Batman villains game

Started by rainshadow, March 08, 2008, 08:55:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rainshadow

I'm curious to see if anyone would be interested in a Batman game where all the players are Gotham City villains. I've run a similar game before and it worked out decently enough. The idea is simple Batman's missing and the villains of Gotham City are on an all-night rampage. It'd be freeform and it'd be no big deal if you want to recreate villains to a certain extent, as long as they remain identifiable. I'd like for someone else to GM the operation, but if no one's interested in that, I'd be willing to do so myself. At first I wanted to put it in light freeform, but it might be best to make it a bit deeper and go Bondage, allowing more freedome for our villains to "play."
"The ticket to the future is always open. What happens in the future is our own responsibility." - Rem, Trigun

"Nothing says 'I hate war' like a good explosion in a populated area." -rainshadow

HairyHeretic

Sounds fun, but I wouldn't know DC villians canon well enough to do justice to them. The last Batman I recall reading was .. Nightfall? The one where he got his back broken by some villian on superdrugs, then came back for round 2.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

rainshadow

The nice thing about comic book canon is that even the comics create their own canon as they go along, not only from writer to writer, but from book to book. I'm not so much interested in canon as I am in having fun. Like I said, as long as the villains remain identifiable, we're good to go. After all, there've been so many different Jokers out there, what's one more version in the grand scheme of things?

Most people probably won't be able to identify Heath Ledger's Joker as they were able to link Jack Nicholson with the character. It's a completely different version than what they're used to.
"The ticket to the future is always open. What happens in the future is our own responsibility." - Rem, Trigun

"Nothing says 'I hate war' like a good explosion in a populated area." -rainshadow

Trieste

*could have some serious fun as an unleashed Quinn ...*

Though I'm not clear on if she's actually considered canon or not... I know she was made for the cartoon and then later got written into the comics, or so I thought ... Ahwell. Fun character, though. ;)

rainshadow

Actually, Tainted has first dibs as Quinn... this game is part her idea.

Trieste

Heee. Probably for the better with how limited time is. :) I definitely don't have the time to GM, unless y'all want to wait for the summer.

rainshadow

I think I'm going to go ahead and GM, assuming we have enough interest.

Stattick

The vibage around here is creepy and cool. Every 2nd or 3rd story idea that I have has a permutation posted here, and this is yet another. The idea I had was Catwoman has The Bat tied up somewhere and is doing bad things to him, cause the Cat wants the Bat all to herself.
O/O   A/A

rainshadow

Heh... we could actually incorporate that into the story. I like it... LOL

DreadD

So, does this mean that the villians are expected to victimize each other, or will it become the GM's duty to run victimizable, well... Victims?

rainshadow

Actually I hadn't thought that far ahead, but it might be cool to do something similar to what Elvi has done with Seven Deadly Sins. Have your villains and also have your victims.

DreadD

I must admit, I find myself somewhat curious (also on the constant lookout for games as I spend a lot of time watching games I'm in, well... Do nothing because people have lives.  Accursed people with lives! :p) but I must admit, I don't know the Batman setting very well, and I'm not sure how well I do a villian on a spree...  Though looking through the list of Batman foes is always worth some amusement.  Occasionally you find some exceedingly silly forms of insantiy like, oh, I dunno, Globe and Calendar Man.  I mean, really, special sort of crazy to dub yourself Calendar Man >_>

rainshadow

Huh... I don't have a clue who Globe is... but Calendar Man is actually a fairly interesting villain. Problem is the most I've seen of him was from The Long Halloween graphic novel, and he was behind bars the whole time. Really, he's little more than a bona fide nut, from my point of view. I don't know what he'd do in a setting outside of prison.

But, of course, I would anticipate a game like this really to only include the more well-known individuals, like Joker, Two-Face, Penguin, Joker, and Catwoman.

I'm actually wondering if something similar might be more intriguing if players actually made up their own villains, and make it an original story rather than using Batman as a backdrop.

