Interest Check - Summoner

Started by Dark Deception, September 10, 2010, 03:25:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dark Deception

No, not THE summoner, but the idea I had involved a summoner--a girl to be exact. She has the ability to summon champions and no one is really sure where these champions come from, the only answer is something as broad as magic. She is on a journey improve her powers so that she can summon more. Because this idea is in brainstorm mode currently, the idea I have for it may seem a bit weak, but I am open to read ideas from any who think they may seem interested in this as long as those ideas are relevant.

So far, I was thinking that there was some dark army that has taken over her land and she was forced to flee her kingdom in order to protect her gift so that the dark king cannot use it. So yes, she is a summoner princess and almost priestess with the way she uses her magic. She can heal others, put souls to rest, almost like Yuna from FFX except 1) she's not destined to die, 2) her guardians are her summons, and 3) she knows a decent amount of self-defense to make her a formidable opponent even without the use of her summons. However, she would only summon a guardian if ever she feels the enemy is a bit too much for her.

The summons, aka guardians, are actually champions from other realities and universes. Once kidnapped, they don't exactly remember who they were before. They only know the present duty bestowed upon them and that is to protect the summoner. Summons can be human and non-human. I want everyone to stick to a medieval/ high-fantasy idea when it comes to writing what your champion looks like: anthropomorphous, monsters, dragons, humans, elf, demons, angels, etc.

Don't Want: Aliens, droids, ghosts, gods, or anything science fiction.

Every champion will have a limit, and so we don't want anyone god-moding. The relationship a summoner has with her summons is pure duty. The summons is to obey whatever the summoner requests, and it is forbidden for a summoner to offer anything to a summons. A summoner must never offer shelter, food, water, or even show any sort of affection to her summons. The consequence is that the summons will acquire freewill and she will no longer be able to command him or her or even un-summon them. They will become their own person and remain in her world.

Summons that are still summons, however, cannot die. Once they take a fatal blow, they are automatically de-summoned until hailed again. A summon that has gained freewill though can die.

When people decide to create a champion, I want them to choose a believable class for their champion so we don't have a champion running around claiming to specialize in everything. By class I mean: mage, thief, assassin, warrior, knight, scout, paladin, etc. If your class is something weird that you think I may ask you to explain it, then don't try using it. It'll just make things complicated. If we get too many people signing up for one class, then I'm going to put a limit on that class.

The summoner in this RP I want to be female. I also haven't decided if I want her to have guardians that aren't just entirely summons. To have actual human guardians that are trained to protect her. I would want those guardians to be all female if so and they were responsible for sneaking her out of the palace when the army struck. There exist other summoners in this world, but unlike the other summoners, this summoner eventually chooses not to abide by law, which is to never offer a summons anything. She believes that summons are people too and would rather choose to treat them as such rather than weapons of war. Her guardians are against her ideas, but there isn't much they can do since she's a princess and their only duty is to protect her.

Feel free to throw some ideas out there since this is only an interest check. Before I would ever consider making this an actual RP is I need someone to play the main character (the summoner) and maybe three players to play her human guardians. But yeah, share with me what you think and mind you, I got a Taurus personality so be patient with me lol.

Currently involved in: 6 role plays

Senel Coolidge

Hi there Deception (can I call you Dark?), seems like you have the start of an interesting idea here. Color me intrigued.

You mentioned in the beginning that the summoner is on a journey to improve her powers so that she can one day reclaim her lost throne, would the Dark Army be sending summoners of their own to stop her? It changes things if there are a few summoners running around with a common goal, perhaps even interfering with one another in an effort to make themselves the ones to inherit the strongest Summons. Is there a big bad that the Summoner is training to take on, like say the lord of the Dark Army? Or is it a more political struggle that the Summoner is becoming involved in, like being used by rival lords or kings against one another in exchange for the troops she will need to reclaim her lost territory? I realize that you said the idea isn't fleshed quite yet, but I am interested in what kind of story this would come out to be.

The dark army that has taken over the land must have strong warriors or summoners of their own if they managed to stomp out the Summoner's own defenders so easily. That said, rallying the remnants of her shattered army would likely accomplish very little. What kind of tone would the beginnings of the story take? I suppose that is up to the whims of the Summoner herself as her Guardians are there only for protection. Would the story open up with the dramatic escape from her own realm and the summoning of her first Guardian or do you have something else in mind?

---

So, I am interested but I have some more questions (Ignores groaning) about the type of Guardian you would prefer I make. I am thinking right now about a lightly armored Greatswordsman, essentially a down to earth human Infanteer known in his own realm for heroically holding a castle under siege from hundreds of enemies with only fifty defenders. No magic, no special abilities, just a maneuverable and quick heavy hitter. Just a short concept for now, but in the meantime I will work on fleshing him out some more.

