The Gauntlet Has Been Thrown: The Future of Superhero Movies

Started by Mathim, November 18, 2014, 02:35:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mia h

If found acting like an idiot, apply Gibbs-slap to reboot system.

Mathim

Quote from: mia h on July 12, 2015, 03:43:56 PM
It's hardly every other year but it can be hard to keep track of things at times

http://comicsalliance.com/dc-comics-reboot-history/

No kidding. That's why I'm glad the films usually only take inspiration from storylines and not make direct adaptations. Leaves room for creativity and drawing upon lots of different elements from numerous versions. Hence the small discussion about the extent of Apocalypse's powers a few posts ago.

Everyone here has seen that Dirty Laundry thing on youtube, right? With Tom Jane and Ron Perlman, about a certain kick-ass Marvel character we're going to be seeing more of soon? Wouldn't it be awesome if they could take that little scene and cram it into the MCU somehow? That would be so bomb. It was something so cool it didn't deserve to remain an unconnected, unofficial type of production.

Well, in case anyone hasn't been treated to the eye-orgasm-inducing scene, here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWpK0wsnitc
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

TheGlyphstone

I didn't have the slightest clue who that was supposed to be until the very end, when i figured it out all of a sudden - right before the kid unfolded the T-shirt, I knew what was going to be on the front. And yeah, I had an eyegasm.

Mathim

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on July 12, 2015, 08:54:02 PM
I didn't have the slightest clue who that was supposed to be until the very end, when i figured it out all of a sudden - right before the kid unfolded the T-shirt, I knew what was going to be on the front. And yeah, I had an eyegasm.

See? And that's fan-made. Why don't more studios get that their biggest supporters should be involved in production in some capacity?
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

Beorning

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on July 12, 2015, 08:54:02 PM
I didn't have the slightest clue who that was supposed to be until the very end, when i figured it out all of a sudden

Really? I guessed the man's identity almost immediately...

Mathim

Quote from: Beorning on July 13, 2015, 07:13:48 AM

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
Well I knew he was the Punisher from the movie, but since I didn't think they were allowed to make something like that without the permission of the parent company, I didn't even think about it when I first started watching it the first time a few years ago. A friend just told me, "Dude, you need to see this" and then by the time I saw him whacking dudes with the bottle, I started to think maybe copyright laws weren't so strict after all. But the clincher was still in the end with the t-shirt reveal. I mean, wouldn't this have made a better movie than War Zone, with an intro like this? A follow-up to the one with the origin story and John Travolta, which I didn't think was half-bad although most audiences probably disagreed.

Beorning

Funnily...
... I didn't know this actor played the Punisher in the movie :) It's just that I started watching, knowing that there's a comic book connection - and after the first scene, the guy's identity seemed obvious.

mia h

Rumors out of Comi-con are that there is going to be a Green Lantern Corps movie with both Hal Jordan & John Stewart. It's not clear if this is the 2019 Green Lantern movie or something else, there are also rumors of a solo Batman movie which currently isn't on the development slate.
If found acting like an idiot, apply Gibbs-slap to reboot system.

CaptainNexus616

All I have to say about Dirty Laundry. That was one sturdy bottle lol

As for Green Lantern that could work...I guess? Normally they have only one Green Lantern per sector of the Universe granted this has been exempted with Earth in the comics and cartoons.

As for Batman if they wanted to they could go ahead and set up a Red Hood confrontation. Introduce the Joker who is locked up and eventually escapes and then lead up to the big confrontation like in the animated movie they did a few years back.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ FLIP THIS TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ ヽ(°□°ヽ) FLIP THAT TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ \(`Д´)/ ︵ ┻━┻ FLIP ALL THE TABLES
▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ Sorry, I just dropped my bag of Doritos in my signature again. ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄┐( °ー ° )┌

Beorning

Quote from: CaptainNexus616 on July 13, 2015, 10:06:01 AM

Right, wasn't it? I thought the same thing :)

As for Green Lantern that could work...I guess? Normally they have only one Green Lantern per sector of the Universe granted this has been exempted with Earth in the comics and cartoons.

Actually, lately it's two Lanterns per sector (unless DC changed things again).

Deamonbane

That was fanmade? With Ron Pearlman and Thomas Jane?
Angry Sex: Because it's Impolite to say," You pissed me off so much I wanna fuck your brains out..."

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Deamonbane on July 13, 2015, 11:31:57 AM
That was fanmade? With Ron Pearlman and Thomas Jane?

Which probably explains the level of uality. Actors from comic book movies are often comic book fans. They also have lots of money to burn.

Quote from: Beorning on July 13, 2015, 07:13:48 AM

Actually, my first thought was Bullseye - I was expecting him to throw the bottle of alcohol, not use it as a club, and the pinpoint shots of the redirected gun into people's forehead reinforced that early. So I knew it was a comic book character, but I guessed the wrong guy.

Beorning

Hm. Somehow, I was sure that the character in question would be a hero :)

Anyway... here's a first look at DC's Suicide Squad:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WI3hecGO_04

I... don't like it. Although I'm happy that they didn't make Waller into a hot babe, like in the New 52 continuity...

