Balamb Garden (Final Fantasy VIII) -Please Use Recruitment Thread in First Post-

Started by Florence, June 27, 2012, 10:28:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caitlin

Quote from: kckolbe on June 29, 2012, 06:13:16 AM
Can't say I'm not looking forward to some of it.  ~smiles~
Just wait till they all hit that time of the month at the same time... You'll probably wish you were facing a T-Rex instead with nothing more but a spoon to defend yourself. ;)

Florence

Here is my SeeD character. They're not an instructor, but may substitute if the unarmed combat teacher or P.E. teacher are out. He will also work with the students often whenever they require SeeD oversight. If he seems at all overpowered, he's sort of supposed to. I intend to have another, student character, who will be more on the same level as the rest of the cast.

CHARACTER APPLICATION
Name: Yuge Oshiro
Enrollment Age: 12

Weapon: Steel Knuckles
Specialization: Martial Arts

Personality: Despite his troubled youth, Yuge is disciplined and patient in his job. He operates with ruthless efficiency. He has no qualms with killing his enemies, and no hesitation in doing so. He seems at face value to be a cold and calculating man. How true that is, remains a mystery to most. Those who have fought alongside him tell mixed tales of a coldhearted monster, and a selfless hero, only making it harder to figure the man out.

Backstory: Growing up in the slums of Timber, Yuge never had an easy life. Galbadia had been weakened after the defeat of the Sorceress, but they struggled to keep hold of their assets. Despite growing sentiment for Timber's independence, the city is still under their control. A new, militant incarnation of the resistance group, The Forest Owls, has risen up to oppose them, and the conflict as only escalated since.

He stayed close with the few friends he had, and tried to make it in this harsh place. He got into a lot of trouble, and spent a lot of time on the streets. He learned to survive, to steal, to cheat and to lie, all before he was even 10. But one day, his parents managed to get an opportunity. A job offer out in Balamb, and they took it. He left his home and moved to Balamb.

He continued getting in trouble, stealing, playing pranks and starting fights. His parents decided there was only one thing to do with him, and convinced Garden to take him in. He hated it, at first, the rules, the bossy teachers. Over time, however, he grew to love it. He took pride in how quickly he was able to pick up the martial arts.

In time, he made SeeD, and only continued rising through their ranks. He really made his name known, when a rogue group of Galbadian soldiers attempted to attack Balamb Town, blaming them for all that had gone wrong with Galbadia. Yuge was instrumental in their removal, and became something of a local hero among the people of Balamb.

Appearance:
Yuge Oshiro as a Student

Yuge's most notable physical traits are likely his dark red hair, and his emerald eyes. His facial build is masculine, but just fine and pretty enough to give him a 'pretty boy' look. His hair falls comes down to his shoulders and typically holds that sort of 'I don't care how I look, but somehow roll out of bed looking amazing' sort of look to it. His general style follows suit, wearing clothes that rarely look like they were put together with any sort of fashion conscious mind, but somehow look good. All this wrapped around a frame that shows well how active his life is. He is hardly a bodybuilder, but he is certainly athletic. His muscles are well built and powerful, but toned and able to move quickly.

He rarely dresses in the SeeD uniform, unless absolutely required to. He also has a habit of smoking on the job. Many wonder, due to this, how he managed to get to his high rank, until they see him in action. He is certainly a man who cares more about actions than appearances.

GF APPLICATION
Name: Yojimbo
Element: Non-Elemental
Description: Yojimbo is a tall figure, wearing a wide-brimmed hat and flowing samurai garb. He carries a short blade, with throwing knives fitted into the sheath, but if he needs to, he can call his legendary katana, Zanmato, from a portal in the ground.
Bonus: Yojimbo provides a boost to Yuge's physical combat skills, making him a faster and stronger oponent, while doing little for magic.
Special Attack: Yojimbo demands payment when he's summoned, the amount he is payed determines which of his weapons he will use. For the smallest payment, he calls his dog Daigoro on the enemy, for a little more, he will use his the knives in his wakazashi, or the blade itself, and for the highest payment he will bring out his Zanmato, said to be able to slice any opponent in half in a single slash.
O/O: I was going to make a barebones F-list as a rough summary, but then it logged me out and I lost my progress, so I made a VERY barebones F-list instead: Here.

kckolbe

If you are going to play two males, that gives us three males and three females, and at least one of the females is only interested in other women.  I just want to stress this since right now everyone is talking about how many women there are and how few men.
Ons/Offs  A/A  Oath of the Drake
(From the Penis Game) Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Penis
I love a wet nymph.  "Letting some guy have [her] just to have another woman is a losing trade"

Buffy: The Vampire Slayer(IC#2)
Intro Thread

Florence

Quote from: kckolbe on June 29, 2012, 07:37:56 AM
If you are going to play two males, that gives us three males and three females, and at least one of the females is only interested in other women.  I just want to stress this since right now everyone is talking about how many women there are and how few men.

