Google Talk ID in forum profile?

Started by Denivar, September 15, 2012, 03:11:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Denivar

I was wondering, is there a reason people can't specify their Google Talk ID in their forum profile?

Google Talk is a very nice system for IMing -- it can be done from within a web browser, with a (IMHO) much nicer interface than Yahoo, and can easily be encrypted (a nice thing if you wanted to, say, chat from work from time to time. ;) ). Google also generally has a better record on protecting user privacy than some other IM providers.
"If you go to see the woman, do not forget the whip." -- Friedrich Nietzsche

Ons and Offs -- Roleplay Ideas -- Apologies, Absences, Excuses, that sort of thing

jouzinka

Quote from: KneelToTheWhip on September 15, 2012, 03:11:48 AMI was wondering, is there a reason people can't specify their Google Talk ID in their forum profile?
Maybe there is another reason that Vekseid will shed some light on, but *if* I gather things correctly, it's the combination of SMF (the current forum engine - Simple Machines Forum) being *old*, much older than Google talk, and the fact that at a certain point the Deities here (including Veks) reached a decision that rather than trying to patch up and customise this engine, we will write our own, which Vekseid is currently working on. Originally Google Talk was not included because it wasn't yet available and later nobody corrected it, because there wasn't a demand, I assume.

If you think it should be featured in the new engine, you can suggest it in the On Topic board, the New CMS: Feature Request Thread here: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=128093.0 ;)
Story status: Not Available
Life Status: Just keep swimming...
Working on: N/A