Axiom -- .oO^Oo. -- {OOC Musings}

Started by ClockworkShadow, July 16, 2011, 01:01:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ClockworkShadow

Automaton rough draft ^^;;

I know I said that there wasn't a way to fully transfer a human's Libir and soul into an artificial form... and that's still, technically true.  There is, presently, no known way for one human to manipulate another's Libir essence to do so (on Nu Logikus, anyway).  However, I was thinking of Tim Burton's 9 earlier, and a concept hit me (a bit abruptly) on something that could tie to people back to their pre-automatonic history.  I've dropped tiny hints about a much more mystical life that preceded their societal evolution - like the names of the moons, and the associated name of the great Mena's Gasir.  I've also based the name of the village on the root of "refuge."

Feedback would be absolutely adored on how executable the concept might be?

Name: Proto Menamia
{proh ' toh   mehn ' ah ' mee ' ah}

Type: Nu Logikir

Species: Automaton

Position: presently, n/a; was created outside of the boundaries of Mena's Gasir

Associated Gender: Female

Age of Construct: 4 orusum

Associated Age of Sentience: young adult, between 20 and 30 orusum

Chyklos of Sentience: 9th; 3rd day

Height: 165 cm (about 5' 6")

Physical Description: Though somewhat-dulled and in disrepair, it would be obvious, to anyone, that Proto Menamia is the lovingly-kraphted mastir-piece of her creator.  Her body is made, entirely, of the finest, stain-proofed pherorganik; it must have taken most of her creator's lifetime to afford it.  Upon careful observation, one would notice that her "limbs" have been connected with ball joints, which should have once increased the smoothness of her range of motion; they desperately need to be oiled. 

Upon further observation, one would find that her backplate has been installed with three steam-valves aligned along the slope of her "shoulders," and they curve, approximately parallel,  alongside her carefully-jointed spine.  Shaped to her exoskeletal shell, they connect to a miniature boiler located in the approximate region of a human's stomach.  Mould-cast, solid gears appear to have interacted in a precisely-timed fashion on either side of the underlying furnace, to operate a miniature bellows.  The air from the bellows would have pumped oxygen into the furnace, encouraging the flame therein to consume organik, and heat the boiler.  The boiler would, then, have generated the necessary pressure to operate her internal workings, as well as the gears that connected to - and seem to have worked - the bellows.  The steam therefrom would have, then, exited through the valves.

Truly, when she had been fully operative, she must have been a most magnificent sight to behold.

Character History: The elder, bent-backed human toiled and tinkered away; a tear slipped from his eye as some unknown, saddening thought occured to him.  After a moment, however, he grit his jaw, banished the terrible thought from his mind, and continued to focus on his skillful Shaping of her body.

He'd never known where he got the ability to mould metals like he did; no one else in the outlying village of Rephugim shared any talent of a similar nature.  His hands ran over each length of pherorganik, and it responded to his touch, much like wood to sandpaper; he reflected that he should have found a woman to settle with, if only to have passed his gift on to a child.  Yet one's Libir was full of regret, he also reflected; that was merely the way things were, and, in some ways, it was a twisted way of enriching one's mortal experiences.  It had not been his Fate to love any female, though; none, that is, except for her.

With the gentlest of touches, he ran his fingertips over her Shaped cheek-ridges.  She was almost ready.  Only one thing remained...

Slowly, he opened the gilt-edged, hand-carved box.  It was ancient, even older than the lady that had given it to him.  It's contents were, quite possibly, even older still.  As he parted the folds of the mysteriously soft cloth - and rubbed his fingertips over the trinket kept therein - his memory briefly caressed upon the recalled visage of the old Tradakir.

"You do not remember a time before Them, little one, but I do.  In some ways, Their coming has been for the better, but the time must come that the people Remember.  You... you will not see this time, but you will be a catalyst for its arrival.  When the time is right to use this..." She pressed the ornate box into his then-little hands before continuing, "you will know."

"Maedir Menamia..." he whispered, glancing down at the hemispherical device now resting in the palm of his hand, "You were the last of your kind.  May the future yet, someday, rebirth another in your image."  He lowered his head, eyes closed, as he paced his breathing against the pain that had increased over the years, and now wracked his physical form.  "I will Name her for you.  It is all that I can do; all that is left within me to give."

He grit his jaw as resolve for what he knew he must do took over.  For a final time, he glanced over the parchments of the Lore concerning the device, rolled them tight, and then stored them away in a carefully-hidden compartment along the inside of her "thigh."

Then he clasped the device into the place he had specially crafted for it, centered between the metal he'd shaped to represent collar bones, at the apex of her "sternum."  Once the transfer had taken place, it was written that the device would flare with an intense heat that would fuse it to her structure.  This way, it could never be removed.

For several moments, he sat there.  It was less that he was reluctant to take the final step; he just wished that he could be there to guide and to guard her.  However, she would not be without this necessity... this sacrifice.  So - with a caress that trailed down from the lovingly-polished skull, down the side of her "face," to rest, momentarily, beneath the gently-moulded chin - he dropped his hand to depress the three sections of the device in the correct order.

A blinding, opaque, green glow flashed from the device, yet he stared intently; determined that she would be the last image imprinted upon his mind.

It only took a few seconds, and yet the lapse of time was the true essence of eternal, in his perception.  He felt his Libir being succored from his body, like a newborn lamb to its mother's milk.  In his last moment, he wondered if she would ever know.

"Menamia... I've come home..."

A/A

^ zee-oh-em-gee, it has an update ^
I am back... sort of.  I'm trying, anyway.
o_O

Haloriel

Character Concept:

Character Appearance in 'Plainclothes' and 'Formalwear':

Name: Julianne 'Jules' Morgenstern

Family: Konvant Morgenstern; 'noble'.

Role: Formatirum/Konvant Manipulators

History:  Jules' family are of the well known Ikaoi(life) Daomasu and Saokei(metal) Daomasu Masters, and among the humans, the Morgensterns could be called upper 'gentry'.  Her father, Julius, is the present Magir, being the seven-hundredth of that title.  Not all of the Morgenstern are able to manipulate Formatirum; those that do not tend to go into trade.  Jules is the third of her family history to have any true skill in working both the Ikaoi and Saokei at a near equal rate -- though the cost for such means that she often sleeps twice as long as any other formatirum master, also requiring to exercise and consume more nutrients than most.  She does not appear to age faster than any other human.  She has two younger brothers, one younger sister, and quite the range of cousins.