I wouldn't really count Yuge. I mean, he's not really going to be one of the MAIN characters. He's got more of a supporting role, as opposed to my student character, who will be more actively involved with the other characters.
O/O: I was going to make a barebones F-list as a rough summary, but then it logged me out and I lost my progress, so I made a VERY barebones F-list instead: Here.

kckolbe

I don't mind too much either way, though I wanted to make sure everyone was on the same page.  So as far as my character goes, I was thinking that he has attempted a final exam twice.  Once he was stuck on a patrol where nothing happened, and on one his team failed their objective, though the failure of another team was a partial factor. 
(From the Penis Game) Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Penis
I love a wet nymph.  "Letting some guy have [her] just to have another woman is a losing trade"

Intro Thread

Caitlin

I could add a male instructor that will help some people with their mission if you want, that character would only make a few appearances at the start of the game though and isn't be open to any relationships. It might take some of the pressure of you for otherwise having to roleplay the entire faculty. ;)

Feel free to discard what's in the spoiler, it's mostly just a quick idea I threw together. :P

Possible instructor
CHARACTER APPLICATION
Name: Maru Delof
Enrollment Age: 10

Weapon: Revolver
Specialization: Ranged
Personality: Maru is a calm and reserved instructor, who mostly stays to himself, though is also often seen in the company of other faculty members. He's known to be afraid of Chocobos, but nobody knows why. Whenever he encounters one he jumps up and runs away screaming, while being chased by the Chocobo, who thinks that he wants to play.
Backstory: Maru enrolled in Balamb Garden at the age of 10, after he had demonstrated his skills with a gun to a SeeD member who goes by the name of Irvine Kinneas. Impressed with the child's abilities he was allowed to enter Balamb Garden based on Irvine's recommendations.
He took his studies very serious, but also showed a talent in engineering and tweaking weapons, which was a skill he had picked up at his father's junkshop. Maru passed his SeeD exam at the age of 19, being a bit of a late bloomer. During the ten years that followed he was regularly sent out on missions, but two years ago he decided that the more regular life at the Garden suited him better and he has been an instructor ever since.
Appearance: Maru is 180 cm (6 ft) tall, has black hair and blue eyes. His regularly exercises keep him fit and his body toned, though his muscles aren't as clearly defined as those of some of the other members of SeeD.

GF APPLICATION
Name: Kigfrit
Element: Fire
Description: Kigfrit is a nephew of Ifrit and looks much like him, though with a slightly darker skin and more body armor.
Bonus: Accuracy
Special Attack: Hell Lash - This attack is performed by a whip of Kigfrit, which rips large fiery boulders out of the ground and hurls them at his targets, dealing a moderate amount of fire damage.

Caitlin

Small side note; I decided to Nasha's shirt a bit. Instead of a yellow star and the name of her favourite pop band it now features a cute chicobo. I can't believe nobody made a chocobo reference yet! ;D

Fenrir

I most certainly think that Yuge should be the twelve year old that trapped Zeniera into a chest.  *grins*

Wants and Won'ts --  (updated 02/20)  |  Ideas and Inventions (open!)
Current CreationsApologies and Absences  -- (updated 04/26)

Latooni Subota

Gosh. I go to work for one day, then sleep, and suddenly it's up to 4 pages! lol

I'll get mine up later this afternoon. Surprise surprise, it'll be a girl! :P
ONs and OFFs be here: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=64984.0

If I'm needed to post somewhere, PLEASE PM me about it. Sometimes I lose track of threads and need to be reminded about things.

kckolbe

Intro Thread

Latooni Subota

Would anyone care if I was the daughter of Irvine, post-retirement from being everybody's favorite sniper? It'd be a good reason as to why my character is pretty handy with a rifle! Also, it amuses me. :3
ONs and OFFs be here: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=64984.0

If I'm needed to post somewhere, PLEASE PM me about it. Sometimes I lose track of threads and need to be reminded about things.

lore

Another girl :)

