[LF1M] Funnel World -- gritty, dangerous adventures (Monstergirls?)

Started by nonniemouse, March 29, 2017, 09:59:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nonniemouse

= Currently Recruiting! =

What is Funnel World?

Funnel World is a supplement for Dungeon World, a "Powered by the Apocalypse" game that provides a rules light variation of the D&D dungeon crawl experience.  In Dungeon World, you play as heroes fighting the good fight and delving into dark and forgotten dungeons in search of treasure.  In Funnel World, those asshat heroes have left for fame and fortune, leaving you and your fellow commoners to fend for yourself against monsters beyond your ken.  Perhaps you are the one who will survive this trial by fire, and emerge as the next triumphant hero.

More likely, you will die.

Why Funnel World?

I'm looking to run a "more lethal" tabletop RPG, where players might revel in both the glory of victory, as well as the mayhem of defeat!  Neither Funnel World nor I are kidding about the lethality of the system.  In fact, you will be required to create several characters, because you'll probably lose them faster than loose change in a party full of Chaotic Neutral halfling rogues.

I'm also looking to exercise my GMing skills with a PbtA system.  I have grander plans for games in the future, and this seems like a good way to try out play-by-post group games.

Lethality?  Or Bad Ends?

I'm leaning toward actual gritty lethality with a dash of sexiness to them, rather than the "pit of tentacles" bad ends.  More Game of Thrones, than Call of Kinkthulu.  However, I will respect individual player limits when it comes to violent descriptions.

Monstergirls?

The dungeon will likely feature monstergirls of some sort, none of whom will be of particularly pleasant disposition.  I'm very much into writing scenes that feature M/F combat, and so the enemies in the game will likely counterbalance the gender ratio of the player characters.

Character Generation?

Funnel World includes a character generation process, with a randomized table for "occupations".  If you have a particular background in mind, I can make allowances for that too.  Though few of the player characters will be more powerful than, say, a poorly equipped peasant militia.  You may choose the gender of your character.

Interested?

Comment below and let me know!  As this is only an interest check, I don't have a firm setting in mind, and will make a more elaborate recruitment post if enough people are interested!  If you have questions or suggestions, I'd be happy to entertain them here, or via PMs.  This is a short term game, roughly equivalent to "one adventure".

Game Status

We have three players on board, so the game is set to start!  I would welcome 1 or 2 additional players too.

Interested Players

• wander (Confirmed)
  • Sally Aces (Confirmed)

Edit: When I turned this brief interest check to a recruitment thread, I forgot to add more details about the game.  Please read them here:

Additional Game Details

Game:

• Section the Game will be placed in and whether it is a system game or not.
    Rated Ex for blood and violence (likely gore as well)
  • Who is the RP open to? (Gender, Sexuality, etc..?)
    Male and females only please.  Any sexuality welcome.  Currently looking for more male characters in particular.
  • How much sexual activity is likely to occur or expected, if any?
    The GM will not be providing any of the usual con/noncon sexual content. I also don't have interest in softer variations of 'bad ends' (mind control, draining, soft vore, paralysis/captive play, etc)
Game Master Info / GM(s) Participation Level

• How guided will the play be(sandbox, directed etc)?
    The game will be presented as a one-shot adventure, so play will be fairly directed.  But creativity is encouraged!
  • What extent will players be allowed to create/use environment or setting details?
    Highly encouraged.  See Dungeon World moves.
  • How active will the GM be?
    I will be handling NPC interactions.  Each player will be playing 2-4 characters at a time, and should feel free to interact with each other.  They may also introduce additional town NPCs as well.
  • Will there be an OOC thread? (expectations of thread usage)
    Yes.
  • How to contact/approach GM with questions?
    Either use the OOC thread or PM.
  • How will decisions be resolved?
    Dungeon World moves are triggered by a character attempting to undertake a certain action.  When you make a post, you may add a comment that tells me you would like to use a move available to the character; for expedience, if the move offers a number of choices contingent on the roll, please select them ahead of time.  If I rule that the move applies, I will make the roll for you, and narrate the resolution.  If you trigger a move that prompts a roll, I may ask you to roll (which allows for some degree of negotiation via PM or OOC thread), or roll for you (in the case of an unavoidable "hard move"), and then prompt a choice if applicable.  Please do not roll without having been prompted.  It breaks some of Dungeon World's systems, and may force me to come up with an undesirable outcome even if a roll was not needed in the first place.
  • Will PvP be allowed (if applicable)?
    No.  DW does not handle PVP very well, and the adventure will be lethal enough as it is.  Please resolve conflicts through the OOC thread, and narrate the result accordingly.
Additional:

