Looking for my first DnD roleplay

Started by Innocence, March 17, 2012, 03:30:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ignis

You need 4 interested people to run a party, so there have to be 3 more interested people somewhere on this forum. :P

Also sorry for hijacking the thread this much.

Muse

A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Gary Stargazer

Huh? Am I supposed to rescue something? >>
Official fanboy of Oreo. <3
Allow me to show you how I like to play. <3
I'm not just a member of The Oreo Fan Club, I'm the president.

Brandon

Quote from: Gary Stargazer on March 18, 2012, 07:58:32 PM
*scratches the back of his head* Well I've not tried running anything online, still new to forum based games like this, though I did cut my teeth on the table top stuff when I was 12. I guess I could try throwing together an interest thread to see if anyone would want to play shadowrun here, I just figured no one would care to want to play since it's not a hugely popular system.

I would offer to GM something with pathfinder but I'm still getting used to that system myself and a large group would be too much for me to handle I would imagine.

Actually theres quite a few people, myself included, that would be into a shadowrun game. Ive always wanted to play but never had the opportunity. The hardest part is finding a GM for it since so few people are comfortable with the setting.

I think Muse was confusing that idea for an interest in GMing a D&D/pathfinder game
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

Gary Stargazer

Quote from: Brandon on March 19, 2012, 02:05:17 AM
Actually theres quite a few people, myself included, that would be into a shadowrun game. Ive always wanted to play but never had the opportunity. The hardest part is finding a GM for it since so few people are comfortable with the setting.

I think Muse was confusing that idea for an interest in GMing a D&D/pathfinder game

Ooooh, Well you already offered to run something as far as pathfinder goes.
As far as shadowrun goes I may very well start an interest thread over it, I think the tricky part would be that here on E when you use the dice bot it only shows a roll total even when using multiple dice, and shadowrun like whitewolf uses multiple dice per roll.

ZameRagues

The E dice bot shows the individual results of the die as well as the total of the dice.
Pure Impulse Plays
Discord - Zame Ragues#8888
Dice Bot - 18627
O/Os

Gary Stargazer

Oh well don't I feel silly, didn't notice that if you click on the roll ID it shows it. I always only saw the total when you copied the url of the roll.

ZameRagues

No reason to feel silly over something small like that.
I've done worse things to make a fool of myself.
Pure Impulse Plays
Dice Bot - 18627
O/Os

Love And Submission

I'd be interested  but I ave to l admit I played a 3.5e game though it was a while ago and I've forgotten almost all of the information I learned.

Discord: SouthOfHeaven#3454

Gary Stargazer

This is the last topic I will bring up on shadowrun since I don't want to spam up her thread, however I did notice one major hurdle to cross. As most people have already stated they are interested but don't know how to play, I've found it rather difficult to find online PDF's of the books and such short of using a torrent to pirate them. I own the books in r/l but that won't help with trying to teach over the net. I'm starting to see why no one runs the games now. No way to share material with the players.

sleepingferret

Both Pathfinder and 3.5 have online SRDs, which contain the basics..though they aren't necessarily presented in a manner that can help teach new players. 

3.5 SRD www.d20srd.org

Pathfinder SRD www.d20pfsrd.com

They do contain the information the new players will need, to create characters and understand how the game works.  It is just the manner in which the material is presented, that isn't helpful to the learning process for new players.  Some may be able to read through and be fine, others may just be more confused than when they first started.  But as a reference source, and with a good guide(s), the SRDs can be very useful and also make useful tools to even players who own the actual source material.

I own the books, but sitting at the table with my group I found it quicker to find things using my laptop using the SRD.

Brandon

I have to be clear on something, if I end up running this game its going to be for Innocence. I always enjoy getting people into the hobby but because its her first time I want to make it special. Thats why its so important that I know what she thinks of when she thinks of fantasy roleplaying, Ive got to create a game that lives up to the imagination
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

Ignis

Quote from: Brandon on March 19, 2012, 04:39:05 PM
I have to be clear on something, if I end up running this game its going to be for Innocence.

I couldnt have said it better. *Thinks of something to keep from making this a one sentence reply.* It is more about getting her into the game than anything else IMHO. Now just have to wait for her to reply about 3.5 or 4th (or pathfinder...).

Brandon

Acctually Im only running a pathfinder game. Im done with 3.5 and you couldnt pay me enough to touch 4th edition. What Im talking about is I want to understand the ideas in her head when she thinks of fantasy roleplaying. Does she think of dark dungeons with undead or demons plaguing local towns? Does she imagine setting out on an adventure to build her own kingdom to rule as a benevolent queen or dictatorial warlord? Does she see the game as entering the lairs of dragons to slay them and steal their stuff? Does she see it as long expeditions into forgotten ruins in search of magical items?

Everyone has a different idea of what fantasy roleplaying is before they even consider a system. I want to know what her vision is

Ignis

I was saying in general whatever she decides on, if she is ok with pathfinder or not.

