The Na'aruse Tyranny (Pathfinder, looking for up to 6 players)

Started by Angie, March 17, 2017, 02:19:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Angie

Defectors are a more recent development. Na'aruse soldiers were either unwilling or unable to go against their orders prior to the initial offensive. Na'aruse citizens unconnected to the military may have been in Saniki, or come to Saniki and chose to betray their home, but such a thing would require a good explanation.

So, to answer the question: No defectors before the invasion.
Avatar is by Lemonfont. Will remove it if he asks me to.

Come check the Cyberpunk Images Thread!

Marie Reynolds

Hmm, That might work Still may I pm you about my Idea for my character before I start putting  her together?

Angie

Vergil Tanner

Question:

With "Languages," is it possible for my character to take a made up language as one of his slots? I mean, I know that ALL the languages are technically made up, but is it possible for his Tribe to use a dialect similar to something like the Mongols and Dothraki as well, which isn't necessarily spoken by outsiders, but IS spoken by the other tribes? Just seems thematically appropriate. If I need to use a Language Slot or a Linguistics Rank to learn Common as well, that's no problem. :-)
Vergil's Faceclaim Archive; For All Your Character Model Seeking Needs!

Men in general judge more by the sense of sight than by that of touch, because everyone can see but few can test by feeling. Everyone sees what you seem to be, few know what you really are; and those few do not dare take a stand against the general opinion. Therefore it is unnecessary to have all the qualities I have enumerated, but it is very necessary to appear to have them. And I shall dare to say this also, that to have them and always observe them is injurious, and that to appear to have them is useful; to appear merciful, faithful, humane, religious, upright, and be so, but with a mind so framed that should you require not to be so, you may be able and know how to change to the opposite.

Dubbed the "Oath of Drake,"
A noble philosophy; I adhere...for now.

Angie

If it's more of a dialect that has the same base as other languages, I'd be fine letting you do, like, a "sub-language" that doesn't cost a Language slot/Lin rank. It depends on how different it is from other languages, if a speaker of the "base" language could still get off general information it's a sub, if an outsider would be totally lost, it's its own language.

Vergil Tanner

Hmm...being in the same country, I would imagine that most outsiders would be able to get by with simple sentences, but anything more complicated - like, they don't get the nuance, a lot of the words are alien and the rhythm is slightly off - if that's ok?

In any case, I should have the Sheet to you by the end of the weekend. :-)

Men in general judge more by the sense of sight than by that of touch, because everyone can see but few can test by feeling. Everyone sees what you seem to be, few know what you really are; and those few do not dare take a stand against the general opinion. Therefore it is unnecessary to have all the qualities I have enumerated, but it is very necessary to appear to have them. And I shall dare to say this also, that to have them and always observe them is injurious, and that to appear to have them is useful; to appear merciful, faithful, humane, religious, upright, and be so, but with a mind so framed that should you require not to be so, you may be able and know how to change to the opposite.

Angie

Make it its own language, then. Will probably work better for what you want.

Vergil Tanner

Oh, in that case, I might as well make it completely incomprehensible to people not from one of the tribes :P go the whole hog, haha. Feel free for other NPCs to speak it if they have a reason. And any PCs who want to speak it, go ahead...as long as you have a reason why the Horse Tribes would teach it :P

So, quickly, what is the countries geography and terrain like? Mostly plains, right? Would it be believable for these Nomads to roam the plains independent if any government, at least before the invasion? Or would there have been wars to try try to drive them out?

Angie

Saniki may very well have had a sort of agreement with them, basically, they don't attack Saniki, Saniki doesn't try to blow them the fuck up. Other countries can be as hostile as you like, depending on the tribes own level of aggression. Na'aruse/Gradia would have mostly ignored them, because nomadic tribes aren't a huge concern for them to either subjugate or stop, especially when most of their trade is by seafaring routes anyway.