Do the summons themselves become stronger due to the talents of the Summoner herself? Like say radiating a magical aura or materializing impossibly sized weapons and armor? Are the Summons larger than their native race would suggest via power boost or some such, or do they remain the same scale and skill as they were prior to being summoned?

Well, I hope we can generate some more interest. This'll be my first RP on E.  :-)

Dark Deception

You mentioned in the beginning that the summoner is on a journey to improve her powers so that she can one day reclaim her lost throne, would the Dark Army be sending summoners of their own to stop her?

The Dark Army will have acquired summoners that they either forced to serve them or the summoners decided to be traitors and chose to serve the Dark King in order to save their own ass.

It changes things if there are a few summoners running around with a common goal, perhaps even interfering with one another in an effort to make themselves the ones to inherit the strongest Summons.

It doesn't change things at all. Being able to summon a champion and getting a strong champion is pure chance. A summoner doesn't really know who or what they are summoning into their world. Once it's summoned, then that summons is theirs until that summoner dies or if they break the law and give a summons freewill and then he or she dies.

Is there a big bad that the Summoner is training to take on, like say the lord of the Dark Army? Or is it a more political struggle that the Summoner is becoming involved in, like being used by rival lords or kings against one another in exchange for the troops she will need to reclaim her lost territory?

The Dark King. The summoner (main character) that escapes is not just any summoner, she is princess of that kingdom and thus would be wanted dead because as long as she's alive, then the royal blood isn't exactly destroyed. She is simply trying to practice her magic so that she can summon champions strong enough to win her back her kingdom. Thus you see again why she's wanted. She's not only a princess but a summoner, which still endangers the throne of the dark king.

Would the story open up with the dramatic escape from her own realm and the summoning of her first Guardian or do you have something else in mind?

Yes, it would.

As for a type of summons I would want people to think about/consider, I don't recommend your character just being a plain-old human being from another realm because if she summoned a character like that against a platoon of dark knights or a dragon, a character like that wouldn't stand a chance. At least put some fantasy elements around your character. Something that makes that champion above the norm.

Do the summons themselves become stronger due to the talents of the Summoner herself? Like say radiating a magical aura or materializing impossibly sized weapons and armor? Are the Summons larger than their native race would suggest via power boost or some such, or do they remain the same scale and skill as they were prior to being summoned?

That is where your creative mind comes in. You decide what your champion will be. What he or she can do, etc. I did have an idea though that if the summoner ever summons a champion that is stronger than her or too strong for her that he or she won't listen to her and instead will do his or her own thing to get whatever she wants done. When the summoner becomes strong, she can summon more than one champion at the same time and can better win over their loyalty.

Ironwolf85

I was thinking of bringing Atennius Ezo, a Minotaur holy warrior. he's a heavy armored jugernaught with shield and heal abilities. Like all of his people, he is built on a body of testostrone, so e's agressive and tends to be a more domaneering character. concerned with what's right, but too bullheaded for his own good.
Prudence, justice, temperance, courage, faith, hope, love...
debate any other aspect of my faith these are the heavenly virtues. this flawed mortal is going to try to adhere to them.

Culture: the ability to carve an intricate and beautiful bowl from the skull of a fallen enemy.
Civilization: the ability to put that psycho in prision for killing people.

Dark Deception

Go ahead and post up a character sheet so we can check him out.  :-)

Ironwolf85

Name: Attenius Ezo

Race: Minotaur, his home world is one of greek myth, minotaur are rare, and few are intelligent, however, he was raised in the great city of Athens, and afforded an education. He has the distinction of being one of the few minotaur afforded citizanship. his race are usually slaves to their excessive amounts of testostrone, and this is what fuels their famious rages. Ezo is a champion because he can channel that rage properly, against monsters and enemies of the Athenian Republic. and remain relitively calm at other moments.

Apearance: a eight foot tal muscular man with the head of a bull, covered in tan fur with a pair of white horse jutting from his head, and azure blue eyes. He wears an ornate bronze chest plate, and spartian armor, though the color is blue and of an olive wreath on the cape. He carries a pillum spear, and axe, both made to his size.

Perks: herculean strengh, incredibly tough body, healing magics, suprisingly smart under all that muscle.

Drawbacks: Stubborn, Proud, Agressive, a bit slow on the draw.

Personality: Decipline and masculinity come to mind, The Bull was a symbol of male power and sexuality in greece, just as there were female symbols of power and sexuality in aphroditie. This means Ezo has a reputation to live up to, and rewards to reap by doing so. However he is loyal to his summoner, as if his loyality transfered over to her from his home city. He will obey without question, however once he's loose unsummoning im is a pain, as he wil fine the nearest woman of loose morals, and wine and enjoy himself once combat is over. a kind of greek victory party.
debate any other aspect of my faith these are the heavenly virtues. this flawed mortal is going to try to adhere to them.