CHARACTER APPLICATION
Name: Nona Gale
Enrollment Age: 9

Weapon: Shield - round and metallic with rivets around its circumference. Used primarily for defense but can perform melee attacks as well.
Specialization: Defense
Personality: Carefree and humorous, Nona has few ambitions, and is far more interested in the goals and plans of others then her own. She never hesitates to step into the line of fire in defense of another, and does so with a defiant, fearless grin. Having something of a pacifistic streak, Nona is known for advocating every plausible non-violent strategy before escalating a conflict to violence. Content with her lot in life, she has come to believe the peace she desires comes with a price tag: the sacrifice and dedication of trained individuals such as herself. She had a love of chocobos, and they seem to respond well to her calm demeanor. Her favorite passtime is finding some vacant field, laying back, and watching the clouds scroll by.
Backstory: In a freak act of violence just outside the town of Balamb limits, Nona's parents were killed in a car jacking. When an armed drifter ordered her father to abandon his vehicle and his wife within, he resisted. The gunman panicked and shot them both. It was later revealed the shooter had been from Timber, a fact which was never forgotten by Nona's family. Raised by her fisherman uncle, Nona was fed a steady flow of hate and resentment for Timber residents from an early age - the remnants of which linger on to this day.

Believing himself incapable of providing a life that could compare to that of a SeeD, Nona's uncle enrolled her Balamb Garden. It was a difficult transition, but she eventually formed familial bonds with friends that had been previously absent in her life. Over the years Nona demonstrated promise and intellect, puzzling instructors as to why she has botched her SeeD exams time and again. Truthfully, Nona is reluctant to leave the garden and engage in real combat.     
Appearance:
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
Nona is on the short side, 5'3'' with a healthy amount of muscle. She has a pear shape, with a smaller chest and broader hips. There's a wholesome, simple air to her and her fair skin has a healthy glow to it. Her wavy dirty blond hair is usually pulled back into a sloppy bun while in combat. Her eyes are a bright pale blue and generally carry an amused lackadaisical expression. When not in uniform, she wears a red hoodie, gray track jacket, jeans and leather ankle boots.   

GF APPLICATION
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
Name: Golem
Element: Earth
Description: Golem has no consistent shape, and instead rises up from the earth in a different configuration of rock, roots, wood, moss, ect every time he awakens. Usually this shape is humanoid, but he could arise in the shape a rabbit, bear or chocobo etc if he desired. 
Bonus: Strength, defense.
Special Attack: When Golem appears he can be directed to give a hit or take a hit. Give a hit: Golem slams back into the earth, sending a seismic shock toward the enemy (AoE). Weaker enemies are disoriented on top of taking damage. Flying enemies are unaffected. Take a hit: Golem can be assigned an ally. The next time that ally is attacked, he not only absorbs the damage, but delivers a powerful counter attack.   

Caitlin

Quote from: Latooni Subota on June 29, 2012, 02:26:50 PM
Would anyone care if I was the daughter of Irvine, post-retirement from being everybody's favorite sniper? It'd be a good reason as to why my character is pretty handy with a rifle! Also, it amuses me. :3
I believe the OP specifically requested that we don't play relatives of the known heroes and start up a completely new cast instead. We're allowed to reference to them though! :-)

QuoteBelieving himself incapable of providing a life that could compare to that of a SeeD, Nona's uncle enrolled her Balamb Garden.
Don't you mean herself?

Also the picture of your character doesn't show up, but I like the overall character and GF you came up with. ^_^

One question about the 'take a hit'/ 'give a hit' though, is that something you can do with every  melee attack or is it an ability that's only active when Golem is summoned?

lore

Nope. I meant himself. Her uncle didn't think he could provide for her.

Give/take a hit is a summon maneuver.

Though I imagine cover would be among Nona's favorite magic.

Fenrir

I love your GF lore- great, great golem picture ;D

lore

Thanks. i thought it had that dark realism I love from FF8.

Florence

Quote from: Caitlin on June 29, 2012, 03:30:54 PM
I believe the OP specifically requested that we don't play relatives of the known heroes and start up a completely new cast instead. We're allowed to reference to them though! :-)

Don't you mean herself?

Also the picture of your character doesn't show up, but I like the overall character and GF you came up with. ^_^

One question about the 'take a hit'/ 'give a hit' though, is that something you can do with every  melee attack or is it an ability that's only active when Golem is summoned?

First point: Quite right, you are. I would prefer if you not have a direct relation to Irvine. You can certainly list him as an inspiration, as I'm sure he's famous by now.

