News:

Main Menu

The new Star Wars

Started by Beorning, October 24, 2015, 03:10:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beorning

You know, I kind of have mixed feelings regarding the movie that's coming in December...

I mean, it might be cool to see some new SW movies, but... what if the situation with the prequels repeats itself? The prequels were quite bad - I actually watched Episode 3 today (one Polish station is rerunning all SW movies these weeks, no doubt in preparation for December) and it was trash. Way too much of obvious CGI, atrocious writing... I really am angry at Lucas that he spoiled the canon with such poor stories.

So... what if the new movies turn out to be bad? We know that Episode 7 is going to look way better than the prequels, closer to the feel of the original movies, but there's still the question of the story. Who knows what the folks at Disney cooked up. What if the canon gets spoiled even further..?

BTW. Speaking of the movies' feel: when you're imagining the SW universe, what do you see it like? A bit gritty, like the original movies, or high-space-fantasy-like, all-shiny and high-tech, like the prequels?

CaptainNexus616

I think SW universe we will be seeing in this next movie is the galaxy scarred by Empire and is trying to heal. You summed up the setting pretty well actually. During the prequels it was all shiny and high tech because it was a democracy (A corrupt one) but a democracy none the less. When the empire moved in they oppressed everyone and brought the galaxy into a dark age.

I'm somewhat worried if they plan to kill Han off. Back during the Return of the Jedi to my understanding, Harrison Ford wanted Han to be killed off. I'm seriously betting either Han or Chewie is going die in this movie.

That all aside here is a fun fact for everyone concerning Han Solo. Harrison Ford was originally hired to read lines for actors auditioning for the role of Han. Lucas was so won over with his performance he hired him instead.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ FLIP THIS TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ ヽ(°□°ヽ) FLIP THAT TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ \(`Д´)/ ︵ ┻━┻ FLIP ALL THE TABLES
▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ Sorry, I just dropped my bag of Doritos in my signature again. ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄┐( °ー ° )┌

TheGlyphstone

If Han gets stuck with being the Obi-Wan - the wise old mentor who tells the new cast all about the previous age and its wonders (which his line in the trailer implies), then he's dead meat walking.

HannibalBarca

I already see a lot more emotional buy-in within the three trailers than all three prequels combined.  You know what I mean--as fiction writers here at E, our RPs don't do well unless we can root for the characters--get a connection to them.  The prequels were emotionally cold in all but a few spots.  Actually, one of my top ten most favorite scenes in all of the Star Wars films was in Episode 3, where Padme and Anakin are in their separate buildings on Coruscant, and no words are spoken.  No crappy dialogue to ruin the moment, and it is all facial expressions and body language, as we see the agony in both characters.  Hayden and Natalie did their best acting in that scene, and nary a word was breathed.  That scene probably provided 95% of the emotional weight of their relationship, which is really a sad thing considering there were three movies to create their relationship in.

No, I think JJ and Disney knew they had to nail this movie, or the price of buying the franchise wasn't going to be worth it.  I'm sure they did their homework.  From the look and feel of the trailers, I think they got it right.  Just how good it will be is up in the air, though.

And I like the planetside scenes gritty, but the space scenes shiny.
“Those who lack drama in their
lives strive to invent it.”   ― Terry Masters
"It is only when we place hurdles too high to jump
before our characters, that they learn how to fly."  --  Me
Owed/current posts
Sigs by Ritsu

RubySlippers

Well first they better not screw this trilogy up.

Okay my interest is that planet or moon with the big lens in the poster seems they made a budget Death Star using a planet as the base for it maybe some kind of planet surface killing weapon the trailer hinted they have some kind of terror weapon.

And where is Jar Jar Binks, we need him. j/k

Inkidu

You know, at this point I have no sympathy for Star Wars fans (of which I am one). Episode 1 sucked, but everyone still lined up around the corner to see Episode 2, and it sucked, but behold and lo, they lined up around the corner for the third movie. Okay, so maybe Lucas dropped the ball a lot, but you still gave Skywalker ranch a gold plated super hot tub.

