The Gauntlet Has Been Thrown: The Future of Superhero Movies

Started by Mathim, November 18, 2014, 02:35:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mathim

Quote from: CaptainNexus616 on September 08, 2015, 05:41:22 PM
With them answering to Disney Studios if there was any budget issues post Avengers that has been definitely solved now.

As for Civil War I can say that it has one thing over Dawn of Justice. Most of the characters in Civil War have their MCU personas already established while yes this will definitely not be a big character development movie other than the Cap vs Stark angle and how it will affect them.  We will know how these characters will more than likely react to the events within Civil War.

We'll go "oh that makes sense for Falcon to team up with Captain America since they are clearly friends since meeting in Winter Soldier and talking briefly in Age of Ultron." Or "Oh that makes sense for War Machine to join Iron Man since Tony and Rhodey are long time friends and Rhodes is a soldier in the U.S. Air Force."

They are taking a big risk with introducing a big character like the MCU Spidey appearing in this movie with so many others but I think they are relying on us to be familiar with his backstory since Spidey has had a total of seven movies with the addition of numerous video games and cartoons in the past 13 years.

Unlike the rest of the MCU characters whom many including myself knew next to nothing about until they saw the movie and decided to look up the comic counterparts.

While with Dawn of Justice? We have no idea what the motives or goals of anyone are except for Superman and a vague idea for Bats based on the trailers we have seen.

Why is Wonder Woman who is she? Why is Aqua Man here who is he? What's Lex Luthor's part? These are the questions people will be asking since DC didn't take the time to establish other backgrounds for these characters. We know Superman is here to protect and save his new home. Almost everyone knows Batman's personal mission to stomp out crime but this movie is trying to promote a different foreign attitude to us that moviegoers are not familiar with. However unless you watched any of DC's other animated and live tv series in the past few decades you have no clue who these other people are or their motives.

So in short I feel Civil War will work better because they already established the bulk of the cast and it will be more action and reaction that will make sense as we already have a grasp as to who these characters are. Sure we won't we probably wont see much character development but with so many appearing it would be difficult however we won't be lost as we have a general idea of who they are and their motives

While Dawn of Justice is throwing a lot of new characters at us blindly with little to go by other than these bits of news and trailers. Leaving an excessive amount up to speculation to people like us who talk about here.

Civil War does have that over Dawn of Justice, true, but like Age of Ultron, it's got a shit-ton of people to share screen time and that doesn't bode well given how badly that went in AoU. Batman Vs. Superman doesn't have that (presumably) with three main heroes and Lex Luthor, plus whoever else might be a major villain. Besides, Spidey isn't the only one with no background to go on; Black Panther is also going to be introduced and he's really not well-known to most people. But at least it's not as bad as Age of Ultron, introducing THREE brand-new hero characters with no prior backstory (one of them not even appearing until the last act).

And Spidey has FIVE movies, not 7.

Also Ant-Man is now officially the 3rd from the bottom as far as the MCU's lowest-grossing films, exceeding the first Captain America and the Incredible Hulk, and is likely to meet or exceed 400 million worldwide which would be awesome. For a relative unknown property that doesn't look like it would dazzle in the trailers like Guardians of the Galaxy, that's not bad. At least it more than doubled its budget. Fantastic 4 has yet to even recoup its production and marketing budgets (200 million total) and is unlikely to by the end of its run. Serves Fox right for such a vindictive dick move. They'd have been better off selling Marvel the rights to them back for 20 million or so, then they'd at least have made a profit and not pissed a lot of people off.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

SapphireStar

Even with Fantastic 4 flopping at the box office, they are still talking about doing a sequel. Rumors circulated that things were so bad on the set of the first one that the director and one of the actors almost got into a fight. Things could swing either way with the restructuring. It could be so easy to go over budget with each film trying to make the next one bigger then the last, especially for the upcoming ones like Inhumans and Infinity War.

Lex Luthor's part in the upcoming Dawn of Justice is that he is working at manipulating both Batman and Superman into fighting each other while working with the Senator played by Holly Hunter to do something akin to what they did in Smallville season 10 with the VRA and like in Marvel Civil war with the Superhero Registration act. Wonder Woman and Aquaman probably show up because the ripple effects are being felt all the way to Atlantis and Themyscara (sp?). Though their presence might be more along the lines of doing a preemptive strike, more from Aquaman. Wonder Woman might be there as part of a delegation or something to do some form of negotiation or something.

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on September 08, 2015, 08:47:58 PM
Even with Fantastic 4 flopping at the box office, they are still talking about doing a sequel. Rumors circulated that things were so bad on the set of the first one that the director and one of the actors almost got into a fight. Things could swing either way with the restructuring. It could be so easy to go over budget with each film trying to make the next one bigger then the last, especially for the upcoming ones like Inhumans and Infinity War.

