Superheroes Vs. Villains - Recruitment Always Open!

Started by TheGlyphstone, May 20, 2012, 03:51:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheGlyphstone

Superheroes Vs. Villains

Welcome to the world of Superheroes vs. Villains, a game and universe of metahumans and mayhem. It's a world much like our own, but with the (obvious) addition of certain individuals sporting metahuman or outright paranormal powers. They started appearing around the beginning of the 20th century, and have since become more-or-less integrated as another minority in human society, if one who might be capable of shooting eye lasers or transforming into a wombat. World governments have adapted, co-opting powerful metahumans into their service and developing secretive weapons and techniques for defeating the champions of their enemies.

Vigilantism is illegal, but any would-be do-gooder can obtain a hero license fairly easily, depending on the local laws, and aspiring heroes often form official teams to protect their town, city, or state. On the other side of the coin, there are plenty of those who would see their unusual powers turned to benefit themselves instead, whether to crush a world of impudent mundanes beneath their booted feet or simply to get really, really rich.

Bay City

The primary setting of our story, Bay City is San Francisco, San Diego, and Miami in the way that Metropolis and Gotham are New York, Boston, and Chicago - a great metropolitan city that could be any or all of them, but isn't, and at the same time is all of them combined. Since the end of World War II,  Bay City was guarded by the superhero team known as the Justicars and their leader, the mighty Paragon. The super-strong, invulnerable, flying champion of justice and his associates guarded the city from all that would do it harm, including the agents of the twin nefarious criminal syndicates known as the House of Cards headed by the malevolent super-genius Calculus, and the Shadow Guild with its conniving leader Hellion.

All of that changed, though, on the morning of what soon became known as One Bad Day. From nowhere, Bay City was driven to its knees by a massive crime wave, with shootings and robberies and random explosions pushing both the city's mundane police force and metahumans to their limits and beyond. As always, Paragon was at the forefront of the situation, hurtling from one crisis point to another without any rest or pause - until finally, he snapped. The great champion of Bay City's mind shattered, and in his madness, he became the city's worst nightmare. Hospitals demolished, prisons broken open, police and fire stations wrecked, doing damage in hours that would take years to recover from. The horror reached its peak when Paragon kidnapped a news reporter giving live coverage of the disasters, carried her to the top of the city's tallest building, and proceeded to rape her in full view of her own live feed before flying from the city and not being heard from since.

The resultant power vacuum was almost as devastating to Bay City as One Bad Day itself. A task force from the Department of Metahuman Affairs swooped in on the shattered city, occupying the Justicar Headquarter as its base of operations to hunt for the dangerous rogue Paragon. Many lesser-known champions of good traveled to Bay City or stepped up from local obscurity to fill the gap, but at the same time, a great many villains and villainesses saw an opportunity they could capitalize on, whether members of the House of Cards, the Shadow Guild, or independent operatives from parts unknown. Matters failed to improve when the international villainess and war criminal Peacemaker arrived on the scene, intent on purging Bay City of its associations with criminals and slavers one murdered corrupt official and toppled skyscraper at a time, aided by a deluded metahuman claiming to be the ancient Norse god Tyr - the two of them were defeated, but at great cost, another knife in Bay City's back.

Now we call upon you, hero, heroine, villain, or villainess. The time is now, to put on your spandex or charge up your armored suit, to rise up in Bay City's defense or plot its eventual downfall.

Q&A:
Q:What system are you using?
A: SvV is entirely freeform. We have a standardized character sheet, and certain guidelines for creating characters, but there are no system mechanics or dice-rolling needed to join in.

Q: Can I play Batman/Kitty Pryde/Incredible Hulk/Blue Beetle/Deadpool?
A: No. This is an original universe, with original characters - expies or homages are fine, but not outright ports or ripoffs...if you hadn't noticed, the NPC Paragon is a thinly veiled homage to Golden Age Superman. You could, say, have a ill-tempered metahuman hero with regenerative powers who fights with metal claw-gloves, but once you give him adamantium-covered bones and call everyone 'Bub', there's a problem. :D

Q: What sort of power gets thrown around in SvV?
A: The intended scope of the setting's power is something above Watchmen (minus Dr. M) and closer to the early X-men comics. We have a simple, loose grading system for estimating power, which can be found in the main game forum here.

Q: Is there a plot, or is it entirely sandbox (player-driven)?
A: The game is about 2/3 sandbox, built around a GM-controlled metaplot. Players can choose to pursue metaplot events or arrange scenes between each other towards one end or another. The in-game timescale corresponds to 1 day=2 RL weeks during Structured Time, with the occasional switch to a more nebulous Comic Book Time for important plot events.

Q: So how do I join?
A: My Paypal details are...j/k. :D Introduce yourself Here in the OOC thread, and/or post a comment Here. Take a look around, meet the existing players, decide what sort of character you want to create. From there, it'll be fairly simple.

Laughing Hyena

We are still ongoing and looking for more super heroes and villains particularly female supers. We need more villains so if you dare to embrace the dark side then c'mon in.

Treehouseroleplayer

Interested, but I wish I could take a look at the character thread first! :)
If you wish to get a hold of me and I'm not on E., message me on IRC.

Laughing Hyena

Can't you? The character thread is in the big groups thread. Active player characters right here.

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135906.0

Treehouseroleplayer

Ah, weird, it was given me denied permission errors when I tried to go through the OOC thread, seems to work fine now though!
If you wish to get a hold of me and I'm not on E., message me on IRC.

