Seeking Legendary Monsters (3.5 DnD, lots custom rules)

Started by Zaer Darkwail, April 08, 2015, 05:54:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CeruleanSerenity

I think my character is going to take at least a few days to finish... I tend to be slow with making D&D characters, even simpler ones, so I ought to start chipping away at it soon.

Is there a character sheet template anywhere I should use?

EdwardShane

Well, the first ones that come to mind are style feats for unarmed combat users.  Stuff like Crane Style, Mantis Style, or Dragon Style.  Also another potential feat that came to mind, do you have issues with Improved Natural Attack being applied to unarmed strikes?

PaleEnchantress

How are we dealing with the silver bullet against us that is any thing with a HD  based effect. (Un)Holy Word for all of us, Banishment for the outsiders, Turning for me.
" class="bbc_img" class="bbc_img" class="bbc_img

EdwardShane

I would presume that it would affect as per normal, aside from the SR check required (if applicable).

TheGlyphstone

Though I suppose if you had Turn Resistance, it would improve by 13 from the Paragon template.

PaleEnchantress

Quote from: EdwardShane on April 11, 2015, 03:39:28 PM
I would presume that it would affect as per normal, aside from the SR check required (if applicable).

Scary

Also Zaer. Vampire Lord and Lifedrinker have a few relics left over from 3.0. Someone did a 3.5 homebrew Vampire Lord Update. They hardly changed anything, just made things like Damage Reduction make sense.

http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?323860-3-5-Vampire-Lord-%28Template%29

Lifedrinker just needs boost defenses updated. I suggest the dr boost it gives change Vampire Lords DR from 15/Good and Silver to 25/Good and Silver.

Finally as the psychic Varriant of Vampire I don't have an energy drain slam. So my suggestion is Vampire Lord increase Psychic vampires Wisdom Drain touch from 1d6 to 1d8 and Wisdom Drain Aura from 1 to 2. I request my characters spawn always be regular vampires not psychic vampires.

EdwardShane

....does a monk's move speed bonus apply to fly speeds, or just ground movement?  This is the first time I've ever made a monk who has a natural fly speed lol

Zaer Darkwail

Quote from: CeruleanSerenity on April 11, 2015, 03:20:29 PM
I think my character is going to take at least a few days to finish... I tend to be slow with making D&D characters, even simpler ones, so I ought to start chipping away at it soon.

Is there a character sheet template anywhere I should use?

Here is one we most had used;

Example sheet

[float=right][img height=300]PIC URL HERE[/img][/float][size=12pt]CHAR NAME HERE[/size]
Alignment, Size, Type(s)
[b]Init[/b] +??; [b]Senses[/b] darkvision ??? ft
Spot +??, Listen +??
[b]Languages[/b]
[hr]
[b]AC[/b] ??, touch ??, flat-footed ??
(+?? natural, +? dexterity, +?? insight, +?? luck, +?? armor, +?? Cha, +?? Shield)
[b]hp[/b] ??? (??d?? HD + ???); fast-healing ?? [b]DR[/b] ??/Epic
[b]Immune[/b]
[b]Resist[/b] fire ??; [b]SR[/b] ??
[b]Fort[/b] +??, [b]Ref[/b] +??, [b]Will[/b] +??; +??
[hr]
[b]Speed[/b]
[b]Melee:[/b]
[b]Ranged:[/b]
[b]Space[/b] ? ft.; [b]Reach[/b] ? ft.
[b]Base Atk[/b] +??  [b]Grp[/b] +??
[b]Atk Options[/b]
[b]Combat Gear:[/b]
[b]Spell-Like Abilities[/b] (CL ??th, DC ??+spell level)
At will--
   3/day--[i]greater dispel magic, haste, see invisibility (15 CL)[/i]
[b]Spellcasting[/b] (CL ??th, DC ??+spell level)
1st--?/day;
2nd--?/day;
3rd--?/day;
[hr]
[b]Abilities:[/b] Str ??, Dex ??, Con ??, Int ??, Wis ??, Cha ??
[b]Special Attacks:[/b]
[b]Special Qualities:[/b]
[b]Skills:[/b]
[b]Skill Tricks:[/b]
[b]Feats:[/b]
[b]Equipment[/b]

