News:

"Forbidden Fruit [L-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Looking for the source of an emblem. Now with picture!

Started by Oniya, November 16, 2016, 09:04:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oniya

The long version

My sister does a lot of transactions at the local Re-Use-It store, which is something like an off-brand Goodwill store.  You bring in stuff that's in decent shape that you don't want and they sell it.  The one that she frequents is run by Mennonites, and there are some things that they just won't sell due to 'content', and so they just put them out next to the dumpster in back.  (My guess is that they don't want to take the ultimate step and ruin something that someone could use, but they simply don't want to sell it.)  So, the last time she was there, she found this hat and decided to see if anyone could use it.

And so, I've ended up with this hat, soft canvas with a stiff baseball-style brim, in camo-print coloring.  The interesting thing about it is the emblems on it. The front has a gold skull and crossbones with three stars positioned one in each angle.  On the back, near the closure, is a red cross, a four-leafed clover, and a fleur-de-lis (or possibly the Boy Scouts emblem).  I'm sure I've seen the skull emblem somewhere before, but Google Images is being profoundly unhelpful.  Is it familiar to anyone?

"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Inkidu

If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Oniya

That's what I thought, and the direction I'm trying to research.  But I figured I'd throw out a description (might try to photograph it when the light's better) to see if anyone here was familiar with it.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Verasaille

A picture would be a lot easier to look at and hazard a guess.
I have gone off in search of myself. If I should get back before I return, please keep me here.

RedRose

The pic would help  ;D Maybe someone around me would know.
O/O and ideas - write if you'd be a good Aaron Warner (Juliette) [Shatter me], Tarkin (Leia), Wilkins (Faith) [Buffy the VS]
[what she reading: 50 TALES A YEAR]

Tamhansen

I'm assuming not this one?

Snipped image due to malware warnings
ons and offs

They left their home of summer ease
Beneath the lowland's sheltering trees,
To seek, by ways unknown to all,
The promise of the waterfall.

Oniya

Quote from: Tamhansen on November 17, 2016, 11:20:24 AM
I'm assuming not this one?

Can't get to the image site to see that.  :-\

Verasaille

Yeah that image, Tomhanson, triggered my security software and said it was a threat. Be careful what you post here.
I have gone off in search of myself. If I should get back before I return, please keep me here.

Oniya

Ouroboros

Can you post pictures of the items on the back as well, particularly the red cross and the fleur-de-lis?
Semi-Relevant Information
wants and needs | apologies and absences  | ons and offs

Oniya

Done.  Those are quite small - maybe each the size of my thumbnail.

Thesunmaid

Some mornings its just not worth chewing through the leather straps.
Current Status for posts: working on them Current Status for RP:Tentatively looking

Ouroboros

Hm. I can't really find anything definitive, especially as that's a four leaf clover and not a three leaf clover, and the fleur-de-lis could kind of be like a deformed Budweiser eagle as well? Anyway. It's kind of pinging my white supremacist/separatist militia radar a little. Skull imagery, a red cross, a shamrock (as a note three leaves = white power)... it could be perfectly normal stuff, but it probably depends on your area. Are there active groups where you are? The Southern Poverty Law Center has a hate map that can give you an idea of what's around if you wanted to rule that out. Otherwise, I got nothin'.
Semi-Relevant Information
wants and needs | apologies and absences  | ons and offs

Oniya

Quote from: Ouroboros on November 17, 2016, 07:08:34 PM
Hm. I can't really find anything definitive, especially as that's a four leaf clover and not a three leaf clover, and the fleur-de-lis could kind of be like a deformed Budweiser eagle as well? Anyway. It's kind of pinging my white supremacist/separatist militia radar a little. Skull imagery, a red cross, a shamrock (as a note three leaves = white power)... it could be perfectly normal stuff, but it probably depends on your area. Are there active groups where you are? The Southern Poverty Law Center has a hate map that can give you an idea of what's around if you wanted to rule that out. Otherwise, I got nothin'.

The map is refreshingly sparse around where I am (a good thing to know!)  I can't get a good shot of it due to the position (in a corner and behind the facing inside the hat), but the fleur-de-lis is a bit better defined when you look at the back of the embroidery.  I think I'm going to chalk it up to 'someone thought it would look cool' unless I suddenly find something definite.

Oreo

I loaded the picture to Pinterest and replaced the images. The original image was http rather than https and my have caused an issue.

She led me to safety in a forest of green, and showed my stale eyes some sights never seen.
She spins magic and moonlight in her meadows and streams, and seeks deep inside me,
and touches my dreams. - Harry Chapin

RedPhoenix

Any idea how old it is or what part of the world it comes from? That might help narrow it down!
Apologies & Absences | Ons & Offs
I move the stars for no one.

Oniya

Not really - the cap is in decent condition, with only a little fraying around the front corners of the brim.  It's old enough to be soft as canvas goes.  The closure is Velcro, which puts it somewhere in the modern era, but not a particularly tight range.