Abductee: Contemporary Sci-fi. (CLOSED)

Started by Vill, February 13, 2014, 02:01:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vill

Abductee
Created by Vill

Missing Time

Abductee is a modern day sci-fi game that revolves around a group of ordinary individuals who live through the experience of an alien abduction.

The average amount of alien abductions reported each year has risen from 50 in the early 1970’s, to nearly 10,000 in 2007. Abduction researchers estimate that these numbers could conservatively be doubled due to the existing social stigma against the willingness to report the occurrence of such an event. In 2009, the Sci-Fi channel sponsored a Roper poll which concluded that over 2.9 million Americans experienced "symptoms" that experts link to the UFO abduction phenomena.

Below is a brief list of events that have occurred between 1942 and 1961. Each event (with the exception of the signing of The Greada Treaty) is accompanied by a short summary and a photograph of a corresponding newspaper article. While UFO sightings and abductions are still considered by mainstream science to be in the realm of the paranormal, the listed events are well documented and more resources can be located with a simple google search. These events will be assumed to be the result of an actual alien presence for the sake of gameplay, while the replica of the world that we will be playing in will continue to hold its existing sentiments of skepticism towards the issue.

It is my goal to successfully develop Abductee into a compelling psychological thriller. My intention is to give the game a more realistic feel by referencing documents and eye-witness testimonies that are supposedly derived from real world events. The point is not to convince the player that alien craft are actually visiting Earth in order to conduct abductions: the purpose is to provide a unique setting in which an array of emotions will be explored through intentional provocation via a variety of stimulating scenarios. I will obviously need to add my own adaptations in order to avoid a game that is composed solely of role playing a person strapped to an examination table. In fact, that aspect will compose very little of the game's interactions. However, my sources of inspiration will attempt to adhere to what the UFO and abduction community continue to provide.

Gameplay

Abductee is still a work in progress, and is likely to remain as such throughout the entirety of the first campaign. Each campaign will consist of one abduction sequence that starts when the characters are removed from their homes, and ends when they are returned. Should they return alive, or with their sanity intact, is another matter altogether. This system of treating abductions as campaigns will allow for characters to be swapped in and out in exchange for new creations, or for new players altogether. The intention is that there is an achievable end to each encounter.

In-game events will progress through an entirely GM provided, plot driven format. Player actions will help to determine how the plot progresses, however Abductee was created with the intention of feeling more akin to a structured game, rather than a collaborative sand box. Player contributions will come mostly in the form of providing both raw character data and meaningful reactions to planned events. A round-robin style posting order will be established through a random number generator that will be utilized after every GM post. Posts will be made in third person, past tense. 

There is no dice system as of yet, and I do not predict that one will become necessary. However, this is the first trial run of Abductee. I will be open to suggestions or alterations as the game progresses, should the need arise. I am looking forward to watching the selected cast enjoy Abductee, and its continued development, equally. This is why I am amiable to avoiding any player stats in favor of focusing on the game's story concept. There are points of interest in a provided questionnaire that will help me, as the GM, to determine certain outcomes of attempted actions, and I think that that will be enough for now.

My vision for Abductee is first and foremost a balance between horror and surrealism in a modern day, science-fiction setting. While it is no secrete that sexual experimentation and exploitation are common themes in real world alien abductions, I do not intend for the game to gravitate towards these events as main plot devices. There will be no projected non-con sexual activities for various reasons. The first being that in-game events will not particularly allow for them. The second is that, as the GM, I will be managing all alien activity, and I am personally not capable of portraying an antagonist in a sexually non-consensual scene. There will be obvious suggestions towards physical experimentation, but there will be no genital mutilation or similar, graphic depictions of sexual torture.

With that being said, you will notice that the questionnaire in the application section is furnished with sensitive questions regarding a potential character's fears and emotional triggers. Feel free to be as graphic and specific as you want with regards to these: myself and the individual applicant should be the only ones with access to this information. The limitations on gameplay that I outlined above may still be alluded to, or used as a possible threat. If ─ and this is a big if ─ two players wish to engage in a non-con scene with one another (there are, unfortunately, testimonies that this this does occur between abductees) it will only be considered permissible if everyone participating in the game is O.K. with it: even if their own character does not participate in, or is not present for, the exchange.

