FFG Star Wars Sith Campaign

Started by Conundrum, August 24, 2018, 05:53:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Conundrum

It was 20,000 years after the founding of The Republic they came again, the Sith Empire returned from Unknown Space with their vast fleet and armies bent on conquest and power.  The Republic resisted as they always have, their foundries spun up and their armies were raised they clashed with the Sith on front after front intent on holding the line.  The initial great success of the Sith forces only caused their greed to grow, the line of battle for both forces grew long and time after time the Sith broke through swallowing entire system before the Republic could redeploy.  In success after success the Sith attempted to exploit their breakthroughs to make their last dash to the core worlds but each time they tried there were worlds fortified and waiting for them, fleets moving to intercept them, and Jedi standing to oppose them.  For 40 years the war ground on, the Sith had taken many resource rich worlds in the Expansion Region and even into the Inner Rim but could never breach the Core Worlds and the Republic's industrial heartland. As losses grew heavy the Sith found themselves relying ever further on droids to even hold the line while the population dense core worlds provided ever more armies to the Republic.

So it was, 41 years after the war began, the Sith Empire launched their raid on Coruscant, their goal was to destroy the Jedi Temple and make the Republic realize they were safe no more.  It has gone in history as one of the greatest military blunders to ever be performed. Fifteen Sith War Fleets were intercepted by twenty-five Republic Battle Groups in the skies of Coruscant. At the same time Revanites began making their move in the Sith Empire attempting to seize control and had leaked some plans to the New Republic.  Hundreds of Sith and Jedi died in a day, thousands more men and women on each side perished as the skies of the Republic's capitol were lanced with fire. The Sith warships exchanged better the even against the prepared Republic but they could not win as the Republic pressed in on them and cut them apart.  Few Sith ships escaped the battle and fewer still Sith Warriors on the grounds escaped the fortified Jedi Temple even as the entirety of the Jedi Council died in it's defense.

The victory was costly but overwhelmingly in the Republic's favor. So great was their victory they changed their calendar from the bulky founding of The Republic to the Battle of Coruscant.  In 1 ABC the Sith Empire died a slow death from within and without. While the Sith Empire forces failed in their raid on Coruscant the Revanites failed to take control of the Empire and were broken just as badly at the hands of Imperial Intelligence agents.  The Republic spent over a year crushing the main centers of resistance of the Sith while they made a disorganized retreat into the Unknown Regions. Millions of Sith soldiers and their allies were left behind, rounded up and captured or going to ground to escape the Republic's grasp.  The Republic spent little mercy on the Sith this time, devastating Korriban in a brutal assault that left few prisoners taken.  Merchants, traders, corporations who were deemed to have dealt too closely with the Sith without being sufficiently coerced were viewed as complicit in the Sith Empire's actions and broken up, had assets seized, or even arrested in some cases.  Not even the Bounty Hunter's Guild was free from Republic retribution as bounty hunters who took Sith Empire contracts were rounded up for trials with Guild complaints silenced at gun point.

It seems almost nowhere is safe from the Republic's vengeful hand, of course you already know this, you were there.

-----------------------------------------------------------

This will be a Star Wars campaign using the FFG rules, I am allowing characters from any of the 3 series and refluffing is naturally fine. You will be playing as former Sith Empire members or people deemed to have dealt too close or too freely with the Sith and are now on the wanted list of the Republic even as the mop up the last of the Sith holdouts within their reach.

This will also be a knight level game, knight level means that you get an extra 150 exp that cannot be spent on characteristics, skills cannot be raised above 3, and you can have an extra 9,000 credits in gear or a basic lightsaber.

The point of divergence for this is during the Sith infighting prior to their invasion of the Republic which acted as the setting for The Old Republic game. So this RP would basically take place during the TOR game in the normal timeline. Ships and some things are obviously meant for Rebellion era play so refluffing and renaming will be common.  I am also open to homebrew but you will need to run it by me first for approval.  Just about any books should be fine but let me know which ones you will be using so I know what to reference.

I am also new to E and how things work here so if I have made any mistakes just let me know.
If I have not responded to a post in 4 days, send me a PM as I may have missed it.

PixelatedPixie

I might be interested, though I am not sure as what.  The Pirate from Dawn of Rebellion is calling to me, though I am not sure what I could fit with it. 

Pumpkin Seeds

Oh please sign me up.   Working on the idea of a Sith Assassin Ataru Striker / Executioner.

Angie

Gah, I keep coming back and looking at this thread. I don't know if I have the time or energy for a game like this but boy do I want it...put me down as tentative.
Avatar is by Lemonfont. Will remove it if he asks me to.

