Pixelbook - Help?

Started by Wistful Dream, May 21, 2018, 07:14:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wistful Dream

Looking for some feedback. I just got a Pixelbook this last Saturday and was absolutely in love with the ability to use it as both a drawing tablet and a laptop - not to mention how crazy fast it is at like everything. But unfortunately I've run into a few things that cause concern and I'm hoping for some feedback.

• Sound - The audio is generally pretty good quality but every so often when I'm playing music there is this crackling, popping ish sound that makes me worry the speakers are blowing out. This is apparently something that's been happening for a few months now according to some Google forums I've been reading.
  • Heat - I've had several moments of noticing the heat coming off the battery area, which with the sound makes me a bit nervy. I like to write with my laptop in my lap, but some research I've done explained that with the Pixelbook's venting area being so small this can cause issues so I'm only using it on flat surfaces now as a laptop. But when I am using it in tablet mode it heats up as well and that worries me.
  • Battery Life - Honestly... it bites. I loved my little Samsung Chromebook which can still go for six or more hours regardless of being several years old at this point. The Pixelbook is suppose to get 10 hours, from what the store said, but I get at most maybe four and that's just running things like Chrome, Discord and Hangouts.

I'm debating if I should return it or not, as the heat, sound and battery life all make me nervous that it's not going to last and Best Buy doesn't offer a warranty on the product. No idea why that is. I've been looking at other options but there's just so many out there and a lot of the reviews say the Pixelbook is suppose to be awesome so am I just having too high of expectations?

Other laptop's I've considered are:

• Samsung Chromebook Pro - though the reviews seem to hate on the keyboard while the screen is gorgeous and the pen seems a lot better than the Pixelbook's for responsiveness.
  • Lenovo Yoga 920 - Is a little more pricey than I'd like from what I've seen, and the reviews are a bit mixed.
  • Surface Book 2 - I'll be honest, I've enjoyed having the Chrome OS because it's not Windows 10 but the reviews are pretty strong as far as using it for a drawing tablet though the fact that the pen and keyboard are sold separately adds to the price.

Syene

That does sound worrisome.  :-(

I have a Samsung Chromebook Pro and I am quite fond of it. I personally don't have any complaints about the keyboard but I don't use the stylus a whole lot, so I can't speak to that.

I've had it for about a year and I'm currently getting just over 6 hours while watching Netflix with bluetooth headphones and the brightness at about 2/3rds max. Not sure how that compares to Discord and Hangouts but I can't imagine the load would be much heavier than that.

I usually use it with a lap desk so I don't know how hot it gets on a soft surface, but it's typically only slightly warm.
[tr][td]
[/td][td][/td][/tr][tr][td][/td][td][/td][/tr]
[/table]
[tr][td]
[/td][/tr][tr][td][/td][/tr][/table]

Wistful Dream

Thank you for the feedback, lovely. <3

I ended up just investing in a desktop.