[hr]
[spoiler=Racial/Template Abilities]
[/spoiler][spoiler=Class 1 abilities]
[/spoiler][spoiler=Class 2 abilities]
[/spoiler]
[spoiler=Class 3 abilities]
[/spoiler]
[spoiler=PrC Abilities]
[/spoiler]
[hr]
[spoiler=Char's mount/animal companion]
[float=right][img height=300]PIC URL HERE[/img][/float]
[b]Size/Type:[/b]
[b]Hit Dice:[/b]
[b]Initiative:[/b]
[b]Speed:[/b]
[b]Armor Class:[/b]
[b]Base Attack/Grapple:[/b]
[b]Attack:[/b]
[b]Full Attack:[/b]
[b]Space/Reach:[/b]
[b]Special Attacks:[/b]
[b]Special Qualities:[/b]
[b]Saves:[/b] Fort +, Ref +, Will +
[b]Abilities:[/b] Str ??, Dex ??, Con ??, Int ??, Wis ??, Cha ??
[b]Skills:[/b]
[b]Skill Tricks:[/b]
[b]Feats:[/b]
[b]Environment:[/b]
[b]Organization:[/b]
[b]Challenge Rating:[/b]
[b]Alignment:[/b]

[b]Spell-Like Abilities[/b] CL 15 (example as if having paragon creature feature)
3/day—[i]greater dispel magic, haste, see invisibility[/i]

[b]Supernatural Abilities[/b] CL ??

[/spoiler]
[hr]
[spoiler=Your char's legend (background)][/spoiler]

Quote from: EdwardShane on April 11, 2015, 03:20:43 PM
Well, the first ones that come to mind are style feats for unarmed combat users.  Stuff like Crane Style, Mantis Style, or Dragon Style.  Also another potential feat that came to mind, do you have issues with Improved Natural Attack being applied to unarmed strikes?

I allow the style feats but if they start speak of combat maneuvers and such then assume it applies to sunder, disarm and such checks the bonuses if any. Improved Natural Attack applies to unarmed strikes (can get one size bigger fists) but going past large has no point as there is no stats for huge sized monks unarmed strikes.

Quote from: PaleEnchantress on April 11, 2015, 03:51:49 PM
Also Zaer. Vampire Lord and Lifedrinker have a few relics left over from 3.0. Someone did a 3.5 homebrew Vampire Lord Update. They hardly changed anything, just made things like Damage Reduction make sense.

http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?323860-3-5-Vampire-Lord-%28Template%29

Lifedrinker just needs boost defenses updated. I suggest the dr boost it gives change Vampire Lords DR from 15/Good and Silver to 25/Good and Silver.

Finally as the psychic Varriant of Vampire I don't have an energy drain slam. So my suggestion is Vampire Lord increase Psychic vampires Wisdom Drain touch from 1d6 to 1d8 and Wisdom Drain Aura from 1 to 2. I request my characters spawn always be regular vampires not psychic vampires.

I allow the linked version of vampire lord (I indeed used it for some NPC already), also take note that you get also DR 10/epic and as we gestalt monsters and things together you use smallest of the DR or ignore the DR gain entirely. So example vampire lords DR 15/good and silver turns to DR 10/epic, good and silver. So it sort merges. If Lifedrinker boosts temporally DR it applies, if it changes permanently, then it raises your DR to 20/epic, good and silver.

I am okay with suggestion how psychic vampire lord's drain increases from 1d6 to 1d8 and the drain aura. However if it's naturally part for psychic vampires to create psychic vampire spawns/full psychic vampires when they drain wisdom/con entirely, then you still create psychic vampires. The spawn do not get your other templates nor paragon creature status.

Quote from: EdwardShane on April 11, 2015, 03:52:30 PM
....does a monk's move speed bonus apply to fly speeds, or just ground movement?  This is the first time I've ever made a monk who has a natural fly speed lol

I say monk's speed applies to all natural movement modes (so aquatic creature with swim speed who is monk swims faster than others of same species).

EdwardShane

TheGlyphstone

Though Paragon wouldn't, I don't think, affect movement modes that aren't inherent to the base creature. So your succubus would triple her movement speeds (90ft land, 150ft. fly) before adding monk bonuses.

Zaer Darkwail

Yup, that's correct. Same applies to feat Epic Speed (which adds +30'ft to your movement). Paragon applies it's multiplier before other adds or multipliers.