Timeline

1942-02-24: The Battle of Los Angeles
[/center

Air raid sirens sounded throughout Los Angeles County on the night of 24–25 February 1942. A total blackout was ordered and thousands of air raid wardens were summoned to their positions. At 3:16 am the 37th Coast Artillery Brigade began firing .50 caliber machine guns and 12.8 pound anti-aircraft shells into the air at reported aircraft; over 1,400 shells would eventually be fired. Pilots of the 4th Interceptor Command were alerted but their aircraft remained grounded. The artillery fire continued sporadically until 4:14 am. The "all clear" was sounded and the blackout order lifted at 7:21 am.

Several buildings and vehicles were damaged by shell fragments. Five civilians died as an indirect result of the anti-aircraft fire: three of them were killed in car accidents in the ensuing chaos and two of heart attacks attributed to the stress of the hour-long action. The incident made front-page news along the U.S. Pacific coast, while earning some mass media coverage throughout the nation.

Modern day attempts have been made at recreating the exact conditions of the alleged air raid using live artillery, spot lights and weather balloons in order to debunk the image seen on the left. So far, each attempt has been deemed unsuccessful.

1947-08-07: The Roswell Incident

The Roswell Incident revolves around the claim that a UFO had crash landed on American soil. This possibility bore with it the profound implication that we, as an intelligent species, were no longer alone. This is the event that would spark a torrent of controversy nearly three decades after its occurrence. Two press releases containing testimony from military personnel would be submitted on this fateful day: the first would boldly proclaim that the United States was in possession of alien technology, while the second would be a statement of full-fledged denial.

In 1978, nuclear physicist and author Stanton T. Friedman interviewed Jesse Marcel, the only person known to have accompanied the Roswell debris from where it was recovered to Fort Worth where reporters saw material which was claimed to be part of the recovered object. The accounts given by Friedman and others in the following years elevated Roswell from a forgotten incident to perhaps the most famous UFO case of all time. By the early 1990s, UFO researchers such as Friedman had interviewed several individuals who had—or claimed to have had—a connection with the events at Roswell in 1947. Additionally, hundreds of documents were obtained via Freedom of Information Act requests, and some were supposedly leaked by insiders, such as the so-called Majestic 12 papers. Their conclusions were at least one alien craft had crashed in the Roswell vicinity, aliens—some possibly still alive—were recovered, and a massive cover-up of any knowledge of the incident was put in place.

1954-02-20: The Greada Treaty

On the night and early hours of February 20-21, 1954, while on a ‘vacation’ to Palm Springs, California, President Dwight Eisenhower went missing and allegedly was taken to Edwards Air force base for a secret meeting. When he showed up the next morning at a church service in Los Angeles, reporters were told that he had to have emergency dental treatment the previous evening and had visited a local dentist. The night and morning that the U.S. President went missing has subsequently fueled rumors that Eisenhower was using the alleged dentist visit as a cover story for an extraordinary event.

A handful of eye-witnesses have stepped forward -- Retired United States Air Force Officers -- to give testimony that on the night that President Eisenhower disappeared, his undocumented time was spent in the company of what are  commonly referred as the "Grey Aliens." He is speculated to have signed a treaty that, in exchange for alien technology, would allow the Greys to abduct and conduct experiments on a predetermined number of American citizens while extracting genetic material vital to their own species continued existence. The U.S. would also do everything that it could to keep the alien presence out of the sphere of public knowledge.

1961-09-20: The Hill Abduction
This is the first reported abduction in the United States.