Lex Luthor's part in the upcoming Dawn of Justice is that he is working at manipulating both Batman and Superman into fighting each other while working with the Senator played by Holly Hunter to do something akin to what they did in Smallville season 10 with the VRA and like in Marvel Civil war with the Superhero Registration act. Wonder Woman and Aquaman probably show up because the ripple effects are being felt all the way to Atlantis and Themyscara (sp?). Though their presence might be more along the lines of doing a preemptive strike, more from Aquaman. Wonder Woman might be there as part of a delegation or something to do some form of negotiation or something.

They're still talking about that? I mean, even Green Lantern didn't do that badly in comparison and they still scrapped any ideas of the planned trilogy over at Warner Bros. This just shows to go that Fox really has nobody with any sense in charge.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

SapphireStar

Fox probably wants to produce just as many Marvel movies as possible to keep up with the main MCU regardless of how good the end product is. I got a glance read of an article regarding Batman vs. Superman which left me scratching my head. Apparently, Warner Bros. was so impressed with Ben Affleck's portrayal of Batman in the footage they saw that they are demanding he have more screentime. Um, didn't he already have plenty? I mean it is titled Batman vs. Superman? And, that would mean Batman/Bruce Wayne would have near equal the amount of screentime?

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on September 09, 2015, 08:14:45 PM
Fox probably wants to produce just as many Marvel movies as possible to keep up with the main MCU regardless of how good the end product is. I got a glance read of an article regarding Batman vs. Superman which left me scratching my head. Apparently, Warner Bros. was so impressed with Ben Affleck's portrayal of Batman in the footage they saw that they are demanding he have more screentime. Um, didn't he already have plenty? I mean it is titled Batman vs. Superman? And, that would mean Batman/Bruce Wayne would have near equal the amount of screentime?

Well if they'd just remove the other heroes like Wonder Woman and Aquaman and give them proper origin story treatment (which Batman isn't even getting) then there'd be no problem, I'd imagine. But they want to make their Avengers-lite recipe come to life as soon as possible, so...

But based on the trailers I can't really say it's Batfleck's performance that really makes it pop, so until I see more footage I can't weigh in on whether he deserves it or not. Logically we would need more Bats than Supes because Supes already had his own movie and Bats didn't get his origin story before this, so there is that to consider.

TheGlyphstone

Also, Warner Bros executives have been conditioned by now - Batman is the only DC superhero who makes anything reliably approaching bank at the box office, so it's logical that they want to fall back on what they think is a solid moneymaker to take point in this movie.

CaptainNexus616

And that was because they had a solid movie trilogy. That consisted of a good crew and writing. I needn't remind anyone of Joel Schmauer nearly running Bats into the ground during the late 90's. Its more than possible to screw up Batman which has been done before.

But hey screw it everyone else seems to be in the game for the money superheroes promise now. Not tell a story like Marvel Studios is doing.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ FLIP THIS TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ ヽ(°□°ヽ) FLIP THAT TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ \(`Д´)/ ︵ ┻━┻ FLIP ALL THE TABLES
▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ Sorry, I just dropped my bag of Doritos in my signature again. ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄┐( °ー ° )┌

TheGlyphstone

Marvel Studios is absolutely in it for the money too, of course. But they are doing it smart, not stupid. That's why they are making so much of said money.

CaptainNexus616

Oh yeah they are there for the money. That's the whole point of making a movie in general but the fact is they are doing this like you said smart. Plus its clear the people making these are putting the love and effort in and not just throwing something together and calling it a superhero movie.
▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ Sorry, I just dropped my bag of Doritos in my signature again. ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄┐( °ー ° )┌

CaptainNexus616

On a different note this was just uploaded today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywZE-NEJ2Ik&feature=player_detailpage

So folks we now officially have a date for Jessica Parker!

Mathim

Quote from: CaptainNexus616 on September 10, 2015, 07:16:17 PM
On a different note this was just uploaded today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywZE-NEJ2Ik&feature=player_detailpage

So folks we now officially have a date for Jessica Parker!

BOUT FUCKING TIME!

Two months before release is kind of weak when we get movie trailers normally several months in advance. Then again, Ant-Man had that same problem and that was a theatrical release. And I think you mean Jessica Jones, brah. She never made a move on Peter Parker and blew him off when he found out she had a crush on him later.

CaptainNexus616

For some reason my mind instantly keeps saying that. Its like a habit for some FREAKING reason *Facepalm*

As for the time period of release? IDK maybe they ran into some issues that slowed them down and Netflix wanted to meet the expected release date regardless of promotion.

Its not like this won't be suggested to us anyway if we watched Daredevil. 

