News:

"Wings and a Prayer [L-E]"
Congratulations OfferedToEros & Random for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Unknown Armies (always recruiting)

Started by Kythia, August 06, 2013, 08:59:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blythe

darras

I'm back from the wetlands that are the UK! Stocked up on beer and cheddar and good to go ;)

Remiel

Thank God you escaped that hellhole alive.

I mean, welcome back, darras.

Blythe

Welcome back, darras. ^^

Also--will work on a reply for this game sometime today or tomorrow!

Sorry about the continued wait, guys. RL has not been pretty at the moment, so I'll try to post when I can in the IC.

Kythia

I'm really sorry guys.  Stupidly busy at work and quitting a 30/40 a day smoking habit has left me feeling shitty and with no concentration at all, really struggling to string posts together.  I'm aware I'm holding everything up, and I'll be with it as soon as I possibly can, I promise.

Very sorry

Blythe

*pats Kythia on the back*

Considering it took me what, two weeks-ish to figure out my last IC post, I don't think you're holding things up. ^^;

Some of that honor belongs to me. I iz slow poster.

Remiel

No worries, Kythia.  Real life always comes first.   We're all pulling for you that you beat the grip of nasty icky nicotine.

darras

Likewise no worries! Real life happens and kicking cigarettes is a bitch and a half..

Kythia

Holy fucking shit, we have forward motion.  Sorry about that guys and thanks for bearing with me.  Back to normal now, or at least until the World Cup.

darras

Hurray you're back! Hope you had a good chocolate weekend at least ;)

Kythia

So so.  Chocolate, Church, beer and Moyes is gone but we went down 2-1 to the giant killing machine that is fucking Swansea.  I can't reliably point to Swansea on a map (well, I can, I just refuse to) and they beat us.

darras

The positive side to Swansea is that they are slightly less Welsh than the rest of Wales. Still, no less humiliating I assume ;)

Blythe

Ugh, will try to do an IC post soon (either today or tomorrow). Sorry for the lack of posting on my part again, guys. >_<

Kythia

Quote from: Blythe on May 09, 2014, 01:42:49 PM
Ugh, will try to do an IC post soon (either today or tomorrow). Sorry for the lack of posting on my part again, guys. >_<

No worries.  Remiel's been away for a bit anyway so I've just frozen you two.

darras

Oooh is that a new avatar Remiel? Or have I just been really inattentive.. Either way, it's real nice.

Kythia

New avi?

*slopes off to turn avatars back on*

I'm posting now.  I am, I promise.  I can hear you mentally whinging at me for being shit.  Will 2 xp each placate you?

Remiel

Quote from: darras on May 11, 2014, 01:28:01 PM
Oooh is that a new avatar Remiel? Or have I just been really inattentive.. Either way, it's real nice.

Thanks!  It's the same person as before (Colin O'Donoghue, who plays Captain Hook / Killean Jones from Once Upon a Time) but I think this avi is much sexier, wouldn't you agree?

darras

Aaah that's where I've seen the face before. I agree whole heartedly, there's something in the eyes that's very magnetic. Excuse me while I go drool in the corner ;)

darras

Quote from: Kythia on May 11, 2014, 01:29:47 PM
New avi?

*slopes off to turn avatars back on*

I'm posting now.  I am, I promise.  I can hear you mentally whinging at me for being shit.  Will 2 xp each placate you?

And ooo xp! *placated*

Blythe

Quote from: Kythia on May 11, 2014, 01:29:47 PM
Will 2 xp each placate you?

....I am susceptible to XP bribes. *nodnod*

Consider me placated.  8-)

Remiel

I would be better placated if you guys loaned us Gerrard, Lampard and Rooney.   *worries about the US escaping the Group of Death*

Kythia

Quote from: Remiel on May 12, 2014, 01:07:17 PM
I would be better placated if you guys loaned us Gerrard, Lampard and Rooney.   *worries about the US escaping the Group of Death*

This again?  I keep telling you, you're using the phrase Group of Death wrong. Group B has much better teams and Group D much harder games, there isn't really a true Group of Death this cup. We've been through this several times already haven't we?

Remiel

Pfffft. Chile, while good, is not the world power that Brazil and Argentina are; and while Costa Rica and Uruguay are plucky, you lot should have no trouble defeating them.

We, meanwhile, have to face juggernauts Germany, Portugal (with arguably the #1 player in the world), and Ghana, who beat us the last two World Cup outings.  You might argue that the United States is not the same calibre as South America or Europe, and you'd probably be right, except we won CONCACAAF handily.

Kythia

Quote from: Remiel on May 12, 2014, 02:58:04 PM
Pfffft. Chile, while good, is not the world power that Brazil and Argentina are; and while Costa Rica and Uruguay are plucky, you lot should have no trouble defeating them.

We, meanwhile, have to face juggernauts Germany, Portugal (with arguably the #1 player in the world), and Ghana, who beat us the last two World Cup outings.  You might argue that the United States is not the same calibre as South America or Europe, and you'd probably be right, except we won CONCACAAF handily.

All that tells us is that the US isn't (yet) good enough to guarantee a place in the final 16.  You're not in a group of death, you're just slightly outmatched by the competition.  The point is, no one outside of the Portuguese, Americans and Ghanese thinks the World Cup would be harmed by the absence of those countries in the final 16.  Its a crap shoot for a second place that no one cares about. 

Being beaten twice by Ghana makes you bad, not Ghana good (they're sat 37th in the ELO rankings).  Might as well point out that Australia have been beaten by Iran.  The exact same split as the Group G teams could be had from Croatia, Czechia, Australia and Norway.  Look at it in those terms.  Croatia would obviously go through and there would be a toss up between Czechia and Australia.  Doesn't make it a tough group, makes it a group with one world class team, two on the high side of mediocre and one on the low side.

Every nation always thinks they have the hardest group - the English press is saying exactly the same thing.  The issue with your group is that you're not quite good enough to guarantee a place, not that the group is hard. 

There isn't a Group of Death this cup.  There doesn't have to be one, it's entirely random. 

Kythia

Oh and incidentally - you heard it here first:

We go out 2-1 to the Netherlands on 4/7 (I have tickets for that match, actually.  Last one before we come home).  Spain win.