Mathim

Quote from: CaptainNexus616 on July 13, 2015, 10:06:01 AM

As for Batman if they wanted to they could go ahead and set up a Red Hood confrontation. Introduce the Joker who is locked up and eventually escapes and then lead up to the big confrontation like in the animated movie they did a few years back.

Well in the Justice League Cartoon, I had thought Kyle Rayner (who became GL during the Superman animated series) had retired and passed the ring onto Stewart. But way later, in JLU, it turns out he's still working for the Corps but isn't around Earth like Stewart. So it's not unheard of for multiple GL's from the same planet or sector to be on duty at the same time.

Quote from: mia h on July 13, 2015, 09:38:39 AM
Rumors out of Comi-con are that there is going to be a Green Lantern Corps movie with both Hal Jordan & John Stewart. It's not clear if this is the 2019 Green Lantern movie or something else, there are also rumors of a solo Batman movie which currently isn't on the development slate.

I was hoping they'd bring in John Stewart. Both cinematic universes need more non-forced diversity.

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on July 13, 2015, 12:07:32 PM
Which probably explains the level of uality. Actors from comic book movies are often comic book fans. They also have lots of money to burn.

Actually, my first thought was Bullseye - I was expecting him to throw the bottle of alcohol, not use it as a club, and the pinpoint shots of the redirected gun into people's forehead reinforced that early. So I knew it was a comic book character, but I guessed the wrong guy.

Yeah, Jane and Perlman are apparently big fans and weren't opposed to working without pay. But god DAMN, they blew this project up to being better than some of Hollywood's efforts! Would love to see Perlman in the MCU soon.

Quote from: Beorning on July 13, 2015, 04:12:14 PM
Hm. Somehow, I was sure that the character in question would be a hero :)

Anyway... here's a first look at DC's Suicide Squad:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WI3hecGO_04

I... don't like it. Although I'm happy that they didn't make Waller into a hot babe, like in the New 52 continuity...

I watched it with no sound (I'm at work) and it actually looked fairly good to me, although I think there was a little too much Harley Quinn and not enough Joker (though I can understand why). I'm liking what I saw with Deadshot, both his costume and how Will Smith is pulling off the look. Killer Croc looks boss too, would love to see him go up against the Bat.

Can you imagine walking down a dark street and seeing the 6 or so of them coming up towards you in that formation, in those outfits and with those weapons? Talk about something that would make you piss yourself!

Beorning

Quote from: Mathim on July 13, 2015, 04:14:15 PM
I watched it with no sound (I'm at work) and it actually looked fairly good to me, although I think there was a little too much Harley Quinn and not enough Joker (though I can understand why). I'm liking what I saw with Deadshot, both his costume and how Will Smith is pulling off the look. Killer Croc looks boss too, would love to see him go up against the Bat.

Can you imagine walking down a dark street and seeing the 6 or so of them coming up towards you in that formation, in those outfits and with those weapons? Talk about something that would make you piss yourself!

I don't know. All of this seems... too gritty for me. I realize that a Suicide Squad movie must be gritty to an extent, but the problem is that all of DC's movies are gritty lately... and full of forced pseudo-realism. The fun of the superhero / supervillain genre has been sucked out of these movies...

When it comes to the Joker, this version is nearly unrecognizable for me - they seem to have made him into some sort of horror slasher here. When it comes to Harley... I'm not sure. She looks interesting, but again - not like the upbeat Harley we know from comics...

Oh, and Jared Leto is really trying to emulate Heath Ledger's take on Joker's voice... I wish he was more original.

Mathim

I forgot to mention, I wonder if that Dirty Laundry clip increased sales of Jack Daniels in the way that the Avengers increased patronage at Shawarma restaurants?

CuriousEyes

I actually enjoy the "grit/realism" focus in DC films, if only as a contrast to Marvel. With that said, I can't help but think that they're still missing the mark on this film - if only because I don't think most of these characters are going to be people that casual fans of comics (myself included) recognize.

I realize that DC is trying to create a whole stable of characters all at once, and I do think that a movie set around repositioned villains sounds interesting. But I can't help but think they'd have been better served by making hero-centric films first where at least some of these villains were the antagonists and then followed up with Suicide Squad.

I just can't imagine you can fit in enough exposition to explain the who and what of all these characters in one movie. I dunno.

...Meanwhile I'm torn on Harley Quinn and Joker. Much different take on them both. Not saying it can't work, but it's a risk.

And speaking of the Joker... I hope it's not spoilery 'cause it's just speculation, but is he the antagonist of Suicide Squad? Something about the way he's being presented in trailers and the way he was excluded from earlier cast photos of said Squad.

That could be a cool plot element for Harley.

Mathim

Quote from: CuriousEyes on July 14, 2015, 09:02:54 AM
I actually enjoy the "grit/realism" focus in DC films, if only as a contrast to Marvel. With that said, I can't help but think that they're still missing the mark on this film - if only because I don't think most of these characters are going to be people that casual fans of comics (myself included) recognize.

