Dragon Age [System RPG] [Extreme Groups] [Interest Check]

Started by Malkavian, February 19, 2020, 12:19:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malkavian

Hey all,

This is not a proper game proposal yet - more of an interest check to see whether such a game might be popular. Also, if there is interest, I won't be getting a game of this together until work slows the hell down, and my current games are back on track and moving at a smooth pace. That said...

I've recently acquired a copy of the Dragon Age core rulebook, as well as Faces of Thedas. I'm not yet settled on much in terms of ideas, however the following points are pretty set in stone:

• I would be looking for people who enjoy interactive role-play, detailed posts, and a possibly longterm game.
  • I'd like players to be fans of the series, as the style of interactions and fights and settings will reflect this sub-genre.
  • I'm likely to begin the story just before, and therefore alongside, the events of the computer game trilogy. This should hopefully allow people to go from level 1-20 if the game reaches it end.
  • As mentioned above, characters would begin at level 1. Abilities would be gained through the "Buying Abilities" method detailed in the core rulebook sidebar on page 12.
Everything else is pretty much up for debate. As mentioned above, this is an interest check, not an actual game proposal.

CyrodilicBrandy

*casually strolls in and plants a red interest flag before exiting the scene, whistling*

Arcanist

Choice is but an Illusion. Consequences are however real.

Malkavian

Oh, also worth noting since I've had someone discuss it with me:

If it's preferable in terms of popularity, I am not opposed to running Blue Rose instead if people want: it uses the same system, but has a greater emphasis on romantic fantasy - plus, for people who like that sort of thing, you can play animal characters.

If people aren't fussed, or like Dragon Age better, I'm more than happy to stick with that. Just offering an alternative in case people like it better.

Tavarokk

Gotta check out the system, but Dragon Age game sounds interesting.

Malkavian

System is pretty simple: tests are made using 3d6 - two normal six-siders and one "Dragon Die." You combine the results with an Ability score and, it you have an applicable focus, add a further +2 to the tally. It's then compared to a target number to determine success or failure.

If you happen to roll doubles or triples, AND succeed, you get a number of Stunt Points equal to the face value of your Dragon Die. These points can be spent to enhance your success into something awesome - like a second strike in combat, more damage, a quicker search, social manoeuvring, etc.

Vergil Tanner

You have no idea how long I've wanted to play with the Dragon Age setting and rules. I've never played a game using the system, but I have the core rulebook myself, so I am in on this SO HARD. <3
Vergil's Faceclaim Archive; For All Your Character Model Seeking Needs!

Men in general judge more by the sense of sight than by that of touch, because everyone can see but few can test by feeling. Everyone sees what you seem to be, few know what you really are; and those few do not dare take a stand against the general opinion. Therefore it is unnecessary to have all the qualities I have enumerated, but it is very necessary to appear to have them. And I shall dare to say this also, that to have them and always observe them is injurious, and that to appear to have them is useful; to appear merciful, faithful, humane, religious, upright, and be so, but with a mind so framed that should you require not to be so, you may be able and know how to change to the opposite.

Dubbed the "Oath of Drake,"
A noble philosophy; I adhere...for now.

Malkavian

Great.  :D I'd like to have at least one character of each class type (Warrior, Rogue, Mage), but Backgrounds are negotiable. No Grey Wardens - IF you join them, it'll be at a higher level and as a result of the Fifth Blight storyline. Also, as per the rules, there is a chance that the Joining can fail - so there is a risk to your character's life in trying.

Feel free to message me concepts, class and Background preferences. We have enough interest here to get underway I think, so once I have the above I'll look at starting a thread.

Vergil Tanner

Fuck, I have to decide already? God, I'll have to have a hard think. Where are we starting, do you think? Ferelden? The Free Marches? Orlais? Tevinter? Etc ad nauseum. I don't think I'll be taking the Mage. I'm leaning Warrior, but I'll need to have a think about it.

Men in general judge more by the sense of sight than by that of touch, because everyone can see but few can test by feeling. Everyone sees what you seem to be, few know what you really are; and those few do not dare take a stand against the general opinion. Therefore it is unnecessary to have all the qualities I have enumerated, but it is very necessary to appear to have them. And I shall dare to say this also, that to have them and always observe them is injurious, and that to appear to have them is useful; to appear merciful, faithful, humane, religious, upright, and be so, but with a mind so framed that should you require not to be so, you may be able and know how to change to the opposite.

Tavarokk

A human mage for me, though not sure if apostate or circle mage yet.

