The Search for Miyeritar's Lost Light: D&D 3.5/Forgotten Realms

Started by Paladin101, June 08, 2014, 01:19:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paladin101

Been looking over the apps and I'm seeing Ruby,Muse,Blinkin, and Auto so far from the interest thread who have come to make characters. That fills four of the spots. If by tomorrow the other two from the interest thread havn't come to claim a spot or post a character, I will start filling in slots from the other applicants.

As far as the Binder goes, I'm willing to see what happens, but as I said, I would recommend a different magic user class. Not to make this an ultimatum, but if I'm looking at who to put into the game, I'm more likely to place a wizard character in, rather than the unknown variable. Again, as a DM I hate to say no to a player, but the overall group cohesion is more important to me than one player getting his ultimate character choice.

RubySlippers

There are other options a cleric worshipping one, a sorcerer empowered by one or a bard studying them and using music to open little gates and tapping them. Just get creative.  ;D

EroticFantasyAuthor

I am interested in this, don't yet have a concept. Thinking possibly a ranger/refluffed Justice of Weald and Woe.

Would limited knowledge of Forgotten Realms be a problem?

Also, would it be possible to do a consolidated skill list similar to Pathfinder's? Hide and Move Silently become Stealth; Spot, Listen and Search become Perception, etc.

Isengrad

Quote from: Blinkin on June 09, 2014, 08:35:27 PM
To be honest, one of the games that I'm in here on E just had a major blow up over a binder who summoned a demon in a party of all good characters and it was a huge disaster and almost broke up the game over it... I would, personally, advise against a binder as it seems that demons are the prefered creatures to summon and it may end up killing a game.

I'm curious to how that happened, cause as far as I know the only summoning a Binder does is of the vestige he chooses to bind to for that day. Even then what you see is just an Illusion. A representation of the entity you are offering to house and let live vicariously through you for the day in exchange for a few abilities it possesed in life. but since everyone here seems so unsure of what effects a binder will have on the game Ill put that on the back burner.

Would psionics or magic of the incarnum be avilable? or should i stick to the 3 core and splat books like complete mage, adventure, champion, warrior and scoundrel?

original artwork by karabiner

Blinkin

I don't know a thing about binding; let me start off with that.

From what I seem to figure out, a true name was used a circle of protection or binding and then anchored via a spell. The PC rolled well enough (and a player who he found to play the NPC) agreed to a years long servitude in a physical form. The player wanted some nooky after isolating himself from the party by acting superior and condensating to everyone.

Anyway, if the binder had summoned a good or neutral thing, the party probably would of been ok, but something was said that deons are more powerful and he designed his character specifically to summon and bind demons.
"I am a Southern Gentleman, which means that I'm a rogue and a scoundrel. When I'm not kissin' the hands of married women, I'm slipping off their wedding rings."
My Ons' & offs'
Absenses & Apologies (Updated 3/02/23)
Blinkins' Thinkin's (Story Ideas)
Yes, I really am blind.
Being Literate is the ability to read and understand a language. When you ask for literate, what you are looking for is Verbosity, which is the ability to use lots of words without actually saying very much... like politicians. I consider myself both literate and verbose.

Isengrad

Sounds like truename magic, in the same book actually, but binders do not actually cast any spells. They act as vessels for vestiges, beings that may have once been gods or powerful mortals but afre now only a shadow of their former selves. In exchangee for acting as a vessel for he vestige to once again experiance life the spirits grant the binder a fraction of the power they held in life.

Everything that is granted to them is a supernatural ability, even weapon and armor proficiancies, so in the area of an anti magic zone they can be hindered greatly.  Binder represent versitilty as their role in the party can change depending on what vestiges they are bound to.

It is not risk free magic though. The pact making process requires a cha check and if you fail the dc for the given vestige you make a poor pact, the vestige can now subtly influnce your actions and behavior. If you resist that influce you suffer penelties to your rolls for each instace until the vestige is expelled. Take Aym,The Queen of Averice. Under her influce you become greedy, begrudging every coin or object or worth either you or your party must give to anyone else, at the same time she requires you give a coin to any dwarf within 10 rounds of learning his name.

Paladin101

EroticFantasyAuthor: No sorry mate skills are gonna stand as per normal 3.5 skill lists.

Blinkin: Think the guy who caused trouble actually wasn't the Binder now that I look back at what he did. Think he was a specialized wizard using that true name magic stuff. The Binder is actually one of the quiet members of the group having conversations inside his head with two entities.

