News:

"Wings and a Prayer [L-E]"
Congratulations OfferedToEros & Random for completing your RP!

Main Menu

What's in the news?

Started by Beorning, September 21, 2014, 07:02:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beorning

Quote from: ShadowFox89 on November 24, 2015, 08:46:49 PM
Posting a source that doesn't redirect away from the article if you don't sub.... http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2015/11/24/world/europe/ap-eu-poland-eu.html?_r=0

Oops, thanks.

Overall, the whole situation is a minor thing, but it's nevertheless symbolic. As far as I know, all of the EU member countries have the EU flag on display. The fact that our new government had it removed says something about their attitude... not that it's surprising. It's well known that this party is quite euro-sceptic - they even have MPs who are openly against the EU. A year or so ago, one of their more vocal MPs called the EU flag a "rag". She also said she hoped that the EU would dissolve...

Beorning

Aaaand the worrisome activities in the Polish parliament continue:

http://www.thenews.pl/1/9/Artykul/230449,Polish-Sejm-approves-changes-to-Constitutional-Tribunal

Seriously, this is scary :(

Oh, and our new Minister of Defense commented that Poland understands the pain of French society after the recent terrorist attacks, as... our high command was a victim of an terrorist attack, too. As I've told you, the new government seems intent on making the "President Kaczyński was murdered by Russians" Poland's official line and even promote this conspiracy theory abroad...

Lustful Bride

Apparently Don Bluth is trying to turn the old Dragon's Lair game into a full movie.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/dragon-s-lair-the-movie/coming_soon

Zillah

I love that game. That would be cool. :)

My brother owned the whole big quarter-fed arcade version of "Space Ace" which he kept in my parents' garage. When I was in high school I could play it with my eyes closed and finish it from beginning to end. ::)

Ariel

Not accepting new RPs

Apologies | Ons/Offs | Finds | Requests + Rumbelle Craving

Jag

Ons/Offs // Request Thread (Updated 3/10/24) // Slow to Reply at the Moment

Lustful Bride

Navy veteran's house is demolished while he was away recuperating from a knee surgery.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/town-demolishes-veterans-house-while-he-has-surgery/ar-AAfLzph?li=BBnbfcL&ocid=iehp

This is just disgusting. I cant believe this kind of shit happens, as if the man didn't have a hard enough life, now hes homeless!

Mithlomwen

Quote from: Ariel on November 27, 2015, 11:52:19 PM
Planned Parenthood shooting in Colorado.

Awful. :-(

They had one on Halloween as well.  I live about 45 miles from Colorado Springs. 

What pisses me off about the whole situation is all of the finger pointing.  Right wingers are pointing fingers at liberals, liberals are pointing fingers at right wing conservatives.  Some of the comments from people are just....unbelievable.  So called 'pro-life' people praising the man for saving babies' lives by killing people.  If they are praising someone for taking someone's life, I'm not exactly sure how they can consider themselves 'pro-life'. 

There has been no report of any motive(s) for what happened yet, but naturally people are using the situation to punctuate whatever agenda they are trying to get across. 

I want to scream at everyone.  Three people lost their lives.  This is a tragedy.  This is not fodder for news media, or political agendas, or whatever else people want to use it for.  My heart breaks for the families of the people who lost their lives, and for the nine other people who were injured. 

Baby, it's all I know,
that your half of the flesh and blood that makes me whole...

Ariel

Quote from: Mithlomwen on November 28, 2015, 03:05:39 PM
They had one on Halloween as well.  I live about 45 miles from Colorado Springs. 

What pisses me off about the whole situation is all of the finger pointing.  Right wingers are pointing fingers at liberals, liberals are pointing fingers at right wing conservatives.  Some of the comments from people are just....unbelievable.  So called 'pro-life' people praising the man for saving babies' lives by killing people.  If they are praising someone for taking someone's life, I'm not exactly sure how they can consider themselves 'pro-life'. 

There has been no report of any motive(s) for what happened yet, but naturally people are using the situation to punctuate whatever agenda they are trying to get across. 