Vergil Tanner

Hmmm...would Na'aruse have at least tried to secure their mew territory against them by either treaty or intimidation? Since horse tribes are still more trouble than they're worth, if they decide to cause issues. :P
But ok so...what other countries are there? I'd like the tribes to be historic enemies with one of the countries, having fought a few wars with them before. If that's possible at least :-)

Kathyan

What board have you thought placing this in and what would be the level of sexiness/smut, not that is a problem in any way but I ask so that I can think of a proper concept

Also a few other questions regarding character options, also just asking here as well, haven't decided anything yet but I already got a few ideas
1 Besides it's price, just how common are fireguns, I mean are they considered exotic weapons or martial
2 what would be the cost of distilling aetherite
3 if we start with an item creation feat could we have crafted our own magic items (so they cost less)
4 what about background skills are they allowed
5 same about drawbacks

Rhynarion

I would quickly like to add that I would very much enjoy Background Skills being used; they subtract nothing and add huge flavor.

Vergil Tanner

Ok, so! Here's my Tribal Horse Archer! :D

Name: Temudai, formerly of the Atanai Clan.
Sex: Male
Race: Human, Dugura Horseman.

Class: Ranger, Skirmisher Archetype
Alignment: Chaotic Good
Faction: Other: Dugura. Allied to Gradia and Saniki Dissidents. Opposed to Na'aruse.
Goals: Reunite with Altina and Toq; Overthrow Na'aruse and liberate Saniki; return from exile to the Dugura.

Level: 3
EXP: 3,300 / 6000

Appearance:
Standing at just under six feet tall with broad shoulders and an athletic, muscular body, Tamudai is the exemplar of what a Duguran Horseman should be; muscular, powerful but also lithe and flexible, ready to spring into action at a moments notice. His skin is a tanned brown, long black hair falling about his shoulders and a well-kept chin-beard and moustache cut short around his mouth. His eyes, in contrast to his dark hair, are a striking blue and though the elements have weathered his young face into hardness and sharp, experienced, boxy angles, his mouth is always quick to smile and his eyes seem to permanently twinkly with wry delight and amusement; despite his hardships, he has not yet lost his sense of humour, and he enjoys living life to the fullest...as should be obvious both from the amount of notches in his belt he has accrued, and how many scars he has collected from jealous men and monsters both. He is never seen without at least his bow on his back and his horse by his side, a tankard of strong ale in his hand a boisterous laugh on his lips. However, if you sneak a glance at him in the quiet hours of the morning, you might just see a deep ennui, an almost brooding sadness in his eyes...at least before he spots you and raises a toast in your honour.

Basic Background
Temudai was once a proud member of the Atanai Clan, one of the larger tribes of the nomadic Dugura peoples – famed for their horsemanship – who populate the far Eastern edge of Gradia. The Dugura and the Gradians have a long history of friendship, storied and celebrated by both peoples (at least, officially). In exchange for being allowed free, unchecked reign of the Eastern Marches, the vast swathes of plains where the Duguran's preferred prey animals reside, the Duguran's police the large plains and return any escaped convicts who attempt to hide there to Gradian custody, also providing a screen and deterrence against the smaller country of Kythia. Kythia and Gradia have always been rivals and enemies, bickering over small parcels of land, squabbling over everything from international trade-routes to fashion and petty insults that show up in their respective literature. Temudai isn't sure where the hostility started, but he doesn't much care; the Duguran People hate Kythia just as much as Gradia, which is why pissing them off in exchange for Gradian land is such a good deal for them. Long story short, the Duguran Peoples used to populate the steep steppes and rolling hills of modern-day Kythia, but when a far off country settled colonies in Kythia, the two populations quickly fell into war. It was a brutal, savage war of attrition that lasted nearly two decades, and when the dust cleared, neither side had been able to make the other budge a single inch. So, they struck up an uneasy agreement; simply put, the Dugurans would stay on their side of the Crynaean River – the largest river in Kythia, dividing the Western third from the rest of the country – and the Kythians would stay on theirs. And so they remained for almost a century.

Unfortunately, the Kythians were not content to leave well enough alone; two hundred years ago, after winning independence from their Mother Country, they seized upon a pretext of a handful of tribes raiding across the river to launch a surprise invasion. It was a massacre. They hit the tribes unprepared and divided, and not only sought to push them from their land, but also exterminate them completely; entire villages of men, women and children were put to the sword, the young boys clapped in irons and shipped off to slavery, miles of hills and grassland set ablaze in an effort to exterminate their way of life. It was only when the vastly reduced Duguran Tribesmen fled to Gradia. A people that once numbered in the hundreds of thousands had been reduced to a scant ten thousand, spread out amongst various fractured, independent tribes. When the refugees fled across the border, the Kythians demanded that the Gradians join them in exterminating the “vermin” as they branded them. Of course, at this point, tensions between Gradia and Kythia had already been simmering for almost 150 years, so the Gradians were more than happy to thumb their nose at their antagonistic neighbour. Horrified at the Duguran plight and eager to annoy Kythia, the Gradians offered them land on the borders of the Gradian country, plains where they could roam and grow once more. They offered support should the Kythians attack once again, and supplies should the new refugees require them. The two have been close neighbours ever since, with the Duguran Horseman developing their own sense of identity as a people as opposed to the disparate, independent tribes that they once travelled in; Kythia had crushed them because they had not been united enough. That would not happen again.