Laughing Hyena

Keep on coming people theres still room for more females and super villains!

TheGlyphstone

You'd think that, wouldn't you...of Active PCs, the count is at 4 male heroes, 6 female heroes, 2 male villains, 2 female villains. So while we're a little light on Team Evil, we actually have more women than men right now...not that that's a bad thing, or even a reason to not accept more heroines or villainesses.

Vergil1989

I am Katerina De Leon, newest, (possible,) telepath/telekinetic and I approve this thread.   ;D  Joking aside, let's see some hustle out here!  Lol
Taker of the Oath of the Drake
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=85486.0  Absence and Apology...countdown to doom....so to speak.
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=123720.msg5435844#msg5435844  Storyteller Cafe thread.
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=186829.0  Solo thread request thread
IMPORTANT UPDATE as of October 6th 2016 in A/A page

Vaulera

Oh my dear god I just got the most brilliant idea, someone out there, make a hero named Inigo Montoya!

Vergil1989

Taker of the Oath of the Drake
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=85486.0  Absence and Apology...countdown to doom....so to speak.
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=123720.msg5435844#msg5435844  Storyteller Cafe thread.
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=186829.0  Solo thread request thread
IMPORTANT UPDATE as of October 6th 2016 in A/A page

Scarie187

Phaia

are you still loking for people for this

Phaia

Laughing Hyena

TheGlyphstone

Indeed, new blood is always welcome, in the true rotating-cast spirit of comic books.

On a side-note, since it's come up in the OOC thread a few times and isn't mentioned above:

Q&A Extended:
What sort of themes is the game meant to reflect?

Totally not a loaded question. This has two answers. The inspirational source material for the game, at least in terms of thematics, is the Silver and Golden age of comics. Heroes are Heroic, Villains are Villainous, and it's easy to tell the two apart. Grim-n-gritty antiheroes aren't really appropriate for the atmosphere we're trying to evoke, though there's still plenty of room for dark characters and motivations.

On an OOC dynamic, the game is placed in the NC sub-board as a convenience measure, darker than Light/Bondage but not Extreme. As one of our prominent players put it, when everyone is athletically fit, sporting either bulging muscles and/or the Most Common Female Superpower while running around in skintight spandex, there's going to be a lot of temptation to have defeats come with side benefits. It's not mandatory by any means, and there's a continuing metaplot arc for people who don't want to engage in sexytimes, but it's there and should be pointed out so no one is caught by surprise.

Phaia

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on February 16, 2013, 06:16:55 PM
Indeed, new blood is always welcome, in the true rotating-cast spirit of comic books.

On a side-note, since it's come up in the OOC thread a few times and isn't mentioned above:

Q&A Extended:
What sort of themes is the game meant to reflect?

Totally not a loaded question. This has two answers. The inspirational source material for the game, at least in terms of thematics, is the Silver and Golden age of comics. Heroes are Heroic, Villains are Villainous, and it's easy to tell the two apart. Grim-n-gritty antiheroes aren't really appropriate for the atmosphere we're trying to evoke, though there's still plenty of room for dark characters and motivations.

On an OOC dynamic, the game is placed in the NC sub-board as a convenience measure, darker than Light/Bondage but not Extreme. As one of our prominent players put it, when everyone is athletically fit, sporting either bulging muscles and/or the Most Common Female Superpower while running around in skintight spandex, there's going to be a lot of temptation to have defeats come with side benefits. It's not mandatory by any means, and there's a continuing metaplot arc for people who don't want to engage in sexytimes, but it's there and should be pointed out so no one is caught by surprise.

well of course there is benifits to a villian when he defeats the sexy heroine...I always remembered the jokers death traps he put bat girl in...he could have just made them sex traps as well >:)

Phaia

RainbowRian

TheGlyphstone

Well, the header is Recruitment Open...so yes. :D

RainbowRian

~Facepalm~ I am sorry.  Do i just PM you the sheet? I have a specific Idea that my muse needs nourished and If so then perhaps you will have another character as well :)

Scarie187

RainbowRian

well another player and i made them as sisters and got our muses hyped up

Scarie187

I've contemplated unleashing a female char or two but most of the ones I have in mind are bad and I think I should play at least 1 hero.

TheGlyphstone

You're allowed one hero/oine and one villain/ess, as long as they don't interact directly with each other.

Top Cat

I'm somewhat interested, but I'd need a few more details. Are all of the erotic scenes intended to be consensual, or is it acknowledged that the villains will have their wicked way with the resisting heroes?

Also, that link to the Character Thread shows as Off Limits to me.
O/O / Story Seeds
Current posting speed: Slow to moderate. Most threads should get a response within 24 hours, with occasional dips as RL makes demands.
If I am more than a week behind on a story post, please feel free to PM me about it.
I am present in Elliquiy's Discord channel. If you want to chat about a story idea, feel free to DM me there.

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Top Cat on February 23, 2013, 09:28:42 PM
I'm somewhat interested, but I'd need a few more details. Are all of the erotic scenes intended to be consensual, or is it acknowledged that the villains will have their wicked way with the resisting heroes?

Also, that link to the Character Thread shows as Off Limits to me.

That depends on the players involved. All scenes are obviously consensual OOC, and there are several black/white hat romances/voluntary sexiness, but there's also non-con ravishing and rape. It's not exclusively one or the other.

LH must have mistyped the link, because it is also off-limits to me and I'm a GM in the game.

Scarie187

Pretty much everything is up to your imagination... its a great community to RP in.