News:

Main Menu

Table Top Dying?

Started by Hunter, June 24, 2007, 12:08:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hunter

Maybe it's my perspective and the area that I live in.  But it seems to me that good old sit down around the table and play kinda gaming is going the way of the dinosaur.

Any thoughts?

Celestial Goblin

Nah. They're just niche.
They'll never die, but won't get more popular than they are.
And forum based gaming will be tad more popular.

HairyHeretic

I think it's just you :)

I'm playing in a couple of different groups, as are several other people I game with. Currently my groups play one weeknight, and a Saturday, and until a couple of weeks ago our group had Tues/Thurs games as well (the guy whose place we played at just moved, so we're looking alternatives).
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Jeramiahh

I agree; Tabletop's here to stay. As much as I love the forums, they're very unwieldy, and, comparatively, very slow. I mean, it can take a few days to get through a single round of combat! Meeting in real life, everything's instant, and there's a lot more that can be done.

I prefer it, given the opportunity.
I'm not shy. I'm silently stalking my prey.
There are two things that are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not quite sure about the first one.

Vekseid

I think tabletop has a potentially very huge future through venues like OpenRPG.

ZK

Table-Top and Forum based gaming will never die. And as Vekseid said, the possibilities are becoming endless now with venues like OpenRPG and for those with strong designer capabilities [Second Life, which I use]. As for table-top personally, it's more of a location based fit. Some cities have stronger followings in game genres and companies then others. For example, here in Georgia it's primarily these three: White Wolf [possibly because White Wolf HQ is located in GA and around a fifteen to thirty minute drive for me], d20 Based Products [WoTC and old Alternity/TSR is on the rise] then in a strong third, Shadowrun...funny eh? Shadowrun is rather popular here in GA.
On's/Off's --- Game Reviews

"Only the insane have strength enough to prosper. Only those who prosper may judge what is sane."

HairyHeretic

I think those 3 are pretty popular everywhere. Me, I'd love to play a game of Qin (roleplaying in mythic China, do a Water Margins-ish game) but unfortunately my group aren't as into that idea as me.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

ZK

Water Margin? Awesome, now if Suikoden was a table top game, it'd be good. Basically, if you know Water Margin, you know Suikoden, but I doubt you could play as 108 people. Hehe.

"Only the insane have strength enough to prosper. Only those who prosper may judge what is sane."

HairyHeretic

Don't think I could fit 108 people into my place for a weekly game, no  :D

Wonder if it might be playable online though ... *ponders*

Cattle die, kinsmen die

ZK

Seeing as Suikoden has 108 main characters in every game only around half of them are actual combatant. I guess you could have up to eight of those to be PC and the rest NPC.

Celestial Goblin

*big smile*
Games I wish to run but they are too action-oriented for forums and I have no one to play off-line at the moment:
Iron Heroes D20 with Lovecraftian influences and monsters
D&D dungeon crawl, but with all the party being evil and going to wreck havoc in good kingdoms
Savage Worlds - Rippers
Unknown Armies - Inquisition campaign
Horror game in a haunted movie studio using UA engine
AD&D Spelljammer
Artesia

Yeah...

HairyHeretic

The character I did up for our test game of Qin (playing an intro scenario) I had a fangshi, a wandering exorcist (with a little con man thrown in for good measure). Not much in the way of combat talent, but I did manage to freak out an entire army patrol  ;D

THE BIRDS! THE BIRDS! It is an omen!

Cattle die, kinsmen die

ZK

You'd LOVE The Secret of Zir'An, CG. It's basically Iron Heroes WITH Lovecraftian and Clive Barker esque monsters. :D

Vandren

Quote from: Hunter on June 24, 2007, 12:08:08 PM
Maybe it's my perspective and the area that I live in.  But it seems to me that good old sit down around the table and play kinda gaming is going the way of the dinosaur.

Any thoughts?

Haven't played "table top" (though there was rarely ever an actual table) in five, six years.  I'd love to, and would jump at the chance, again.  Unfortunately, there's no one around my area at the moment.  Or at least no one it would be worth joining, especially since I won't live here by this time next year.  *shrug*

That said, we do have a few folks who get together at our place every so often for a bit of Munchkin, or Star Munchkin, or Munchkin Fu.  :)
"Life is growth.  If we stop growing, technically and spiritually, we are as good as dead." -Morihei Ueshiba, O-Sensei

HairyHeretic

I once hit someone for 80 levels of monster in star munchkin  ;D .... the great cthulhu, powered up from 20 to 40, and his clone. That was funny.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Moondazed

My husband is a die hard gamer... he goes to 8-12 rpg con's a year, and I get to go with him to DexCon and DragonCon this year :)  He doesn't play online because he doesn't like the slow pace, it doesn't keep his interest.
~*~ Sexual Orientation: bi ~*~ BDSM Orientation: switch ~*~ Ons and Offs ~*~ Active Stories ~*~

kongming

Quote from: Jeramiahh on June 24, 2007, 12:21:51 PM
I mean, it can take a few days to get through a single round of combat! Meeting in real life, everything's instant, and there's a lot more that can be done.

With a few of my former groups, tabletop could go the same way  :P
The number of distractions we've had before...

But yeah, tabletop will always be there. It's just that when you can't play tabletop, online is always an option. Likewise, you can supplement tabletop with online games, as they don't take up as much time if you don't let them.

People thought MMORPGs would kill tabletop. Heck, people thought roleplaying games would kill wargames. Neither one has happened.
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

I have a catapult. Give me all the money, or I will fling an enormous rock at your head.

Ons/Offs:
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=9536.msg338515

Avi

Just to put in my two cents here.  I love forum roleplay, but, frankly, especially with Dungeons & Dragons , I'd take tabletop over forum any day.  The two good reasons are speed, and socializing.  With a group that meets face-to-face, you quickly become friends.  I think tabletop will stay for a long time because of this.
Your reality doesn't apply to me...

kongming

Oh, but I think adult gaming will likely remain on forums only. I couldn't play such a game tabletop, even though my friends do know about my fetishes and all.
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

I have a catapult. Give me all the money, or I will fling an enormous rock at your head.

Ons/Offs:

Cherri Tart

i don't know, KM - with the right group... i mean, i might actually get over my aversion to dice and rules if i could play footsies with you under the table whilst my 2nd level elven maiden was bent over the knee of your 7th level paladin and given a hearty spanking ;)
you were never able to keep me breathing as the water rises up again

O/O, Cherri Flavored

HairyHeretic

You just need to find the right group Cherri .. dice and rules are not scary things  :)

Except when you drop d4s on the floor and find them by standing on them when you're half asleep. Thats just painfull though.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Cherri Tart

lol - you keep telling me that, HH - but i know better - dice are scarey - they eat your brain!
you were never able to keep me breathing as the water rises up again

O/O, Cherri Flavored

Swedish Steel

Hmmm, I for one wouldn't mind GMing my current game in the flesh, as it were. :)
"Ah, no, not bukkake chef! Secret ingredient always same."

On Off page:
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=5467.0

kongming

I suppose if it was a group I met over here or something... just my current tabletop friends. It'd be awkward, I guess. But I agree, Cherri, that could be a lot of fun. I'm sure a number of scenes could even be played out live-action *wink*

Oh, and I have a "Smith's Stax" container filled with dice (more than 300d6), left OPEN no less, and it hasn't affected me... that I know of.

Blarble yargle frazzle snazzle niknok SKORK! *giggles incessantly*

Ahem. Yes.

Ons/Offs:

Hunter

The area that I live in tends to suck with gaming groups.  Hence my original point.

And no, I wouldn't mind a little "adult LARP" myself.   ;)