Come check the Cyberpunk Images Thread!

Pumpkin Seeds

Should be able to post up the character by Tuesday.   In the middle of moving and doing a work stretch.

Conundrum

Quote from: PerpetuallyAnnoyedCleric on August 24, 2018, 07:58:53 PM
I might be interested, though I am not sure as what.  The Pirate from Dawn of Rebellion is calling to me, though I am not sure what I could fit with it. 

Are your problems more of a mechanic or narrative nature?

Quote from: Angie on August 25, 2018, 12:55:42 AM
Gah, I keep coming back and looking at this thread. I don't know if I have the time or energy for a game like this but boy do I want it...put me down as tentative.

Alright, I hope you find the time to play but understand if you have too much on your plate already.  As I have it planned it should be relatively easy to slot in if your schedule opens up.

Quote from: Pumpkin Seeds on August 25, 2018, 07:57:44 PM
Should be able to post up the character by Tuesday.   In the middle of moving and doing a work stretch.

No problem and no rush, I understand.
If I have not responded to a post in 4 days, send me a PM as I may have missed it.

Angie

Thinking of going Mirialan Warrior. Have a story in mind already for them.

Angie

Apologies for the double post but if we take a lightsaber, are we also expected to having it be the classic Sith red, or can we swap that crystal out with a good enough story?

Conundrum

Quote from: Angie on August 26, 2018, 02:25:27 AM
Apologies for the double post but if we take a lightsaber, are we also expected to having it be the classic Sith red, or can we swap that crystal out with a good enough story?
You can have any color lightsaber for any reason you want.
Maybe the only color I would veto is black.

Angie

Alright, here we go.

Povo Kifio

"Strength through Unity and Balance"

Povo was born on Mirial, as most of his kind tend to be, but unlike most of his kind, he always dreamed of the stars. He dreamed of himself performing great deeds among alien species, perhaps visions granted to him by the Force, showing him a noble and heroic path. He trained as a warrior, but did not neglect his education, as the Mirialan belief in Unity also extends to a personal level-only when mind and body are in union can one fight with their true potential. His rapid advancement earned him a few honorable markings, but his heart always belonged to the great black expanse he longingly gazed up to at night. As soon as he could, he became a Sojourner and took off to the great unknown...

Soon after, the ship he was on was attacked by the Sith Empire, as the ship also carried a woman important to the Republic. He fought hard, battling Sith trainees with nothing but an emergency knife. He could not save the woman, but his raw potential impressed the leader of the attack, who took the young Mirialan under his wing. From there, the boy became a man, learning lightsaber techniques, and how to deepen his connection to the Unity-which he came to learn was known as the Force. The brutal training methods conditioned his body, to the point where no other trainee could lay a hand on him.

Soon, it reached a point where he might challenge his Master for dominance. However, the meditative Vigil a Mirialan performs does not combine well with certain Sith ideals. As he reflected, he came to an understanding: That the Sith decision to leave the weak to die (or even kill them outright), and the Jedi decision to shelter the weak, were both wrong. Instead, he believed, the Sith, and perhaps the Jedi as well, should dedicate themselves to uplifting the weak, and making even the smallest and slowest members of their ranks a strong and capable being.

With this revelation in mind, he knew he could not challenge his Master. If he did, it would be expected that one would die. If he refused to kill the Master, the others would set upon him until they both were dead. So he chose a third option: He left. He took his training lightsaber and found passage off world. From there, he continued his journey on his own, eventually returning to Mirial. Once home again, he felt a familiar calling, but instead of calling him to the stars, it called him deeper underground.

In a dark cave, he found himself-twice. Two visions of himself stood before him, one in the soft robes of the Jedi, the other in the powerful armor of the Sith. The three of them debated for what felt like hours, with the real Povo struggling against the duel philosophies of Jedi and Sith, until finally, he walked between the middle of them. "You choose a destructive road to your own twilight?" The Sith Povo asked.

"No." He replied. "I choose the road of balance, a way to the dawn."

The visions faded, and he found himself in a chamber full of powerful crystals. Guided by instinct, he took what he needed, and left. As soon as he did, he turned around to find the cave entrance was a rock wall, leading him to wonder if it had ever truly been there. Regardless, in a week's worth of time, he had a newly rebuilt lightsaber with a blue blade and new markings to represent the success of his own personal trials.

From there, he returned to the stars, following his new path. He walked the dual road of warrior and protector, adhering to a new philosophy of training others and teaching them to overcome their own obstacles, rather than solving their problems for them. Of course, doing this attracts a share of enemies-crime lords, bounty hunters, military...both Republic and Sith seem convinced that he belongs to the other side.