Culture: the ability to carve an intricate and beautiful bowl from the skull of a fallen enemy.

Senel Coolidge

Oh! I suppose that makes sense. My little Infanteer would probably feel a bit silly standing beside a slavering Minotaur ready to tear the world apart. Alright, how about this then?

---

Name: Cynder

Race: Magi, a rare race of individuals from another universe/realm/dimension who serve as lightning rods for mana. While they do have an affinity for magic, mages and sorcerers are as rare in the race of the Magi as all others and Cynder himself is not one of them. The effect of this ability though is that their bodies tend to warp and change throughout their lives (Over long periods of time, not like morphing), developing personal abilities and quirks that shape their day to day lives and combat styles. The drawback for these perks though, is that any magic turned against their bodies is amplified in effectiveness tenfold. A simple lightning spell would strike the Magi, then continue to crackle through him until the mana stored up in his body were expended.

Cynder himself has changed physically in that He has an extremely hyper metabolism and generates an internal electrical charge that he can then use toward offencive attacks. He cannot fire out lighting bolts or anything quite so dramatic, but instead uses a style of martial arts that use his metal plated gloves, boots and quarterstaff to deliver the charge. He moves incredibly fast and wears no armor, but his hyper metabolism forces him to consume six times the average person's diet or become fatigued. His eyes seem to crackle with electricity and when kept well fed his speed and electric charge are a frightening sight to behold.

On top of that, Cynder's hair has changed and mutated into a kind of regenerating beast. Long purple hair kept in messy spikes and braids that reaches down to his knees and seems to have a will of it's own. Cutting it would do no good, as it simply grows back in a matter of minutes. Cynder seems oblivious to the huge, unkept and clearly magical mop on his head.

Perks: Martial Artist, Electrical Touch, Lightning Speed, Magi's Endurance

Drawbacks: Hyper Metabolism, Vulnerable to Magic, Voracious Appetite

Personality: Goodnatured and simple, Cynder is the type of person who would make friends with anyone regardless of their race or allegiance. He is/was a member of an order of peaceful monks in his own realm, who preached the value of all life. For this reason he can be a bit naive, and will leave his opponents alive if given any choice. He does not use bladed weapons, and will instead beat them unconscious or shock them senseless.

---

I hope this is more what you had in mind. Oh and don't worry, I am not a god-modder and will play fair at all times.  :-)

Ironwolf85

thanks for a better skeleton... I'm gonna edit mine

TheHangedOne

Count me interested. Will edit in a character sheet later.
A&A's and O&O's *Status: Here and there | Games: Aiming for punctuality*
"In prosperity, our friends know us; in adversity, we know our friends."
"In the ocean of knowledge, only those who want to learn will see the land."
"Before you roar, please take a deep breath."
Check out my poet tree!

LIAR

This looks like it can be really fun and I'm interested! Tagged so I may come back to it in the morning!

Luella

I'm interested to be the Princess' Human Guardian (Not summoned but trained to protect the Princess)

Name: Isabel Brix
Role: Human Guardian of the Princess
Hair: Dark brown
Eye Colour: Brown

Weapons/skill: Isabel is a trained archer, her skill is so great that she is able harness enough energy in her shots to kill or even knock a person out. She carries along a bow carved out of an ancient oak and enough arrows for her journey with the Princess. Some of her arrows are tipped with poison or sleeping drought. She has a hidden dagger tucked away in boot, only to be used when her arrows run out.

Strengths: Physical Endurance (has a limit, but is generally longer than most normal humans), sharp senses, sneak attacks

Weaknesses: She is still human, so she is susceptible to mortal injuries.

Personality: Isabel is a pretty much tough girl on the outside, but a softie on the inside. Her trainings have forced her to adopt a tough shell, barring her from showing any emotions, be it pain or sorrow. As a guardian to the Princess, she swore with her life to protect her liege and will do so till her very last breath. On certain occasions, Isabel can be overprotective to the Princess,and can be seen as a 'stuck-up' person, but that is due to her trainings of not trusting anyone but the Princess.

Background: Born and raised into a family of warrior men, her father insisted that she should join her five other brothers in their trainings even though she is a girl. The Brix family is famed over the land for their superb training of warriors and many of her ancestors have actually served the royal family and other nobles. When a request was sent all over the kingdom for a female warrior, Isabel jumped at the chance and was then placed under the royal family, to be the loyal guardian of the Princess.

Every time a child says, "I don't believe in fairies," there is a fairy somewhere that falls down dead ~James Matthew Barrie, Peter Pan

Dark Deception

If we get a princess, then I might consider actually doing this RP lol.