Mathim

Quote from: CaptainNexus616 on September 10, 2015, 07:34:27 PM
For some reason my mind instantly keeps saying that. Its like a habit for some FREAKING reason *Facepalm*

As for the time period of release? IDK maybe they ran into some issues that slowed them down and Netflix wanted to meet the expected release date regardless of promotion.

Its not like this won't be suggested to us anyway if we watched Daredevil.

What won't be suggested? Not sure I have all the context to get what you mean.

But at least Jones will be something different than Daredevil. She's someone who has background as a superhero (albeit a 'loser') and isn't just now coming into their identity. Kind of the reverse, in fact, so that alone makes it very interesting. The particulars just make it all the more so. Plus because her comic series involves having so many characters from other properties that Marvel can't use, this will be a lot different so it won't be a direct adaptation, it will be more of a mystery like how Daredevil worked out (at least I am not familiar with any story arcs that it followed).

SapphireStar

Apparently, Marvel Studios is pursuing Rebecca Ferguson from Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation to play Carol Danvers/Captain Marvel. Okay, I could get behind the choice as she has an action film under her belt and looks capable of playing the role.

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on September 11, 2015, 11:45:24 AM
Apparently, Marvel Studios is pursuing Rebecca Ferguson from Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation to play Carol Danvers/Captain Marvel. Okay, I could get behind the choice as she has an action film under her belt and looks capable of playing the role.

Yet another name I've never heard of. Face-wise, I'd buy her as Carol Danvers. Just bleach the hair and, if I assume correctly from what I read about her background, affect an American accent and she'd probably fit quite nicely. Thing is, can her name carry a movie? I think the studio is probably going to play it safe (despite their risks paying off handsomely) and choose someone who has some clout attached to their name.

CaptainNexus616

I dunno man if they can take the guy from Stardust and make him a badass Dardevil and make Edgar the Farmer (Men in Black) into an awesome Kingpin. I think its safe to take this risk.

SapphireStar

Michelle Pfeiffer pulled off playing Catwoman. The studio is probably trying to capitilize on Ferguson's success in the Mission Impossible movie. And, Fox is looking at one of the actresses from the new Bond movie to play Belladonna in Gambit. I didn't think the guy they got to play Weasel in Deadpool seemed right for the role, but watching the trailer, he is perfect.

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on September 12, 2015, 03:37:50 PM
Michelle Pfeiffer pulled off playing Catwoman. The studio is probably trying to capitilize on Ferguson's success in the Mission Impossible movie. And, Fox is looking at one of the actresses from the new Bond movie to play Belladonna in Gambit. I didn't think the guy they got to play Weasel in Deadpool seemed right for the role, but watching the trailer, he is perfect.

I heard Michael Douglas had wanted Pfeiffer to play Janet Van Dyne.

CaptainNexus616

I heard he wanted his wife Catherine Zeta-Jones to appear in the next Ant-Man movie as well.

Mathim

Quote from: CaptainNexus616 on September 12, 2015, 08:08:19 PM
I heard he wanted his wife Catherine Zeta-Jones to appear in the next Ant-Man movie as well.

She's still alive? I haven't heard from her or seen her in anything in forever.

SapphireStar

Saw an article concerning the Wonder Woman movie. Rumor is they are trying to get Sean Bean and Eva Green to sign on to the movie. Sean Bean would be worth going to see the movie.

mia h

Quote from: SapphireStar on September 14, 2015, 09:42:22 AM
Saw an article concerning the Wonder Woman movie. Rumor is they are trying to get Sean Bean and Eva Green to sign on to the movie. Sean Bean would be worth going to see the movie.
Only if they kill his character in the first 5 minutes.
If found acting like an idiot, apply Gibbs-slap to reboot system.

SapphireStar

If the rumor is true, they'll probably have him playing one of the Gods. Probably Zeus, which would be the second time he played the role. If they are trying to get Eva Green, they might be trying to get her to play Hippolyta or Cerse as she was a villain in the comics and Justice League cartoon.

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on September 14, 2015, 09:50:37 AM
If the rumor is true, they'll probably have him playing one of the Gods. Probably Zeus, which would be the second time he played the role. If they are trying to get Eva Green, they might be trying to get her to play Hippolyta or Cerse as she was a villain in the comics and Justice League cartoon.

Where did he play Zeus before? Percy Jackson or something? LOL, if he was a god, he couldn't die, right? Ha ha. But it does seem like only crappy-style movies with him in it let him live. At least, according to Honest Trailers' Jupiter Ascending trailer.

SapphireStar

Yup, he was in Percy Jackson. He did die in the movie Equilibrium with Christian Bale.

Read another article concerning Captain Marvel. Apparently Emily Blunt was talking about it, saying how there is a short list and how she might not be picked as the names involved are Jennifer Lawerence, and a few others. She also name dropped Angelina Jolie  :o Seriously, if she winds up picked over others, I'm done with superbero movies.