With the Sith in sharp decline, and the Republic on an unceasing hunt to destroy all remnants of the Sith, Povo has needed to disappear. Perhaps this current situation is a chance for him to grow more and impart his philosophy to new and interesting people, or perhaps fate (or the Force) is punishing him for his actions-Mirialans love to challenge their own fate and overcome obstacles, but what of a Mirialan who influences the fate of others by teaching them how to overcome their challenges? He does not know, all he knows is that there's a lot more blasters pointed at him, and in an effort to survive, he might be a bit more willing to rub shoulders with some more unsavory types...

https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1681803

(I took the character creation option of +5 XP and +1,000 credits, as it seems like you get that before the Knight level bonus, and then took a lightsaber as my knight bonus)

Conundrum

Quote from: Angie on August 26, 2018, 12:37:29 PM
Alright, here we go.

Povo Kifio

"Strength through Unity and Balance"

Povo was born on Mirial, as most of his kind tend to be, but unlike most of his kind, he always dreamed of the stars. He dreamed of himself performing great deeds among alien species, perhaps visions granted to him by the Force, showing him a noble and heroic path. He trained as a warrior, but did not neglect his education, as the Mirialan belief in Unity also extends to a personal level-only when mind and body are in union can one fight with their true potential. His rapid advancement earned him a few honorable markings, but his heart always belonged to the great black expanse he longingly gazed up to at night. As soon as he could, he became a Sojourner and took off to the great unknown...

Soon after, the ship he was on was attacked by the Sith Empire, as the ship also carried a woman important to the Republic. He fought hard, battling Sith trainees with nothing but an emergency knife. He could not save the woman, but his raw potential impressed the leader of the attack, who took the young Mirialan under his wing. From there, the boy became a man, learning lightsaber techniques, and how to deepen his connection to the Unity-which he came to learn was known as the Force. The brutal training methods conditioned his body, to the point where no other trainee could lay a hand on him.

Soon, it reached a point where he might challenge his Master for dominance. However, the meditative Vigil a Mirialan performs does not combine well with certain Sith ideals. As he reflected, he came to an understanding: That the Sith decision to leave the weak to die (or even kill them outright), and the Jedi decision to shelter the weak, were both wrong. Instead, he believed, the Sith, and perhaps the Jedi as well, should dedicate themselves to uplifting the weak, and making even the smallest and slowest members of their ranks a strong and capable being.

With this revelation in mind, he knew he could not challenge his Master. If he did, it would be expected that one would die. If he refused to kill the Master, the others would set upon him until they both were dead. So he chose a third option: He left. He took his training lightsaber and found passage off world. From there, he continued his journey on his own, eventually returning to Mirial. Once home again, he felt a familiar calling, but instead of calling him to the stars, it called him deeper underground.

In a dark cave, he found himself-twice. Two visions of himself stood before him, one in the soft robes of the Jedi, the other in the powerful armor of the Sith. The three of them debated for what felt like hours, with the real Povo struggling against the duel philosophies of Jedi and Sith, until finally, he walked between the middle of them. "You choose a destructive road to your own twilight?" The Sith Povo asked.

"No." He replied. "I choose the road of balance, a way to the dawn."

The visions faded, and he found himself in a chamber full of powerful crystals. Guided by instinct, he took what he needed, and left. As soon as he did, he turned around to find the cave entrance was a rock wall, leading him to wonder if it had ever truly been there. Regardless, in a week's worth of time, he had a newly rebuilt lightsaber with a blue blade and new markings to represent the success of his own personal trials.

From there, he returned to the stars, following his new path. He walked the dual road of warrior and protector, adhering to a new philosophy of training others and teaching them to overcome their own obstacles, rather than solving their problems for them. Of course, doing this attracts a share of enemies-crime lords, bounty hunters, military...both Republic and Sith seem convinced that he belongs to the other side.

With the Sith in sharp decline, and the Republic on an unceasing hunt to destroy all remnants of the Sith, Povo has needed to disappear. Perhaps this current situation is a chance for him to grow more and impart his philosophy to new and interesting people, or perhaps fate (or the Force) is punishing him for his actions-Mirialans love to challenge their own fate and overcome obstacles, but what of a Mirialan who influences the fate of others by teaching them how to overcome their challenges? He does not know, all he knows is that there's a lot more blasters pointed at him, and in an effort to survive, he might be a bit more willing to rub shoulders with some more unsavory types...

https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1681803

(I took the character creation option of +5 XP and +1,000 credits, as it seems like you get that before the Knight level bonus, and then took a lightsaber as my knight bonus)

I should be able to look through mechnics like wednesday or thursday.  Narratively you are good to go.  The current crop of Jedi have grown up and been trained during wartime so are more militant than their predecessors and the Ruusan Reformation has not happened yet.  As a result you can expect a pretty strong, "with us or against us," mentality from many Jedi knights and even some masters.

