Main Menu

Don't Vote

Started by Caeli, October 03, 2008, 02:49:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caeli

Don't Vote.

Yes, you heard me. :P

http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1832128

Watch it. It's only five minutes out of your day.
ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀғʟɪᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɢᴏᴅ's ᴘʀᴏᴏғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ
ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴀɪʟᴀʙʟᴇ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏs

ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ❋ ғᴏʀ ɪᴅᴇᴀs; 'ø' ғᴏʀ ᴏɴs&ᴏғғs, ᴏʀ ᴘᴍ ᴍᴇ.
{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪғᴛʜ sᴄʜᴏʟᴀʀʟʏ ᴀʀᴛ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ
»  ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴜɴɴɪᴇs × sᴛᴏʀʏ sᴇᴇᴅs × ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs

Trieste

I'm so glad ... so glad there's this kind of initiative this election. Last election was good, this election has gotten better.

God, maybe people will grow a sense of responsibility. *crosses all digits possible*

Caeli

I forced my housemate to register. >>; She became a citizen last spring, so I wanted to make sure that she registered in time.

Ever since taking AP Government in high school, I've believed that voting is a civic responsibility. :) And not just voting, but making sure that people who can, register to vote.

I could write a whole shpiel, but I think people should watch the video. :D

{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ

Mathim

I'm not voting...if I register I'll be put on the list for jury duty.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

Lilias

In Greece, until very recently, voting was obligatory, as in having both civic and penal consequences if you were caught not voting without a valid excuse. That no longer happens, but it is taken for granted that you must vote. There's no registering; everyone over the age of 18 automatically is given the right/obligation. I still don't get the registering process here in the UK.
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Feb 20) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Caeli

Quote from: Lilias on October 03, 2008, 05:02:09 PMIn Greece, until very recently, voting was obligatory, as in having both civic and penal consequences if you were caught not voting without a valid excuse. That no longer happens, but it is taken for granted that you must vote. There's no registering; everyone over the age of 18 automatically is given the right/obligation. I still don't get the registering process here in the UK.

Ever since learning about it, I've always bemoaned how the United States doesn't make it mandatory to vote. It's why there's such a low voter turnout - compare the U.S. to Australia, for instance, where I believe there is a day off to vote and it is compulsory, there is a 95% turnout (in comparison to just over 50% in recent years in the United States).

I also believe that jury duty is a civic responsibility. If you're on trial one day, you might appreciate the presence of the jurors, I'm sure. But that's only my opinion - if you don't like the system, go somewhere where you won't be compelled to participate in the jury selection process.

I think it's worse when people don't vote, and then complain about laws and bills that they disagree with, or how terrible life is because the government sucks. Voting means you're making an opinion - it's only one in however many are registered, but it still counts. You cast your ballot and disagree - THEN, you can be all righteous and cuss out George Bush and your Senator and your Representative all you want. If people are eligible to vote and do not even bother to register... they're not bothering to voice an opinion, and really shouldn't have a right to complain about how miserable the government is making their life.

*clears throat*

Anyway.

{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ

Oniya

I think jury duty could be really interesting - of course, I watch shows like Forensics Files and Dr. G for fun.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

The Overlord

Awesome vid, I passed it onto another dozen.

Mathim

Quote from: Caeli on October 03, 2008, 06:32:33 PM
Ever since learning about it, I've always bemoaned how the United States doesn't make it mandatory to vote. It's why there's such a low voter turnout - compare the U.S. to Australia, for instance, where I believe there is a day off to vote and it is compulsory, there is a 95% turnout (in comparison to just over 50% in recent years in the United States).

I also believe that jury duty is a civic responsibility. If you're on trial one day, you might appreciate the presence of the jurors, I'm sure. But that's only my opinion - if you don't like the system, go somewhere where you won't be compelled to participate in the jury selection process.

I think it's worse when people don't vote, and then complain about laws and bills that they disagree with, or how terrible life is because the government sucks. Voting means you're making an opinion - it's only one in however many are registered, but it still counts. You cast your ballot and disagree - THEN, you can be all righteous and cuss out George Bush and your Senator and your Representative all you want. If people are eligible to vote and do not even bother to register... they're not bothering to voice an opinion, and really shouldn't have a right to complain about how miserable the government is making their life.

*clears throat*

Anyway.

Or if you're like me, then you believe that the fact that Bush got in twice means that the whole process is rigged. It's the Matrix!
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

Sherona

The reason the US doesnt make Voting Mandatory is basically because it takes away a freedom of choice. However I do agree that those who don't vote don't have a right to complain about the government....

I am voting, even though the only two real candidates that have any chance I have low opinions on both....its once again voting on what I think is the lesser of two evils...inexperiance over cowboyism any day thank you.

ohhdeardarlingg

Quote from: Mathim on October 03, 2008, 04:34:15 PM
I'm not voting...if I register I'll be put on the list for jury duty.

Nope, they're doing it with your drivers license now.  So if you're driving, your name is in the pot for jury duty- which you may or may not have to serve.  Keep in mind that even if you do go in for one day, odds that you'll actually be picked to serve as a juror on a case are extremely small, as usually they seek hundreds of potential jurors to narrow down to twelve.

Caeli

Quote from: Sherona on October 04, 2008, 01:16:15 PM
The reason the US doesnt make Voting Mandatory is basically because it takes away a freedom of choice. However I do agree that those who don't vote don't have a right to complain about the government....

I am voting, even though the only two real candidates that have any chance I have low opinions on both....its once again voting on what I think is the lesser of two evils...inexperiance over cowboyism any day thank you.