It is presumed that she will take her father's place as head of the family.

Written Description:

Rather long hair in a soft brunette is styled in an elegant coiffure that enhances her classically lovely face.  A few stray tendrils curl over one of her sculpted cheekbones. Her green gaze hold a certain fire in the eyes that seems to bely a strange detachment to all - at least for a human. 

Jules' attire is nearly the best quality available, tending to be earth tones, blacks, jewel tones. Her hands appear neatly manicured with an understated elegance.  Her ears are pierced only with the smallest gems, that are often used to store extra formatirum, matching the rings upon her hands.  A top hat usually rests on top of her head, with a delicately crafted steam powered monocle, as one of many ever present gadgets.  She is fond of her dual steam revolvers, holding a Class B License to carry them.  A heavy cane-sword is often resting in her right hand.

The lady favours long frock coats with well pressed breeches or long pants with tall, neatly shined boots.  A cravat generally rests in tied in the most fashionable 'mathematical'.  At times, a book or two can be noted near, along with a half moon pair of reading spectacles enhanced with formatirum.

Here is my attempt for you, Clockwork.  I'd equate her family as 'noble' to a very, very modest barony or viscountcy as far as influence/wealth.  They'd be far more known as Formatirum Masters.

ClockworkShadow

Sweet. :)  Thanks for posting it here.  I will make sure I get right on top of proofing it just as soon as I sneak in a nap.   Long day of babysitting :D

--

Thanks for such a marvelous effort regarding the terminology!  It shows that you took the time to have read this to such an in-depth measure.  I'm so happy ^^;;

Talk to you soon, Haloriel :)

A/A

o_O

Idariel

Dear Clockwork,
   I have been browsing your Final Draft, OOC musings, and Launched sites. I read over the posted characters to see what you are looking for.

Keimun Reigumon's picture is fantastic, and his background story is delightful. He's also chosen the Japan-themed continent!!!  Very well written, Lord Johnny. It gave me a much better feel for the world then I had before!

Julianne 'Jules' Morgenstern
is also delightful though she chose the other world! Which brings me to a question … Usually I ask Haloriel to proof read my stories, and vice versa. Do let us know if certain plots will be put into effect that would be diminished if we shared stories before the two worlds collided!

Teisei Asomun, whose background story is wonderful and fills me with questions … but is also cleverly crafted to not give too much away! Nicely done, Clockwork! And I am pleased you will have a character on the Japan-themed continent.

Proto Menamia's background story is so very sad! And what on earth are you hinting at??  This one is also yours, and plays on the Victorian side.

I am thinking of a young woman of Paramnar, still bound to her clan. For me, though I love the notion of Victorian gowns and lovely robots (I LOVE robots), the Kimono won. I just … couldn't resist that aesthetic and tradition.

I would like her to have skills in herbal remedies, acupuncture/pressure, massage therapy, and tei ikaoi (The Tai Chi). My goal is for her to be a Healer, and use the Ikaoi Daomasu - Life Manipulation - (a moderately advanced mastery pertaining to the ability to sense, then gently encourage, then actively redirect a human subject's natural static electricity (chi) ).

What would fascinate me, if there is a way, is for her to be able to mend things. To be able to sew up a wound in a fashion that it would not scar, and would heal fast; to be able perhaps to likewise mend silk kimonos, perhaps organics? I did not see an energy manipulation for that sort of thing, unless I went with Meilar Daomasu - Wood Manipulation (a journeyman mastery pertaining to objects that contain a percentage of wood; low- to mid-level mastery involves the extraction of quantities above 50 percent) and sub-mastery: Meilaoi Daomasu - Growth Manipulation (a journeyman mastery pertaining to anything that would be the equivalent of Earth's term "flora") which would have the added benefit of adding to the quality of her herb and kitchen gardens. Perhaps some day she could even learn how to mend armor, and eventually Automatons! Who knows?

I have found a picture that I just LOVE … I would really like to use it. I have not yet found answers to what the marks on her forehead are, unless they are clan-specific, and speak of her lineage or ownership.

If these basic mechanics seem to you like they will work, I will concentrate on her family and character. How much of her family are you interested in seeing? Should I populate a whole clan? Just her immediate family? A three generation family tree? With these goals and the very lovely picture, where would she fit socially? Here is the picture I found.  I used Tinypics and chose the Bulletin board code and size; please let me know if that was not the correct thing to do!

"Visualize your dream
Record it in the present tense-Put it into a permanent form
If you persist in your efforts-You can achieve dream control."

-Silent Lucidity by Queensryche, the spoken words.

~ONs & OFFs~ | ~Apologies & Absences~ | ~Introduction~ | ~Oath of Drake~
~Axiom Thread~ | ~Idariel's Flights of Fancy~ | ~Idariel's Story Teller's Thread~

ClockworkShadow

Keimun Reigumon's picture is fantastic, and his background story is delightful. He's also chosen the Japan-themed continent!!!  Very well written, Lord Johnny. It gave me a much better feel for the world then I had before!

Johnny's been my most faithful participant through the creation of Axiom, before it ever became this hyper-detailed giant.  He's been very busy lately, but hopes to have to time to come back to play soon. :)  I feel quite safe to publically admit that his character (even before we worked together, in PMs, to edit in the asian themes) was a very large inspiration behind the creation and implementation of Paramnar.

Julianne 'Jules' Morgenstern
is also delightful though she chose the other world! Which brings me to a
question … Usually I ask Haloriel to proof read my stories, and vice versa. Do let us know if certain plots will be put into effect that would be diminished if we shared stories before the two worlds collided!

You have made a more-than-ample impression that you are capable of keeping OOC and IC knowledges separate.  My admiration of you already knows no bounds, miLady.  Also, if Johnny's absence must continue (though I'm sure he wishes otherwise), I may have to adapt certain plans that I had for him to balance between myself and you, provided that you would be intrigued by such responsibility in the evolution of the plot. :)

QuoteTeisei Asomun, whose background story is wonderful and fills me with questions … but is also cleverly crafted to not give too much away! Nicely done, Clockwork! And I am pleased you will have a character on the Japan-themed continent.