I realize that DC is trying to create a whole stable of characters all at once, and I do think that a movie set around repositioned villains sounds interesting. But I can't help but think they'd have been better served by making hero-centric films first where at least some of these villains were the antagonists and then followed up with Suicide Squad.

I just can't imagine you can fit in enough exposition to explain the who and what of all these characters in one movie. I dunno.

...Meanwhile I'm torn on Harley Quinn and Joker. Much different take on them both. Not saying it can't work, but it's a risk.

And speaking of the Joker... I hope it's not spoilery 'cause it's just speculation, but is he the antagonist of Suicide Squad? Something about the way he's being presented in trailers and the way he was excluded from earlier cast photos of said Squad.

That could be a cool plot element for Harley.

Well from what I saw, Batman was riding on top of Harley's car at one point so this may indicate that you're correct and she tries to help the Joker which prompts the Bat to try and stop her and the Joker since he has a personal stake and/or doesn't trust the rest of the Suicide Squad to do it, OR that's part of a flashback and the Joker's deranged intent to torture the unidentified victim (presumably the former Robin whose costume was full of graffiti from BvS's trailer?) was from an earlier crime that landed him in prison in the first place.

SapphireStar

The Joker is being used more as bait by Waller to lure Batman from his batcave. The Joker is the only one who faced/knows Batman and that is why Waller wants to use him. So, by letting the Joker out, she can use the Suicide Squad to swoop in to catch Batman.

It might be possible that if Marvel is going to revive Blade, they might go with the new one they are introducing. They are introducing Blade's daughter as the new Blade. A high school student, Prom Queen, popular student as the new hero fighting the supernatural. Is it me or are they introducing more and more teen aged heroes and pushing the older, established characters to the background?

The Deadpool trailer was a hit at San Diego. So much so that they showed it twice.

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on July 14, 2015, 10:39:41 AM
The Joker is being used more as bait by Waller to lure Batman from his batcave. The Joker is the only one who faced/knows Batman and that is why Waller wants to use him. So, by letting the Joker out, she can use the Suicide Squad to swoop in to catch Batman.

It might be possible that if Marvel is going to revive Blade, they might go with the new one they are introducing. They are introducing Blade's daughter as the new Blade. A high school student, Prom Queen, popular student as the new hero fighting the supernatural. Is it me or are they introducing more and more teen aged heroes and pushing the older, established characters to the background?

The Deadpool trailer was a hit at San Diego. So much so that they showed it twice.

Teen prom queen Blade? Oy.

Is the Deadpool trailer available, then, or do we have to wait?

CuriousEyes

Not terribly familiar with Deadpool but the cellphone-shot trailer looked pretty good.

I'm curious how he fits in to any sort of standalone cinematic universe Fox might be trying to structure for the Marvel properties they own (if they are trying for any). Especially considering his meta approach - addressing the audience, "knowing" it's fictional, etc. Is he going to be out on his own continuity, or could they actually try to combine him with the X-Men (mutants being featured in the trailer).

Also, figured I'd link this up if anyone is interested - here's a somewhat detailed breakdown (along with a simple infographic) of which studios own rights to which Marvel characters.

Mathim

Quote from: CuriousEyes on July 14, 2015, 12:37:42 PM
Not terribly familiar with Deadpool but the cellphone-shot trailer looked pretty good.

I'm curious how he fits in to any sort of standalone cinematic universe Fox might be trying to structure for the Marvel properties they own (if they are trying for any). Especially considering his meta approach - addressing the audience, "knowing" it's fictional, etc. Is he going to be out on his own continuity, or could they actually try to combine him with the X-Men (mutants being featured in the trailer).

Also, figured I'd link this up if anyone is interested - here's a somewhat detailed breakdown (along with a simple infographic) of which studios own rights to which Marvel characters.

Well with the timeline altered from DOFP, I think it's safe to say the X-Men film universe is sort of an open book at this point, so anything with Deadpool should work out, especially since it seems that Apocalypse is going to involve more time travel once again. Once you open that door, it's hard to close.

And I posted that rights diagram a few pages ago, I'm surprised nothing has yet happened with Namor, I would have thought after a few more months they'd have resolved the transfer of his rights back to Marvel Studios. I really hope they get him back soon so they can put him in either Agents of SHIELD or possibly a Phase 4 project.

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: CuriousEyes on July 14, 2015, 12:37:42 PM

Presumably it would be like they handle him in the comics when he crosses over with other properties - the 'regular' characters just treat him like he's insane and delusional.

SapphireStar

According to reports, Ryan Reynolds actively championed being as faithful to the Deadpool character as possible. He is absolutely perfect for the role  ;D

Mathim

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on July 14, 2015, 03:28:51 PM
Presumably it would be like they handle him in the comics when he crosses over with other properties - the 'regular' characters just treat him like he's insane and delusional.

So, almost like we can assume a lot of what's happening may in fact only be a delusion he's experiencing and not the reality of what's going on around him?