Second Point: Reading it, I believe "himself" referred to her uncle. And on that note, I like the character. I'll have to have Yuge out and about a bit in social situations (though I can't stress enough that I intend to employ him in direct combat only VERY rarely, unless its sparring or demonstrating techniques for a class), because I feel like the two of them would have one interesting relationship. Her dislike of people from Timber, him BEING from Timber. Her pacifist nature, his willingness to kill.

Quote from: Fenrir on June 29, 2012, 12:34:06 PM
I most certainly think that Yuge should be the twelve year old that trapped Zeniera into a chest.  *grins*

Perhaps. He was a trouble maker, but not a bully. He wouldn't have just randomly picked a fight with a younger student. The most trouble he caused would be with the Disciplinary Committee :P

Capone

So against all better judgment, I shall be joining this group game I think. I just can't promise frequent postings. But my character will be a slacker, so if I have to be absent for X period of time we can just say he's off slacking somewhere.

I'll get to work on a character sheet.

*sigh*...I'm gonna pay for this, I bet.

Fenrir

Quote from: Finn MacKenna on June 29, 2012, 03:45:36 PM
Perhaps. He was a trouble maker, but not a bully. He wouldn't have just randomly picked a fight with a younger student. The most trouble he caused would be with the Disciplinary Committee :P

Fine, then I'll need someone else to create a bully to have thrown my character in a treasure chest- who doesn't need an arch rival?

Quote from: Capone on June 29, 2012, 03:49:08 PM
So against all better judgment, I shall be joining this group game I think. I just can't promise frequent postings. But my character will be a slacker, so if I have to be absent for X period of time we can just say he's off slacking somewhere.

I'll get to work on a character sheet.

*sigh*...I'm gonna pay for this, I bet.

*squeaks* >.>

Caitlin

Quote from: lore on June 29, 2012, 03:40:06 PM
Nope. I meant himself. Her uncle didn't think he could provide for her.

Give/take a hit is a summon maneuver.

Though I imagine cover would be among Nona's favorite magic.
Thanks for the clarification! ^_^

And yeah, I can see that cover would be her favourite. Nasha doesn't really have a preference for offensive or healing magic, though I don't think she'll have a lot of protective/ status curing spells. I didn't really give that a lot of thought, but if another character specializes in supporting magic then Nasha won't pick it up.

Actually, come to think of it, I do think that she has a preference for ice magic, due to the region where she grew up, so I'll probably focus on that a bit more than the other offensive magic types.

kckolbe

James' GF (if approved) will cast protect/shell, depending on the threat.  Also, he is decent at magic and will have some support capability.

Intro Thread

Revenent

Geez, I'm having a hard enough time keeping up with this topic to be able to actually sort through my ideas. ;D (Case in point: 7 new replies as I went to the post preview page.)

I guess I'll be putting up a male character, if I can manage to pick a few ideas and find a niche that hasn't been taken yet. I might be able to do it tonight, but that's not for sure, since I like to put a lot of thought into these things. Plus I'm in the middle of starting one group RP and revitalizing another.

lore

Yuge - I look forward to seeing Yuge. Nona's distrust of Timber natives is insidious - she's not even all that aware of her prejudices, but if something went wrong while he was leading a group, she'd be quick to assume it was his fault. Her perma-smile would also fade in his presence. I think they'd have interesting sparring/training sessions.

James - I'd very much like it if these two were friends, given their shared age and layed back dispositions. Maybe they both failed thier SeeD exams together. The fact that James is trying so hard while failing and Nona is purposefully not trying in order to fail could be straining the friendship.

kckolbe

Why is she wanting to fail?  Also, since this is her last year, is she trying to fail this time as well?

Intro Thread

AribethAmkiir

Quote from: Revenent on June 29, 2012, 03:55:12 PM
Geez, I'm having a hard enough time keeping up with this topic to be able to actually sort through my ideas. ;D (Case in point: 7 new replies as I went to the post preview page.)

I guess I'll be putting up a male character, if I can manage to pick a few ideas and find a niche that hasn't been taken yet. I might be able to do it tonight, but that's not for sure, since I like to put a lot of thought into these things. Plus I'm in the middle of starting one group RP and revitalizing another.

I hear you.  I have no idea if there's even a niche left to fill or a GF, much less adding another female character is likely unwanted.  It'd be very nice to participate, but we've already got people throwing up two characters so I don't know if there'll be anything left when I finally have time to create a character.  Might just have to step away from this one.  :-(