According to a variety of reports given by the Hills, the alleged UFO sighting happened on September 19, 1961, at around 10:30 p.m. The Hills were driving back to Portsmouth from a vacation in Niagara Falls and Montreal, Quebec, Canada. There were only a few other cars on the road as they made their way home to New Hampshire's seacoast. Just south of Lancaster, New Hampshire, Betty claimed to have observed a bright point of light in the sky that moved from below the moon and the planet Jupiter, upward to the west of the moon. While Barney navigated U.S. Route 3, Betty reasoned that she was observing a falling star, only it moved upward, like a plane or a satellite. Since it moved erratically and grew bigger and brighter, Betty urged Barney to stop the car for a closer look, as well as to walk their dog, Delsey. Barney stopped at a scenic picnic area just south of Twin Mountain. Worried about the presence of bears, Barney retrieved a pistol that he had concealed in the trunk of the car.

Betty, through binoculars, observed an "odd shaped" craft flashing multicolored lights travel across the face of the moon. Because her sister had confided to her about having a flying saucer sighting several years earlier, Betty thought it might be what she was observing. Through binoculars Barney observed what he reasoned was a commercial airliner traveling toward Vermont on its way to Montreal. However, he soon changed his mind, because without looking as if it had turned, the craft rapidly descended in his direction. This observation caused Barney to realize, "this object that was a plane was not a plane." He quickly returned to the car and drove toward Franconia Notch, a narrow, mountainous stretch of the road.

The Hills claimed that they continued driving on the isolated road, moving very slowly through Franconia Notch in order to observe the object as it came even closer. At one point, the object passed above a restaurant and signal tower on top of Cannon Mountain. It passed over the mountain and came out near the Old Man of the Mountain. Betty testified that it was at least one and a half times the length of the granite cliff profile, which is 40 feet long, and that seemed to be rotating. The couple watched as the silent, illuminated craft moved erratically and bounced back and forth in the night sky. As they drove along Route 3 through Franconia Notch, they stated that it seemed to be playing a game of cat and mouse with them.

On November 25, 1961, the Hills were again interviewed at length by NICAP members, this time C.D. Jackson and Robert E. Hohman. Having read Webb's initial report, Jackson and Hohman had many questions for the Hills. One of their main questions was about the length of the trip. Neither Webb nor the Hills had noted that, though the drive should have taken about four hours, they did not arrive at home until seven hours after their departure. When Hohman and Jackson noted this discrepancy to the Hills, the couple had no explanation (a frequently reported circumstance in alleged alien abduction cases that some have called "missing time"). As Clark writes, despite "all their efforts the Hills could recall almost nothing of the 35 miles between Indian Head and Ashland. Although Betty's recall was somewhat fuller than Barney's, both were able to recall an image of a fiery orb sitting on the ground. Betty and Barney reasoned that it must have been the moon, but Hohman and Jackson informed them that the moon had set earlier in the evening.

The Hills would both undergo hypnosis therapy in an attempt to reveal any suppressed information concerning the event. One detail of particular interest was that Betty was able to produce an incredibly accurate drawing of a system that contained the star known as Zeta Reticuli. This, Betty claimed, was the system that her alien abductors had claimed as their point of origin.

"We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet."
- Stephen Hawking

Application

Abductee will begin with a small group of three to five players. This is for ease of management while retaining a fluidity in posting rate and quality. I am looking for experienced writers and role players with a genuine desire to contribute to the group's overall synergy. Due to the group's small size, I am optimistic that Abductee will attract enough applications to where a cast can be selected whose post length and integrity, in regards to content and coherency, will not be an issue.

While I intend to select a cast capable of policing the quality of their own posts, I do want to establish an enforceable posting rate. This can be discussed and fine-tuned once all the spots are filled. And, I understand that real life happens. If ─ and more likely when ─ a player needs extra time, we will find a way to make it work out for everyone.

The character application is split into three sections. The first section will be made publically visible upon being approved. This portion will consist of your character's name, apparent age and a physical description of one or more paragraphs. You may also submit a photo, but this is optional.