• The usual note to the Oath of Drake.
  • Player Participation Expectations
    I am anticipating a post every 24 to 36 hours.  DW does not have a strict turn order, so there is no need to wait for all players to act.  Since we are playing in a higher lethality game, I will interpret delayed posting as an opportunity to make GM moves (i.e make the situation worse).  If you know you will be inactive for a time, let us know and we can make alternate arrangements.
  • Additional Characters
    Players may join the game once it is in progress.  They will join up with the party at a convenient time (late reinforcements, messengers bringing bad news, or liberated prisoners).  If you lose all of your characters, you may roll up one last-chancer character and make use of this feature.
  • What Writing style/POV.
    Third person present.
"Plunging into the guts of a large animal isn't anything at all like eating.  It's about the feeling, you see, it's sensual--"
"So, it's less like eating, and more like sex."

Robyn Hood

AndyZ

I don't know Funnel World but I absolutely love Dungeon World.  I'll keep an eye on this.
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Ons/Offs   -  My schedule and A/As   -    My Avatars

If I've owed you a post for at least a week, poke me.

wander

Ditto, I've only heard of it though I'm a big Dungeon World player and GM, so I can guess roughly how things will play out.

Would love to play, long as not having the system isn't a thing (though I do own Dungeon World).

Sally Aces

I'm new to the system, but interested. Love GoT and the danger level is an interesting twist

nonniemouse

Glad to here there's interest brewing on this concept!  For those who haven't played Dungeon World, it's a very simple to learn system.  Almost all rolls boil down to rolling 2d6+Stat, with a 10+ being a full success and getting you what you want, and a 7-9 score being a partial success that comes at a price.  A 6- is a failure, which invites complications and repercussions from the GM.

Funnel World is a supplement to DW that further simplifies the rules.  Because you'll be playing commoners, none of you will have class specific moves and will using the same playbook.  Your occupation becomes quite important, as you will gain a bonus to your roll if you are able justify why your occupation gives you an edge.

If you don't have them, I can make either or both of these PDFs available via PM.  For now, what sorts of fantasy trappings interest the group most?
"Plunging into the guts of a large animal isn't anything at all like eating.  It's about the feeling, you see, it's sensual--"

Sally Aces

I'd love to see the PDFs.

As for Fantasy elements, I love magic. I get I'll be a commoner but I'd love to play someone with dreams of becoming powerful.

What occupations are available? I'd love to play a 'typical' tavern wench (with a shady past)

nonniemouse

I believe "Aleswife" is actually one of the occupations!  You could probably play the entire tavern staff!

I'll send out the PDFs later today.

Sally Aces

Is there a number of characters you want us to roll up? I'm eager to see what I end up with.

AndyZ

Hate to say it, but after reading through the Funnel World, I'm totally blanking on ideas.  It's very different from what I expected, and I've already got a concept which would have been good for this except I'm already playing it in another game and don't really want two.

Sorry.
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Ons/Offs   -  My schedule and A/As   -    My Avatars

If I've owed you a post for at least a week, poke me.

nonniemouse

I'm thinking around 2-3 characters per player.  It depends on how many players we get.  I am thinking around 8-10 characters for the full party.

Sally Aces

The trick in Funnel World is not to have a preconceived concept, just roll everything and let the chips fall where they may.

I'll roll up 2 characters as a test, reserving the 3rd if we need it.

Also, are we using Luck?

nonniemouse

If players have certain concepts they want to roll with, I'm happy to entertain them.  But yeah, part of the fun is rolling up the characters.

We will be using Luck, so you can roll for that too.  But I want to get an idea of who is onboard for the game before going too far ahead with this.

wander

I've just downloaded the Funnel World pdf, will read and have characters sorted over the weekend. :)

I am onboard so far! I love Dungeon World, so this should be my bag too. ^^

I like the concept as it reminds me a little of Only War, the Imperial Guardsman 40K rpg (now out of print), where you'd make a character and have 2 npcs to control, which would effectively be your PC's meat-shields when things go invariably south! ^^;

I prefer Low fantasy/Sword and Sorcery myself... Though I also really love Dying Earth (veers into Science Fantasy) stuff, so I guess something 'Dungeon Punk' in the more low fantasy vein would be cool for me personally.

nonniemouse

Great.  I've added you to the confirmed list.  Looking for confirmation from Sally and we'll be set.  I'm happy to have 1-2 more players join up on top of that too.

I'm familiar with Only War.  I hadn't drawn the parallel before, but it makes sense here!  I'm happy to allow for more military oriented backgrounds and flavors for the PCs, though they won't have any mechanical benefits.

I tend to prefer Low Fantasy settings as well, so the vibe I'll be shooting for will be closer to Season 1 of Game of Thrones.  Humanity (and certainly the villagers' lives) are fairly mundane, with some rare, notable and legendary exceptions.  At the same time, there are certainly malefic supernatural forces at work as well.

