Interest check: Not Your Normal Harem Show Ver. 3.0

Started by Top Cat, April 04, 2017, 04:24:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Top Cat

A few years ago, I ran a freeform game based loosely on the concept of anime-based harem shows. Specifically, that one male character (usually clueless and indecisive) has a large number of female characters who are all interested in his attention. HERE is the original application thread.

Sadly, that game failed due to drop-outs, deliberate sabotage (by someone who is presently banned for other offenses), and my inexperience as an Elliquiy GameMaster.

I'd like to give it another try. For people who don't want to click the link above (much of which I'll be reusing for the Application thread, if/when we get enough people), here's the quick summary:

• My character is the Heir of a fantastically wealthy family. He was shuffled off to a private school when his mother died, when he was very young. He is utterly and completely ignorant of sex and sexuality. How he grows will depend entirely on how he is treated by the people around him (that is, the player characters).
  • The story starts with his father's death, and a requirement in his inheritance: He has to prove his ability to continue the Family Line within a year.
  • This is set in an anime-fantasy world where magic and technology both exist. Fantasy races also exist, and players are allowed (and encouraged) to make non-human characters. Elves, dwarves, catgirls, tiger-boys, demons, all sorts of monster girls and boys - if you can get along in an egalitarian mixed society, you're welcome and treated as an equal.
  • While part of the purpose of this game is for me to have a lot of interactions with female players/characters ;), that is not the sole point of the game. Male players/characters are welcomed; not everything revolves around the Heir, after all. Some women may not be interested in chasing the Heir; they might be more interested in getting busy with the Butler... or they might set their sights on some of the other girls in the chase.
  • As implied above, LGB is allowed. Trans-, on the other hand, does not fit in this world. If you can change your gender with an easy spell, why would you have the problems that real-world Trans people have? Note, however, that I have zero problems with someone making a character that enjoys switching gender and genitalia on a whim.
  • The game is intended to be light-hearted and fun; that does not mean that there won't be any drama or angst, just that these are not the focus of the story.
  • If you're unclear on what a "Harem Show" is, there's a lot of anime shows to check out. Tenchi Muyo, To Love-Ru, Love Hina, Negima, Ranma 1/2, Ai Yori Aoshi, I Couldn’t Become a Hero, So I Reluctantly Decided to Get a Job - there are literally hundreds of anime that use this as an excuse for a large number of characters, particularly female characters, and fanservice. The concept of Reverse Harem Shows also exist - Ouran Highschool Host Club and Yuri on Ice both fit into this.

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.

* I haven't actually watched Yuri on Ice, but I've been told that it's a reverse harem. If that's incorrect, well, gomen nasai...  ;)

Edit: Realized that this is actually the third go-round. One of them crashed and burned quickly, the other one nearly made it to the 1000 posts to be a Big Game.
O/O / Story Seeds
Current posting speed: Slow to moderate. Most threads should get a response within 24 hours, with occasional dips as RL makes demands.
If I am more than a week behind on a story post, please feel free to PM me about it.
I am present in Elliquiy's Discord channel. If you want to chat about a story idea, feel free to DM me there.

Lynnette

Hi again TC, been a while ^^ I might make a return if you'll have me :)
I'm available on Discord!
Feel free to message me if you want to chat
Lynnpai#4726

My O/O     My guide to set up a home server and Plex
My request thread

Top Cat

Absolutely, Lynnette. =^_^=

And yes, it's been a while. My writing runs hot-and-cold... I was off E for over a year. The original NYNHS game was three years ago!  ???
O/O / Story Seeds
Current posting speed: Slow to moderate. Most threads should get a response within 24 hours, with occasional dips as RL makes demands.
If I am more than a week behind on a story post, please feel free to PM me about it.
I am present in Elliquiy's Discord channel. If you want to chat about a story idea, feel free to DM me there.

LeSane

If you would have me I would love to join. I've matured quite a bit since the last time.
'Life is an unreasonable game in which winning was impossible from the start. Even so spread your wings and fly straight into the sun! If the world threatens to swallow you whole crush it under your heel.'

Top Cat

I appreciate your self-reflection. I don't think you were part of the cause of the game's failing, if that matters - but the character was a little off-theme. ;)
O/O / Story Seeds

Broken

I'd be interested in playing clean mean bodyguard to the throne.

