So now that TOR is FTP...

Started by Braioch, November 15, 2012, 08:05:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheGlyphstone

Chris Brady

Quote from: KaylaM on December 11, 2012, 04:50:44 AM
The plan seems to be less about rewarding people for shilling out as it is about punishing them until they do. No rested XP, less XP from quests, increased prices (both gold and commendations) at vendors including for repairs and consumables, no hiding helmets, no hotbars, no colour matching... Yeah. The list goes on.
Not so much punishing, as much as trying to monetize it.  There's no malice here, just incompetence.  There implementing changes with this patch (today) like more character slots and hot bars for Premium Players (the former subbers.)
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Silverfyre

Character slots have not been implemented yet.  And two extra hot bars means back up to four: the game is now playable.  The UI restrictions are just ridiculous.

Braioch

And for that matter, can someone explain 'Legacy' to me?

I want to play another species if I subscribe, but I don't want to throw more money into the game if I want another species to play
I'm also on Discord (like, all the time), so feel free to ask about that if you want

[tr]
   [td]
[/td]
   [td]
[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]

Moraline

Quote from: KaylaM on December 12, 2012, 06:38:08 AM
So my next question is this. As an actual game, playing "Raw" F2P sucks donkey nuts. How is it as a venue for RP, or do you have to subscribe to get the tools you'd need to make it viable?

As a F2P venue for RP. I found it annoying. I'm a previous sub so I get access to more stuff then fresh new players and I found that about 50-65% of my emotes were all greyed out. I had to take off my helmet to show my face instead of just hiding the helmet with a checkbox. Overall I found the F2P restrictions were annoyances.

Of course you don't really need that stuff to be able to talk to people or go kill stuff and generally hang out to do role playing but losing those emotes and appearance options/functions are really annoying to me as a role player. 

Previously I found the game to be very restrictive with emotes and chatting anyways. So going F2P with more restrictions just lowered my opinion even further.

Does anyone know if they ever implemented chat bubbles? (Not having chat bubbles was a bit of a pain in the ass.)

Overall with the "on the rails" story lines and larger hard core crowd of lore nazis, the game is relatively hostile towards role playing in general. It lacks a great deal of freedom. It works for some people but for me it didn't. F2P has just made RP more difficult.

Quote from: Braioch on December 12, 2012, 06:50:37 AM
And for that matter, can someone explain 'Legacy' to me?

I want to play another species if I subscribe, but I don't want to throw more money into the game if I want another species to play

Legacy from what I understand just means that you give your characters a "family" name (last name.) All your characters get that last name.

It's something you achieve after you reach a certain level. If your a subscriber you get access to it and it also gives you some perks.

All races are open to you as subscriber (or they used to be).  But when you achieve legacy and gain levels you get perks like being able to use different races in different classes. Like becoming a Sith Warrior with a Twilek species. Prior to legacy you couldn't become a Sith Warrior with a Twilek.

Plus you get a whole list of perks as part of the legacy stuff. Here's a page for some stuff:  http://www.swtor.com/blog/legacy-perks-game-update-1.3
Five categories of modification perks in 1.3:
    -Class Mission modifiers, which increase the amount of experience you gain from completing your character’s story missions.
    -Warzone modifiers, which increase the amount of experience gained from completing PvP warzones.
    -Space Mission modifiers, which increase the amount of experience gained from completing space missions.
    -Exploration modifiers, which increase the amount of experience from finding new areas in the game world.
    -Flashpoint modifiers, which increase the amount of experience you receive from defeating enemies in Flashpoints.

Travel Perks introduced with Game Update 1.3 will help new and old characters alike get around the galaxy a little easier.

Companion Perks modify the way that you interact with your companions, as well as making them more useful to you at both low and high levels.

Field Repair Droid perk.

A perk which allows you to reset your skill trees from anywhere in the game. The Field Respecialization perk adds a new button to your skill tree window that enables this feature.

Zeruiah

Being one who will never got back to SWTOR free or not, is there any rpers here who rp/play at GuildWars 2? It's free after the initial buy, game play and graphix are great too, though that's just my opinion.
The pulse-pounding excitement of our virtual world is but a keystroke away.

Chris Brady

Quote from: Mayhymn on December 12, 2012, 12:43:56 PM
Being one who will never got back to SWTOR free or not, is there any rpers here who rp/play at GuildWars 2? It's free after the initial buy, game play and graphix are great too, though that's just my opinion.
Sadly GW2 isn't very conductive to RP in general.  The way it's quest set up and it's 'events' with it's 'drop in/drop out' system, very few people actually talk to each other outside of being friends already.  Not to mention that Guilds don't seem to last very long...

