The Pirate's Code [Day 2]

Started by Valerian, June 28, 2009, 04:30:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valerian

Every man shall obey civil command; the captain shall have one full share and a half in all prizes. The Master, Carpenter, Boatswain, and Gunner shall have one share and quarter.

If any man shall offer to run away, or keep any secret from the Company, he shall be marroon'd with one bottle of powder, one bottle of Water, one small Arm, and shot.

If any Man shall steal any Thing in the Company, or game, to the value of a piece of Eight, he shall be Marroon'd or shot.

If at any Time we should meet at another Marrooner (that is, Pyrate) that man shall sign his Articles without Consent of our Company, shall suffer such Punishment as the Captain and Company shall think fit.

That man that shall strike another, whilst these Articles are in force, shall receive Moses's Law (that is 40 Stripes lacking one) on the bare Back.

That Man that shall snap his Arms, or smoak Tobacco in the Hold, without cap to his Pipe, or carry a candle lighted without lanthorn, shall suffer the same Punishment as in the former Article.

That Man that shall not keep his Arms clean, fit for an Engagement, or neglect his Business, shall be cut off from his Share, and suffer such other Punishment as the Captain and Company shall think fit.

If any man shall lose a joint in time of Engagement, shall have 400 Pieces of Eight: if a limb, 800.

If at any time you meet with a prudent Woman, that Man that offers to meddle with her, without her Consent, shall suffer Death.

These are the articles that all must sign before joining the crew of the Queen Anne's Fancy.  Justice aboard any ship is swift, but on a pirate ship most of all.  The crew elects its captain, and they can remove that captain as well. Anyone who would dare to command such a crew must be as skilled in a battle of wits as in a battle of swords; as aware of when to fight as when to retreat; or that person will not keep command for long.

As one might guess, it is usually death that separates a captain from his ship.  This time, though, a captain has been lost in a strange way.  While he slept, Captain Edmund Teach was killed, stabbed in the night.  One of the crew must have done this, for the ship is at full sail in the middle of the Atlantic, heading for home.

It's hard to decide who might be the guilty person -- or persons.  Normally a reasonably well-respected captain, Teach had of late been taking odd and foolish chances.  The Queen Anne's last target was a Royal Navy ship, laden with rich treasure from the New World -- and bristling with cannon, and men skilled in using them.  Any pirate worth the name would know better than to take on such a ship -- but Teach had a plan, as bold as it was dangerous.  Flying the colours of a British ship, pretending to have been damaged in a battle with a pirate ship, Teach talked his way aboard the Royal Navy ship.  From within, in the dead of night, it was an easy target, as Teach disabled the cannon, damaged the ship, and transported the loot to the Queen Anne's Fancy.

It was in many ways a coup, the stuff of which legends are made.  But now the Fancy is overloaded with gold, without the speed and maneuverability that is usually the greatest asset of a pirate ship, unable to do more than limp along even under perfect conditions.  Safe harbour would normally be barely a week away; now it will take at least twice that, if the weather holds, and half the Royal Navy knows that there must be pirates in the area.

In short, though pirates are of necessity a daring lot, this time there were murmurs in the crew that Teach had gone too far, and taken too much risk with all their lives.  So his ignominious death in the night, while a shock, was perhaps not wholly a surprise.  Clearly, there is at least one mutineer -- more likely several.  Mutineers well know the dangers of failure, and rarely act alone.

As the crew meets at first light, and news of Teach's death spreads, two things must be done before all else.  First, a new captain must be duly elected; and second, the mutineers must be found.  Each day, a lottery will be held, and the pirate who receives the most black marks must die!

Pirate Captain (1) (elected)
Ability: In the event of a tie during votes, the captain chooses who will walk the plank.  Arrr!

Mutineers (3)
Ability: Can choose to remove one (1) crew member each night.
Goal: To kill the remaining crew and take over the ship.

Surgeon (1)
Ability: Can choose to save one (1) crew member each night. If the chosen crew member was also voted to be killed by the mutineers, that pirate will not die.  The Surgeon can protect him or herself once each game.
Goal: To kill all the mutineers and survive.

Cook (1)
Ability: Can choose to have one (1) crew member's role revealed privately to him/her each night, from the god of pirates (Valerian).
Goal: To kill all the mutineers and survive.

Pirate Crew
Pirates who do not have a specific goal are simply the pirate crew, the backbone of the ship. Their goal is to kill all the mutineers via the lottery and survive.

Note: Please do not vote to lynch yourself.

Just as in the usual game of Mafia, any player can lie, deceive, or mislead as much as they think they can get away with, all in the name of having fun.  Please don't quote anything directly from any PMs you might send or receive regarding the game; but any information you might get that way can be repeated in your own words as much as you like.

