Name that Book

Started by Serephino, March 04, 2012, 10:33:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Serephino

I was thinking about this book I read a long time ago for school.  It was science fiction, and I remember is was about these kids, 3 of them I think.  Their father was trying to figure out how to travel into space or something and disappeared.  Then something about a weird neighbor that ended up being an alien...  They end up going after him and found him in this strange city.  Anybody have any idea what I'm talking about?

Oniya

It sounds a lot like 'A Wrinkle In Time'.  The neighbor (Mrs. Which), the three kids (Calvin, Meg Murray, and Charles Wallace Murray), and the strange city (Camazotz - a place where everyone acted the same and any deviation resulted in punishment by IT.)
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Serephino

Yes, I think that's it.  Thanks.

Izu

Oniyapedia strikes again! :D

ONs and OFFs || M/M Search || Izu's A&A
...Like reflections on the page, the world's what you create...

Oniya

One of my favorite books growing up :-)  No StoreHouse needed.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Jag

Quote from: Oniya on March 05, 2012, 02:06:14 AM
One of my favorite books growing up :-)  No StoreHouse needed.

+1

I loved that book.
Ons/Offs // Request Thread (Updated 3/10/24) // Slow to Reply at the Moment

Serephino

It was pretty good from what I can remember.  I had to read it and take a test on it.  When I was in 11th grade my school came up with this stupid idea that in order to get kids to read more, we'd all have to read a book and do a report for every subject every semester.  It was bullshit.  My Chemistry teacher agreed it was bullshit, so she picked out a bunch of science fiction books, and instead of a report we just had to take a multiple choice test.

Oniya

Silverfyre

I have never read it, although it is certainly on my list.

Since we are playing the "Name that Book" game, I got one for you.  I remember reading an old science fiction novel as a kid that was about humanity being wiped out by some alien species and scattered across the galaxy.  They were pretty much treated as tolerated refugees on alien worlds since Earth had been turned into a nuclear wasteland.  The only survivors had been a wing of military pilots from the scouting wing of the space navy and they had been all men.  No women survived the attack and now the race of humanity was dying out.

Or so they thought.  Some alien race wanted the men of humanity to help them wipe out the aliens that had destroyed Earth and promised them some human women in return for their help.   It gets a little murky from here but apparently the women had been abducted years before or something.  Anyways, they succeed, humanity is saved and they start rebuilding Earth.

Any one have any idea what the title might be?  I know it was an older book (50s - 80s) but from that really is it.

jaybee55

Hmm.... that's a puzzle.

Until you got the the part about there being no women I thought it might be White Wing by Gordon Kendall.  But now I'm stumped.
Ons and Offs (incomplete)

Ignis

I read a lot more fantasy than sci fi so I cant really help but since there is a thread about it already and I have had something stuck in my head for a while I have one...

It was about orcs, but not your typical orcs, they are "good" orcs mercs who are trying to find somewhere they fit in instead of you know... being looked at like they are orcs. I dont remember a lot about it except it was almost a D&D setting and the leader kept having dreams about an orc homeland. I read the first book a couple of years ago but forgot to check back on it and the title has been lost. Its not a lot to go on but any ideas?