Top Cat

We will certainly need some guards, but the Winterbilt family doesn't like using the term "throne" for Dad's seat*. It's not like he's nobility or a King - just filthy rich. ;)

* Unless you're talking about the water closet, of course.  :P
O/O / Story Seeds

Top Cat

O/O / Story Seeds

Moon Hound Hati

Hope there are no stock ninjas around this time to ruin the fun!  :P
Lingerie is like wrapping paper for the best present in the world     the female body.

LeSane

Woot stock ninja! Oh by the way I wanna throw my flag down at the Butler title.
'Life is an unreasonable game in which winning was impossible from the start. Even so spread your wings and fly straight into the sun! If the world threatens to swallow you whole crush it under your heel.'

Top Cat

Some insight for female characters:
QuoteFemale characters are generally expected to be more or less attractive, by any definition possible. Tall and thin, short and plushy, huge breasts, Itty-Bitty-Titty-Committee, whatever. It's your character, not one of a bunch of Stepford Bishojo. The creators of female characters CAN choose to have them know *Heir* from when they were pre-teen kids, before *Heir* was sent off to school. The creators of female characters can also choose to make it so that they're unacknowledged (and unknown, officially) half-siblings of *Heir* - Father liked to get around and play with ladies all over the place! Yes, even if you're a half-breed non-human race, this still applies. Father was kinky. But it's your decision to make, and if I end up having zero potential incest partners, I'll be absolutely fine with that.

And race for all characters:
QuoteCharacters can be human or almost any demihuman race you can imagine. That means that they must have two arms, two legs, a more-or-less normal (and cute/attractive) face, and so on. Wings, tails, etc. are fine. A small list of possible character races: elf, hobbit halfling, cat-girl (both the kind that look human with cat ears and tail, and the kind with fur), dog-girl (same), human-sized fairie, mermaid (if she has human legs while not in the water)... the list can go on and on. They can also be cute monster girls (or boys), typically explained as being a half-breed. Again, if I end up with all Human players, I'll be fine with that. Play what you want to play, not what you think I (or other players) think you should be. ALSO, monster-girls (or boys) can have a "monster-mode" if appropriate (such as a "werewolf" looking human most of the time, but going wolfy now and then).
O/O / Story Seeds

Top Cat

Which link? This is still at a "fishing for interest" stage - not ready to start actually opening it up as a full-on game yet. We need more people, and especially more ladies.
O/O / Story Seeds

Idlewyld

Oh. What I meant was that you mentioned a link in your first post. I see it now. Sorry about that.

Top Cat

O/O / Story Seeds

Inari

-Sneaks in-

Also Yuri on Ice is mxm.

Top Cat

O/O / Story Seeds

Inari

Yush but the main character is called Yuri. :o

*edit*

The manga/anime is about ice skating. Yeah... I know. >_>

Top Cat

*nod* I know. As I said, I haven't seen the show (or manga). Yuri is the main protagonist, and is surrounded by male skaters. The person (or was it an online review? I can't remember now) made it seem like Yuri was the center of the men's attention, and AFAICR even called it a harem show.

*shrug* Not really a big deal.

On a more important matter: I think I'm either going to be closing this, or looking to restructure it - fewer players, but with more characters per player. Can't work on that right now, though.
O/O / Story Seeds

Top Cat

Actually, considering the matter - most of the people who have shown an interest so far are returning people who were part of Ver. 2 (and possibly Ver. 1 for a few?). Would you rather try to revive V2, sort out who is present and who isn't, and pick up where we left off? Or would you all rather start fresh?
O/O / Story Seeds

Idlewyld

I'm more interested in starting fresh. I'm actually thinking of going with a new character, though if we're doing multiples, I might bring Mae back as well.

Rynn

Brand spanking new on the forums, but I certainly wouldn't mind throwing my name in for this if you'll have me.

Inari

I say we start v2 but give people a chance on whether or not they wish to have new characters to replace the old ones. Sooo say some of them get fired or something?

LeSane

My vote is a fresh start due to the fact if we do start from v2 then positions will already be taken, and if the person wanted to have some connection to either any character then they'd be stunted by explaining where they were or have numerous people say "I was hired no to long ago." That's how I feel anyway.