EdwardShane

ohhh okay.  thanks for mentioning that then, I was thinking it was the other way around ^^;

PaleEnchantress

Quote from: Zaer Darkwail on April 11, 2015, 04:23:53 PM

I am okay with suggestion how psychic vampire lord's drain increases from 1d6 to 1d8 and the drain aura. However if it's naturally part for psychic vampires to create psychic vampire spawns/full psychic vampires when they drain wisdom/con entirely, then you still create psychic vampires. The spawn do not get your other templates nor paragon creature status.

Than let me point out that by RAW a psychic vampire can only make  NONpsychic vampires. Psychic vampire variant is described "as vampire except as noted" and no where is it noted a psychic vampire's spawn are also psychic vampires. I don't expect my spawn to get paragon (or any other non vampire) template. Chances are Id be embracing other who are much higher level than 12

Zaer Darkwail

Aha, ok. So no problems then that you do not create psychic vampire spawn then :). Was there some unclear elements by the RAW which would suggest it was otherwise?

EdwardShane

another question.  What sorts of familiars are available, just the standard ones out of the PHB?  Or are there others to pick from, and if so, what are they/what bonuses do they give?

Zaer Darkwail

The PHB ones are only ones which give stat boosts. Ofc we can argue the spider familiar could give bonus to climb checks (or other familiars give some bonus which is listed already, like parrot able speak one chosen language like raven does). However if go improved familiar or such; then no stat bonuses any.

EdwardShane

PaleEnchantress

Im rather interested in how our individual plots are going to take off. My characters gender ill make based on the preferences of my DM, though male erotica will be rather high either way.

avorae

Question. Is the monster of legend template allowed? I am thinking that it would fit my anthro better than the half-celestial.
Life is a hard game but the rewards are sweet if you know where to look.

Zaer Darkwail

Quote from: avorae on April 11, 2015, 05:50:46 PM
Question. Is the monster of legend template allowed? I am thinking that it would fit my anthro better than the half-celestial.

Monster of Legend is not allowed template. But that's so far only template I have disallowed.

Quote from: PaleEnchantress on April 11, 2015, 05:44:55 PM
Im rather interested in how our individual plots are going to take off. My characters gender ill make based on the preferences of my DM, though male erotica will be rather high either way.

So far I am GM'ing mainly but Glyph has mentioned he is willing to pick one or two people. Sain also runs already me and Kimera's threads in the game but is busy/unsure taking third.

avorae

Ok just wanted to check before hand. So any ideas on what i could do with my last 3 levels for my monster side?
Life is a hard game but the rewards are sweet if you know where to look.

EdwardShane

WIP

Daeva, the Fist of Chaos
CN Outsider (Chaotic, Evil, Extraplanar, Tanar'ri)
Hit Points: 360
Initiative: +12
Speed: 130, Fly 190 (Average)
Armor Class: 77 (+12 Dex, +20 Cha, +2 monk bonus, +12 insight, +12 luck, +9 natural), Touch 68, Flat Footed 65
Base Attack/Grapple: +12/+22
Attack: Unarmed Strike +47 melee (3d6+55) or Claw +47 melee (1d6+30)
Full Attack: Unarmed Strike +47/+47/+42/+37 melee, with an additional 1d6-1 attacks from Flailing Strike at +47 melee each (3d6+55 for all), or 2 claws +47 melee (1d6+30)
Space/Reach: 5 ft/5 ft
Special Attacks: Energy Drain, spell-like abilities, summon tanar'ri, Flail Wildly + Greater Flailing, Stunning Fist, Improved Trip, Erratic Advance
Special Qualities: DR 10/Epic, good, and cold iron, Darkvision 60 ft, Immunity to Electricity and Poison, Resistance to Fire/Acid/Cold 10, Spell Resistance 55, Telepathy 100 ft, Tongues, Improved Evasion, Still Mind, Slow Fall 60 ft, Ki Strike (Magic and Chaotic [applies to the four chosen exotic weapons below]), Displacing Stance (50%), Freedom of Thought, Summon Familiar (snake), Sorcerer Spells, Force Specialization, Force Armor, Fast Healing 20, Monk Weapon Mastery (exotic weapon damage increased by one size), Skill Mastery
Saves: Fort +28, Ref +30, Will +29, +2 vs Enchantment Spells and Effects, +2 vs Sleep, Paralysis, and Stunning effects
Abilities: Str 30, Dex 34, Con 30, Int 30, Wis 32, Cha 50
Skills:* Balance +24 (untrained), Bluff +45, Concentration +32, Diplomacy +46, Disguise +42 (+2 to stay in character, +10 circumstance when using alter self), Escape Artist +34, Hide +34, Intimidate +44, Jump +62 (untrained), Knowledge (Arcana) +32, Knowledge (Planes) +32, Listen +41 (+2 when familiar is near), Move Silently +34, Perform (Exotic Dancing) +42, Search +32, Sense Motive +33, Spellcraft +34, Spot +41 (+2 when familiar is near), Survival +33 (+2 when following tracks, +2 when on other planes), Tumble +34, Use Rope +22 (untrained, +2 when involving bindings)
     *Can Take 10 on all listed skills while under stressful/distracting situations, courtesy of Skill Mastery
Languages: Common, Abyssal, Celestial, Draconic, Infernal, Sylvan, Aquan, Auran, Terran, Ignan, Giant, Elven, Undercommon (has a constant tongues effect)
Feats: Sexy Kung Fu (1st), Stunning Fist (B), Combat Reflexes (B), Improved Trip (B), Dodge (3rd), Mobility (5th), Improved Natural Attack (Unarmed Strike) (7th), Dragon Style (9th), Dragon Ferocity (11th), Mindsight (B), Eschew Materials (B), Heighten Spell (B), Empower Spell (B), Exotic Weapon Profeciencies: Spiked Chain, Whip, Heavy Repeating Crossbow, and Dire Flail (B), Freezing of the Lifeblood (B)