Vergil Tanner

Malkavian

Quote from: Vergil Tanner on February 19, 2020, 08:01:58 AM
Fuck, I have to decide already? God, I'll have to have a hard think. Where are we starting, do you think? Ferelden? The Free Marches? Orlais? Tevinter? Etc ad nauseum. I don't think I'll be taking the Mage. I'm leaning Warrior, but I'll need to have a think about it.

Will begin in Fereldan around the time Duncan is recruiting for the suspected Fifth Blight.

Vergil Tanner

Makes sense! I have some questions about specific chargen stuff, but I'll leave those until we actually start the chargen process xD

I think I've settled on a Male Human Sword & Board Warrior with the Nevarran Adventurer Background. He'll probably look to become a Champion at Level 6.

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

Malkavian

Sounds good.

Now that I have the interest I'll look at setting up threads for this today. We'll then relocate there and begin character creation properly. In the meanwhile, consider Human Warrior to be options that are claimed (we can have more than one Human, but I'd like to ensure that we have at least one of each Class by the time character creation is done).

Vergil Tanner

Okey dokey! So, since I'm going to bed now, I'll leave these questions here:

-- With the Extra Abilities you roll on from the table of each background, I'm assuming that we're using the Elliquiy Dicebot?
-- Same with the Starting Silver?
-- I start with a Medium Shield as per standard according to the Starting Equipment entry in the CRB. If I wanted to use a heavy shield instead, what would I "Sell" the medium shield for, since I wouldn't be using it? Would it be like D&D where I sell it for half book price, or would I be able to straight up trade it in and pay the difference?

Malkavian

Quote from: Vergil Tanner on February 19, 2020, 10:48:57 AMWith the Extra Abilities you roll on from the table of each background, I'm assuming that we're using the Elliquiy Dicebot?

I will be using the Buying Background Benefits option, located on page 13; this, combined with the Buying Abilities sidebar on page 12, gives people maximum control over their character creation.

Players CAN choose to roll instead, but rolls must be made on the dice roller and sent to me, and roll results are final. This is the only way you could end up with more than one Ability increase from these tables.

Quote from: Vergil Tanner on February 19, 2020, 10:48:57 AMSame with the Starting Silver?

Yes. All dice rolls must be made using the Elliquiy dice roller and forwarded to me; if I don't receive them, they don't count.

Quote from: Vergil Tanner on February 19, 2020, 10:48:57 AMI start with a Medium Shield as per standard according to the Starting Equipment entry in the CRB. If I wanted to use a heavy shield instead, what would I "Sell" the medium shield for, since I wouldn't be using it? Would it be like D&D where I sell it for half book price, or would I be able to straight up trade it in and pay the difference?

I'll say that you can sell it for a third of the price shown in the rulebook. You can instead try and get a better price by selling it IC, but if you wanted to sell it ahead of time then it'll be 1/3 price instead.

CyrodilicBrandy

Malkavian

Tavarokk

Think I'll roll with a Circle mage.

Odds of finding a suitable high quality art with proper student/mage robes are slim, but without those the appearance will be as follows.

Appearance

PixelatedPixie

So this is already full?  A shame, have never had a chance to actually use the system.

Vergil Tanner

Quote from: Malkavian on February 19, 2020, 11:57:42 AM
I will be using the Buying Background Benefits option, located on page 13; this, combined with the Buying Abilities sidebar on page 12, gives people maximum control over their character creation.

Players CAN choose to roll instead, but rolls must be made on the dice roller and sent to me, and roll results are final. This is the only way you could end up with more than one Ability increase from these tables.

Right ho, gotcha!

Quote from: Malkavian on February 19, 2020, 11:57:42 AMI'll say that you can sell it for a third of the price shown in the rulebook. You can instead try and get a better price by selling it IC, but if you wanted to sell it ahead of time then it'll be 1/3 price instead.

Oof, harsh! Understood! :D

Juggtacular

Sounds really cool. Is there a link for the system book available so I can think of what I want to make?

Malkavian

I'm going to be making the threads now, after which I'll link them here.

It seems like this game is proving quite popular - I've not yet decided how many players I'll accept, but in the interest of keeping track can everyone who's expressed interest post again here with their desired Race, Class, Background? If I end up with too many people keen, I'll be choosing who plays based on concepts and the like, as well as how early people got in touch, plus writing compatibility.

Juggtacular

Definitely gonna make a Mage. Not sure if he'll be a human noble or Qunari exiled/escaped from Par Vollen though.

Malkavian

Both OOC Threads are now made and linked below; please do not post into either until you are approved for play. If you post without me first approving both your participation in the game and your character, then that'll ensure you definitely don't get to join.

[Dragon Age] Character Sheets
[Dragon Age] OOC Thread