Major security vulnerability found in Internet Explorer (again...)

Started by Vekseid, December 16, 2008, 10:47:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vekseid

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/7784908.stm

Quote"In this case, hackers found the hole before Microsoft did," said Rick Ferguson, senior security advisor at Trend Micro. "This is never a good thing."

As many as 10,000 websites have been compromised since the vulnerability was discovered, he said.

I should probably do another security article about why the former one may matter to you - if one site on such a machine gets compromised, they are all at risk, and if they get their code tampered with, it's usually to attempt to propogate vulnerabilities like these.

Oniya

This is why I keep telling our IT people that they should make the time-card program work on Firefox.  Or at least something other than IE.  (Not that my work hours are so terribly confidential, but who knows what else is on that server.)
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

HairyHeretic

One of the programs I have to use, a web based one, is designed to work with IE. Except for some reason it won't work with IE on my machine. I have to use Firefox with the IE tab plugin, and that works perfectly.

Go figure.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

gideonblake

How good is Google Chrome on security? I must admit that I've moved over to that rather extensively, but I still use IE and Firefox on occasion. Chrome has trouble rendering some stuff and so does Firefox, but I prefer those over IE in general.

HairyHeretic

Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Oniya

If you're concerned about security and use Chrome, remember to turn the keylogger off. True, it supposedly goes only to Google, but who's to say what hacker might try and catch the data before it gets there?
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

TyCaine

Have to say I haven't used IE since version 1.5 of FireFox, though I'm resisting the move to version 3 and keeping my version 2.20 going for as long as possible, but either way it's still way better than IE...

Of course, loading FF down with AddOns that may or may not have been secured as well as FF itself is not the best idea, each additional AddOn adding another potential breach point depending on distributer, but the core is solid.

Heard some reasonable reports on Chrome, but not enough to make me change yet...
Currently tentatively looking for a writing partner or two, pitch me an idea...
My smut dance card is a little full, though I might be tempted with the right story...
Pitch me an idea...

Ons & Offs & Current Threads | Recent Posts | F-List
RPs Wanted 1 | RPs Wanted 2
Apologies & Absences