This is what I have so far.  There are a few things I'm still uncertain of, such as what bonus feat to take from the paragon template or what her SR would be.  I also am aware I need to fill in her spell like abilities, her sorcerer spells known/per day, and clarify what her abilities do.  I'm also unsure of whether the DR would include good in it or not, considering I want her to be CN instead of CE.  Pretty sure that such would also remove "evil" from her subtyping though, but I could be wrong.  Still need to figure out her backstory/legend as well as her items and such....regardless, feedback and advice would be welcome!

Sain

I will know for sure after a few days or a week. I would be up for GMing M/M heavy story arch, but yeah not sure if I can take another monster just yet.

e. Edward just a quick tip. Mindsight is aweosme. You have natural telepathy 100ft which is quite a good range. Might want to consider picking up that feat. Seeing everything is pretty strong in this system.
PM box is open. So is my discord: Sain#5301

Zaer Darkwail

Quote from: avorae on April 11, 2015, 05:56:01 PM
Ok just wanted to check before hand. So any ideas on what i could do with my last 3 levels for my monster side?

Well, Warshaper could work (crit/stun immunity, greater Str&Con are all great stuff to have and does not count for PrC limit as it works as 'monster class' PrC). Also DMG II has some nice templates like Prodigy and such to add flavor.

Quote from: EdwardShane on April 11, 2015, 06:02:25 PM
This is what I have so far.  There are a few things I'm still uncertain of, such as what bonus feat to take from the paragon template or what her SR would be.  I also am aware I need to fill in her spell like abilities, her sorcerer spells known/per day, and clarify what her abilities do.  I'm also unsure of whether the DR would include good in it or not, considering I want her to be CN instead of CE.  Pretty sure that such would also remove "evil" from her subtyping though, but I could be wrong.  Still need to figure out her backstory/legend as well as her items and such....regardless, feedback and advice would be welcome!

Your CR is 30 so your SR is 55 (like all chars should have unless picking feats or features which boost their natural native SR higher). Also you keep evil subtype, despite what alignment you are as succubus, you still retain chaotic and evil subtypes. Only sanctified succubus loose them but also it makes them loose all their spell-alike abilities and their supernatural abilities (which sucks balls honestly speaking and I still think the template should be free than +1, or very least allow some abilities remain).

Anycase you keep evil in your DR (so need good, cold iron and epic weapon to harm you). Imagine irony of the succubus paladins who register evil despite their lawful good :P. Anycase pick mostly touch spells (as you can do unarmed strike with them) or spells which help with physical activities (would make sense for monk/sorcerer) while having utility stuff from there (divinations and such). I am sure there is handbook guide in internet for argent fists which can detail more what spells are recommended picks. Of course you can ignore your monk side and just focus on spells what you would take anyway as even single classed sorcerer (may you be summoner, illusionist or generalist sorcerer).