So, when Na'aruse invaded Saniki, as soon as the Duguran horsemen heard the news they began to mount up. See, their granted territory ended up being a swathe of land that ran past - at its most Southern edge - the Kythian border, and at its most northern, around the Eastern edge of Saniki. The horsemen and the City, whilst a little tense towards each other at first, soon struck up a friendship of their own; bandit and monster activity in the area tended to drop sharply whenever the Dugura were around, and when they passed through they always ended up doing very good business with the City. Some of the Dugura even ended up putting down roots in the city, though that didn't happen very often. When Na'aruse invaded Saniki, the Dugura scrambled to try and help in preparation for the inevitable retaliation by Gradia, wanting to help their friends in Saniki...but the defeat was far too brutal and quick for them to even finish preparations. It wasn't long after that they soon began receiving delegations from the Na'aruse, assuring them that they would not be attacked or harmed, so long as they didn't interfere in the subjugation of their allies. The first few tribes outright refused to consider abandoning their Gradian allies, and summarily declared war...only to be quickly exterminated by the Expeditionary Force stationed nearby. The other tribes quickly fell into line, helped along by substantial bribes to the Tribe Elders. The Atanai were in the middle of deliberating Na'aruse's offer when news came of several other tribes destruction. Temudai – already being against capitulation on the grounds of not betraying their old friends, and because in his eyes the Dugura don't bend the knee to anybody – balked at such blatant disrespect and intimidation, and argued ever more stridently against being cowed...but with the elders, his words fell on deaf ears. They had already made up their minds.

Well, Tamudai was not to be deterred. He rallied several hundred of his fellow warriors around him – mostly of the lower orders, the young who had just come into their own as warriors and were looking to climb the social rank, and slightly older warriors who thought as he did – and along with his childhood friends, Altani, daughter of the chieftain of the Orusie Clan, and Toqto'agie, youngest son of the Hasi Clan. Their plan was simple; raid a convoy of Na'aruse soldiers passing through the area, show that they could be beaten, and encourage the other Tribes to rise up in unified revolt. Even if they died, at least they would fall defending their friends and allies. Unfortunately his father Mongkai, Chieftain of the Atanai, had gotten wind of his scheme, and as Tamudai's men readied their position...the rest of the Clans horsemen thundered down upon them. The battle was over in a matter of minutes, those few soldiers who didn't die in the initial charge throwing down their weapons when it was obvious that they were surrounded. For their treachery, the lower orders were executed, the members related to the Elders had their right hands – and therefore their capacity to fight – severed at the wrist...and Tamudai, Altani and Toqto'agie were stripped of their Clan Names and exiled, cast out from the people they had “betrayed.”  Tamudai begged and pleaded that his friends should escape such a harsh punishment, but to no avail; their Clans no longer wanted anything to do with them. And so they set off into the wilderness together, beginning to eke out a meagre existence doing whatever jobs they could find, eventually taking on the role of a Mercenary Company...who also took the opportunity to meddle in whatever Na'aruse business they could get away with. Alas, eventually they bit off more than they could chew; they took on a job to deal with a group of bandits in the north of Gradia, who turned out to in fact be a marauding band of orcs and goblins. During the battle, the three of them were separated and even though Tamudai waiting at the rally point they had set for a good week...nobody showed. Determined that his friends were not dead, he set off to find them; they were the only things he had left that were anything approaching family, and a life without Altani in particular...well, it didn't bear thinking about.

So his search has brought him to Saniki, chasing rumours of lone travellers and adventurers both. If he can find them again, then maybe – just maybe – he can start to get his life back on track.