Angie

Quote from: Conundrum on August 26, 2018, 08:16:01 PM
I should be able to look through mechnics like wednesday or thursday.  Narratively you are good to go.  The current crop of Jedi have grown up and been trained during wartime so are more militant than their predecessors and the Ruusan Reformation has not happened yet.  As a result you can expect a pretty strong, "with us or against us," mentality from many Jedi knights and even some masters.

And since he already kinda rejects both...I'm not totally married to him being male, by the way. Gender shifts can happen, if wanted.

EDIT: Also thanks for the stamp of approval on backstory. I wanted to go more not exactly "nice Sith" but more "one can find a better way to express this ideal than ruthless murderin'." Felt at some points like I was going a little try-hard "Grey Jedi" or something but I'm glad it's good.

Conundrum

Quote from: Angie on August 26, 2018, 11:05:08 PM
And since he already kinda rejects both...I'm not totally married to him being male, by the way. Gender shifts can happen, if wanted.

EDIT: Also thanks for the stamp of approval on backstory. I wanted to go more not exactly "nice Sith" but more "one can find a better way to express this ideal than ruthless murderin'." Felt at some points like I was going a little try-hard "Grey Jedi" or something but I'm glad it's good.

I am generally fine with characters that are taking an abnormal approach to things as long as players understand the world may not react how their player would like.

Angie

Quote from: Conundrum on August 27, 2018, 05:25:21 PM
I am generally fine with characters that are taking an abnormal approach to things as long as players understand the world may not react how their player would like.

Well, that's what the lightsaber's for.

TheLaughingOne

in no shape to join a new game.... BUT! something to share with fellow star wars fans!

http://www.saberparts.com/#!/configure#%2Fconfigure%3Fcode=4.167.3.0-3.105.1.27-9.155.1.0-3.88.1.27-2.58.1.0-1.14.1.0

Ever want to make a U shaped double saber with Y prongs..? You can do it! ... You shouldnt, but you can!
My Ons and Offs!

You! On our wavelength! Carry our message, its heavy! Made of rocks!! Apocolypso dancing! SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY! You'll want to cut your wrists with the whole knife, but you'll only need the edge!

VonDoom

Love the premise, but sadly know nothing of FFG. Is it difficult to pick up? And does it handle the Force in a decent way? I've only tried d20 Star Wars before and that was... well, pretty lacking.
Now this is the Law of the Jungle-
as old and as true as the sky;
And the Wolf that shall keep it may  prosper,
but the Wolf that shall break it must die.

-Rudyard Kipling, "The Law of the Jungle"
O&O

Pumpkin Seeds

I think it handles the Force pretty well.   Should also be easy to pick up since it's the narrative Dice system.

Conundrum

Quote from: VonDoom on August 28, 2018, 03:19:09 AM
Love the premise, but sadly know nothing of FFG. Is it difficult to pick up? And does it handle the Force in a decent way? I've only tried d20 Star Wars before and that was... well, pretty lacking.

It is very easy to pick up with simple dice and difficulty systems.  The force works well for what it was designed for.  It is not your high tier jedi masters backflipping off a rock they are floating with their mind but more of untrained people just coming into their power or padawan hiding in the Outer Rim stuff.

Pumpkin Seeds

Sorry.   Taking awhile to get my computer back up and running.

Conundrum

No problem, I am plenty busy myself.

Pumpkin Seeds

I went with Human for her species and the name Malachar.  She will be an Executioner and Shadow.   Pretty much making her a ranged type.   She will,  I hope,  branch into the Ataru Striker given time.

PixelatedPixie

Is it force user only?  If not, are Obligation/Duty used or only Morality?

Conundrum

Quote from: PerpetuallyAnnoyedCleric on August 29, 2018, 12:13:52 PM
Is it force user only?  If not, are Obligation/Duty used or only Morality?

It is open to non-force users, unless the party goes full force user there will also be no particular emphasis on force users.

Miroque

Hmm... Knight level FFG...

Plot/Smut ratio? If 7/3, im in.,..

Conundrum

Quote from: Miroque on September 03, 2018, 04:07:02 PM
Hmm... Knight level FFG...

Plot/Smut ratio? If 7/3, im in.,..

Plot to smut ratio will be player dependent.