I want to scream at everyone.  Three people lost their lives.  This is a tragedy.  This is not fodder for news media, or political agendas, or whatever else people want to use it for.  My heart breaks for the families of the people who lost their lives, and for the nine other people who were injured.

I know what you mean. I support PP 100% and can't bring myself to read the reports about it, especially the ones you mentioned, about the so-called "pro-lifers". It's all just so goddamn awful.
Not accepting new RPs

Apologies | Ons/Offs | Finds | Requests + Rumbelle Craving

MasterMischief

Quote from: Mithlomwen on November 28, 2015, 03:05:39 PM
If they are praising someone for taking someone's life, I'm not exactly sure how they can consider themselves 'pro-life'.

Does anything else really need to be said?

It is a tragedy.  What angers me is that it is not an isolated event.

Skynet

So recently there's an anti-ISIS/Daeesh film coming out of Iran.

It's called the Song of My Homeland, and is a fictional story about a Muslim man about to marry a Christian woman, but ISIS soldiers kidnap his fiancee and he embarks on a journey to rescue her.  The makers of the film say that the story is inspired by real events, although the specific people in question are fictional.

What is more interesting about the film is that it's performed in Arabic, and Iran is trying to market it to audiences in the Arab world.  For Iranian moviegoers it will have subtitles in Farsi.

The news article is focusing on the more political reasons surrounding its creation, in no small part due to it getting funding from the country's government.  However, I haven't heard much about the movie's quality or popularity one way or another in the Arab world, and if it's planned to be distributed online, via traditional video and theaters, or some combination.  It seems to be recent, given the tone of the article.

Lustful Bride

Quote from: Skynet on November 29, 2015, 12:18:06 AM
So recently there's an anti-ISIS/Daeesh film coming out of Iran.

It's called the Song of My Homeland, and is a fictional story about a Muslim man about to marry a Christian woman, but ISIS soldiers kidnap his fiancee and he embarks on a journey to rescue her.  The makers of the film say that the story is inspired by real events, although the specific people in question are fictional.

What is more interesting about the film is that it's performed in Arabic, and Iran is trying to market it to audiences in the Arab world.  For Iranian moviegoers it will have subtitles in Farsi.

The news article is focusing on the more political reasons surrounding its creation, in no small part due to it getting funding from the country's government.  However, I haven't heard much about the movie's quality or popularity one way or another in the Arab world, and if it's planned to be distributed online, via traditional video and theaters, or some combination.  It seems to be recent, given the tone of the article.

I am now curious as to this movie..i hope its both well done and does well :-) a good propaganda movie can be a good story even after the war and might be just what is needed to help stem the tide of ISIS.

Cycle

Quote from: MasterMischief on November 28, 2015, 03:23:23 PM
It is a tragedy.  What angers me is that it is not an isolated event.

I want to know why none of the pro-gun folks are out there arguing that the solution is to better arm Planned Parenthood.  Come on, NRA!  Surely you have the budget to donate a half dozen Kalashnikovs to each clinic...

Mithlomwen

Quote from: Cycle on November 30, 2015, 09:04:23 PM
I want to know why none of the pro-gun folks are out there arguing that the solution is to better arm Planned Parenthood.  Come on, NRA!  Surely you have the budget to donate a half dozen Kalashnikovs to each clinic...

Have you also noticed that the majority of the GOP candidates, and the republicans who led the charge in trying to get PP de-funded and were the ones spreading false accusations and videos (Carly Fiorina and her ilk) have been completely silent about the entire incident?
Baby, it's all I know,
that your half of the flesh and blood that makes me whole...

gaggedLouise

Quote from: Lustful Bride on November 29, 2015, 09:33:15 AM
I am now curious as to this movie..i hope its both well done and does well :-) a good propaganda movie can be a good story even after the war and might be just what is needed to help stem the tide of ISIS.

I'd really like to see that film too, and the few Iranian films I've seen haven't been dodgy at all when it came to production values or acting.