The Stats and Saves, Overview

HP: 36 (D10 + Con)
Str: 14 ( +2 )
Dex: 19 ( +4 )
Con: 14 ( +2 )
Int: 10 ( 0 )
Wis: 12 ( +1 )
Cha: 10 ( 0 )

Attack (BAB (3) + Str (2) ): +5
Attack Vs Humans: +6
Ranged Attack (BAB (3) + Dex (+4) ): +7 (+9 W/ MW Longbow)
Ranged Attack Vs Humans: +8 (+10)
Ranged Attack <30: +8 (+10)
Ranged Attack <30 Vs Humans: +9 (+11)

AC: (Armour (+6) + Dex (+4) ) 20.
Touch AC: 14
Flatfooted: 16

Fortitude Save: +5
Reflex Save: +7
Initiative: +4
Will: +3

Max Weight: 58lbs
Starting Wealth: 3000gp

Climb: +8
Handle Animal: +6
Knowledge Nature: +4
Linguistics: +2
Perception: +7
Ride: +10
Sense Motive: +3
Stealth: +10
Survival: +7
Survival, Track: +8

Skills, Feats and Traits

Skills:
(7 + Int ) = 7

Languages (1 + Int + Linguistics ): Common, Elven, Duguran.

Class Skills:
Climb (Dex) (1), Handle Animal (Cha) (3), Knowledge Nature (Int) (1), Perception (Wis) (3), Ride (Dex) (3), Stealth (Dex) (3), Survival (Wis) (3)

Other Skills:
Sense Motive (Wis) (2), Linguistics (Int) (2)

Feats:

- Point Blank Shot: +1 Attack and Damage vs Enemies < 30 Feet.

- Precise Shot: No penalty for firing into Melee.

- Rapid Shot: May fire 2 arrows instead of 1 during Full Attack, at -2.

- Weapon Focus Longbow: +1 on Attack Rolls for Longbow,

- Endurance: +4 to Swim Checks to resist nonlethal damage from Exhaustion, Con Checks to continue running, Con checks to avoid nonlethal forced march Damage, Con to hold your breath, Con to avoid Nonlethal Starvation / Dehydration damage, Fort Vs Hot or Cold environments, Fort Vs Suffocation Damage. You may sleep in light or medium armour without becoming fatigued.

Traits:

- Magical Knack: Pick a class. Caster Level gains +2 Trait Bonus, so long as this does not exceed your HD.

- Indomitable Faith: +1 Will Save.

Racial Bonuses:
- +2 on One Stat
- Medium Sized
- Speed 30ft
- Bonus Feat, Level 1
- +1 Skill point at every level

Class Bonuses:

- Proficient with all simple and martial weapons, light armour, medium armour and shields (except Tower).
- Favoured Enemy, Level 1: Human.
   - Gains a +2 bonus on Bluff, Knowledge, Perception, Sense Motive and Survival
   - +2 Attack and +2 Damage Vs Favoured.
   - May make untrained knowledge checks to identify.
- Track: Adds half his level (Min 1) to Survival checks to Track.
- Wild Empathy: Can improve initial attitude of animal. Functions like a Diplomacy Check, 1d20 + Ranger Level + Cha bonus. Must be within 30 feet, normal visibility. Usually takes 1 minute, may take more or less time.
- Combat Style: At Level 2, choose a Style (archery). May take a Bonus Feat from this Style (Rapid Shot)
- Endurance: Gain Endurance as a Bonus Feat.
- Favoured Terrain: +2 on Initiative, Knowledge (Geography), Perception, Stealth and Survival Skills when on Favoured Terrain. A Ranger travelling through his FT leaves no trail and cannot be tracked.

Inventory:

Starting Wealth: 3000gp
Max Weight: 58lbs

- Longsword (15gp, 4lbs): 1d8, Crit 19-20 x2, Slashing.
- Masterwork Composite (+1) Longbow (500gp, 3lbs): 1d8 + 1, Crit x3, 110ft Range.

- Arrows Common x20 (1gp, 3lbs): Piercing
- Arrows Blunt x20 (2gp, 3lbs): Bludgeoning

- +1 Studded Leather (1,175gp 20lbs): AC +4, Max Dex +5, Speed 30ft.
- +1 Buckler (1,155gp, 5lbs): AC +2, may use bows.

