Fiasco, anyone?

Started by wander, December 26, 2015, 09:23:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CirclMastr

I'll grab the last 5 (not the first 5) and say I'm a crime boss and Lucky is my second-in-command.
Ons & offs - https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=8373.0
Statistics are like a bikini; what they reveal is significant, but what they conceal is even more important.

wander

Alright, cool... I'll edit that in. :)

I'll also go ahead and form a Relationship between you and me, Circlmastr...

I'mma picking a 6 and going with another Mysterious Relationship. :)

Flaming, it is your turn to pick a Relationship with Lucky's character. :)

Flaming

Sorry for the delay, I was sick.

I'll take a 2 : Friendship

wander

Okay, I'll edit that in. :)

That means it's now Lucky's turn, to pick a dice to decide what that Friendship manifests as. :)

AmandaWho

It looks like your ship has sailed, so I will bow out.

wander

Sorry, Amanda.

In the future I'll likely do another Fiasco game, so please do come by if I get to do so.

LuckyLukin

Friendship: 3

So I'm going to go back over how Fiasco works and what these things could mean. :p

wander

Basically you're building links between the other player's characters, each six type of relationship noted in the playbook has a list of six ways that relationship comes across. Everyone has a link to the next person along, so everyone comes together for specific reasons, which we're working on. :)

Part of the fun of this phase of Fiasco to think of ideas (feel free to state thoughts on your character as things develop!) and think how that could add to the coolness of the story and how conflicts can arise from these things... Things will start to look more clear when we decide on the object, need and location and because there's a fourth player, there's gonna be two of one of the above. :)

But I'm getting ahead of myself! ^^

Circlmastr, your turn to pick a die to consider what mine and your character's Mysterious Relationship is, then we can move on to the Object, Need and Location so we got a macguffin, motivation and setting for our story of one big messed up situation. :)

CirclMastr

I'm going to use the last 5 (which is actually the first 5) to make it "I have an offer for you, which you may find surprising"
Statistics are like a bikini; what they reveal is significant, but what they conceal is even more important.

wander

Alright, so that's the relationships all formed up!

It'd be cool to hear any thoughts anyone might have on how these relationships work, for example between me and Flaming, who wrote to who and what's the peculiar event? Why is Flaming meeting Lucky for the first time? Is it because of this invite to the event that they're going together? And of course Lucky and Circl's characters are involved in organised crime... Is the offer being given by me to Circl or vice versa?

Okay... Needs, Objects and Locations... There's mainly 2s left, so we should get through this quick, though the last die is always wild, so it can be whatever that person wants it to be, which will fall to Circlmastr to decide.

There has to be at least one Need, one Object and one Location. So, as we go round, we'll each pick one different one now and then Circlmastr can pick a doubler of whichever they feel the game needs, a Need, Object (called Things in this playbook) or Location.

Going first, I'm going to go with a 6 and pick the Thing as Inexplicable.

Flaming, your turn to pick a Need or a Location!

Flaming

Can I detail on the Object instead?

I would take a 2, A shining Trapezohedron of strange insights

Here's my idea:
I'm the stereotypical nerdy student with a crush on the hot girl in school (wander). For some reasons they are on speaking terms (maybe he helps her with math or she thinks he is a cute harmless guy, I don't know...) but he would like something more, so he wants to impress her.
He didn't have a chance, until now.
Of lately he had been studying and researching strange topics about occultism and other stuff, maybe something can give him superpowers, or maybe there is a magic formula he can use to be fearless, or super charming...
Most of the stuff he has been reading was suggested to him by some guy over the internet (Lucky) he has become a tutor for the boy and even sent him some interesting stuff (why did he do this?).
Now my character thinks he has found something worthy, he might have cracked the code of this strange gimacahedron he received, tonight he wants to open it in front of (wander) and show her some cool stuff...