DreadD

Globe's got some crazy map obession, I dunno...  *Shrug*

It could be amusing with made up villians too, totally your call on that one.  I might run some victims or something if that's needed, as I don't think I could get into character or a lot of these folks.

rainshadow

Hmmm... I included Joker twice... silly rainshadow! ;D

Well, I'm certainly open to suggestions. There's a lot of time to make decisions on this, and obviously nothing's set in stone. I'm still leaning toward keeping it in the Batman universe, but that could change.

Thanks for your interest! We'll see what comes of this little idea in the future.

Trieste

Well, y'know. The joker's one awesome villain, with a huge personality. He's allowed to be included twice. :D

rainshadow

Of course! Besides, he'd do something real naughty to me if I didn't. ;D

Xerial

Quote from: Trieste on March 08, 2008, 09:25:46 PM
*could have some serious fun as an unleashed Quinn ...*

Though I'm not clear on if she's actually considered canon or not... I know she was made for the cartoon and then later got written into the comics, or so I thought ... Ahwell. Fun character, though. ;)

Quinn is the rarest of rare, a crossover from the animated medium to the comics, rather than the other way. She is indeed canon, as the comics she has appeared in are accepted into that umbrella.

Now, if I were to be involved in anything DC there'd be only one entity for me, but he's not a villain, more of an anti-"hero" ...Nite-Wing, for the win! Of course, for villains, I could see the Riddler being quite a gas.

Stattick

I'm willing to give my idea posted above a go. But it'd have to be a special sort of someone to be able to capture and hold The Bat of course. He'd have to be stripped of all his special tools of his trade too. Of course, eventually, he'd likely escape anyhow, unless that's just running against the story. I think he'd always be somewhat on the combative side, and be damn near impossible to break. Well, unless the villian had something to hold against him for insurance. Say a captive Alfred or Bat Girl or something. Also, I wouldn't presume to say that it must be Catgirl holding him, but it was the first obvious choice since they've always had chemistry. I could potentially see it being Poison Ivy, Harley Quinn, or Talia Al Ghul.
O/O   A/A

DreadD

Whoo Talia!  Of course, Bat Girl being held prisoner could always be some OTHER villian's job.  I'm sure they'd enjoy that >_>

Stattick

Didn't the Joker already do that? Or maybe he had so much fun, the Joker had to poke her again? *cackles wildly*

EDIT: From The Killing Joke, it was implied that Joker might have raped Barbara Gordon.
O/O   A/A

RedEve

Is Catwoman or Poison Ivy still up for grabs?
"I don't have a dirty mind, I have a sexy imagination."
My ons and offs- My F-list

rainshadow

At this point, the only character gone is Harley. As GM I won't have a specific character, but I'll throw an npc in where needed.

I of course don't want to put the cart before the horse. I guess based on all the replies we actually have ourselves potential for a little game here. Give me a couple days before I'm ready to get it set up (I plan on having a busy day tomorrow and probably the next day) but come Wednesday I'll be able to put my full attention to it.

Stattick: I have Killing Joke and that might be one of the most twisted of my (albeit) small collection. That's the issue where we learn the potential origins of the Joker, but he says himself that his mind is so twisted and out of whack that he doesn't know for sure what's fantasy and what's reality for himself.

The Great Triangle

I'd be up to play the joker, although I'll probobly play the role pretty straight instead of sexy, at least until sexy becomes the most insane way to resolve the situation.   ;D

Most likely the Joker would be busy breaking out of Arkham Asylum and turning an all night comedy club into a FUNHOUSE OF DOOOOM! 

EDIT:  Eventually, of course, he'll get bored and feel compelled to rescue batman, because life just isn't as exciting if you can't be with the ones you love.   ;)
Meow!  I'm a kitty; made of fire.

Ons and Offs

rainshadow

So... here's the list so far...

TaintedSoul as Harley
Great Triangle as Joker
RedEve as either Catwoman or Poison Ivy (I'd like you to make a choice ASAP so that the character you don't choose is open for someone else)

Looks like I'm gonna run with it folks. Feel free to start taking dibs on characters and by Wednesday I'll hope to look into getting it up and running. ;D