The second portion is a short questionnaire that only the GM and the applicant should have access to. There is obviously nothing the GM can do to prohibit players from exchanging information in private messages, but the applicants are encouraged to refrain doing this. Each questionnaire will be used to develop a unique psychological profile that will directly influence in-game events. Certain questions will require more descriptive answers than others. However, being as thorough as possible will provide for a much more interesting experience.

The third section will have a short writing prompt for your proposed character.

Section A

Name:

Apparent Age:

Physical Description:

Section B

*What is your character's occupation?

*What is your character's level of education?

*What is your character's actual age?

*How physically fit is your character?

*What is your character's relationship status?

*List your character's immediate or relevant family members.

*What are your character's most basic, primal phobias? (Ex. Heights, needles, spiders, water, enclosed spaces etc.)

*How comfortable is your character when in engaging in social interactions?

*Does your character have any chronic physical or mental ailments?

*Is your character religious?

*Does your character have any painful, or damning, secretes or repressed memories?

*Does your character have any negative physical or verbal emotional triggers? (Specifically ones that instigate feelings of rage, anxiety or helplessness.)

*What does your character draw comfort or strength from?

*What are desirable traits that your character seeks in a potential partner?

*Does your character have any fixation, romantic or otherwise, that is directed towards a celebrity or authority figure?

*Does your character have any chemical addictions?

*What is your character's favorite food?

Section C

Please provide a writing sample that gives a glimpse into the life of your proposed character. It could be a day at the office, or something a little more out of the ordinary like a birthday or an anniversary. It could be about their morning routine or their weekend rituals. The time frame could span key moments throughout an entire day, or one more detailed event. Whatever you choose to write about, just remember that your potential Abductee is just another human being who exists right now on the same planet as you. Have fun and don't be afraid to give those literary muscles a little flexin'.

Please feel free to respond with thoughts or questions in this thread, or in a PM.

**If you do feel so inclined as to draft an application, please make sure to submit it via PM!**

surrealobsession

You know I'm in. I will get in my app over the weekend. ;)
HEALING HAS BEEN SLOW, STILL RECOVERING, SORRY! I AM HOPING TO BE BACK SOON...I HAVEN'T FORGOTTEN YOU GUYS!<3<3

Horror, Science Fiction, Originals and Fandoms...UNDER CONSTRUCTION WITH UPDATE

Bedroom Lazarus

Allright, psyching myself up for a little sci fi horror enjoyment.  I too should be able to cobble something together over the weekend.  Looking forward to it Vill.
Passion is something no man can resist eternally.
Temptation will burn through a soul, devour its purity and intoxicate all those who are in its path.
Fret not oh lost little lamb, for you shall be led by the wolf with a cross to the green pastures promised you all the same. 
Open to ideas and messages

The Sins that Beckon Me

surrealobsession

Quote from: Bedroom Lazarus on February 13, 2014, 07:47:59 PM
Allright, psyching myself up for a little sci fi horror enjoyment.  I too should be able to cobble something together over the weekend.  Looking forward to it Vill.

Now, that is exciting news. ;)
HEALING HAS BEEN SLOW, STILL RECOVERING, SORRY! I AM HOPING TO BE BACK SOON...I HAVEN'T FORGOTTEN YOU GUYS!<3<3

Horror, Science Fiction, Originals and Fandoms...UNDER CONSTRUCTION WITH UPDATE

Question Mark

I'm in.  Count me down.  Whatever, you know what I mean!  I love horror and surrealism, especially where it concerns the mind and one's perception of reality.

Being a scientist, I've never had any great fascination with the paranormal, especially subjects that rely mostly on witness testimony.  However, this looks to be a great concept with a lot detail and, more importantly, a great GM at the head of it.  I once tried something similar -- a sci-fi/horror/suspense game supported by real life articles, images, etc. -- but it was not to be.  This, however, looks ready to go the distance.  You've obviously put a lot of thought into this, and I respect that.

I'll work up a character concept tonight or tomorrow.

Vill

Outstanding, Question Mark!

