WH40000 - what's your opinion?

Started by Beorning, August 09, 2014, 03:58:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

consortium11

Quote from: HairyHeretic on December 02, 2014, 04:17:59 PM
There's been at least one live action movie, a fan made one called Damnatus. I believe you can find it online if you go looking.

There's also the CGI one that's in production, The Lord Inquisitor.

For a live action movie, I'd love to see The Horus Heresy done. I know with all the books they've released it would be next to impossible to cram more than a fraction of that into even a trilogy. Maybe something like GoT though, a multi season mini series ... that'd work.

There was also the Ultramarines Movie; hit and miss but worth a watch.

I think the issue with doing any the "big" storylines as a live action is scale and budget. They're too big for even a three hour movie to be able to do more than scratch the surface but while a TV or mini-series would have the time it would likely lack the budget; GoT can only really afford to do one "set piece" episode a season and considering that the vast scale is one of the things that is most attractive about 40K trying to do the Heresy or the Armageddon Wars (either of them) without it would be fairly weak.

Realistically I think the most practical base for a series would be an inquisitor and their companions; you get to have an ensemble cast who can represent different aspects of the 40K universe, investigating different cases fits neatly into a "of the week + overarching story" format and, especially if you fudge which order of the Inquisition the inquisitor works for you can touch on almost all of the 40K universe; one week he's dealing with a Chaos cult, the next a genestealer infestation, then some Eldar can show up on a world, wait a week and some Necrons have risen etc etc.

On a side note has anyone being paying attention to Fantasy Battle recently? Games Workshop have seemingly pressed the big red button and gone all out with huge changes to the established order/plot and it all looks lined up to be one huge climactic battle; there's more than enough rumors that they intend to finish with FB after this and this is it going out with a bang. We've already had lots of established named characters either die or go through huge changes (now reflected in their mechanics) and it doesn't look like it's stopping any time soon.

Hemingway

I just picked up some Dark Elves, so I hope they're not going to discontinue the whole game. I don't see how they could, though. Any source on the speculation?

I haven't really been paying attention to the lore recently. But then, WH40K has been getting more and more of an 'end times' feel recently, too. It seems pretty inevitable the Tyranids will wipe out everything.

EDIT: Well, I found some of the speculation surrounding it. It still seems pretty unlikely GW will either discontinue their major games, or go out of business. Still, what do I know?

Lustful Bride

Maybe some absolutely massive Tyranid swarm will come and it won't end things but set off some big chain of events?

*crosses fingers that the groups ally with eachother.*

Just imagine an alliance of convenience. The Imperium, The Tau, and ( maybe) The Eldar. Together.

They would be unstoppable. >:)

Hemingway

Well, their enemies are more numerous and already unstoppable, so ... ;)

Beorning

On another note: my copy of Dark Heresy 2E arrived today!

First impression after browsing through the book: it looks *gorgeous*. Full colour, awesome illustrations... Although I must say that the illustrations really give the impression that the world of WH40K is totally crazy  ;D

Second observation: there seems to be no mention of the Sisters in the book! I thought that this is a game where I could play one..??? Among backgrounds for the Acolytes, there is the Adeptus Ministorum background... but does it cover the Sisters?

HairyHeretic

Coming in the new supplement book. I saw an ad for it the other day :)
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Beorning

Aaaargh! Now I'll have to get this supplement!

Hmmm! This is just wrong. The Sisters are such an important part of the Inquisition... How come they are not in the core rulebook? You can play all kinds of scribes and so on, but not a Sister? Weird.

On another note, I looked at the weapons section and I saw the stats for the melta guns... Wow. These things are *dangerous*...

BTW. I was surprised to learn that the bolters are something else than machine guns. How do they work again?

BTW 2. I was also surprised to learn that various planets in the Imperium have different forms of religion. I expected the Imperial Creed to be more uniform... Also, I was surprised to learn that the majority of the people in the Imperium doesn't know about Chaos and the daemons?

HairyHeretic

Quote from: Beorning on December 03, 2014, 04:20:57 PM
Aaaargh! Now I'll have to get this supplement!