Luella

I don't mind being the Princess (I thought it will be played by you Dark Deception..Can I call you DD instead? ;D ... that's why I didn't take it)! If that's the case, I'll remove Isabel's profile and set up another new one for the Princess then.

But yet again, Isabel seems like a really spunky character to play with, it'll be such a waste to get rid of her. Nevertheless, I'll go ahead to set up the profile of the Princess first in the next post...and see which character gets your approval. May I ask what will you be playing as, DD?
Every time a child says, "I don't believe in fairies," there is a fairy somewhere that falls down dead ~James Matthew Barrie, Peter Pan

Luella

Name: Elizabella Ilaire Lancaster
Role:  Princess, Summoner
Hair: Dark brown, soft curls, mid-chest length
Eye Colour: Brown, flecks of gold denominating her royal status

Weapons/skill:
> Healing abilities (She is able to heal shallow wounds, but deeper ones tend to take a few sessions. She does that by channeling her energy into the wound, leaving the 'patient' in a state of stupor as she absorbs the pain into herself. This weakens her drastically, and she only uses them when there is a fatal injury. Other than than, shallow scrapes and cut, she has a few medical knowledge to aid the person.)

> Golden dagger with the Royal family crest
> Ability to summon guardians
> Ability to put one to permanent sleep - death ( Her 'death touch' will work only if the other party is willing, and is at peace with the world, only then she will be able to put the soul to rest. If the party resists, nothing will happen.)
> Moderate fighting/self-defense skills

Strengths:
> Her gifts ( Summoning, healing, death)
> Determination

Weaknesses:
> Mortal injuries
> Seeing her guardians as more than friends, forming close bonds that makes them hard to separate
> Trusting everyone she sees
> Clumsy

Personality:
Princess Elizabella is a outgoing person, wanting to know more about her gifts, the people she meets and especially her guardians. To her, everything is an opportunity and a challenge. She is willing to test her boundaries and always seeks ways to improve her gifts. Her only weakness is being too trusting of anyone she meets, she believes that everyone is not corrupted inside and there is some good left in them. Elizabella will try to help those in need, and hates her guardians to call her by her royal title. She is sometimes quite stubborn and daring. The Princess loves the outdoors and will gladly jump into the river rather than face her Royal Governess' etiquette classes.

Background:
Born to King Frederick Lancaster III and Queen Madelina Elisabertha Lancaster, Princess Elizabella Ilaire Lancaster was born under a lucky star, and was betrothed with gifts far unimaginable and so powerful that she is sometimes rumored to be blessed by the Priestess' Hand. As the only daughter and future heir to the throne, Elizabella grew up like a normal Princess, learning her royal duties and etiquette.

She was affectionately labeled as a naughty elf by the servants for her mischievous ways. There is nothing young Elizabella liked to do than playing harmless pranks on her ladies-in-waiting and footmen, to the dismay of her Royal Governess. Elizabella also has to train for her gifts, but many of her teachers secretly took notes and studies of her powers, they have nothing to teach to her because her powers come naturally to her, as if she had been training to handle them since birth.

When she turned 17, there was a mystical storm brewing between the lands of her Kingdom and the other realm. The Dark King had decided to invade and destroy the Kingdom in search of the rumored powerful 'Little Summoner' to join his Dark Army, and then using their powers to rule the world.

One night, they attacked. Princess Elizabella was forced to flee with her guardians into places unknown, territories unexplored and far, far away from home. The Princess know her sole duty is to reclaim her Kingdom under her name and master her Summoning, and finally face the Dark King and take back what is rightfully hers.

-----end profile-----

I do hope that is somewhat you have imagined of the Summoner, if anything seem to be drastically deviated from your original plotline, please let me know and I'll make the necessary changes. Now, I apologize,it's time for some Q&A session *again* ! *throws tomatoes and cabbages at Lulu*

1) If the Princess is to flee the kingdom and heads to lands unknown,should a map of the lands to serve as a visual aid be set up? Eg. (kingdom)---(forbidden forest)----(Ice Land)---(The Dark Realm).

2) I am totally loving this storyline, it's like a fantasy/medieval adventure story I like to read as a child! <--- sorry, that is a compliment, not a question!

3) When a summoner summons a summon (heh!)...what usually happens? A flash of light and the summon appears like in pokemon?

4) Does the summoner have something special to help her summon her summons? eg. an amulet, a scepter, a chant/spell?

5) Is summoning mentally draining, how is the process like? Will it drain her physically?

That is all I think...not too many questions I hope!

Dark Deception

I really wasn't expecting to do this RP any time soon. So, if you want to take this idea as your own, you are free to do so. Right now, I can't GM it because I got 8 RPs going already and I don't want anymore. So you are free to use this idea or in the distant future, when my RPs conclude, and I got nothing else to do, I can return to this and another idea I tried to do.