Exalted 2ed: The West [NC-H/E]: RECRUITING NEW PLAYERS

Started by Blaze, April 15, 2009, 11:20:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thufir Hawat

Just talked to Blaze. She is writing the beginning right now ;).
Expectations are she will be ready in an hour at most.
Join The System Gamers List
Request thread 1 Request thread 2
Request thread 3
ONs and OFFs
"Love is a negative form of hatred." - Roger Zelazny, This Immortal

A&A thread!

Paladin

Coo. I will reply once I get back tonight from running my Shadowrun Game.

Blaze

Remember when it rained.
I felt the ground and looked up high
And called your name.
Ohhhhhh Remember when it rained.
In the darkness I remain.

ONS/OFFS

Paladin

Ok I am extreamly confused about the start of the game or where Kaiser even is in it at this point.

Corinthi

I was too.

Basically, upon reading everything a couple of times, the Exalts have all come together for a War Council to decide what to do. We're all together, on one of the ships and we all know about the 5 plot hooks dangling before us.

Thufir Hawat's post completely threw me because there wasn't a line between him talking to his contact and him starting the council. No offense, Thufir. I just missed the scene transition the first time I read it.

Of course, I could be mistaken, but that's the assumption I ran with to post, so if everyone else does the same, we're cooking with gas.

Paladin

ahh ok thanks.... nope I've read it 6 times and its still dosen't make sense. Its like part of it are for certain people but other parts are just general. Its still confusing as hell.

Corinthi

The opener is that way.

First part: Our boats are sailing together toward something, but what?

Second part: Five of us received plot hooks and then each shared our plot hooks with one another off camera.

Third part: We decide, as a group, what we're doing so we can move back to the 'Present' of sailing toward whomever we're wrecking first.

In effect, we're playing through a chatty flashback before hitting the action, if I read correctly.

Paladin

That would explain my confusion. Considering I'm a passenger probably onboard one thye ship Voichin is on I have no say in the matter.

Corinthi

You're an Exalt and by definition have a say. You don't have to take part in the discussion if you'd rather hold you council, but I don't think anyone's being left out. Especially as we're choosing what sort of hell we want to sail into first.

Paladin

The problem is since none of the introductory scenes involve me as of right now I don't have a say unless someone asks my characters opinions. I mean he's not the type to get loud and insistent over some issues. So I guess till someone asks his opinion he will hold his peace.

Blaze

I thought it was clear. I told you from the beginning - you all know each other and travel together. It's up to you to decide where you want to go  ;)
Paladin, it's up to you to decide how your character would react. You might say nothing or stick with one thing or limbo between two or more.
Remember when it rained.
And called your name.

ONS/OFFS

Thufir Hawat

Quote from: Corinthi on April 25, 2009, 10:42:03 PM
Thufir Hawat's post completely threw me because there wasn't a line between him talking to his contact and him starting the council. No offense, Thufir. I just missed the scene transition the first time I read it.
Sorry about that, I'll make it clearer next time ;D. Actually, I'm going to edit it right now, and you tell me if it is clear enough.

But yes, I summoned you ALL to the War Council, and every single Celestial would have a say in this, if you ask me -- even if it's "I don't really care" ;).

Guys, for all I know, you might choose not to share your information with the rest of us, just mention it if you don't. Since we are two closely interlinked Circles, it makes sense to share it, and that would be the default assumption, but it's still up to you - Exalted is not the game where you can easily push the characters to do something.
I obviously did share my info, and so did Corinthi, but that might be just me :P.
Request thread 3
ONs and OFFs

A&A thread!

Paladin

Ok I have a question. Under the War skill it says that when fighting as a UNIT you use the lower of your combat skills or War. Now from everything I've read and from the fact I have been through basic training a unit is compromised as 2 or more people. NOT a single person. I want to know everyone elsese take on this.

Heres the thesaurus definition

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/army+unit

Thufir Hawat

Quote from: Paladin on April 26, 2009, 07:45:56 AM
Ok I have a question. Under the War skill it says that when fighting as a UNIT you use the lower of your combat skills or War. Now from everything I've read and from the fact I have been through basic training a unit is compromised as 2 or more people. NOT a single person. I want to know everyone elsese take on this.

Heres the thesaurus definition

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/army+unit
Yes, the War skill governs small-unit tactics and large-scale strategy. You need it in mass combat, it says so in the core book, and it allows you to coordinate attacks on a single enemy.
I don't remember if 2 people would count as a unit in Exalted, but you could always check the book on the Magnitude of units.
Request thread 3
ONs and OFFs

A&A thread!

Elohim

It really doesn't matter,  generally an exalted can small military units with relative ease.  I still believe war is necessary though when your fighting as a single unit though I might be wrong.

Paladin

Quote from: Seraph on April 26, 2009, 03:02:54 PM
It really doesn't matter,  generally an exalted can small military units with relative ease.  I still believe war is necessary though when your fighting as a single unit though I might be wrong.