- Bedroll (1sp) (5lbs) (Horse)
- Blanket (5sp) (3lbs) (Horse)

- Rations, trail x6 (5sp x 6 = 3gp) (1lb x 6 = 6lb).
- Waterskin, Filled (1gp, 4lbs) (Horse)

- Torch x2 (2gp, 2lbs)

- Cure Minor Wounds x1 (50gp)

- Heavy Horse, Combat Trained (300gp) (Doragar)
Stats

Size: Large
HP: 19 (2d8 + 10)
Str: 20 (+5) (133lbs Light Load)
Dex: 18 (+4)
Con: 21 (+5)
Int: 2 (-4)
Wis: 17 (+3)
Cha: 11 (0)

Speed: 50ft
Melee: Bite +5 (1d4 + 5), 2 Hooves + 0 (1d6 +2)
CMB: +7
CMD: 21, 25 Vs Trip
AC: (15 + 3) 18, Touch 13, Flat Footed 14
Feats: Endurance, Run.
Skills: Perception +8

- Saddle, Military (20gp, 30lbs) (Horse): +2 Circumstance on Ride Checks to avoid being knocked out. If the rider is unconscious, 75% chance to stay in the saddle.
- Studded Leather Barding (125gp, 20lbs) (Horse): +3AC, +5 Dex, -1 ACP
- Bit And Bridle (2gp 3lbs) (Horse)

End Wealth: 56gp 6sp
Total Weight: 46lbs

I hope he's ok and people like him! :D

Vergil Tanner

BTW! If anybody wants any connection with the Dugura or if they want to know their language, let's have a chat :D

Marie Reynolds

Before the fall of Saniki would Temudai have come to Saniki. To get a drink or take in a show. Cause if he did then you might have met My character.

Vergil Tanner

Hmm...I hadn't thought about it, but I think so! It isn't unusual for members of the Dugura to travel and see other parts of Gradia, and Saniki being what it is, I imagine that Temudai, Altina and Toqto'agie would have had a little holiday there, possibly to get some distance while their respective Tribal Elders cooled off after their latest act of mischief. XD

Marie Reynolds

Alright, So does that mean your act of  Mischief happened before the fall of Saniki and when she meet your group, They were outcasts already?

Vergil Tanner

Oh no no no. Him and his friends - even as they got older - still liked to have fun, and sometimes that made the older people mad, so they'd slip away for a few days while people cooled off. They were exiled shortly after the fall of Saniki, when the Dugura were trying to figure out how to respond to the invasion. :-)

What was your character doing before The Fall? :-)

Marie Reynolds

Ah, Okay well before the fall she was a dancer at her families establishment. She would have also been the one to entertain guests that came in and would be  a hostesses to particularly high roller's or customers who might bring others from the clan if the restaurant took good care of them. So maybe through that relationship the three of them became friends.

Rhynarion

Being only 3rd level doesn't prohibit being Gradian Special Ops, or something else clandestine, does it?

Since adventurers are the exception even at first level, being that most commoners don't even have class levels?

Angie

Quote from: Kathyan on March 18, 2017, 02:24:54 AM
What board have you thought placing this in and what would be the level of sexiness/smut, not that is a problem in any way but I ask so that I can think of a proper concept

Also a few other questions regarding character options, also just asking here as well, haven't decided anything yet but I already got a few ideas
1 Besides it's price, just how common are fireguns, I mean are they considered exotic weapons or martial
2 what would be the cost of distilling aetherite
3 if we start with an item creation feat could we have crafted our own magic items (so they cost less)
4 what about background skills are they allowed
5 same about drawbacks

1: Firearms are a very, VERY complicated subject in this world that I will answer further down.

2: The Aetherite and the materials to distill it properly cost 50 gp per dose. Buying it directly is much more expensive.

3: Yes, but I will roll it, to see if its botched.

4: Sure, background skills are fine. Extra points never go awry and I've never seen a situation where 2 extra skill points broke a game.

5: I'm not quite sure. I've never really played with drawbacks before, and I'm not entirely sure if I want to. I may allow one drawback for one extra trait, but get back to me on that.