The traditional day/night cycle will remain.  The first night, of course, the captain is killed at the hands of the Mutineers.  The next day, the players will vote first on a new Captain; and second on a character to be removed, and will discover if their choice was a wise one.  That night, the Mutineers will claim another life, unless the Ship's Surgeon happens to intervene.

Any rules questions can be posted in OOC or sent to me via PM.
"To live honorably, to harm no one, to give to each his due."
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

Valerian

Players:

• Aiden
  • Bliss
  • LadySky
  • Marguerite
  • Rhapsody
  • Ryven
  • Saku
  • Silk Satine
  • Sir Desan
  • Stattick
  • Trieste
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

LadySky

LadySky stood in the Crow's nest watching Captain Teach's body floating farther and farther from the Queen Anne's Fancy. He had been a good Captain, in more ways than one she thought with a smirk. Taking another belt of her bumboo she settled in for a day of reflection. Something was not right about this whole killing and she intended to find out.

Who would be the knew Captain? Who could she trust? Peering down onto the deck she watched the others milling about, doing what had to be done. Who could you trust on a ship of thieves she thought with a gigglesnort...

Late that evening as the sun set on the blue sea she climbed down from her post and scrawled a name on a piece of parchment, Sir Desan.

Could she trust him, probably not but he was fun to drink with!
I dreamed a dreamed, life has killed the dream I dreamed. So....I dream a NEW DREAM!!! never let them see you cry.

Valerian

Current Voting, for the position of captain:

LadySky (5) - Rhapsody, Aiden, Ryven, Silk Satine, Saku
Aiden (1) - Sir Desan
Sir Desan (1) - LadySky
Stattick (1) - Bliss
Marguerite (1) - Stattick
Trieste (1) - Marguerite
Bliss (0)
Rhapsody (0)
Ryven (0)
Saku (0)
Silk Satine (0)

Yet to vote: Trieste

There are 3 Mutineers, 1 Ship's Surgeon, 1 Ship's Cook, and 6 Pirates.
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

Rhapsody

The news of Teach's death did not come as a shock, as it had been expected for some time now.  The crew'd been muttering in the mess, in the passages, on their watches, about how reckless the old son of a gun was getting of late.  Haulin' up pretty as you please to that royal navy ship what were heavier armed and more manned than the Fancy was.  Every tar aboard the Fancy had signed up for risk and riches... but what Teach had done was going a bit too far.

What was shocking, on the other hand, was that some had seen fit to take matters into their own hands, ignoring the traditional justice of the crew as a whole.  And that was not something she could stand for.  A crew lived and died by the trust they placed in their mates, and someone would have to answer for their arrogance.

But first, a new cap'n had to be elected.  She eyed the crew, chewed thoughtfully on the inside of her lip and then spat over the rail.  She didn't know many of them half as well as she thought she did, mutineers being among them and all, but if any of them had to be captain, LadySky might as well do the job.  Her eyes had spotted many a reef or prospect for thievery in these unsettled seas.  Mayhap her eyes would serve her well, heading the crew.
|| Games I Play||
Not Available for RP
|| O&O || Requests ||  A&A ||
Current Posting Speed: 1-2 times per week

Come to me, just in a dream. Come on and rescue me.
Yes, I know. I can be wrong. Maybe I'm too headstrong.

Bliss

Bliss didn't join the others at the rail watching the corpse that slowly drifted and twisted among weed and wave; the man was gone, and his matter to ship and crew was as dead and done as he. The task lay before them to get up a new captain, and right quick. Did no one any good a'tall to be drifting in Navy waters with no one to head them and no heading to follow.

Scanning her fellows critically, she mulled over what she knew of them, and which among them might have been so shiftless and scurvy to relieve Teach of his life in the dark of night - and who might be instead up to the task of taking the man's place at the helm. It'd have to be someone strong, someone good at holding the attention and respect of those on board.

Stattick, she decided, was just such a man.
O/O ~ Wiki ~ A/A ~ Discord: Bliss#0337
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.
<3 <3 <3

Aiden

Aiden had woken early as always to the news of the captains death, with no first mate or quartermaster in their mix he went about his duties to think of who would make the best replacement as captain. Checking the guns and making sure they were in full operating conditional, he approached the fellow crew and gave his vote for captain after he was finshed.

"Captain L. Sky that has a good ring to it!"
With his vote in and his duties served he returned to the bow with a piece of tack and a tankard of ale to soften the bland meal.