Our voting system really does need an overhaul, but until it happens, it seems a bit backwards (to me) not to vote because you're "protesting" that the system sucks. Buut... yes. Lesser of two evils, once again. -_-

{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ

Kiara

It is funny that people don't register because it would put them on the list to serve jury duty. I hear that excuse all the time. Maybe the government should give people who don't vote jury duty, and let all of the voters just live their lives. ;)

Mathim

Quote from: ohhdeardarlingg on October 04, 2008, 02:40:45 PM
Nope, they're doing it with your drivers license now.  So if you're driving, your name is in the pot for jury duty- which you may or may not have to serve.  Keep in mind that even if you do go in for one day, odds that you'll actually be picked to serve as a juror on a case are extremely small, as usually they seek hundreds of potential jurors to narrow down to twelve.

I'm quite happy with my bicycle and the light rail. What I don't get is why they don't just have professional jurors to handle this kind of thing...seems like things would go smoother. The only reason I can think of is the cost.

The Overlord

Quote from: Kiara on October 04, 2008, 03:01:10 PM
It is funny that people don't register because it would put them on the list to serve jury duty. I hear that excuse all the time. Maybe the government should give people who don't vote jury duty, and let all of the voters just live their lives. ;)

Hell man, I have no problem with jury duty. Get some time off work and have a rock-solid excuse not to go in, experience something different for a change, and maybe just maybe send a douchebag to prison that deserves it.

Problem is, I know I'll never serve. When I filled out the questionnaire sheet, I paused for a moment at the question that asked; do you believe in the American form of government.

Not missing a beat, I ignored the little boxes for Yes and No, and penciled in "in theory yes, in practice no".

Haven't been called yet.  ::)

Inkidu

I didn't laugh... *Coughtoopoliticalcough, looks at the floor.*
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Jefepato

Quote from: Kiara on October 04, 2008, 03:01:10 PM

What's funny is it won't help.  I've been called for jury duty and I've never been registered to vote.

Why not?  Because I don't live in a swing state.  Voting would be like spitting into the ocean and expecting the tides to change.  It's a gesture that has no real meaning or effect and that will not be noticed; it hardly seems like voicing an opinion to me.

(Besides, I don't like any of the candidates, and I don't think writing in "you all suck" on the ballot will get anything done.)

Quote from: Mathim on October 04, 2008, 04:59:20 PM
I'm quite happy with my bicycle and the light rail. What I don't get is why they don't just have professional jurors to handle this kind of thing...seems like things would go smoother. The only reason I can think of is the cost.

I can think of another reason: because the purpose of having a jury is somewhat subverted if the jury is made up of people employed by the state.

ohhdeardarlingg

Quote from: Mathim on October 04, 2008, 04:59:20 PM
I'm under the impression that the point of a jury is to get a citizen's perspective, not a government employee.  In fact, I think a government employee of any sort very rarely gets actually selected to be on a jury.  (Did anyone else notice that the other day when they said OJ Simpson had been declared guilty they also mentioned that the jury was all white?  I hate things like that.)

Hmm; this being a political(ish) thread maybe someone'll get the giggles out of this:
When asked by benefactors why she seemed to have such a hard time when she was interviewed by Katie Couric, Sarah Palin joked, "I know what I should have said.  It's job security for Tina Fey, that's what it is."

Made me smile.  At least she's kinda witty.  Sometimes. 

Cherri Tart

i would activley like to encourage those not voting the same as i do to not vote.  Really, i'm serious.  just don't show up so my vote counts more.  Even better, NO one besides me vote and then i can just pick who i want for office, even write ins if i so choose.
you were never able to keep me breathing as the water rises up again

O/O, Cherri Flavored

Trieste

Together, we can write in Mickey Mouse. :P

Mathim

Frankly I'm noticing more and more data that demonstrates that it's pretty much too late to stop the inevitable doom we're all racing toward. I don't think the best candidates in the world, if voted in to any office, would be able to do a thing about it.

ohhdeardarlingg

Quote from: Mathim on October 07, 2008, 11:37:35 AM
Frankly I'm noticing more and more data that demonstrates that it's pretty much too late to stop the inevitable doom we're all racing toward. I don't think the best candidates in the world, if voted in to any office, would be able to do a thing about it.

you may just be right about that.

unless of course mickey mouse does get written in, I'm sure he'd do a fine job.

Inkidu

Quote from: Mathim on October 07, 2008, 11:37:35 AM
Oh my dear Lord. There is nothing that can be done in this election to destroy America. Just step back and relax. We're in some rough areas really rough, but come on we went trough a civil war. How can this be worse than that?
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

ShrowdedPoet

Quote from: Inkidu on October 07, 2008, 03:16:47 PM
Oh my dear Lord. There is nothing that can be done in this election to destroy America. Just step back and relax. We're in some rough areas really rough, but come on we went trough a civil war. How can this be worse than that?

Not to agree with what you are disagreeing with just to point out a flaw in this logic.  Why are you comparing two things that have nothing to do with each other.  That would have been better stated, we made it through the Great Depression how can this be worse?
Kiss the hand that beats you.
Sexuality isn't a curse, it's a gift to embrace and explore!
Ons and Offs

Caeli

Yes, we are in quite an interesting situation (the United States is), and no, there is probably little else that could be done except to "ride it out" in its entirety.

Maybe both candidates suck, and there's little chance of the other third-party candidates of winning, but it's not as if refusing to vote is going to help the situation any. :P I mean, as far as a protesting or rebelling goes, that's the weakest kind there is. It's like throwing in the towel before the match has even begun, because you're convinced that you're going to lose.

{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