Firearms:
For rules, I will be using "Commonplace Guns". However, the truth is a bit more complex. While there are small craft guilds and even individual gunsmiths making "early" firearms, advanced firearms are actually in common use. The reason advanced guns aren't as common is because the Gradian military is basically the only army that uses them, as Na'aruse's prohibitions on metal mining means they can only field what they steal from Gradia, and other countries do not have the resources (in basic materials and Aetherite) to field them either.

Guns don't fire regular bullets, in fact, the guns here are quite different to our real life guns. Instead, every gun produced is a product of Mage-tech. The weapons fire specially cut chunks of Aetherite, which function similar to bullets from our world, but instead of being propelled by an explosion of black powder (or other chemicals in the case of modern firearms), the Aetherite itself releases a small burst of Aether that propels the "bullet".

Misfires that result in an explosion are considered "magic" damage for the purposes of overcoming DR. The bullets themselves are still physical unless the bullet or gun is otherwise enchanted, meaning that guns still do the same damage type listed.

Guns are considered martial weapons and early firearms are much cheaper, but advanced guns are unavailable for purchase. if the party gets any, they will have been stolen from Na'aruse, who already stole them from Gradia.

Also, Vergil, (and this goes for everyone), please put your Faction (for you, it would be "Other: Durgasa") and a brief summary of your Goal somewhere in there so I can see it at a glance. There's XP rewards for working for your faction/goal, so I want to make sure you lovelies get everything you're supposed to get.

Angie

Quote from: Rhynarion on March 18, 2017, 11:08:40 AM
Being only 3rd level doesn't prohibit being Gradian Special Ops, or something else clandestine, does it?

Since adventurers are the exception even at first level, being that most commoners don't even have class levels?

Double post, but man, you guys don't stop!

Thomas Malore, the Spymaster of Gradia, has been perfectly willing to send secret agents into Saniki. So if you want to be Gradia Spec Ops, go for it.

Vergil Tanner

@Marie: So it's a restaurant, with "Entertainment," so to speak? So why would they have gifted the three Duguran youths with a VIP table, besides the whole "They can bring the Clansmen in?" I mean, why would they want a bunch of Horsemen Nomads in their fine establishment? :P I'm not against the idea, I just want an idea why they would be treated so well on their first visit. :P

@Angie:
Ah, sorry! Edited!

Also, what's the relationship between Gradia and Saniki, sorry? Is Saniki a City State, or part of the Empire? I kind of need to know so I can edit my background appropriately, since if Saniki has no connection to the Gradian Empire besides being allies, there's no real reason for the Dugura to care. Unless the border they've been settled on is also a border near Saniki, so they've built up a decent relationship with the city as well.

Vergil Tanner

NEVER MIND, sorry. I found it upon re-reading the post. I was tired yesterday when I first read the info, haha, sorry.

So...which compass point is Saniki on, relative to Gradia? Because for the Duguran Horsemen to be bothered by the Kingdom of Na'aruse, they need to be fairly close by, but they also - for the sake of their history - need to be close to a border with Kythia. In your head, can the Geography be squibbed to accommodate such an arrangement, where the Duguran Horsemen are close enough to all three to be bothered? XD

Angie

I'll give you guys the relevant parts of the Treaty of Saniki so you guys have a clearer understanding of the dynamics here:

1: Saniki will remain independent of Gradia and Na'aruse.

2: Should Gradia or Na'aruse capture Saniki and therefore rob it of its independence, then the unoffending army must liberate Saniki by any means. If another, unaffiliated country should capture Saniki, then both Gradia and Saniki are expected to aid the liberation effort. (Note: In this case, Na'aruse is the country that has broken this provision, and therefore, Gradia is expected to answer the call. As has been established, full military mobilization takes time, hence our current situation)

3: Saniki will keep no standing armies outside of a volunteer Militia, for purposes of city defense only.

So, to more directly answer Virgil's question, Saniki and Gradia are NOT considered allies. Both countries have also allowed for a sort of "buffer zone" between themselves and the City of Saniki to ease border tensions. This is less a provision of the treaty and more smart rulers doing intelligent things. Saniki is completely independent, and getting it back to that state is the desired end goal here.

Gradia lies in the western part of Folatia, with Na'aruse being in the East. Saniki sits on one of the most valuable land routes that connect east and west, though the geography can be enough that every country considers the Duguran a headache.

EDIT: Also, Vergil, your Goals should say "Liberate Saniki", Gradia does not need liberating, they're the ones DOING the liberating.