Renaming Boards!!

Started by Greenthorn, December 10, 2008, 03:53:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greenthorn

And how come no exotic for light/bondage/ and extreme?

Moondazed

Quote from: Caeli on December 10, 2008, 04:46:16 PM
I can see the point too, of course... *tilts head* But I also am blessed with the ability to see the argument from the other side. ^^

I'm happy to consider both sides once I clearly understand what they are.  Is there a reason for that one category being divided?

*hugs Caeli back*
~*~ Sexual Orientation: bi ~*~ BDSM Orientation: switch ~*~ Ons and Offs ~*~ Active Stories ~*~

Moondazed

Quote from: NightBird on December 10, 2008, 04:46:49 PM
What about the mouseover text? That states which boards are consensual and which not.

That's true, but I doubt newbies know to roll their mouse over the titles to discern such things.
~*~ Sexual Orientation: bi ~*~ BDSM Orientation: switch ~*~ Ons and Offs ~*~ Active Stories ~*~

Vekseid

Quote from: Greenthorn on December 10, 2008, 05:01:44 PM
And how come no exotic for light/bondage/ and extreme?

There is for light/bondage?

Caeli

I think GT means a separate Exotic distinction. As in, Light Human and Light Exotic, versus lumping them all into the Light category.
ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀғʟɪᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɢᴏᴅ's ᴘʀᴏᴏғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ
ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴀɪʟᴀʙʟᴇ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏs

ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ❋ ғᴏʀ ɪᴅᴇᴀs; 'ø' ғᴏʀ ᴏɴs&ᴏғғs, ᴏʀ ᴘᴍ ᴍᴇ.
{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪғᴛʜ sᴄʜᴏʟᴀʀʟʏ ᴀʀᴛ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ
»  ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴜɴɴɪᴇs × sᴛᴏʀʏ sᴇᴇᴅs × ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs

NightBird

Quote from: Moondazed on December 10, 2008, 05:05:20 PM
That's true, but I doubt newbies know to roll their mouse over the titles to discern such things.

Then why don't we do a better job of explaining it to them?

Part of joining a community is learning how they do things. We could make that easier, but I don't know that renaming and changing everything is the best way to accomplish the process. There is no such thing as board titles that will, without descriptions, be obvious to everyone without the title being the full description. Teach the newbies how to find out.

*grumbles about FAQs and real help files and fits and starts of changing board names*

Caeli

Oh. And even if they don't mouseover, each description is at the top of every board.

Perhaps make those particular descriptions more prominent?
ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀғʟɪᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɢᴏᴅ's ᴘʀᴏᴏғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ
ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴀɪʟᴀʙʟᴇ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏs

ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ❋ ғᴏʀ ɪᴅᴇᴀs; 'ø' ғᴏʀ ᴏɴs&ᴏғғs, ᴏʀ ᴘᴍ ᴍᴇ.
{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪғᴛʜ sᴄʜᴏʟᴀʀʟʏ ᴀʀᴛ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ
»  ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴜɴɴɪᴇs × sᴛᴏʀʏ sᴇᴇᴅs × ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs

Moondazed

Currently it looks like this:

I believe the point was that only one category has human and exotic separated at that high a level.  Is there a reason for that?  Also, I don't see adding 'consensual' to the light and bondage titles as onerous?

Vekseid

Quote from: Moondazed on December 10, 2008, 06:36:55 PM
Currently it looks like this:

I believe the point was that only one category has human and exotic separated at that high a level.  Is there a reason for that?  Also, I don't see adding 'consensual' to the light and bondage titles as onerous?

Ahh. Well, if we do comine system/freeform, there will be no need, no.

Moondazed

You lost me.  What does that have to do with the way the titles are now?

NightBird

It was my understanding that it had to do with the size that the NC board started to become, so it was split on a logical line that exists within the other boards. I could be wrong on that, though.

I freely admit that I'm something of a curmudgeon (most of you active in this thread have probably heard me say so before!), but I genuinely think that a single chart, or, as Caeli has said, more prominent use of existing descriptions should be fine. If people ask or complain or anything, have a boilerplate answer available to send them, or just give them a link to the chart. Send the chart to every new member upon approval.

I think the reason why we have each split relates directly to major areas where there are divisions of psychological comfort, and I believe that, on a board this size, the separation makes more sense than does tagging.

Explanations that are readily available will be read by 'good citizens' and can be pointed out to those who don't bother to look by 'good citizens' who have. Those explanations make more sense than reorganization, IMSNHO, but I'm just me and kinda cranky tonight.