<blushes profusely>

Your compliments are very heartwarming, miLady.  My interest is quite piqued, concerning your questions.  It has always been my plan to have a primary character involved in each of the two story-arcs.  And I have encountered the possible need to create profiles for a few more, secondary and tertiary, support-role characters.

QuoteProto Menamia's background story is so very sad! And what on earth are you hinting at??  This one is also yours, and plays on the Victorian side.

"All things must end, and, from that ending, something new (and magnificent) invariably begins."

Perhaps it is not a direct quote, but it is close enough to get my point across. :)

My ideas for the sub-plots enriching the Nu Logikan story-arc are clamoring into existence much more rapidly than the ones concerning Paramnar.  Yet, curiously enough, they seem to have the potential to interact with that otherwise-entirely-separate "world."  Since you are presently in contact with Haloriel by other means, you are more than welcome to inquire of what I have shared with her, on this premise. :)

QuoteI am thinking of a young woman of Paramnar, still bound to her clan. For me, though I love the notion of Victorian gowns and lovely robots (I LOVE robots), the Kimono won. I just … couldn't resist that aesthetic and tradition.

This is also why I had to create two primary characters.  Not only is it my responsibility, as a GM, to be in the thick of each plot development, but the inspiration for these worlds - while vastly different from each other - each share a very special place in my heart.

And as for the robots... I'm a child experiencing Yule/Christmas/Hannukah every time I am around one of them, or am lucky enough to be at a convention.  I can't possibly describe the elation I experience when I even have the resources and opportunity to build one.

I had sensed we were, quite likely, birds of a feather, and this has affirmed that suspicion rather nicely. :)

QuoteI would like her to have skills in herbal remedies, acupuncture/pressure, massage therapy, and tei ikaoi (The Tai Chi). My goal is for her to be a Healer, and use the Ikaoi Daomasu - Life Manipulation - (a moderately advanced mastery pertaining to the ability to sense, then gently encourage, then actively redirect a human subject's natural static electricity (chi) ).

What would fascinate me, if there is a way, is for her to be able to mend things. To be able to sew up a wound in a fashion that it would not scar, and would heal fast; to be able perhaps to likewise mend silk kimonos, perhaps organics? I did not see an energy manipulation for that sort of thing, unless I went with Meilar Daomasu - Wood Manipulation (a journeyman mastery pertaining to objects that contain a percentage of wood; low- to mid-level mastery involves the extraction of quantities above 50 percent) and sub-mastery: Meilaoi Daomasu - Growth Manipulation (a journeyman mastery pertaining to anything that would be the equivalent of Earth's term "flora") which would have the added benefit of adding to the quality of her herb and kitchen gardens. Perhaps some day she could even learn how to mend armor, and eventually Automatons! Who knows?

I cut off the list of manipulations where it is because I already felt that Axiom was burgeoning into such an epic existence as to overwhelm.  This is not to say that I am not (very) interested in further expanding it if you have an idea for another sub-manipulation.  I love player-inspired additions to a theme.  That's why I've encouraged people to continue creating their own unique terminology, based upon the precepts that I used in the existing glossary. :)

I'm also a very interactive GM.  I don't just specify the guidelines and throw them out there, expecting people to sink or swim.  Nay, for I jump right in, and am as hands-on of a "swimming instructor" as each person is comfortable with. <3

As far as mending is concerned, I love the idea, and would be delighted to see what you would make of it.  Perhaps your character discovered a particular anomaly, unique to her, while she was learning the Meilar and Meilaoi Daomasui, and she found an additional aspect when she merges the abilities in a particular fashion?  If she came from a Meilarma or Meilaoima Primary clan, this could also enhance the particulars of the situation.  There are plenty of potential concepts to negotiate, that would balance this anomaly quite well.  I am very curious to see what you would make of the potential manipulation-consequences.

QuoteI have found a picture that I just LOVE … I would really like to use it. I have not yet found answers to what the marks on her forehead are, unless they are clan-specific, and speak of her lineage or ownership.

The picture is amazing.  I'll leave you with a choice: to figure out what sort of meaning the markings might have, or have me to graphic edit the picture so that she appears exactly as she is, except without the markings.  If you opt for the first choice, I would be interested to read what you come up with, and in probably implementing the concept into entire Paramnarma culture.

QuoteIf these basic mechanics seem to you like they will work, I will concentrate on her family and character. How much of her family are you interested in seeing? Should I populate a whole clan? Just her immediate family? A three generation family tree?

I would like to encourage you to be as detailed with her origins and support character concepts as you would feel so inclined to contribute, my Lady. :)  In remaining with her Clan, is she Beholden to another, therein, or has she managed to escape the bonds of the Paramnarma take on marriage?  (Either is entirely viable, mind you).  Is she presently in a student and/or apprentice capacity to her family, thereby delaying the necessity of her being Beholden to someone?

Hopefully that is sufficient enough to spark another one of your lovely brainstorming processes. :)

QuoteWith these goals and the very lovely picture, where would she fit socially? Here is the picture I found.  I used Tinypics and chose the Bulletin board code and size; please let me know if that was not the correct thing to do!

All Paramnari are quite skillful with energy manipulation, and tend to know, instinctively, how to keep from pushing the boundary of consequences too far.  There are, of course, always exceptions to every rule.  However, for the most part, it's a pretty static theme.  That being said, take the White Wolf merit/flaw system into consideration.  If you want to enhance her abilities beyond the average Paramnaran, then all I need you to do is legitimately balance it out. :)  There are no actual rules, or points guidelines, concerning said merits/flaws.  I trust your creative judgement. :)

While she would be expected to adhere to the same standards as any other, female Paramnaran (subservient, objectified, etc.), I see plenty of (subtle) rule-bending potential with her.  If you let me edit her picture so that her eyebrows were white (like her hair), she'd really appear to be albino.  This could have been a genetic circumstance, or a manipulation consequence.  I'll leave that choice up to you, as well.