Isen: I've glanced over the Binder, and it is something that could work, but could cause mischief. Like I said feel free to write up the sheet and the character, and I'll try to read the Binder more thoroughly today and if I come across something that makes me absolutely forbid it, I will get back to you.

Isengrad

OK, I will roll up the Binder and have it posted, along with his most common Vestige bound since he can only bind 1 to him at 6th level.

Rajah

Quote from: Blinkin on June 10, 2014, 04:14:14 AM
I don't know a thing about binding; let me start off with that.

It's really simple. You "bind" an entity; this is a 24-hour buff with a bunch of odd features. Active-use features generally recharge in 5 rounds, passive features are passive. You have a lot of entities to choose from, and as you gain levels you can bind more at once and bind more powerful entities. Most of their features tend towards Dexterity-based roguelike melee or Strength-based heavy melee, and they get a lot of utility tricks. Highly versatile self-buffing melee class. Commonly featured as a one-level dip for other builds; dedicated binders are effective but, like many classes with unique mechanics, nearly impossible to optimize. Their strength comes from their weird utility as much as their actual focused combat powers. Binders are Tier 3, like warlocks, rogues, dread necromancers, and crusaders.

There is one (1) Vestige that allows you to summon, from one of Wizards' official online Class Chronicles articles. Zceryll or something like that, an alienist whose traffic with the Far Realms drove her mad and led her into an unwise bargain from which she never recovered. Fairly high-level, summons pseudonatural (rather than fiendish or celestial) creatures, probably the best vestige because one Summon Monster every five rounds is great in the very rare sustained engagements of D&D.
"They say even the proudest spirits can be broken...with love."

-The Beldame (CORALINE by Neil Gaiman)

Paladin101

As I've read more of the Binder, I see no reason to forbid it. I do however warn the player to the fact that if I read it correctly, you have visible signs of your pacts, from coughing dirt all day to growing rams horns, depending on whom you bind, as well as the risk of losing a battle of will against the vestige and finding your actions guided by this external force. As a result, I can't get upset if other players then see you as consorting with demons, and being in a good party, if they then see you as a threat to be watched. Especially with a potential crusader/paladin type possibly being in the party. So if you're willing to deal with the RP repurcussions of your class choice, I'm fine with seeing where it goes.

Paladin101

Also, aiming to later this afternoon look through the thread at anyone who has submitted a bio and start plunking people in as officially part of the group or not. I figure two days is plenty of time to give the last two from the interest thread time to state their intent to make a character in this thread. So, those of you working on a bio, get it in by later this afternoon if you can! As I said the four from the interest thread who have given me sheets are in for certain already. Once I get the selection process done I will try to get an IC, OOC, and Character Sheet thread put up in one of the forums...not really sure which one I should go with as I'm not sure what kind of smexy times people will be looking for. Anyone has any input on that feel free to give it! Anyhoo, back to work for me, and more thinking up what the opening post shall be!

Blinkin

I usually go for NC exotic small groups just to cover all of the potential basis. Unless one of the ladies of the party wants to hook up with Jason, I don't see much sexy time taking place for him.... he's human and good looking, but like a dwarf, not going to get a lot of action. lol
"I am a Southern Gentleman, which means that I'm a rogue and a scoundrel. When I'm not kissin' the hands of married women, I'm slipping off their wedding rings."
My Ons' & offs'
Absenses & Apologies (Updated 3/02/23)
Blinkins' Thinkin's (Story Ideas)
Yes, I really am blind.
Being Literate is the ability to read and understand a language. When you ask for literate, what you are looking for is Verbosity, which is the ability to use lots of words without actually saying very much... like politicians. I consider myself both literate and verbose.

Jefepato

Quote from: Paladin101 on June 10, 2014, 12:29:29 PMSo, those of you working on a bio, get it in by later this afternoon if you can!
Uh, I'll try.  I have an errand to run this afternoon but I should be able to get something up after that.

Paladin101

Quote from: Jefepato on June 10, 2014, 01:20:02 PM
Uh, I'll try.  I have an errand to run this afternoon but I should be able to get something up after that.

You have the basic character sheet up Jefepato, that's enough for me to look at and consider ya for entry. So you're good, though once I get an IC thread up, if yer in the game please no posts until you've completed the bio.

