Wildstar - a wild-west, science fantasy MMO

Started by Top Cat, May 08, 2014, 11:22:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Top Cat

I'm mildly surprised that there isn't already a thread about this.

Wildstar, an upcoming MMO, entered Open Beta today. It's a classic (Everquest/WoW-style) MMO, with an action twist. It's being produced by Carbine Studios (a new outfit, founded by 17 disgruntled ex-Blizzard employees), and published by NCSoft.

Wildstar takes place on a newly-discovered planet, Nexus, and both the Dominion (a totalitarian regime run by an Emperor) and the Exiles (a rag-tag collection of rebels, misfits, and outcasts) intend to make use of the planet.

It was originally announced with the following video back in 2011:
...and has been in development since then.

There's too much information for me to go over it right now; the Beta is only open for the next 10 days. You can get more information on it here: http://wildstar-online.com/en/openbeta/ and check it out for yourself. =^_^=
O/O / Story Seeds
Current posting speed: Slow to moderate. Most threads should get a response within 24 hours, with occasional dips as RL makes demands.
If I am more than a week behind on a story post, please feel free to PM me about it.
I am present in Elliquiy's Discord channel. If you want to chat about a story idea, feel free to DM me there.

Hemingway

We discussed it very briefly in the What Are You Playing thread.

It's looking really promising. I'm definitely going to be playing it.

SinXAzgard21

Well since it is in open beta I will dive back in and give it more of a chance.

Oh and I'd love to team up with any Elli-players going to give this a whirl.  Remember, it is a free beta.
If you know me personally, you know how to contact me.

Hemingway

I was looking forward to that, but my computer is giving me problems, so I likely won't have a chance to try it more before release. I might not even have my PC fixed in time for release, but ... I'll figure out a way around that.

I've played during the previous two beta weekends, though, and ... I was thoroughly impressed.

What classes are people thinking of playing?

Top Cat

Fixed the link. Once it goes live, I'm probably going to play either an Engineer or a Spellslinger, with a side of Explorer. But I'm certain that I won't have only one character.
O/O / Story Seeds
Current posting speed: Slow to moderate. Most threads should get a response within 24 hours, with occasional dips as RL makes demands.
If I am more than a week behind on a story post, please feel free to PM me about it.
I am present in Elliquiy's Discord channel. If you want to chat about a story idea, feel free to DM me there.

Hemingway

Heh, those are the two classes I've tried ( well, a bit of Warrior, too ). Engineer didn't really do it for me, as I'm not much for controlling pets. Spellslinger will probably be my main class. I might do a Medic, too, though. Just because they're likely to be in high demand, and are ( according to the statistics I could find ) going to be the least played class. I like being special like that.

Other classes don't really appeal to me that much.

Top Cat

Medics are probably going to be well-represented after the initial launch rush. Many people who tried them acknowledged that it was more enjoyable than "Watch the health meters" of WoW healing. The dungeon/raid role that's likely to be underrepresented is Tank, even though three classes (Warrior, Engineer, Stalker) are supposedly capable of it.

And, of course, DPS slots will always be adequately filled. ;)
O/O / Story Seeds

Aiden

I'm downloading it now, I been wanting to try this game after hearing about it. Hopefully get around to playing it later tonight.

ThePrince

I am interested in their Creed payment model. Espically sense it is modeled off of EVE Online's PLEX program.

But that program is built around a robust economy incorporating logistics and destructable goods. So it will be interesting to see how this works.
RP Request Thread
O/O's
I am what I am. I am my own special creation.
So come take a look, Give me the hook or the ovation.
It's my world that I want to have a little pride in.
It's my world and it's not a place I have to hide in.
Life ain't worth a dam till you can say I am what I am.

Dashenka

Nice game, funny but it feels a bit... trying too hard.

It's too complicated, too many functions and sub menu's. Can't really put my finger on what it is. It's not a bad game though but it's not very innovative and with the price tag, I think it won't be the success the devs hope for.
Out here in the fields, I fight for my meals and I get my back into my living.

I don't need to fight to prove I'm right and I don't need to be forgiven.

Hemingway

Quote from: Dashenka on May 12, 2014, 04:28:49 PM

It's too complicated, too many functions and sub menu's. Can't really put my finger on what it is. It's not a bad game though but it's not very innovative and with the price tag, I think it won't be the success the devs hope for.

What on earth are you talking about?

SinXAzgard21

Quote from: Dashenka on May 12, 2014, 04:28:49 PM

I don't think we are playing the same game.  There are really no sub menus and everything if you read the tutorials is pretty much explained.

Dashenka

Exactly... IF you read the tutorials... Which I never do. If a game isn't self explanatory, to me it's too complicated.

It's still a fun game though. Something about the graphics that's really nice.

SinXAzgard21

Quote from: Dashenka on May 13, 2014, 02:30:54 AM
Exactly... IF you read the tutorials... Which I never do. If a game isn't self explanatory, to me it's too complicated.

It's still a fun game though. Something about the graphics that's really nice.

How do you even play most games in recent generations?

Dashenka

Common sense? Most games look roughly the same or have the same interfaces, I felt this was different.

Hemingway

Quote from: Dashenka on May 13, 2014, 04:05:21 AM
Common sense? Most games look roughly the same or have the same interfaces, I felt this was different.

It's really quite similar to WoW, which most players will probably have tried. It's even more similar to Guild Wars 2, so it's really not that out of the ordinary. I really didn't see anyone complaining it was overly complex during the beta, so I don't think your opinion is really the majority opinion.

There's obviously stuff to learn because there's more to do than most MMOs I've played, and a lot of the stuff ( like crafting ) has more depth. But that's a good thing!

Dashenka

Quote from: Hemingway on May 13, 2014, 07:15:13 AM
It's really quite similar to WoW, which most players will probably have tried. It's even more similar to Guild Wars 2, so it's really not that out of the ordinary. I really didn't see anyone complaining it was overly complex during the beta, so I don't think your opinion is really the majority opinion.

There's obviously stuff to learn because there's more to do than most MMOs I've played, and a lot of the stuff ( like crafting ) has more depth. But that's a good thing!

Keyword is 'I'.

I found it too complex and too different. Never stated that it was the majority view. :)

Hemingway

Quote from: Dashenka on May 13, 2014, 07:58:45 AM
Keyword is 'I'.

I found it too complex and too different. Never stated that it was the majority view. :)

You did suggest it wouldn't be successful, and you did that right after saying it was too complex. I took that to mean you meant it wouldn't be successful because it was too complex.

Dashenka

Should have said I find it too complex and I think it won't be successful because I think it's too complex. The only thing it stands out at against the other MMO's is the graphics.

Chris Brady

Quote from: Dashenka on May 13, 2014, 09:18:22 AM
Should have said I find it too complex and I think it won't be successful because I think it's too complex. The only thing it stands out at against the other MMO's is the graphics.
'Too complex'?  Coming from someone who plays ESO?  I'm impressed.

I never found it all that complex, and I've been in since early Closed Beta.  It's really no worse than World of Warcraft.  Just a different learning curve.  At least, that's what I find.
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Dashenka

Alright. I'm sorry.

Best game I've played in years.

Zeth

I shall give it a shot. Normally an MMO is not my thing, but I enjoy westerns and Science-fantasy.

Chris Brady

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Top Cat

Preorder 3-day advance launches in... 10 minutes. =^_^=
O/O / Story Seeds

Chris Brady

It'll start the moment the damn servers are running properly.

:p