There's also the consideration of the genetic predisposition to lose one's hair pigmentation at an early age.  Anne McCaffrey's Rowan comes to mind (I was obsessed with her books, as a teenager, and especially that series).  She could be the next generation of a particular strain... actually... what just popped in my head was that she could be one of the Param's direct relatives.  While not all of the ruling family would be predisposed to early pigmentation loss, and/or being albino, that could very easily make her that much more of a sacred individual (in their belief system), and possibly privy to particularly sensitive information...

Hmm...

I'm very curious to see where you take this. :)

A/A

o_O

Haloriel

Which reminds me.  I'd love to style a group game around the Rowan series sometime, if anyone has interest for the 'other' section of the forums.  ~cough~

ClockworkShadow

<chuckles>  So much for subtle hints ;)

I'd be intrigued. :)  Though, to be clear, my GMing energies are fully devoted to Axiom. :3

A/A

o_O

Idariel

Dear Clockwork,

My return post to you was SO long and SO confusing that even I couldn't follow it. I have chosen to break it up into FOUR posts.

Character Decisions
World Building Questions
World Building Answers
Everything Else

Character Decisions
   I do appreciate your taking the time to walk me through this part; its so important for a character to have depth, and that means answering these little details …

As to energy Manipulations – I like your idea of her mastering a unique sub-specialty!  I will go wrestle with your naming rules and see if I can come up with a name you like. I am so glad you like the idea of her mending things! I will look up your Meilarma or Meilaoima clan and I am sure to use that idea, too.

I have several ideas in mind for her consequences!
   First, what I'd like to do is to have some of what she's mending get into her fingers. It would  take a little bit heal up; not too long, perhaps a d3 (one three sided die) hours or so. That will make for really good descriptions and cause her to hesitate, not just indiscriminately fix it all.
   Second, I will make her develop a sensitivity to and fondness for whatever/whoever she heals. If she fixes a Kimono, she doesn't -want- to give it back, and she'll be furious if it is mistreated or torn again!
   Third, if she tries to mend too many items different in nature from each other too close together (while the other substance is still floating about her body), she has a chance of 'mixing' the elements … she might get a swath of red silk kimono in the middle of your battle armor, or a touch of plant stem in your arm! Eewww! But fun.
   I have not yet worked out 'critical fail' consequence or an 'over channeling' consequence, but I definitely will have at least a general theme for each of those for you by the time my character is ready to be submitted.

Isn't that picture lovely? I'm so excited that I found it!
   I definitely like the Imperial relative idea; her markings could be caste-origin; I am leaning towards a Hindi-inspired notion where placement is caste and the actual design reflects her magical powers … color could be clan related … it would be a whole heraldic code.
   <reads your post about making her an albino> <squeeeeeeeeee>
   Oh, you are brilliant, Clockwork, my dear! I love her being an albino! Hmm is there a way, if I am approved, for me to send you the whole file, or should I try to re-find it online and send you a link so you can modify it to pure albino? Or I can ask for help to modify it … we've got photo-shop … whatever you think is best! I am tempted to say a 'learning' experience made her albino … and we'll have to work up how serious the daylight/eye issues are.

Since you are giving me a free hand with my clan, I will probably make up a smallish clan; perhaps100 persons total, some 10 or so named, and given basic character sketches, and I'll also work out a fairly detailed family tree, since she's an Imperial Relation.

I have this rather glorious notion of the starting story, complete with several possible story arcs for getting her out of the clan.
   Right now my image of her is that she's avoided a marriage due to her intensive training and an indulgent father, who is some sort of brother/cousin to her clan Lord. He is a very good general (though she believes him to be the best in the world, lol). The scene starts at a massive funeral for her father, two of her older brothers and about half of her clan's warriors; they were betrayed, and attacked by overwhelming forces but held their line (thus to avoid dishonor).
   She is stressed by the loss of her father, worried the clan lord won't recognize her still-living brother's right to determine her fate, and scared because they are thinking of sending her youngest brother (a child of her parent's old age) off to the temple.

And yes … I'll look at the White Wolf system and figure out a good balance for edges and flaws.
"Visualize your dream

~Axiom Thread~ | ~Idariel's Flights of Fancy~ | ~Idariel's Story Teller's Thread~

Idariel

World Building Questions
As for the questions Teisei's origin story triggered – here are a few to keep you thinking:
1.What were her parents up to, and how so skilled if clearly not in a monastery! A mystery abounds there.
2.Is it common for Karmic Ties (such as the instant bond in your story) to occur between people, and if so, is it a function of their own personality and gifts-based instability as in Mercedes Lacky's Valdemar series? Is it instead a past-life recognition of debt, like the Deverry Saga by Katherin Kerr? Is it a burden or gift bestowed by the very power of Axiom itself, as in the Star Wars worlds by George Lucas? And even if -you- the GM know … do the characters??
3.Are the children sent to temple often chosen that way, by the monks themselves? If so are they then taken by force, even if the family would rather not? If such a bond is denied by one or both parties, are there long-ranging consequences?
4.Do your monks marry and have children, or not? I can't quite tell from the stories!

Oh! For how long have things been going poorly? If it is feasible, I'd like her to have at least a dim memories of the good times, before the current ruler.

On your world, I suspect that my character would be related to the Imperial family through the female line? Do they kill off other imperial sons when one inherits, or could her father have been the imperial relation? And do you have rules about how close it could or could not be?

Is this the sort of game where I -must- give her combat abilities? Aside from studying Tai Chi (which she does because it enhances her healing, as it is related to understanding and controlling Chi) I haven't given her any; if you envision the sort of world where combat is common, I'll give her a few more skills due to having a loving and indulgent family. If not, I'll simply try to figure out how her magic might help in combat, like perhaps she can weaken weapons and armor?

Oh, and I had yet another question! Is the armor on my continent the traditional bamboo/lacquered armor of the Japanese? Or metal? And speaking of background questions ...

Can you give maybe a thumbnail sketch of three of four precepts of the monks/monastic/local religion as adapted for this world? I just went to the wikki Buddhism site and it was a bit overwhelming. I wouldn't mind a short list; it needn't be exhaustive! I can keep web searching if you haven't parsed that down to a finite body of knowledge yet.

