News:

"Wings and a Prayer [L-E]"
Congratulations OfferedToEros & Random for completing your RP!

Main Menu

FIFA World Cup 2014

Started by consortium11, May 12, 2014, 10:28:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aleph

Quote from: GrapeTootsiePop on May 13, 2014, 10:28:37 PM
My feelings are 100% the same as Nic.

I am so READY for it!!!

*happy dances*

Yep, for the first time ever I bought an Australian home shirt. Mind you, with the group we're in (Spain, Chile, Netherlands, Australia), I'll be happy if we come away with a point. To be honest I think we could take Chile, we might even score a point on the Dutch (who we beat in both senses of the word just prior to the last world cup) but it will take a lot of new guys getting in sync REAL fast.

Heaven Sent Blossom

The only thing I'm not hype about for the World Cup is having to watch games on ITV, such a terrible circus their football coverage.

Personally I'm assuming Germany are going to win the whole thing, after Arsenal managed to not choke on the FA Cup final I choose to believe that, for a very limited time, all things football are going to fall just how I want them to. And that involves a German world cup win.

Aleph

Quote from: Heaven Sent Blossom on May 17, 2014, 08:02:46 PM
The only thing I'm not hype about for the World Cup is having to watch games on ITV, such a terrible circus their football coverage.

Yeah, I've not heard great things about ITV coverage, I have the usual Australian issue with the world cup, all the games start either at 4:30am or 7:00am.

For reference, I watched the FA Cup last night, kick off was at 2:00am. :/

Deamonbane

You do have a good point... Paulinho is a reference man in the midfield, along with a lot of others. But my point was that they haven't worked all that well together. They get that going, and we could have ourselves an interesting team.
Angry Sex: Because it's Impolite to say," You pissed me off so much I wanna fuck your brains out..."

Remiel

What. The. Fuck.

Landon Donovan won't be joining the US team to Brazil.

Can someone explain that to me?  Donovan is, in my opinion, the only world-class player we have.  It would be like Argentina telling Lionel Messi "Nah, it's okay, go ahead and sit this one out.  We don't need you."

It's really difficult to see this decision as anything but Jurgen Klinsmann throwing in the towel before the games have even begun. 

Sigh. 

Phobetor

I JUST found this out via a text from my friend and posted it on my Facebook so my brother in law can explain it to me. Cause seriously....what the fucking fuck?!

I am NOT happy. >.<
Not Available for new Stories.
Taking a break from E.

kylie

I was a little surprised by it too...  Although I can't say I've been following the back story, so I don't have a whole lot to add.

The Guardian made it sound a bit like either he's been taking too much time off (saying like even he wasn't sure if he'd make the cut), or perhaps he is being treated as a bit old compared to some?  But I have no idea really.

Paladin of Lust

Yeah, when I first read the news, I went 'The US team won't win a single match.'.

Why wasn't he chosen? Sure, the US team might have some notable players (Altidore, Bradley Johnson, Clint Dempsey, etc), but Donovan is and always has been one of the key players and national team captain as well. Well, they might still beat Ghana, but they don't stand a chance against Ronaldo and Portugal and well, Germany doesn't really need awesome strikers to steamroll most teams anyway. Not that Klose, Podolski, Volland and Reus are bad options, of course.
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.

You're only given one little spark of madness. You musn't lose it. - Robin Williams

Le List of Lust (My ONs & OFFs)

Aleph

Out of interest, how many MLS players are in the US squad and do you rate them to make the team?

There's been talk here (Australia) of the number of A-League players that made the squad, I'm admittedly a little optimistic about their inclusion. The squad's rather young and there appears to have been a little acrimony about some of the older players that didn't make the first cut but the current Australian coach (Postecoglu) tends to favor younger talent. Ironically our star player is in the MLS (Cahill) so you guys get to see a lot more of him than I do. :)

kylie

I'm kind of curious to see how Ghana will do. 

They made a very good show a few years back, but I don't really follow all the teams much outside of the big show.  I just like interesting underdogs (if they play an interesting style, or if others are sort of being asses when actually on the pitch  ::)  ).

Aleph

Quote from: kylie on May 24, 2014, 09:57:27 AM

They made a very good show a few years back, but I don't really follow all the teams much outside of the big show.  I just like interesting underdogs (if they play an interesting style, or if others are sort of being asses when actually on the pitch  ::)  ).

There's a few decent players in the Ghanaian squad. You have Essien, Muntari and Ayew in midfield, along with Boateng and Gyan up front. Don't know much about their defenders though.

consortium11

Quote from: kylie on May 24, 2014, 09:57:27 AM

Quote from: Aleph on May 24, 2014, 10:51:30 AM
There's a few decent players in the Ghanaian squad. You have Essien, Muntari and Ayew in midfield, along with Boateng and Gyan up front. Don't know much about their defenders though.

I think they'll struggle.

They have some attacking talent... it's hard to tell quite how good Gyan is right now because of the weak league he plays in but he should basically be in his prime and there's some solid attacking options behind him. The issue is further back where the defense (an goalkeeper) is basically underwhelming at best and the midfield shield is pretty weak; Essien's a shadow of what he was and Muntari's struggling.