GW2 was a great experiment, not so much in terms of success.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Silverfyre

Quote from: Chris Brady on December 12, 2012, 02:29:28 PM

GW2 was a great experiment, not so much in terms of success.

By what sort of criteria are you using to make such a statement?  They seem to be doing quite well in terms of sales and numbers. I've seen more RP and successful guilds in GW2 than I have ever seen in something like TOR.  It's pretty damned successful if you ask me.

Zeruiah

I'd have to agree. having played RIFT, WoW for years... and SWTOR, so far GW2 is by far my favorite. I don't have to not have a life to compete really and I love that! :)

Chris Brady

Quote from: Silverfyre on December 12, 2012, 03:04:23 PM
By what sort of criteria are you using to make such a statement?  They seem to be doing quite well in terms of sales and numbers. I've seen more RP and successful guilds in GW2 than I have ever seen in something like TOR.  It's pretty damned successful if you ask me.
Personal criteria.  Sorry, I thought I was being anecdotal.  And officially it's doing 'OK' in terms of MMO sales.

Personally, I'm bored of it.  It's still too much like WoW (especially the dungeons) but with some of the tools lacking that make some things less of a grind.

SinXAzgard21

I'd still take GW2 over Swtor any day.
If you know me personally, you know how to contact me.

Moraline

Quote from: Chris Brady on December 12, 2012, 03:44:05 PM
Personally, I'm bored of it.  It's still too much like WoW (especially the dungeons) but with some of the tools lacking that make some things less of a grind.

I felt the same way. It was too much like WoW.

Also, it's the lollipop and gumdrop fantasy setting that bores me to tears now. I'm over the high-fantasy settings now. I'm looking for MMORPG's with different settings.

TheGlyphstone

I wish someone would make a good Shadowrun game. The setting is almost perfect for an MMO, it's incredibly fleshed out, and would be a genre almost completely untapped.

Moraline

I totally agree. I'd love to play a Shadowrun MMORPG.   

I think Blizzard could totally take WoW and create a sort of Shadowrun'esque future Azeroth. That would rock and give all us old time WoW players a new home (with hopefully a similar feel but vastly improved graphics.)

Silverfyre

I think Blizzard should just let WoW run its own course and try something new.  Weren't they working on some new MMO some time back?  Any news on that?

A Shadowrun RPG would be the best gaming news I've heard in years.

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Silverfyre on December 12, 2012, 07:09:43 PM
I think Blizzard should just let WoW run its own course and try something new.  Weren't they working on some new MMO some time back?  Any news on that?

A Shadowrun RPG would be the best gaming news I've heard in years.

Project Titan. They're still keeping it firmly under wraps, no one knows anything about it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Titan_%28Blizzard_Entertainment_project%29

SinXAzgard21

If you know me personally, you know how to contact me.

Silverfyre

Eh, so we have some rumors and no hard evidence about a game that has apparently been in development since 2007?  Yeah, definitely just like the cake.

Pie is better any ways.

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Silverfyre on December 12, 2012, 07:15:08 PM
Eh, so we have some rumors and no hard evidence about a game that has apparently been in development since 2007?  Yeah, definitely just like the cake.

Pie is better any ways.

It's classic Blizzard - they've got better information control/leak protection than the average government.

The cake is a lie, but pie is infinite.

Zeruiah

http://www.shadowrun.com/
Shadowrun MMO got funding off of kickstart I believe back in June.

Moraline

It's unfortunately not that kinda game though. It's just an MMO, not an MMORPG. At least that's my understanding. I was told it's just a game where you can join up in groups like a console game platformer. Not really the same open world concept as an MMORPG like WoW or SW:ToR.

Zeruiah

Nah, it's not from the looks of it. MMO as I was told though it'd be great if they went further with it.

Have you checked out the Fallout MMORPG at all?

Moraline

Quote from: Mayhymn on December 12, 2012, 08:53:12 PM
Nah, it's not from the looks of it. MMO as I was told though it'd be great if they went further with it.

Have you checked out the Fallout MMORPG at all?

I never even heard of a Fallout MMORPG? I'll definitely look into that.

Funguy81

The fallout MMORPG got cancelled.

There was some sort of contractual dispute between Bethesda and Interplay. Bethesda claims that interplay did not meet certain requirements, so it pulled the license to use the fallout universe in the MMO game. Which completely terminates the project.

A quick link is here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fallout_Online

Braioch

Well, we still have the WoD MMORPG to look forward too!

;D

Yes, I'm geeked about it.

And also, the Elder Scrolls MMO as well :)
I'm also on Discord (like, all the time), so feel free to ask about that if you want

[tr]
   [td]
[/td]
   [td]
[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]