Sally Aces

Oh, I'm definitely in :) sorry if that wasn't clear.

Rolled up my first character and ended up with a slightly unlucky Pilgrimess named Andsware. 8p If she lives, she may become a cleric

wander

I'll look into characters by tomorrow sometime. :)

I enjoy games where part of the fun is seeing how long characters last and how they get wrecked, I was a big Call of Cthulhu player once.  ;D

nonniemouse

Great!  I think this game is a "go then.  The first order of business would be to generate the village together.  We'll be using the steps outlined in Funnel World, P. 17.  Basically, we'll all take turns filling in a single detail about the village.  The PDF has a list to pick from, but feel free to use it as inspiration to come up with you own!  Simply copy and paste the following stat block from the previous post, and replace one of the blanks with your selection.  Each item we add will flavor the game a certain way, so this is your chance to nudge the game in a particular direction.  Just like Dungeon World, there won't be a strict turn order; simply wait for a few other people have posted before picking the next item.

Village: __(Name)__

Prosperity: Poor
Population: Steady
Defenses: Militia
Resource: ________ (See DW P. 210)
Additional Tag: ________ (See DW P. 210)

Problem: ________

Major Buildings, Landmarks, Terrain Features:
1. ________
2. ________
3. ________
4. ________
5. ________

Inspirational Picture:
1. ________
2. ________

Sally Aces

Villager 1: Andsware the Pilgrim

[img height=200 PADDING=10]http://oi63.tinypic.com/fm846q.jpg[/img]
9 (+0) Str
15 (+1) Dex
14 (+1) Con
11 (+0) Int
13 (+1) Wis
13 (+1) Cha
  8 (-1) Luck

4 HP (Con/4)
4 Load

Damage Dice: 1d4

Occupation (1d100: 73): Pilgrim
   Items - Staff (close, 2-handed,1 wt), holy symbol (0 wt)

Gender (1d6: 5): female

Name (1d100: 9): Andsware

Traits
    Physical (1d100: 98): Wheezy
    Personality (1d100: 78): Proud

Bond (1d20: 2, 3)
TBD insulted me by insulting my mother

Villager 2: Gimm the Crofter

[img height=200 PADDING=10]http://oi66.tinypic.com/11b10ro.jpg[/img][/FLOATRIGHT]
11 (+0) Str (3d6)
13 (+1) Dex (3d6)
  9 (-1) Con (3d6)
  8 (-1) Int (3d6)
13 (+1) Wis (3d6)
  5 (-2) Cha (3d6)

16 (+2) Luck (3d6)

3 HP (Con/4)
4 Load

Occupation (1d100: 27): Crofter
   Items: Pitchfork (close, reach, 1 wt), bushel of crops (4 rations, 2 wt, turnips)

Gender (1d6: 1): Male

Name (1d100: 58): Gimm

Traits
    Physical (1d100: 39): Lanky
    Personality (1d100: 83) Sadistic

Bond (1d20: 9): I respect X for their discipline.

Villager 3: Elva the Fisherperson

[img height=200 PADDING=10]http://oi66.tinypic.com/2wef8yd.jpg[/img]
13 (+1) Str (3d6)
15 (+1) Dex (3d6)
12 (+1) Con (3d6)
  5 (-2) Int (3d6)
11 (+0) Wis (3d6)
  6 (-2) Cha (3d6)

7 (-1) Luck (3d6)

3 HP (Con/4)
5 Load (+4 to Str bonus)

Occupation (1d100: 43): Fisherperson
   Items: Knife (hand, 0 wt), fishing net (reach, thrown)

Gender (1d6: 4): Female

Name (1d100: 59): Elva

Traits
    Physical (1d100: 5): Big Hands
    Personality (1d100: 57): Loyal

Bond (1d20: 8, 2): I saved X from drink.

Additional Tag (See DW P. 210): The village was built on a site of religious significance (Divine)

1. ________
2. ________
3. ________
4. ________
5. ________

Inspirational Picture:
1. ________
2. ________

wander

All Three of my Villagers are rolled up, showed my work in spoilers below.  :-)

I'll do proper bios when needed.

Villager 1; Aethelthryth the Weaver.