I am going to write a funeral scene for my character's background story, so I've been going over Feudal Japan and Imperial China burial customs; do you have any particular customs/beliefs you do or do not want? I will be happy, of course, to alter my story if I include anything that doesn't mesh, but if you've a few firm ideas already it will simplify matters to know ahead of time!
"Visualize your dream

Idariel

World Building Answers
   Ah, yes the never ending burden of Non Player Characters <eyes dance>.
    For instance, it is inevitable that you must have at least a thumbnail sketch of your ruler, of the leader of each faction who opposes him, and of the temples where-in PC's dwell or dwelt. In addition, I will probably hassle you for a really challenging rival clan, whose dimensions and leader you'll need to invent, and I suspect you'll need at least one really evil, truly despicable bad guy on each continent to move the plot along.
    After I get my person and my clan sorted out, I'd be happy to help you with minor folks; usually, major ones sort of -have- to fall to the GM to create. <pats your back gently.> It's a lot of work running a whole world. But so satisfying!

As for sub plots for Paramnar, don't let it distress you that there are fewer plots brewing there; it is a more rigid world, which means all plots must be more carefully balanced, and in addition you've had only one PC, who is sort of a GM second, as well, so that free flowing plots are likely to move a bit slowly. But I'll give you LOTS to work with here, which will help, and we can try to coax one or two more for each side; I find 3 – 4 players is ideal, usually, in terms of lots of interaction (they can always chat to each other while the GM is busy rolling, thinking and writing) and they will inspire each other, too! Its nice when characters are self-starting and have ideas of what they want and where they wish to go.

Ah, magic! I love magic. But yes, indeed, your world is very richly detailed – I can see why you needed to put in limits! We might want to eventually develop a board JUST for making characters, where we pare down the initial choices and put them in very clear order, with the unusual words used in deciding upon character creation decisions defined right in the text … but that must wait until we've made 10 or 15 characters and really know the essential questions and can make short, concise tables that delineate each common option … <stops> <sheepish smile> <clears throat>

I will be happy to help you both with plots and stories. Please feel free at any point to tell me no, or to remind me its -your- world!

"Visualize your dream

Idariel

Everything Else
   I am sad that Lord Johnny can't play with us right now especially as he's helped so much in shaping the world, but I do understand! Real life first.

Thank you for trusting me to keep OOC and IC straight; this way I can talk to Haloriel, and delightfully indulge in following both story lines! Yay! I have had to be very firm with myself and NOT tempt her into an indiscretion until I got a ruling for you, oh GM!

The problem of needing so many NPCS is behind the massive Pern Project my family and I are undertaking; on Pern, you know, the dragon riders can go anywhere, at the drop of a hat. And so they -DO-.  I have to develop entire holds or cotholds or Gathers or Hatchings out of whole cloth on a moment's notice! You have all my sympathy!

<dances> You get to -build- robots! Oh, glorious! Marvelous! Yes, yes my dear we are indeed kindred spirits! I love them, too. I want to buy one of those little room cleaners as my very first robot. <nods firmly> But I've never built one! Good for you!

And yes, I love the Tower series … I've just begun running a Talent campaign for my family. <eyes dance> I made the old, non-profit Centers and the FTT company rivals. So much fun!

I'm really looking forward to writing with you in your lovely world!
"Visualize your dream

Idariel

Oh, a Tower series would be fun! Should I send you the notes we worked out, Haloriel? It makes a nice balance to have two very different points of view on Talent. And I have a few shocking social quotes from her books that make for really fascinating role play of Talented families.

It amuses me so much that you posted this idea!
"Visualize your dream

Idariel

ooh! ooh! Clockwork, I missed that you said a direct relation! Toooo neat. Do let me know if you feel you ought to make that half of her family tree?
"Visualize your dream

Haloriel

Yes.  Send me thingsssss.  My idea probably won't be something that happens until I'm really settled in here, plus I have another thing I'm creating, however ... I'm beginning to cry massive tears that I didn't make the Japanese type one. LOL. I absolutely love that you've done such a huge rp idea in the non-adult section.  Makes so that everyone can join in, not just approved people.  :D

ClockworkShadow

Oh my... where to begin? o-o

<spins miLady Idariel around in happy, dizzying circles>

Since you went through the effort to separate your response into sections, I'll pay the same favor back. :)

Now then... <digs in>

QuoteMakes so that everyone can join in, not just approved people.

That was exactly my idea and reasoning behind it. :3  And Drake made a fine suggestion about allowing for players to make their own side-story arcs in an adult-oriented area of the forum, if they want to include explicit things in their plot developments. :)  I would just need to figure out how people should best tag the titles, so that people know that it all goes together.

I get mental images of that plant from Jumanji...

A/A

o_O

ClockworkShadow

I cheated a little bit and skipped to the image edit before answering stuff. >.>

A/A

o_O

Haloriel

ClockworkShadow

A/A

o_O

Idariel

CLockwork! She's lovely - I adore that you lightened the marks, too, so that she's all pink and silver, so lovely. <bounces> I can't wait to get this character put together!
"Visualize your dream

ClockworkShadow

Glad you like it, my Lady. ^^

I'm so very excited to see what you come up with! :)

Still working on responding to your commentary and questions, by the way. :3

A/A

o_O

ClockworkShadow

Re: Character Decisions

I do appreciate your taking the time to walk me through this part; its so important for a character to have depth

You are most welcome, my Lady. :)  I wholeheartedly agree!

QuoteAs to energy Manipulations – I like your idea of her mastering a unique sub-specialty!  I will go wrestle with your naming rules and see if I can come up with a name you like. I am so glad you like the idea of her mending things! I will look up your Meilarma or Meilaoima clan and I am sure to use that idea, too.

Meilarma = of Wood, Meilaoima = of Growth.  Just in case you were a bit confused on those references.

Initial pondering: Mei'ikaoi Daomasu, or Teilaoi Daomasu, perhaps?