I just want to tell that, from personal experience, at this stage people should brainstorm whatever comes to mind and throw it on the table, you never know what it could lead to. don't be afraid to toss ideas, or speak out of turn, the messier and more chaotic it gets, the more ideas will be available on play.

wander

Yeah, I do suppose you can do that. :)

I'm cool with that idea... What would be your thoughts on my character being transfemale? Your guy doesn't have to know that aspect about her, of course. I'm also interested to hear how this may link up to Circlmastr and my own character. Is their character more linked to the magic or is Lucky? What offer is happening between my student and Circlmastr's criminal character?
I like what you did there Flaming, very good!

Okay, I'll edit that in the post detailing all our results and Lucky, I'd like it if you could choose between the storie's Need or Location and pick a dice to say what it will be. :)
Whatever is left (Need or Location), that'll be Circlmastr's turn to state what it'll be.

Flaming

Your character can be whatever you want, if it's something strange probably my guy doesn't know. Anyway, being this Fiasco I'm not counting on him getting laid, so whatever...
What you said gave me a couple of other ideas.
- Maybe she is female, but the ritual will give her a dick, or maybe tentacles (can't have Cthulhu without tentacles...)
- Or maybe her transfemaleship is a secret, but CirclMastr character, that is in same shady business knows about it and blackmails her

wander

Those are both really good ideas. On the second one, let's see what Circlmastr thinks when they pop in to post. :)

Still waiting on Lucky to pick a die and state whether it's a Need or a Location.

LuckyLukin

I think I'll go with Location and...
*Looks at remaining die*
That last 2.

Meaning we're in The Town.

Okay so I now have a better understanding of how Fiasco works thanks to Will Wheaton and TableTop on Youtube.

-----EDIT-----

I thought that a 2 on Object means that it's a literary object... or am I confused?

-----EDIT 2-----

This is what I have so far:
Wander > Flaming
Relationship: 6 Mysterious
1 I'm writing to invite you to witness a peculiar event

Flaming > Lucky
Relationship: 2 Friendship
3 Correspondents who, until now, have never met

Lucky > Circlmastr
Relationship: 5 Crime
Crime-boss/second in command

Circlmaster > Wander
Relationship: 6 Mysterious
5 I have an offer for you, which you may find surprising

Object: 2  Literary

wander

I picked a 6, to make the Thing an Inexplicable one, then Flaming detailed it with the 2. :)

The Town it is! I shall go edit that in to the post upthread. :)

Circlmastr, your turn... I'd like you to pick a die for a Need please, though you can detail the Town locale if you prefer.

CirclMastr

I'll use the last 6 for a need to be happy. Do I assign that to someone in particular or is it a general thing like location or item?

Flaming

It has to be attached to a relationship.

Guys, I'll be without a connection for a few days, see you later!

CirclMastr

In that case I'll attach it to the Friendship between Flaming and Lucky.

wander

I'll need to take a look and see where in the rules that it needs to be attached to a relationship... Anyway, I'll edit that into the post upthread and that means it's my turn to pick, so I snagged a 2 to make a second Need, which I placed between myself and Circlmastr.

Note on the edited post now I placed the details where we've mentioned them before now with players and they've matched quite well. :)

Flaming has noted they'll be away for a bit, so I'll say Lucky can pick up a die next.

Lucky: Because the dice remaining to you are 2s (the last one placed will be a wild sided die), pick which of the Location or two Needs you'd like to detail with said 2. :)

LuckyLukin

I'll go with the restaurant (Location)

wander

We're nearly done with set-up! ^^

Circlmastr, if you could please put a 2 to detail one of the Needs, that would be great. :)

CirclMastr

I'll say Wander and my need is to figure out what the letters mean.

wander

Okay, I'll go edit that in. :)

It's Flaming's turn next to finish with detailing the other Need, with the wild sided die. Hopefully it won't be too long a wait. *nods*

In the meanwhile, I'd like it if we could now more openly discuss who our characters are, a name and just what these relationships and parts of the game mean for them.

Flaming

Just got back.

I think I'll take a for on the need:
6: To be Happy 4: by getting the hell out of here.

This comes to my mind.
Lucky is feeding me strange codes to crack, because I'm one of those nerdy geniuses. For some reasons he needs those codes cracked so he can get out of his crime association. And for some reason he feeds me an ancient ritual...
Even more, maybe, the reason is that he is from another dimension, and needs the code to be cracked in order to go home...