Ryven

Ryven staggered up to the main deck, rum in one hand and the other gesturing with almost a mind of its own.  He walked over to the side of the deck to peer over at the floating body of their late Cap'n Teach who was soon to be moving on to Davey Jones' Locker.

"Hmph..."  Was all the pirate said before glancing up to LadySky in her perch.  Now there's a Cap'n.

Desan

Hrmm... *Ponders as he taps the hilt of his saber against his chin* This beeeeee...a bit o..a hard choice.... *Looks around* I vote for Aiden to be our Cap'n.
And I don’t really give a f-ck, and my excuse is that I’m young.

Solaine

Silk sat on a barrel and contemplated the blazing sunset with pensive eyes until the fiery orb was quenched in the horizon, just as the corpse of the dead captain floated off to join the darkness.

Such goin’s on.  She never thought she would see the day the crew would be plunged in such intrigue.  Aye, plunderin’ and pillagin’ weren’t exactly innocent little things… but this was different. A good captain dead… and the Royal Navy be ready to breathe hot fire on Fancy’s ass… and she and the motley crew of Fancy now lookin’ at each other with stabbin’ daggers of suspicion in their eyes. 

She shook her head.  Aye… the first thing to set them right was to choose the right man or woman to lead them.  And she had made her decision.  LadySky
“Not the glittering weapon fights the fight, but rather the hero's heart.” ~ Proverb
~Currently not available for new games.~

Saku

Saku agreed with Rhapsody, Aiden, Ryven and Silk Satine, LadySky would do the job quite well as ship's captain!
I'm back!
"Times change and so must I. We all change when you think about it. We’re all different people all through our lives.
And that’s ok, that’s good, as long as you keep moving, as long as you remember all the people that you used to be.
I will not forget one line of this, not one day, I swear. I will always remember when The Doctor was me."
Ons/Offs! vs Updates! vs Requests

Stattick

Stattick, still smelling slightly with his rum from the previous night, came clamoring up the stairs to see what all the commotion was about.

"What's all the damned noise about, ye lot o' scaberous scurvy dogs? Cannot ye let a pirate sleep off his indulgences in peace then?"

Stattick then sees something lurking in the the water, and turned his eyes away from the crew, and toward the calm sea. A fine coat, red, with bright brass buttons ensconced the man that could be none other then the captain himself. The dark shape of a shark lurked nearby, and took a cannonball sized bite right out of the captain's shoulder, shaking the unresponsive body violently, as Stattick looked on.

"The Debil!" Stattick hissed in surprise. It appeared at least one other shark circled the body as well, as the heavily laden ship slowly took the scene out of veiw.

"To Davy Jone's Locker with you then..." Stattick said, turning away from the scene with a visible shudder.

He sat against the rail then, and carefully pulled forth his pipe from his once glorious and now somewhat shabby black coat's pocket. He sheltered the pipe from the wind and sea spray, taking his time to pack the tobacco just so. He lit the little carved bone pipe from an ember quickly swiped out of the galley.

Once back with the others, he asked, and found out what happened. Once he's told of how the captain was found, stabbed in the night, he sighed. "Well, we's got to have a new cap'm then. Late to the news and all, I suppose ye've already voted and chosen. If'n not, I'll put up my vote for Marguerite. Is true, she and I have had some differences in the past, but there be no hard feelings on my part, and I think she's a right smart and strong she-wolf, an that's the kind o' captain I think we need."
O/O   A/A

Marguerite

Marguerite rubbed her eyes and found everyone were voting for a new captain. What happened to the? Her words stopped to find out Teach was murdered in the night. The man was a true bastard and she wondered if he would meet Davy Jones in his Locker tonight. I vote for Trieste.
*R.R*A.A*O.O*Wiki*Bordello*Whip and Apple*
You Keep On Crying, Baby, I'll Bleed You Dry
Mar Is Currently: Taking On Threads
Check My Absence Thread For Updates, Thank You

Valerian

The crew had spoken, and LadySky would be their new captain.  Sadly, of course, her first job must be to discover the murderer of their late captain, Teach.  Someone had to pay for his death, for the justice of pirates is both merciless and swift.  A new vote began, this time a vote that would lessen the ship's crew by one -- whoever had the most black marks would die.

• Aiden
  • Bliss
  • Capt. LadySky
  • Marguerite
  • Rhapsody
  • Ryven
  • Saku
  • Silk Satine
  • Sir Desan
  • Stattick
  • Trieste

~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

LadySky

Cap'n LadySky paced the deck feeling the weight of responsibility laying heavy on her shoulders. Somehow she thought she may have gotten this job thanks to her talent for finding "booty". With a snicker she turned to face her crew.