Roll Result: wander rolled: 18d6
Comment: villager stats
Result: 5, 5, 3, 1, 5, 5, 4, 3, 3, 3, 3, 4, 6, 4, 4, 5, 2, 1,

Str 13 (+1), Dex 11 (+0), Con 10 (+0), Int 10 (+0), Wis 14 (+1), Cha 8 (-1)

Luck;
Roll Result: wander rolled: 3d6
Comment: luck
Result: 6, 6, 1,
Total: 13 (+1)

Hit Points = 3HP.
Load = 5

Occupation;
Roll Result: wander rolled: 1d100
Comment: occupation
Result: 97

(Weaver, carrying 1d4 bolts of fabric, 1 weight each).
Roll Result: wander rolled: 1d4
Comment: fabric for the weaver
Result: 2.

Gender;
Roll Result: wander rolled: 1d6
Comment: gender
Result: 6 (Female)

Name;
Comment: name
Result: 6

Traits (Physical and Personality);
Comment: physical trait
Result: 62
(Persistent Cough)

Comment: personality trait
Result: 33
(Egocentric)

Villager 2; Waelfwulf the Goatherd

Comment: attributes
Result: 3, 6, 4, 1, 4, 4, 5, 1, 2, 6, 3, 5, 2, 4, 6, 1, 1, 3

Str 13 (+1), Dex 9 (+0), Con 8 (-1), Int 14 (+1), Wis 12 (+0), Cha 5 (-2)

Luck;
Result: 1, 5, 1,
Total: 7 (-1).

HP = 2HP.
Load = 5.

Occupation;
Result: 50

(Goatherd with Crook (awkward, reach, 1 weight) + 1d4 Goats.
Roll Result: wander rolled: 1d4
Comment: goats
Result: 1 Goat.

Gender;
Result: 3
(Male)

Name;
Result: 97
(Waelfwulf)

Traits;
Result: 43
(Large Nose)

Result: 11
(Coarse)

Villager 3; Alwin the Watchman.

Attributes;
Comment: attributes
Result: 1, 2, 3, 6, 6, 6, 2, 3, 4, 3, 1, 4, 5, 4, 2, 6, 3, 2

Str 6 (-1), Dex 18! (+3), Con 9 (+0), Int 8 (-1), Wis 11 (+0), Cha 11 (+0).

Luck;
Result: 5, 6, 4,
Total: 15 (+1).

HP= 3HP.
Load= 3.

Occupation;
Result: 95

Watchman; Spear (reach, thrown, 1 weight), helmet (worn, 0 weight), lantern, flask of oil, flint and steel, horn.

Gender;
Result: 1
(Male)

Name;
Result: 13
(Alwin)

Traits;
Result: 1
(Bald)

Result: 13
(Conceited)

Additional Tag (See DW P. 210): The village was built on a site of religious significance (Divine)

1. ________
2. ________
3. ________
4. ________
5. ________

Inspirational Picture:
1. http://pre14.deviantart.net/0f52/th/pre/f/2015/230/3/2/european_medieval_village_by_klauspillon-d9667s2.jpg
2. ________

nonniemouse

Let's keep the ball rolling since Robyn seems to be away!  Please allow me to channel some unprovoked GM malevolence into the town name.

Marrose's Rest (Demonym: Marrosean)

Additional Tag : Divine -- The village was built on a site of religious significance

1. ________
2. ________
3. ________
4. ________
5. ________

Inspirational Pictures:
1. http://pre14.deviantart.net/0f52/th/pre/f/2015/230/3/2/european_medieval_village_by_klauspillon-d9667s2.jpg
2. ________

wander

Just to say still around and still interested.  :-)

I'll wait for someone else to add to the village as I did it last time. ^^

Faeli

As has already been said, I heart dungeon world so I am TOTALLY game ^_^

Faeli

Villager 1; Elvira the Undertaker.

Roll Result: Faeli rolled: 18d6
Comment: villager stats
Result: 5, 1, 1, 4, 1, 4, 6, 1, 3, 1, 4, 5, 2, 2, 3, 4, 6, 1 (At 2017-04-04 06:16:20, Faeli (uid: 49010) rolls: 18d6 Result: 54)

7, 9 10, 10, 7, 11

Str 10 (+0), Dex 7 (-1), Con 10 (+0), Int 7 (-1), Wis 11 (+0), Cha 9 (+0)

Luck;
Roll Result: Faeli rolled: 3d6
Result: 6, 5, 5,
Total: 16 (+1)

Hit Points = 3HP.
Load = 5

Occupation;
Roll Result: Faeli rolled: 1d100
Result: 93

(Undertaker, carrying Holy symbol (0 wt), coffin (4 wt)).

Gender;  Female (not rolling this one :P)

Name:
Result:  60

Result: 73, 51

Result: 73
(Scowly)

Result: 51
(Honorable)
(I will make the other two tomorrow.  Sweepy.)

Robyn Hood

I'm still interested, I play DW (with Faeli *waves*!) but I had a couple of questions I sent you, nonniemouse. I'll throw up some characters if you are okay with all that. ^_^