Hmmm! This is just wrong. The Sisters are such an important part of the Inquisition... How come they are not in the core rulebook? You can play all kinds of scribes and so on, but not a Sister? Weird.

http://fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=5232

Sisters are most strongly linked to the Ordo Hereticus. I sounds like they're doing one supplement for each Ordo, with the core book being relevent to everyone.

On another note, I looked at the weapons section and I saw the stats for the melta guns... Wow. These things are *dangerous*...

Yep. They're designed to crack open battle tanks after all.

BTW. I was surprised to learn that the bolters are something else than machine guns. How do they work again?

Think of them as a rapid fire miniature rocket launcher.

BTW 2. I was also surprised to learn that various planets in the Imperium have different forms of religion. I expected the Imperial Creed to be more uniform... Also, I was surprised to learn that the majority of the people in the Imperium doesn't know about Chaos and the daemons?

A lot of people in the Imperium aren't happy with their lot. If they knew Chaos existed, some could consider that a viable alternative, and hence turn to it.

To quote a couple of 40k lines I've come across, "Knowledge is Power, hide it well" and "Blessed is the mind too small for doubt."

As regards the Imperial Creed, as long as everyone worships the Emperor as the pinnacle, the rest is details, and allows missionaries to incorporate elements of native beliefs and turn them to the Imperial creed, making it easier for the natives worship to shift.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Beorning

Quote from: HairyHeretic on December 03, 2014, 04:29:17 PM
http://fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=5232

Sisters are most strongly linked to the Ordo Hereticus. I sounds like they're doing one supplement for each Ordo, with the core book being relevent to everyone.

"First quartet of 2015" aaaaaagh!!! I want it right now...

Think of them as a rapid fire miniature rocket launcher.

And their bullets explode inside the targets, right?

To quote a couple of 40k lines I've come across, "Knowledge is Power, hide it well" and "Blessed is the mind too small for doubt."

Fun quotes...  ;D

Beorning

BTW. A question about force weapons: they have to be wielded by psykers, right? So, if a Space Marine uses a force sword, he's a psyker, correctly?

Now: the Sister Superior I purchased for my Sisters army uses a force sword. So, this implies that she's a psyker, too?

HairyHeretic

IIRC force weapons act as power weapons for most models. Only a psyker would be able to use them to their full potential.

I think it more likely your Sister Superior has a power sword, rather than a force sword.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Hemingway

Just to elaborate on what Hairy said, a Force weapon needs to be 'activated' for it to actually function as a Force weapon.

By the way. There's a new-ish release on Steam: WH40K Armageddon. Hex-based strategy game along the lines of, ah, Panzer General? It's not a gorgeous game, but it's filled with absolutely insane numbers of different units to use ( Imperium and Orks ), so it might be worth a look for people into that type of game.

consortium11

Quote from: Hemingway on December 04, 2014, 05:30:38 AM
Just to elaborate on what Hairy said, a Force weapon needs to be 'activated' for it to actually function as a Force weapon.

By the way. There's a new-ish release on Steam: WH40K Armageddon. Hex-based strategy game along the lines of, ah, Panzer General? It's not a gorgeous game, but it's filled with absolutely insane numbers of different units to use ( Imperium and Orks ), so it might be worth a look for people into that type of game.

At the same time if you're into that type of game there's nothing to make it different from Panzer Corps (which it is essentially just a reskin of) other than the fact that it's 40K units and they've got just about every variation of Imperial tank that you can imagine. In additions Titans are pretty unimpressive; there's not the selection you'd like, they can't be customised, they don't look or act "large" on the battlefield and frankly they're not even that effective. You're also largely prevented from playing as the Orks outside of multiplayer and a couple of the skirmish maps.

Considering you can pick up Panzer Corps for a lot less money to get basically the same game (and in some ways better) I think you'd have to be a huge 40K nut to buy the game.

Hemingway

Quote from: consortium11 on December 04, 2014, 06:43:37 AM
Considering you can pick up Panzer Corps for a lot less money to get basically the same game (and in some ways better) I think you'd have to be a huge 40K nut to buy the game.

I think those were the conclusions of TotalBiscuit, too. :P

Beorning

Quote from: HairyHeretic on December 03, 2014, 05:39:41 PM
IIRC force weapons act as power weapons for most models. Only a psyker would be able to use them to their full potential.

I think it more likely your Sister Superior has a power sword, rather than a force sword.

