Dresden Files tabletop RPG. Opinions?

Started by Blythe, June 03, 2013, 05:32:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blythe

So I'm perusing it. It uses (or is based on?) the FATE system, a system I'm somewhat unfamiliar with. But I'm a huge Dresden files junkie, and I really like the light and more playful air of the tabletop sourcebooks. Evil Hat productions were the ones who whipped it up, and they've done some other games I've quite liked.

I was wondering what any others here on E thought about this particular tabletop RPG. What's good about it? What's bad? Anything you'd change or add if you could?

Pumpkin Seeds

I’ve played the system before with tabletop and also enjoy the books.  If you enjoy that style of play then the RPG is a great fit.  Characters are kind of kept low power in terms of what they can do, but can gain a great deal of power if setting about investigation and creative use of the rules.  Aspects is really a simple concept to understand but exceedingly difficult to master.  That really is the cornerstone of the game is learning to discover, use and defend aspects on characters. 

I do think the system could use a better setup for fighting lackeys though.  There seems to be a very generic difficult villain type to defeat, but I don’t see a good many “trash” characters to wet the whistle of more combat driven games.  The games are very much about creativity, investigation and thinking over brute force.  Least in my opinion.

Chris Brady

I've read the book, but I don't know much about the setting, the game book is well written, and full of humour, which I'm assuming is true to the characters.

However, in play, it's more complicated than it seems on the surface for someone who had never played Fate.
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

HairyHeretic

Its a good system. I've played a campaign of it, with a trio of rotating GMs. We've also run at least one system game of it here (well, an adventure's worth at least). If you like the novels, you ought to enjoy the feel of the game.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.