QuoteI have several ideas in mind for her consequences!
   First, what I'd like to do is to have some of what she's mending get into her fingers. It would  take a little bit heal up; not too long, perhaps a d3 (one three sided die) hours or so. That will make for really good descriptions and cause her to hesitate, not just indiscriminately fix it all.
   Second, I will make her develop a sensitivity to and fondness for whatever/whoever she heals. If she fixes a Kimono, she doesn't -want- to give it back, and she'll be furious if it is mistreated or torn again!
   Third, if she tries to mend too many items different in nature from each other too close together (while the other substance is still floating about her body), she has a chance of 'mixing' the elements … she might get a swath of red silk kimono in the middle of your battle armor, or a touch of plant stem in your arm! Eewww! But fun.

This sounds absolutely spot-on and fantastic. :)

QuoteI have not yet worked out 'critical fail' consequence or an 'over channeling' consequence, but I definitely will have at least a general theme for each of those for you by the time my character is ready to be submitted.

"critical fail," in most cases, should be the lose of one's physical form and identity, and finding one's sentient essence dispersed into a state of omni-sentience/presence until you can be given a new form.  Presently, this is limited to the concept of reincarnation/rebirth.  Later on, I hope to include automatonic forms as an alternative.

QuoteIsn't that picture lovely? I'm so excited that I found it!

Yes!!  I'm very excited that you found it, too! :3

QuoteI definitely like the Imperial relative idea; her markings could be caste-origin; I am leaning towards a Hindi-inspired notion where placement is caste and the actual design reflects her magical powers … color could be clan related … it would be a whole heraldic code.

I like where you are going with this. :3

Quote<reads your post about making her an albino> <squeeeeeeeeee>
   Oh, you are brilliant, Clockwork, my dear! I love her being an albino! Hmm is there a way, if I am approved, for me to send you the whole file, or should I try to re-find it online and send you a link so you can modify it to pure albino? Or I can ask for help to modify it … we've got photo-shop … whatever you think is best! (done :3) I am tempted to say a 'learning' experience made her albino … and we'll have to work up how serious the daylight/eye issues are.
<blushes vividly>

So glad you like the idea. :3

I remember reading once that albinos are prone to either really light blue or pink eyes.  Light blue eyes tend to be a little less light-sensitive than pink eyes.

QuoteSince you are giving me a free hand with my clan, I will probably make up a smallish clan; perhaps100 persons total, some 10 or so named, and given basic character sketches, and I'll also work out a fairly detailed family tree, since she's an Imperial Relation.

I have this rather glorious notion of the starting story, complete with several possible story arcs for getting her out of the clan.
   Right now my image of her is that she's avoided a marriage due to her intensive training and an indulgent father, who is some sort of brother/cousin to her clan Lord. He is a very good general (though she believes him to be the best in the world, lol). The scene starts at a massive funeral for her father, two of her older brothers and about half of her clan's warriors; they were betrayed, and attacked by overwhelming forces but held their line (thus to avoid dishonor).
   She is stressed by the loss of her father, worried the clan lord won't recognize her still-living brother's right to determine her fate, and scared because they are thinking of sending her youngest brother (a child of her parent's old age) off to the temple.

More spot-on, delightful brainstorming, my Lady!  Carry on! :3

Re: World Building Questions

Quote1.What were her parents up to, and how so skilled if clearly not in a monastery! A mystery abounds there.

All Paramnari are biologically skillful with energy manipulation.    I wanted there to be a clear, enviable difference between the Paramnari and the Nu Logikirum, because the Paramnari are still deeply in-tune with their mysticism and open-mindedness to the unknown that defines Axiom.

Her parents would, each, have probably studied for a time as Idaeo'an.  It is not forbidden to leave the Monaznar after swearing one's lifebound oaths.  Similarly, the head Idaeo'suzei of the Monaznar is often succeeded by the sentient choice of the Taesa (Shrine), rather than strictly by their death.  Many factors may influence this.

Quote2.Is it common for Karmic Ties (such as the instant bond in your story) to occur between people

Yes, but none of the examples you mentioned really seemed to be the glove that fits that hand.  I would say that it is more akin to the recognition of belonging to that other person... kind of like the concept of soul mates... but is not limited to the concept of romance.  This can be any kind of bonding; and may include other relationships outside of the usual 1:1 boundaries.  When Maokeisu found Asaomun, she was only three years old.  Thence, their relationship was affirmed as teacher/student, to begin with.  But they knew that they belonged to each other and their lives should be intertwined from that moment therefrom.

QuoteAnd even if -you- the GM know … do the characters??

Players would choose, before implementing the idea, whether their character(s) should recognize the bond for what it is, and how they plan for their character to act thereupon.

Case-by-case basis, essentially.

Quote3.Are the children sent to temple often chosen that way, by the monks themselves? If so are they then taken by force, even if the family would rather not? If such a bond is denied by one or both parties, are there long-ranging consequences?

It is not uncommon for a Taesa to send its Primary Idaeo'suzei on a pilgrimage to find a particular individual.  Details are often cryptic and vague, in this regard.

However, this is not an exclusive method.

Johnny first coined the idea of parents taking their child(ren) to a Monaznar (probably the one that their Clan's Primary energy is associated with directly and/or that they support with worship, respect, tithes, etc.).  This would consign the child to a fate therein, as an Idaeo'an, until they were of a mature enough age/mindset to decide whether they wanted to stay at the Monaznar, or strike out into the world with only their own wit to support their selves, or return to their Clan, or...

Quote4.Do your monks marry and have children, or not?

They don't have to, but may form relationships among those Beholden to them and bear offspring, as a result.  These children would be raised within the confines of the Monaznar, by default, or given to the Idaeo'suzei's clan for other training, or given unto the staff of the Param... etc.

Any male Paramnaran is entitled to have as many, or as few, individuals Beholden to them.  If that also includes males, then it is politely overlooked as the male Beholden's choice.  There is not very much in the way of conflict concerning relationships that defy procreation-friendly standards.

QuoteOh! For how long have things been going poorly? If it is feasible, I'd like her to have at least a dim memories of the good times, before the current ruler.

Asaomun was 3 when the old Param was 157.  He died that same year, and she is now... let me think...

... 19 taokuneii.  So it's been 16 taokuneii that the new Param has been in responsibility of the Ikaoi Taesa temple.  The Paramnari do not understand why the Taesa has not chosen a successor, given the circumstances, but do not dare question it outside of carefully-guarded whispers.  There is probably corruption, of some nature, at play.