I can completely identify with your sentiments. I've been trained in hardcore empirical philosophy while my fondness towards continental literature has left me with a hefty dose of existential influence. With that being said: I find the paranormal to be interesting because it is a realm where empiricism flirts openly with cognitive dissonance. I promise that you will not be disappointed!

I look forward to your application, and as you've alluded to: my investment in my creation is easily said to reach the cliché of 110%. 

Question Mark

Quote from: Vill on February 15, 2014, 10:30:17 PM
With that being said: I find the paranormal to be interesting because it is a realm where empiricism flirts openly with cognitive dissonance.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Although...  perhaps I should rephrase my earlier statement.  I thoroughly enjoy the paranormal in a theoretical sense (such as through the vehicle of creative writing), but real life paranormal subjects tend to be big letdowns and so much less enthralling.  In a story or game, there's something so fascinating with having something happen that just doesn't make any empirical sense -- cognitive dissonance, as you said.

In real life, such dissonance is inevitably due to human error, human deception, or a flaw in the instrument, so it's more of a headache than a curiosity (remember the FTL neutrinos back in 2011?  What a mess).

Vill

The applications are all of an excellent caliber so far. We've got an interesting cast. I'm hoping we can attract one or two more players before we get started.

torawashi

Why hello there. :) I'm hoping to get an application in tomorrow. This sounds right up my alley. <3

Vill

Outstanding: just remember to submit it over PM. I look forward to giving it a read.

Bedroom Lazarus

This should be an interesting write for me.  This isn't my usual genre, nor my usual type of character but then, re-inventing yourself is half the joy of these kind of experiences.
Passion is something no man can resist eternally.
Temptation will burn through a soul, devour its purity and intoxicate all those who are in its path.
Fret not oh lost little lamb, for you shall be led by the wolf with a cross to the green pastures promised you all the same. 
Open to ideas and messages

The Sins that Beckon Me

Vill

Frelance

If you still looking for more players I will work up a characters sheet over the weekend. This game looks interesting and I look forward to seeing how it works out.
Evolution is an arms race

Vill

Feel free to submit an application over a PM when it is complete. There isn't any sort of specific character we are looking for. We do have a 2 to 1 ration of men to women, but this is irrelevant if you decide to apply as a male character. Just make sure to be as thorough in answering the questionnaire as possible: character flaws are encouraged!  ;)

Frelance

Quote from: Vill on February 20, 2014, 02:48:47 PM
Feel free to submit an application over a PM when it is complete. There isn't any sort of specific character we are looking for. We do have a 2 to 1 ration of men to women, but this is irrelevant if you decide to apply as a male character. Just make sure to be as thorough in answering the questionnaire as possible: character flaws are encouraged!  ;)
Sweet, I will submit it once its done and there were will definitely be a few flaws to his character. I am just doing a bit of research into some biohacks to see if they could fit this before I get started on the character sheet.

Vill

I'm pretty open to receiving suggestions: but, to help your chances of having them approved, please attach and real world articles that prove and explain their existence. It's gonna have to be really convincing. A major part of the game's premise is that all the characters are just normal people like you and I.

Frelance

Sounds good. I am doing the research to figure out what is possible. So far it looks like most of whats out there is just for people who want to screw around with magnetic fields which can be very useful but the technology needs to be developed more before they are much more useful.

Vill

Yeah, something like that would, unfortunately, be way out of the realm of possibilities for a character in this game. Think more along the lines of your average Joe, or plain Jane.

Frelance

Cryptic

If you are still accepting applications, I'll join in. I'll send the app in after I think something up for a character!
What Makes A Cryp-Tic (O/Os)
"All men were made by the Great Spirit Chief. They are all brothers." ~Chief Joseph
Cryptic's Little Shop Of Mysteries (Requests)NOT CURRENTLY LOOKING
"I have decided to stick with love. Hate is too great a burden to bear." ~Martin Luther King Jr.
A/A's
“If we have no peace, it is because we have forgotten that we belong to each other.” ~Mother Teresa

Vill

Out standing! This will round the numbers out nicely and we can finally get started.

Vill

The game is underway and will no longer be accepting applications.