I think most of it happens to be place and time, lightning in a bottle, fans disappointed when it couldn't re-spark some embellished by nostalgia (as all things are in memory, that's why I refuse to go back and watch the Dark Crystal. It might hold up, but I don't want it not to...), and at the crux probably being about ten when you watch the first one. I saw Episode 1 when I was ten and have nothing but fond memories of it, but yeah, I've seen them all and each have their high points and low points. I mean there are portions of Return of the Jedi that are just painful to sit through, and there are awkward bits in Empire and New Hope. It's all kind of moot though because Lucas got to laugh all the way to the bank on the wallets of people who hate him.

That's pretty freaking brilliant now that I put it into words.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

CaptainNexus616

You know...I don't mind the lightsaber claymore. (That's right come at me haters I dare you!) really I think if you were trained properly that weapon could provide you some extra defense and assault.
▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ Sorry, I just dropped my bag of Doritos in my signature again. ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄┐( °ー ° )┌

Inkidu

Quote from: CaptainNexus616 on October 24, 2015, 09:42:48 PM
You know...I don't mind the lightsaber claymore. (That's right come at me haters I dare you!) really I think if you were trained properly that weapon could provide you some extra defense and assault.
Claymore hating is just grasping at straws as far as I'm concerned.

That's not the weirdest thing to come out of Star Wars lightsabers.

They had light chucks at one point. You know why Michelangelo is the most awesome ninja turtle? Because chucks take the most skill to use. Those thing are mini-flails.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

TheGlyphstone

The light claymore bothers me only because it's so close to being awesome - but the gap between the crossguards and the blade is too big to actually provide any protection against locked blades, which is the whole point of a crossguard. Another inch or two of laser inward and it'd be perfect, but as-is that tiny bit bugs me.

Stella

This is how I feel about SW:

Basically it's like Star Wars is my ex and we had a bad break-up, and now we're sort of seeing one another as friends again and it's hard for me to get too involved because I'm afraid I'll only get hurt.

So seeing the new trailer is kind of like seeing your ex with a new haircut at a party and going, "well, shit, you look really good."

It was a good trailer and the X-Wings look fantastic but I'm suffering too many old feels to go ballistic.

Mathim

Has anyone ever concocted a Sai model lightsaber? I have an idea for how it could work without just having the two extra blades be cut off on contact but I'm wondering if someone else thought of something like that first.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

SapphireStar

They created tonfa lightsabers. Kyp Durron in the Jedi Academy trilogy created a lightsaber with multiple crystals which allowed him to create an extended blade length.

Inkidu

Yes there's a sai lightsaber. It looks silly, but still kind of cool. It ignites and these robo-bits filp around to provide the left and right prongs.

Also on the claymore. It's not to provide protection. It's vents for the plasma discharge from the crystal I'm sure. Look at the instability of that blade, Lord of the Sith their is overclocking his saber you.

HannibalBarca

Yeah.  Kylo Ren--or whoever made the 'saber' was working from incomplete instructions, because that isn't the smooth blade like Darth Vader had...or even a typical Sith from the Old Republic.

Is there going to be a resurgence of the Sith and Jedi.  Some people say Luke is going to turn evil...then who is left to pass on the Jedi training to Finn and Rey and Poe?  Doesn't look like Leia became a force user.  And if Luke teaches the new heroes...who ressurects the Sith?  Maybe no one does, and some new form of dark force users arise.  Maybe the Knights of Ren are it.  Regardless, people who are force-sensitive would still be born in the galaxy, and even if they have to figure it out on their own, they aren't going away.

By the way, exactly how many troops do you need to garrison worlds and man the Imperial Fleet?  I heard somewhere the Imperial army and navy had something like a trillion troopers.  When you consider just how many inhabited worlds there are in the Star Wars galaxy, you wonder just how many Jedi were being turned out by the old temple or academy back in the day...and unless they were in the millions, well...  I can't see some thousands making any kind of difference in a political entity the size of a galaxy

Or maybe I'm just not suspending my disbelief enough.
“Those who lack drama in their
lives strive to invent it.”   ― Terry Masters
"It is only when we place hurdles too high to jump
before our characters, that they learn how to fly."  --  Me
Owed/current posts
Sigs by Ritsu

Inkidu

The Sith are not a people to be expunged (well, not anymore if the expanded universe is to be believed).