QuoteOn your world, I suspect that my character would be related to the Imperial family through the female line? Do they kill off other imperial sons when one inherits, or could her father have been the imperial relation? And do you have rules about how close it could or could not be?

I was almost to the point of suggesting sister/daughter/niece.  Though, with your idea concerning the funeral (and I do love what you suggested with that), then feel free to adjust the family tree accordingly.

The only time a male of the Imperial family encounters foul play is when that current Param suffers the appropriate psychological imbalance required to perceive a threat to his position.  This is because the Taesa is the ultimate decider regarding inheritance... and has been known to step in and overrule a blood heir's "rightful privilege."  Obviously something's a bit out of sorts with that, though, now.

QuoteIs this the sort of game where I -must- give her combat abilities? Aside from studying Tai Chi (which she does because it enhances her healing, as it is related to understanding and controlling Chi) I haven't given her any; if you envision the sort of world where combat is common, I'll give her a few more skills due to having a loving and indulgent family. If not, I'll simply try to figure out how her magic might help in combat, like perhaps she can weaken weapons and armor?

A female Paramnaran is discouraged from learning combat skills/abilities.  I do realize that there were female Samurai, but the concept is considered extremely dishonorable to the female individual, and their clan, if they choose the fighter's path.

Combat between the clans is a common part of their feudal existance, however it is the males that do the fighting and defense of their clans.

QuoteOh, and I had yet another question! Is the armor on my continent the traditional bamboo/lacquered armor of the Japanese? Or metal? And speaking of background questions ...

A combination of bamboo/lacquered and saokei. :)

QuoteCan you give maybe a thumbnail sketch of three of four precepts of the monks/monastic/local religion as adapted for this world? I just went to the wikki Buddhism site and it was a bit overwhelming. I wouldn't mind a short list; it needn't be exhaustive! I can keep web searching if you haven't parsed that down to a finite body of knowledge yet.

This may take me some time.  If you could be more specific, still, that would be very appreciated.  :3  I like over-detailed niblets. :3

QuoteI am going to write a funeral scene for my character's background story, so I've been going over Feudal Japan and Imperial China burial customs; do you have any particular customs/beliefs you do or do not want? I will be happy, of course, to alter my story if I include anything that doesn't mesh, but if you've a few firm ideas already it will simplify matters to know ahead of time!

Any of the customs from that inspiring era of the Asian cultures is perfectly plausible to include. :)  Carry on! <3

Re: World Building Answers

QuoteIn addition, I will probably hassle you for a really challenging rival clan, whose dimensions and leader you'll need to invent

Ok :)  Hassle away. >:)

Quoteand I suspect you'll need at least one really evil, truly despicable bad guy on each continent to move the plot along.

Paramnar: Evil, for sure.

Nu Logikus: Antihero?

QuoteAfter I get my person and my clan sorted out, I'd be happy to help you with minor folks; usually, major ones sort of -have- to fall to the GM to create. <pats your back gently.> It's a lot of work running a whole world. But so satisfying!

So very satisfying.  But I would love your help in further-developing my world.  Oh, this truly is going to become epic... 0-o

QuoteAs for sub plots for Paramnar, don't let it distress you that there are fewer plots brewing there; it is a more rigid world, which means all plots must be more carefully balanced, and in addition you've had only one PC, who is sort of a GM second, as well, so that free flowing plots are likely to move a bit slowly. But I'll give you LOTS to work with here, which will help, and we can try to coax one or two more for each side; I find 3 – 4 players is ideal, usually, in terms of lots of interaction (they can always chat to each other while the GM is busy rolling, thinking and writing) and they will inspire each other, too! Its nice when characters are self-starting and have ideas of what they want and where they wish to go.

I concur wholeheartedly. :3

QuoteAh, magic! I love magic. But yes, indeed, your world is very richly detailed – I can see why you needed to put in limits! We might want to eventually develop a board JUST for making characters, where we pare down the initial choices and put them in very clear order, with the unusual words used in deciding upon character creation decisions defined right in the text … but that must wait until we've made 10 or 15 characters and really know the essential questions and can make short, concise tables that delineate each common option … <stops> <sheepish smile> <clears throat>

<purrs and blushes again, possibly more vividly than earlier>

You are adorable, my Lady. :)  Do not ever feel the need to silence your delightful rambling and brainstorming, with me. :)

QuoteI will be happy to help you both with plots and stories. Please feel free at any point to tell me no, or to remind me its -your- world!

Oh, YAY! ^_^

Re: Everything Else

QuoteI am sad that Lord Johnny can't play with us right now especially as he's helped so much in shaping the world, but I do understand! Real life first.

Aye, t'is saddening.  And I do hope that he is ok.

QuoteThank you for trusting me to keep OOC and IC straight; this way I can talk to Haloriel, and delightfully indulge in following both story lines! Yay! I have had to be very firm with myself and NOT tempt her into an indiscretion until I got a ruling for you, oh GM!

Heh.  Between you and Haloriel, I cannot wait to see what sort of brainchildren hatch. :)

QuoteThe problem of needing so many NPCS is behind the massive Pern Project my family and I are undertaking; on Pern, you know, the dragon riders can go anywhere, at the drop of a hat. And so they -DO-.  I have to develop entire holds or cotholds or Gathers or Hatchings out of whole cloth on a moment's notice! You have all my sympathy!

No, no... you have my sympathy o-0

Quote<dances> You get to -build- robots! Oh, glorious! Marvelous! Yes, yes my dear we are indeed kindred spirits! I love them, too. I want to buy one of those little room cleaners as my very first robot. <nods firmly> But I've never built one! Good for you!

Only very rarely sometimes, unfortunately.  I rarely have the resources/opportunity.  But I did get to soldier together my own little, solar-powered gidget with eraser feet, once...  <fond memories, spaced out expression>

QuoteAnd yes, I love the Tower series … I've just begun running a Talent campaign for my family. <eyes dance> I made the old, non-profit Centers and the FTT company rivals. So much fun!

Ooh, I'd love to hear more about this, especially if you get approved. :3

QuoteI'm really looking forward to writing with you in your lovely world!

The feeling is assuredly mutual, my Lady!