Isengrad

Almost done with the sheet, and have a basic bio in mind that I can fluff up. Normal restriction on purchaseing gear. no more the helf your gold can go towards a weapon?

Paladin101

RubySlippers

Quote from: Blinkin on June 10, 2014, 01:18:51 PM
I usually go for NC exotic small groups just to cover all of the potential basis. Unless one of the ladies of the party wants to hook up with Jason, I don't see much sexy time taking place for him.... he's human and good looking, but like a dwarf, not going to get a lot of action. lol

My character is betrothed so no, she has her darling honey bee at home waiting.   ;D

EroticFantasyAuthor

Quote from: Paladin101 on June 10, 2014, 12:29:29 PM
Also, aiming to later this afternoon look through the thread at anyone who has submitted a bio and start plunking people in as officially part of the group or not. I figure two days is plenty of time to give the last two from the interest thread time to state their intent to make a character in this thread. So, those of you working on a bio, get it in by later this afternoon if you can! As I said the four from the interest thread who have given me sheets are in for certain already. Once I get the selection process done I will try to get an IC, OOC, and Character Sheet thread put up in one of the forums...not really sure which one I should go with as I'm not sure what kind of smexy times people will be looking for. Anyone has any input on that feel free to give it! Anyhoo, back to work for me, and more thinking up what the opening post shall be!

Am I one of those 6 from the early interest check thread?

RubySlippers

Paladin101

Quote from: EroticFantasyAuthor on June 10, 2014, 03:08:01 PM
Am I one of those 6 from the early interest check thread?

No your post in that thread came after I had moved past interest into full scale recruitment. :)

EroticFantasyAuthor

Will hopefully have bioed submitted shortly.

A few rules-type questions on material.

Would it be okay to use the following home-brewed half-elven subrace?

Half Human Wood Elf

Same as normal except for the following

- +2 Racial skill bonus to Survival, replaces the bonuses to Diplomacy and Gather Information

- Martial Weapon Proficiency for Longbow and Shortbow

- Favored Class: Ranger

Also, would it be a problem to use the Elf Subsitiution Levels found in Races of the Wild, him being a half-elf that was pretty much raised as a wood elf. Would also like to refluff the favored enemy from orcs to gnolls.

EroticFantasyAuthor

Quote from: Paladin101 on June 10, 2014, 03:22:54 PM
No your post in that thread came after I had moved past interest into full scale recruitment. :)

Aye, that's what I figured, especially since I really only asked about switching to Pathfinder. But hopefully I'll make it into the 7th or 8th slot  :-)

Paladin101

Quote from: EroticFantasyAuthor on June 10, 2014, 03:29:48 PM
Aye, that's what I figured, especially since I really only asked about switching to Pathfinder. But hopefully I'll make it into the 7th or 8th slot  :-)

Feel free to whip up a character and submit. I should be done at work in the next hour or two and that's when I'll go through and make my initial selection. May be a few spots after I've pruned through depending on how many have submitted actual bios, don't think there is even 8 bios in the thread as of yet. Could be wrong though.

EroticFantasyAuthor

Quote from: EroticFantasyAuthor on June 10, 2014, 03:28:51 PM
Will hopefully have bioed submitted shortly.

A few rules-type questions on material.

Would it be okay to use the following home-brewed half-elven subrace?

Half Human Wood Elf

Same as normal except for the following

- +2 Racial skill bonus to Survival, replaces the bonuses to Diplomacy and Gather Information

- Martial Weapon Proficiency for Longbow and Shortbow

- Favored Class: Ranger

Also, would it be a problem to use the Elf Subsitiution Levels found in Races of the Wild, him being a half-elf that was pretty much raised as a wood elf. Would also like to refluff the favored enemy from orcs to gnolls.

My apologizes, should have edited my last reply the quoted post, would these be a problem?

Paladin101

Quote from: EroticFantasyAuthor on June 10, 2014, 03:40:21 PM
My apologizes, should have edited my last reply the quoted post, would these be a problem?

Hrm. I'm normally against home brew, but I've always felt the half elf race was in need of a boost, so I generally end up giving it a lil something extra anyway. Leave Favored Class as Any as all half elves are.

As for the Elf Substitution levels, I am fine with you using them since you are playing the character as having been raised among the elves. However I'm going to stop you at replacing the favored enemy. The whole point of the substitution class is that your favored enemy choice as a ranger is replaced with races whom are traditional enemies of the elves. So I would require you to pick off of the list the book provides.