The Sith are an idea, a philosophy, and you can't destroy an idea.

Aiden

@Hannibal- I think that was supposed to be the point of Jedi. They are literally some small little religion within a massive universe that has way more influence then it really should.

I think the universe is set up a lot of force sensitives, but without training (Jedi or Sith getting their hooks into them), doesn't it just mean they are slightly better in some fields. Better at flying, better at shooting, able to sense things, etc etc.

SapphireStar

Maybe Darth Krayt like in the comic books. He had been a Jedi, wore the Tusken Raider attire but was captured by the Vong. There is also the Lost Tribe of the Sith. Lots of Holocrons were left scattered about. Exar Kun's ghost haunted a temple on Yavin 4 where he corrupted Kyp Durron into using the World Crusher.

According to several sites, Andy Serkiss is playing Supreme Leader Snoke who is Kylo Ren's master and a powerful figure of the dark side. Another article cited that Mark Hamill apparently petioned to have Luke Skywalker be evil. Think it was mentioned Luke is in self-imposed exile on Dagobah?

Deamonbane

I thought that they said that they would be abandoning all the canon post-Return of the Jedi. No Vong (BLASPHEMY!), no Kun's haunting, and no Boba-Fett as Mandalore.
Angry Sex: Because it's Impolite to say," You pissed me off so much I wanna fuck your brains out..."

SapphireStar

I've read conflicting reports. Some say they still plan to use elements of the expanded universe, others saying no. While stuff from the Star Wars Rebels will be incorporated.

TheGlyphstone

That was the whole point of the Legends branding - the entire post-RotJ universe is now officially non-Canon, giving them total freedom instead of being slaved to a timeline that is detailed out to hundreds of years post-movies. They can 'salvage' bits of the old EU and make them canon again if they want, while doing so selectively. Whether they will or not is unknown, but it's an option if they decide to do it.

Mathim

Quote from: Inkidu on October 24, 2015, 10:39:42 PM
Yes there's a sai lightsaber. It looks silly, but still kind of cool. It ignites and these robo-bits filp around to provide the left and right prongs.

Also on the claymore. It's not to provide protection. It's vents for the plasma discharge from the crystal I'm sure. Look at the instability of that blade, Lord of the Sith their is overclocking his saber you.

Is there a picture link or should I just google it?
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

Oniya

Quote from: Deamonbane on October 25, 2015, 12:40:17 PM
I thought that they said that they would be abandoning all the canon post-Return of the Jedi. No Vong (BLASPHEMY!), no Kun's haunting, and no Boba-Fett as Mandalore.

There is some evidence that Disney is keeping Boba-Fett.

http://www.flickeringmyth.com/2015/04/disney-makes-it-official-that-boba-fett-survived-the-sarlacc-in-return-of-the-jedi.html
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

RubySlippers

Maybe the Sith behind the scenes is a Force Specter there is a precedent see Empire trikes Back and Return of the Jedi when Ob-wan came back as a ghost. So the Emperor could be around or something promoting its foul mission or trying to return.

CaptainNexus616

Quote from: SapphireStar on October 25, 2015, 11:29:29 AM
According to several sites, Andy Serkiss is playing Supreme Leader Snoke who is Kylo Ren's master and a powerful figure of the dark side. Another article cited that Mark Hamill apparently petioned to have Luke Skywalker be evil. Think it was mentioned Luke is in self-imposed exile on Dagobah?

You know I think Mark Hamill just prefers playing bad guys now. He really didn't find that much work outside Star Wars other than Voice Acting and became known as the iconic Joker voice. He's gone on to play more evil bad guy voice roles too since then.

Guess Luke really did go to the Dark Side at heart  :'(

CaptainNexus616

Took me forever to find this after the talk concerning lightsabers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=kgSylgBFi-I

and here is something epic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=faQO57Iwlo0