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

TaintedAndDelish

Quote from: Cycle on November 30, 2015, 09:04:23 PM

He might have caused a lot more damage if he was unable to get his hands on a gun and had to settle for a can of gasoline and a book of matches. Yeah, you can take away the guns, but you still have to deal with the pissed off jerks who want to hurt people. For this reason, banning guns seems kind of short sighted to me.

Oniya

Quote from: TaintedAndDelish on November 30, 2015, 10:20:01 PM
He might have caused a lot more damage if he was unable to get his hands on a gun and had to settle for a can of gasoline and a book of matches. Yeah, you can take away the guns, but you still have to deal with the pissed off jerks who want to hurt people. For this reason, banning guns seems kind of short sighted to me.

In this case, it's less about the actual treatment of gun ownership and more about the way that the NRA has been responding to every single other shooting incident in the last few months.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

TaintedAndDelish

"Can you see me now?"
"Can you see me now."
"Can you see me now."

No? Meh.... damn street vendors and their smoke spewing carts...

It seems that (parts of) China is back in the news again regarding the smog.
http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2015/11/30/world/asia/ap-as-china-pollution.html?_r=0

"Communist leaders have tightened emissions standards and are investing in solar, wind and other renewable energy. But the country still depends on coal for more than 60 percent of its power."

While China has already invested quite heavily in solar, I can't help but wonder if there comes a point where solar is not usable or viable during peak hours due to smog? A sort of point of no return or tipping point. I understand this is happening only in a few very dense cities only.

Real-time air quality index here: http://aqicn.org/city/beijing/

Lustful Bride

US Deploying Special Forces to Iraq to put pressure upon ISIS forces.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/us-deploying-special-force-to-boost-fight-against-islamic-state/ar-AAfTnsC?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=iehp

Though technically we have already been doing this so...I guess were just making it official now :P

Ironwolf85

Quote from: Lustful Bride on December 01, 2015, 10:21:23 AM
US Deploying Special Forces to Iraq to put pressure upon ISIS forces.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/us-deploying-special-force-to-boost-fight-against-islamic-state/ar-AAfTnsC?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=iehp

Though technically we have already been doing this so...I guess were just making it official now :P

now that it's official basically it means the commandos are off the leash. Don't have to be careful to deny operations or play with red tape.
Prudence, justice, temperance, courage, faith, hope, love...
debate any other aspect of my faith these are the heavenly virtues. this flawed mortal is going to try to adhere to them.

Culture: the ability to carve an intricate and beautiful bowl from the skull of a fallen enemy.
Civilization: the ability to put that psycho in prision for killing people.

AmberStarfire

I'm curious whether anyone else has been following this story.

(Trigger warning: rape)

Ironwolf85

I had no idea... now I do... I wanna smack him
Prudence, justice, temperance, courage, faith, hope, love...
debate any other aspect of my faith these are the heavenly virtues. this flawed mortal is going to try to adhere to them.

Culture: the ability to carve an intricate and beautiful bowl from the skull of a fallen enemy.
Civilization: the ability to put that psycho in prision for killing people.

Zillah

This has just upset me so much. I've been staying away from the Internet. Too many comments about why it's okay to rape sex workers. Ugh. :(

Aiyanna

Quote from: Zillah on December 01, 2015, 08:02:17 PM
This has just upset me so much. I've been staying away from the Internet. Too many comments about why it's okay to rape sex workers. Ugh. :(

That is disgusting.

I know it's equally horrible, but I get an 'eye-for-an-eye' mentality with people who make comments like that. They should experience something as awful as rape before they say it is okay for it to happen to someone else. Then I feel bad about such thoughts when I'm done being angry, but still.

And people wonder why I say I like animals better than the majority of the human population.
When you message me, please use the same message thread every time.
Ideas
O/o's

Lustful Bride

Is it bad I didn't really know who this Deen was?

Also I feel the internet it (as always) just the worst example of humanity, don't pay the too much mind.