A/A

o_O

Haloriel

Quote from: ClockworkShadow on August 07, 2011, 02:08:21 AM
Re: Character Decisions

You are most welcome, my Lady. :)  I wholeheartedly agree!

Meilarma = of Wood, Meilaoima = of Growth.  Just in case you were a bit confused on those references.

Initial pondering: Mei'ikaoi Daomasu, or Teilaoi Daomasu, perhaps?

This sounds absolutely spot-on and fantastic. :)

"critical fail," in most cases, should be the lose of one's physical form and identity, and finding one's sentient essence dispersed into a state of omni-sentience/presence until you can be given a new form.  Presently, this is limited to the concept of reincarnation/rebirth.  Later on, I hope to include automatonic forms as an alternative.

Yes!!  I'm very excited that you found it, too! :3

I like where you are going with this. :3
<blushes vividly>

So glad you like the idea. :3

I remember reading once that albinos are prone to either really light blue or pink eyes.  Light blue eyes tend to be a little less light-sensitive than pink eyes.

More spot-on, delightful brainstorming, my Lady!  Carry on! :3

Re: World Building Questions

All Paramnari are biologically skillful with energy manipulation.    I wanted there to be a clear, enviable difference between the Paramnari and the Nu Logikirum, because the Paramnari are still deeply in-tune with their mysticism and open-mindedness to the unknown that defines Axiom.

Her parents would, each, have probably studied for a time as Idaeo'an.  It is not forbidden to leave the Monaznar after swearing one's lifebound oaths.  Similarly, the head Idaeo'suzei of the Monaznar is often succeeded by the sentient choice of the Taesa (Shrine), rather than strictly by their death.  Many factors may influence this.

Yes, but none of the examples you mentioned really seemed to be the glove that fits that hand.  I would say that it is more akin to the recognition of belonging to that other person... kind of like the concept of soul mates... but is not limited to the concept of romance.  This can be any kind of bonding; and may include other relationships outside of the usual 1:1 boundaries.  When Maokeisu found Asaomun, she was only three years old.  Thence, their relationship was affirmed as teacher/student, to begin with.  But they knew that they belonged to each other and their lives should be intertwined from that moment therefrom.

Players would choose, before implementing the idea, whether their character(s) should recognize the bond for what it is, and how they plan for their character to act thereupon.

Case-by-case basis, essentially.

It is not uncommon for a Taesa to send its Primary Idaeo'suzei on a pilgrimage to find a particular individual.  Details are often cryptic and vague, in this regard.

However, this is not an exclusive method.

Johnny first coined the idea of parents taking their child(ren) to a Monaznar (probably the one that their Clan's Primary energy is associated with directly and/or that they support with worship, respect, tithes, etc.).  This would consign the child to a fate therein, as an Idaeo'an, until they were of a mature enough age/mindset to decide whether they wanted to stay at the Monaznar, or strike out into the world with only their own wit to support their selves, or return to their Clan, or...

They don't have to, but may form relationships among those Beholden to them and bear offspring, as a result.  These children would be raised within the confines of the Monaznar, by default, or given to the Idaeo'suzei's clan for other training, or given unto the staff of the Param... etc.

Any male Paramnaran is entitled to have as many, or as few, individuals Beholden to them.  If that also includes males, then it is politely overlooked as the male Beholden's choice.  There is not very much in the way of conflict concerning relationships that defy procreation-friendly standards.

Asaomun was 3 when the old Param was 157.  He died that same year, and she is now... let me think...

... 19 taokuneii.  So it's been 16 taokuneii that the new Param has been in responsibility of the Ikaoi Taesa temple.  The Paramnari do not understand why the Taesa has not chosen a successor, given the circumstances, but do not dare question it outside of carefully-guarded whispers.  There is probably corruption, of some nature, at play.

I was almost to the point of suggesting sister/daughter/niece.  Though, with your idea concerning the funeral (and I do love what you suggested with that), then feel free to adjust the family tree accordingly.

The only time a male of the Imperial family encounters foul play is when that current Param suffers the appropriate psychological imbalance required to perceive a threat to his position.  This is because the Taesa is the ultimate decider regarding inheritance... and has been known to step in and overrule a blood heir's "rightful privilege."  Obviously something's a bit out of sorts with that, though, now.

A female Paramnaran is discouraged from learning combat skills/abilities.  I do realize that there were female Samurai, but the concept is considered extremely dishonorable to the female individual, and their clan, if they choose the fighter's path.

Combat between the clans is a common part of their feudal existance, however it is the males that do the fighting and defense of their clans.

A combination of bamboo/lacquered and saokei. :)

This may take me some time.  If you could be more specific, still, that would be very appreciated.  :3  I like over-detailed niblets. :3

Any of the customs from that inspiring era of the Asian cultures is perfectly plausible to include. :)  Carry on! <3

Re: World Building Answers

Ok :)  Hassle away. >:)

Paramnar: Evil, for sure.

Nu Logikus: Antihero?

So very satisfying.  But I would love your help in further-developing my world.  Oh, this truly is going to become epic... 0-o

I concur wholeheartedly. :3

<purrs and blushes again, possibly more vividly than earlier>

You are adorable, my Lady. :)  Do not ever feel the need to silence your delightful rambling and brainstorming, with me. :)

Oh, YAY! ^_^

Re: Everything Else

Aye, t'is saddening.  And I do hope that he is ok.

Heh.  Between you and Haloriel, I cannot wait to see what sort of brainchildren hatch. :)

No, no... you have my sympathy o-0

Only very rarely sometimes, unfortunately.  I rarely have the resources/opportunity.  But I did get to soldier together my own little, solar-powered gidget with eraser feet, once...  <fond memories, spaced out expression>

Ooh, I'd love to hear more about this, especially if you get approved. :3

The feeling is assuredly mutual, my Lady!

Peer pressure ... ~kermit arms~

ClockworkShadow

<giggles insanely, then devours the beautiful picture>

A/A

o_O

Haloriel

I just wish it was more polished in appearance.  I haven't a clue how to do that though.  I'm so very, very inept when it comes to computer things. :D

--Haloriel

ClockworkShadow

Specify what you mean by polished?  I can do some very difficult edits, if need be. :3

A/A

o_O