So for example Kaiser goes into battle alone against 2 opponents He has great skill but not much in unit tactics So even though he's alone his skill is still limited by his WAR rating? I find that to be stupid. Another good example would be if during mass combat he starts a fight with the enemy leader and its just them. They are still part of mass combat, so does this mean his War rating still governs how much of his skill is used? This one of the few things I hated about Exalted 2nd ed. Not all of it makes sense.

Elohim

No,  fighting against two characters isn't a unit.  Almost every exalted fight would be considered mass combat then.  Mass combat rules involve armies not squads.  I'm not sure what the rules for challenging an opposing leader is,  it may transform into single combat...  but, its not really hard to keep War/Melee at the same rank...

Paladin

Quote from: Seraph on April 26, 2009, 03:09:33 PM
No,  fighting against two characters isn't a unit.  Almost every exalted fight would be considered mass combat then.  Mass combat rules involve armies not squads.  I'm not sure what the rules for challenging an opposing leader is,  it may transform into single combat...  but, its not really hard to keep War/Melee at the same rank...

considering I have Melee 5 and war 1 that nerfs me in Mass combat, but the book is not clear. It calls any single 1 combatant a SOLO unit, but still adds the Unit tag.

Elohim

Well it was your choice to not keep your melee/war level... if you wanted to be as affective in both you should have made sure you did so, you might not have been as potent but you could focus in both aspects of combat.

Paladin

On a side note I have 2 more enhancements to add to my armor. The choices I like are

Enhanced Healing: regens 1 bashing ever tick, and 1 Lethal ever Hour

Enhanced Durability: add +3L/+3B Soak and +2L/+2B Hardness to the armor making it 15L/15B Soak and 10L/10B Hardness

Essence Shield: Creates a shield of essence that adds +2 to DV against Melee and Ranged attacks

Explosvine Protection: Speed 5, ACC +3, Damage 10L, Rate 1, Range 20 Tags: P AOE centered on the suit. (To Clear enemies out from around him

Thoes are what I like but I gotta choose 2 and only 2 from that list since I allready took Essence Wings.

As to the effective. I don't care about leading a unit. Kaiser will go Solo during battle most of the time. What I'm wondering is if he is SOLO do the War rules apply to him there by reducing his effectiveness because if Yes then I have a bit of points shuffeling around.

Krule

Ok.. with regards to War.. it is necessary for the leader of the unit to have a high war... but that doesn't need to be your character,   With regards to your character, Paladin.. he could be in a unit as a hero, and give his close combat rating to the unit, your limited by the war rating of the commander's war rating.  Having a War rating of one also limits your ability to take command should the commander fall... and if you want to be able to break your unit out of the main unit, and create two units were there was one, you need some war rating.

Thufir Hawat

Quote from: Paladin on April 26, 2009, 03:07:00 PM
So for example Kaiser goes into battle alone against 2 opponents He has great skill but not much in unit tactics So even though he's alone his skill is still limited by his WAR rating?

I find that to be stupid. Another good example would be if during mass combat he starts a fight with the enemy leader and its just them. They are still part of mass combat, so does this mean his War rating still governs how much of his skill is used? This one of the few things I hated about Exalted 2nd ed. Not all of it makes sense.
Yes, alone or not, your skill is limited by your War rating, since you're just not experienced enough against coordinated troops just like a barbarian hero fighting a Legion. You know how it ended for most of them, don't you ;D?

If you start a fight with the enemy leader, though, it becomes single combat and your war rating doesn't matter any longer - but you've got to start that fight first ;)!
Request thread 3
ONs and OFFs

A&A thread!

Vekseid

Blaze

Quote from: Paladin on April 26, 2009, 03:17:56 PM
On a side note I have 2 more enhancements to add to my armor. The choices I like are

Enhanced Healing: regens 1 bashing ever tick, and 1 Lethal ever Hour

Enhanced Durability: add +3L/+3B Soak and +2L/+2B Hardness to the armor making it 15L/15B Soak and 10L/10B Hardness

Essence Shield: Creates a shield of essence that adds +2 to DV against Melee and Ranged attacks

Explosvine Protection: Speed 5, ACC +3, Damage 10L, Rate 1, Range 20 Tags: P AOE centered on the suit. (To Clear enemies out from around him

Thoes are what I like but I gotta choose 2 and only 2 from that list since I allready took Essence Wings.

If I were you I would chose Enhanced Healing and Enhanced Durability  :-) But they all seem nice!
Remember when it rained.
And called your name.

ONS/OFFS

Blaze

Just wanted to point that we are still accepting new players. For now, we have 3 Solars and 2 Lunars, with mostly a male group.
Come on, girls, you've got 5 males in one game - looks like an opportunity to me ;D!
Remember when it rained.
And called your name.

ONS/OFFS