You also have to consider the draw they have. In the 2010 World Cup they found themselves in a fairly open group, finishing behind Germany but getting the second spot over Australia due to goal difference. Then came a match with the US... with all due respect, not exactly a footballing powerhouse.... and then the controversial match with Uruguay where they went out. This time around they're in a group with the US (winnable) but also Germany and Portugal. If they do get out of the group it will likely be as runners up... and that means they have to face the winners of Group H... likely the highly talented Belgian team. Past that? Likely Argentina.

Quote from: Paladin of Lust on May 23, 2014, 10:54:14 PM
Yeah, when I first read the news, I went 'The US team won't win a single match.'.

Why wasn't he chosen? Sure, the US team might have some notable players (Altidore, Bradley Johnson, Clint Dempsey, etc), but Donovan is and always has been one of the key players and national team captain as well. Well, they might still beat Ghana, but they don't stand a chance against Ronaldo and Portugal and well, Germany doesn't really need awesome strikers to steamroll most teams anyway. Not that Klose, Podolski, Volland and Reus are bad options, of course.

I suspect this may be the reason...

That's a pretty significant potbelly (the photo was taken in late April) for someone to have at a World Cup, especially in draining South American conditions. Moreover, if Donovon wasn't going to start then I guess you also have to consider how he'd act as someone who's warming the bench... would his ego be able to take it or would he end up being a disruptive force?

I also suspect there's a little bit of long term planning here. Donovon's 32, has already taken one sabbatical (during qualifying which is somewhat poor form) and looks to be falling out of love with the game. I can't see him featuring for the next World Cup... and considering how unlikely the US are to get through the group (again, Portugal and Germany...) I think Klinsmann may have decided to blood some new players with one eye on the years to come.

Paladin of Lust

Didn't know that, since I don't follow MLS or USMNT much. But in that case, it does make sense, if Donovan is letting himself go. No point bringing in a player who won't be at his best. As for Ghana, don't see them finishing higher than third. Gyan's playing in a very weak league, so it'll have a detrimental effect on his football. Look at Lucas Barrios, left Borussia Dortmund (39 goals, 83 apps) for Guangzhou Evergrande (5 goals, 17 apps). Big money, but the football, not so good. Eventually left China and joined Spartak Moscow. So far he's had 15 appearances...only one goal. No longer as good a player anymore. And he doesn't get called up to the Paraguayan national team anymore either. I wonder how Gyan is faring. But I feel the USMNT should have enough to pull off a win against Ghana. Not good enough for the other two in the group though.

Personally am looking forward to see the progress of Germany, England, Spain, South Korea, Japan. Am hoping South Korea can upset Belgium or Russia to steal second place in their group. Should be interesting to see if England's youth 'revolution' has an effect on their games against Italy, Uruguay and Costa Rica. Also am wondering if Suarez will recover in time to face off against Steven Gerrard in England vs Uruguay.
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.

You're only given one little spark of madness. You musn't lose it. - Robin Williams

Le List of Lust (My ONs & OFFs)

pleaseteaseme

Go Italy!  :D

(We're going to do bad  :'( )

Deamonbane

Germany just had another major player injured....
Angry Sex: Because it's Impolite to say," You pissed me off so much I wanna fuck your brains out..."

Aleph

Reus? I just read Ribery is out too, must suck to be the French right about now.

gaggedLouise

The jungle matches, in Manaus at the heart of the Amazon rainforest, will be something to look out for: England vs Italy and the US vs Portugal. I wonder how they'll manage...  ;)

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

Remiel

I really hate to say it, but all signs seem to point to the US doing poorly this World Cup.  I think even Jurgen Klinsmann has said he doesn't expect to get out of the group stage.

Aleph

I don't know, they're in a tough group but Portugal aren't solid, if they can pull a surprise on them and get one over Ghana... who knows?

Downgrading my opinion of Australia's chances down to 'fantastic if we got a point'.

Cheka Man

If England win they won't shut up about it for the next 50 years.  >:)

Nico

Quote from: Cheka Man on June 09, 2014, 10:34:02 AM
Damn right! ;D

gaggedLouise

Quote from: Cheka Man on June 09, 2014, 10:34:02 AM

They'll have to slash their way out of the Amazon jungle with a machete first.  :D

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

Aleph

Does anybody else keep an eye out for the soccer ads that arise around this time? Any favorites?

Not an especial fan of Neymar, but something of an all star cast and I actually liked the soundtrack.

Beats by Dre

My favorites came out years ago though, much to my surprise I learnt this week that they were directed by Terry Gilliam.

The Secret Tournament
The Rematch

Remiel

I remember those commercials.  Roberto Carlos, Luis Figo, Thierry Henry, Ronaldo. 

Phobetor

I don't know if it's related to the World Cup but I found this Nike commercial so awesome. Even though I can't stand Crybaby Ronaldo.

http://youtu.be/3XviR7esUvo
Not Available for new Stories.
Taking a break from E.