
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Nessy

Quote from: Oniya on September 07, 2013, 11:26:06 PM
Hm.  Not an Apple user - sitting here at the top of the 32-bit line with Windows XP (mostly because my stitching program won't run on 64-bit.)  Single-user machine, too. 

If it were some sort of archiving, wouldn't the files be found in two different places?  And wouldn't deleting one leave the other one intact?
You sure there wasn't an extra space or something in the filename. I don't think it's possible to have exact character string filenames in the same folder and not overlap them. Something slight must have been different.

Also on the stitching program. You'll run into support issues soon, have you consider using XP emulation. Also, there are 32 bit versions of the newer OS's, just not a lot of reasons to use 32 over 64.
Ons and Offs    Short Term Ideas,
Misc. Long Term Ideas

If you send me a PM and I don't respond, chances are I just missed it. Send it again!

Some heroes don't wear capes. Some just #holdthedoor.