Quote from: Hemingway on December 04, 2014, 05:30:38 AM

Wait, power weapons and force weapons aren't the same? Okay, I missed that bit...

Hemingway

Quote from: Beorning on December 04, 2014, 10:22:15 AM
Wait, power weapons and force weapons aren't the same? Okay, I missed that bit...

Well, now you know. ;D

Beorning

One learns something every day  ;D

But if it is, then it looks like power weapons aren't available as equipment in DH. Strange...

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Beorning on December 04, 2014, 10:27:39 AM
One learns something every day  ;D

But if it is, then it looks like power weapons aren't available as equipment in DH. Strange...

Which edition? I easily found two power weapons- the Power Blade and the Power Sword in DH1e. Force weapons, on the other hand, weren't available at all.

Beorning

*checks the book*

Alright, disregard what I said. Power weapons are there, I missed them... or, rather, I conflated them with force weapons. Both types of these weapons are available in 2E.

Aaaah, I want to play this game!

On another note, I just primed a new model: a Canoness. She'll be a new step in difficulty for me, as it's the first model I'll be doing that comes in multiple parts. She has multiple hands with various weapons to choose from... I wonder how it'll go with glueing it all together. Also, I'll have to make decisions as to what weapons to give her...

Hemingway

What are her weapon options?

Also, if you're being patient enough to paint her parts separately, my advice would be to go real slow. Leaders should always look better than the rank and file. :D

Beorning

Quote from: Hemingway on December 04, 2014, 04:58:57 PM
What are her weapon options?

Well, for one hand, she can be equipped with a bolt pistol or an inferno pistol. In the other hand, she can be holding an ordinary chainsword, a special sword with better stats (it costs additional points, though), a book or a scroll. The book and the scroll have no offensive powers, but they have some beneficial effects on the troops.

Also, if you're being patient enough to paint her parts separately, my advice would be to go real slow. Leaders should always look better than the rank and file. :D

I know, I'll be trying to make her look good. She'll be a lot of work, definitely - she has so many small details to paint...

HairyHeretic

Quote from: Beorning on December 04, 2014, 05:22:38 PM
Well, for one hand, she can be equipped with a bolt pistol or an inferno pistol. In the other hand, she can be holding an ordinary chainsword, a special sword with better stats (it costs additional points, though), a book or a scroll. The book and the scroll have no offensive powers, but they have some beneficial effects on the troops.

I'd probably kit her out with the Inferno pistol and sword (almost certainly a power sword). You can always model the book / scroll attached to her armour if you want to take them as wargear, and if you don't take them as wargear, they're just decoration on the model (because it looks cool :) )

Stuff like this would likely work well with the Sisters models

http://maxmini.eu/conversion-bits/equipment-and-accessories/candles-books-skulls-bits

Quote from: Beorning on December 04, 2014, 05:22:38 PM
I know, I'll be trying to make her look good. She'll be a lot of work, definitely - she has so many small details to paint...

Sounds about right for a character model.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Hemingway

I'm with Hairy on the Inferno Pistol and Power Sword ( if that's what she can get ). Inferno Pistol would be worth getting just because it's such an iconic piece of Sisters gear.

Without knowing what the other wargear does, it's hard to say. Generally, though, how much kit you want to give your units depends on how many points you want to aim for in total. In lower point games, more bodies counts for more than having one neat piece of equipment. That's generally speaking. Of course there are exceptions to this - and some gear is more or less mandatory, but it's something to go by.

HairyHeretic

Quote from: Beorning on December 04, 2014, 11:50:30 AM
*checks the book*

Alright, disregard what I said. Power weapons are there, I missed them... or, rather, I conflated them with force weapons. Both types of these weapons are available in 2E.

Aaaah, I want to play this game!

Have you considered trying your hand at running it, or do you only want to play?

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Lanaestra

Quote from: HairyHeretic on November 22, 2014, 04:15:34 AM
Probably a long shot, but do any of the Marine players here happen to have leftover bits from the Sternguard plastics? I'd like to try and get hold of some of the alternate bolters with drum and box magazines and don't particularly feel like picking up the whole set for a handfull of guns :)
I've got a few sitting around I'd probably be willing to part with.

Vet sergeant I'm working on, still not sure what color I want to go with for the motor casing on the chainsword.