Gary Stargazer

Ah I remember my first D&D game, I played a ranger. :3

Innocence

I have school for a few days and suddenly my thread gets spammed [YAY]
lolol ok now to attempt to reply to everyone...

It seems I'd be better off with pathfinder since people seem to recommend it and Brandon provided a link [many thanks =D]
And to answer youre question when I think of DnD I think of a bunch of nerds sitting in a poorly lit, unconventionally small room with the DM telling a story in a hauntingly macabre voice.  And the players shouting 'I pull out my +5 atk sword and slice the goblins hideous head off!!'
Is that right? haha, well in short I think it woudl be playing Dragon Age [?]

In my years of roleplay I've learnt that anything is possible =]

And Gary , thanks for your input =]
But twilight has ruined vampires and werewolves for me, and although I know there's many [MANY] table top systems out there I figure I'd play the one most popular or most heard of, just so I can get a feel of it. 

Quote from: Ignis on March 18, 2012, 07:14:14 PM
As a DM? Well Innocence created the thread and hasnt played before. I dont think we have decided on 3.5 or 4th ed yet. If we could get that figured out and then let the DM get to work devising new ways to kill us we would be set. :P

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

This is totally going on my facebook XD
BWAHHAAa

Quote from: DTW on March 19, 2012, 04:09:15 AM
I'd be interested  but I ave to l admit I played a 3.5e game though it was a while ago and I've forgotten almost all of the information I learned.
I'm leaning more towards Pathfinder now hehe
so if you havent played that yet we can all learn together yay =D

If I missed anyone I am sorry T.T

Ok so what I think I'm getting from this sea of replies is...
Brandon is willing to DM/GM?
Ignis is willing to play yes yes?

ZameRagues

i'm game for pathfinders.
I haven't tried it yet either.
Pure Impulse Plays
Dice Bot - 18627
O/Os

RubySlippers

I like Pathfinder also, if you have space I wouldn't mind running a cleric they are a good self-contained class and your likely going to need one, not sure of what diety or power though but one would be fun.

Marie Reynolds

I'm willing to play and their is something that will save vampire fantasy watch helsing ultimate

Brandon

I dont know about others but this kind of thing has never happened in my games

Dead Alewives Summoner D&D skit

Now that Ive lightened the mood. Yes Im willing to run the game. Im going to make it so that those who are new to pathfinder get garanteed slots for players. So basicly this is a newbie game where people can learn the system, ask questions, etc etc. On that note Im going to be limiting the player count to my usual 5.

Ill have to consider a good story to begin with. I prefer to keep this at 1st level so theres less for you all to learn starting out so Im thinking an adventure path would be best. As for which one, Im unsure at the moment.

Innocence

Quote from: ZameRagues on March 19, 2012, 10:10:55 PM
i'm game for pathfinders.
I haven't tried it yet either.

Yay learning together will be great =D

Quote from: RubySlippers on March 19, 2012, 10:26:41 PM
I like Pathfinder also, if you have space I wouldn't mind running a cleric they are a good self-contained class and your likely going to need one, not sure of what diety or power though but one would be fun.
Aws I wanted to be a cleric/ support
I tried being a tank once but I always die hahaa, I'm better at support than anything else I realized =]

Quote from: Marie Reynolds on March 19, 2012, 10:27:49 PM
I'm willing to play and their is something that will save vampire fantasy watch helsing ultimate
Helsing like the anime?
I will need to watch it some time it's on my 'to do' list

Quote from: Brandon on March 19, 2012, 11:05:45 PM
Now that Ive lightened the mood. Yes Im willing to run the game. Im going to make it so that those who are new to pathfinder get garanteed slots for players. So basicly this is a newbie game where people can learn the system, ask questions, etc etc. On that note Im going to be limiting the player count to my usual 5.

Ill have to consider a good story to begin with. I prefer to keep this at 1st level so theres less for you all to learn starting out so Im thinking an adventure path would be best. As for which one, Im unsure at the moment

Thanks so much Brandon =D

Also... I think we should set up a time when we can all be online and stuff.
I figure it'd run more smoothly when everyone is online at once for maybe 2 or 3 hours a week or fortnight
as opposed to just posting when we get online whenever [things get messy]
Does that sound good?

Brandon

As in a chat room sort of roleplay? I could use my YIM to set up a private room but this lacks maps and a dice roller. Im open to suggestions though

ZameRagues

Quote from: Brandon on March 19, 2012, 11:05:45 PM

I act like that periodically when I'm screwing around with my friends while we're playing whatever tabletop they want to DM
Pure Impulse Plays
Dice Bot - 18627
O/Os

Innocence

Oh no no I just mean coz everyone is probably in different time zones
so whenever I'm in a group roleplay of any sort we try to find a time when we can all [or a majority of us] will be online
because if one or two players are not online while everyone else is it kind of throws off the balance