"Avast you Jack Tar's! It be time to bring out the gangplank! Sir Desan, me thinks it's time to see you to Davy Jones Locker." she shouted for all to hear.

Cap'n Sky had always suspected him of being to big for his britches with that noble title of his.

I dreamed a dreamed, life has killed the dream I dreamed. So....I dream a NEW DREAM!!! never let them see you cry.

Trieste

The day is harsh and bold to one who has sought such solace as the drink can bring. Deep in the rat-infested hold lay one asleep from last night's revelry, drenched in briny smell and heavy dreams. Lucky enough to work the third bell tonight, Trieste finds she wakes up early enough to get fit for her watch.

To a dead captain.

With a slurred grumble and a wavering squint, she mumbles something about ears of corn and a mole the size of an olive, pointing faintly at Saku before belching loudly, swigging her bottle and passing back out over a barrel. Saku will make a good Captain. They're still voting for Captain, right?

Valerian

Current Voting:

Sir Desan (5) - Cap'n LadySky, Saku, Rhapsody, Ryven, Silk Satine, Marguerite
Saku (2) - Trieste, Aiden
Cap'n LadySky (1) - Sir Desan
Aiden (0)
Bliss (0)
Marguerite (0)
Rhapsody (0)
Ryven (0)
Silk Satine (0)
Stattick (0)
Trieste (0)

Yet to vote: Bliss, Stattick

~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

Saku

Saku looked over at Trieste who seemed to be rather drunk and sighed, shaking her head. She didn't like to drink all that much for she was loyal to the ship's captain and didn't want anything to change, she liked the way things were at the moment. The others should band behind their captain, they had chosen her right? So if they had chosen their captain, why would the other pirates not place their votes with the captain's choice? The ones that didn't had to be mutineers, right? So she placed her vote for Sir Desan, following Captain LadySky's thoughts.
I'm back!
"Times change and so must I. We all change when you think about it. We’re all different people all through our lives.
And that’s ok, that’s good, as long as you keep moving, as long as you remember all the people that you used to be.
I will not forget one line of this, not one day, I swear. I will always remember when The Doctor was me."
Ons/Offs! vs Updates! vs Requests

Rhapsody

She'd given the captain her vote of confidence, and now she'd carry through with that.  She let the ink drop on the page she'd been given, letting the black mark spread and spread, then tossed it at Sir Desan.
|| Games I Play||
Not Available for RP
|| O&O || Requests ||  A&A ||
Current Posting Speed: 1-2 times per week

Come to me, just in a dream. Come on and rescue me.
Yes, I know. I can be wrong. Maybe I'm too headstrong.

Aiden

Aiden gladly took over the new Captain's duties as a look out, he enjoyed being up high and walking along the masts and swinging around the ropes risking his own life for that thrill that came as they traveled slowly back to port. Once on the deck, he realized what everyone was voting for and he inked his vote.
-Saku-

Ryven

Ryven stumbled up to place his black mark for the one who would pay for the death of dear old Teach.  As he had been neck deep in the rum stocks since last eve, he wasn't quite sure who to mark as a traitor, so he settled for Sir Desan for now.

"If ye be a traitor, may Davey Jones claim your soul for his own.  The deepest levels of hell are reserved for traitors and mutineers."  He said before taking another swig of his rum and stumbling off.

Solaine

Silk sat on her barrel, her wooden leg tapping thoughtfully against the side.  Then she nodded approvingly.  Quick and decisive-like, that be her new cap'n she'd voted on.  So be it! Sir Desan, that scurvy rascal, be walking the plank!
“Not the glittering weapon fights the fight, but rather the hero's heart.” ~ Proverb
~Currently not available for new games.~

Desan

He blinked and then suddenly there were 5 votes for him to walk the plank. He couldn't swim, and he knew they were killing off an innocent. "What have I done to deserve this mateys? If you kill me off, ye shall know that our Cap'n be very unwise and perhaps one of the Mutineers! Trying to kill of one of the innocent crewmembers!" With that said, he voted for LadySky
And I don’t really give a f-ck, and my excuse is that I’m young.

Marguerite

Argh, this was not the best choice to make. Who should walk the plank? "Davy Jones needs someone to clean his lockers and even my vote will not count for it seems Sir Desan is going to walk the plank."
*R.R*A.A*O.O*Wiki*Bordello*Whip and Apple*
You Keep On Crying, Baby, I'll Bleed You Dry
Mar Is Currently: Taking On Threads
Check My Absence Thread For Updates, Thank You

LadySky

Cap'n Sky stepped up onto the deck her face pale and odviously in shock. Goin through Cap'n Teach's belongings was not something she had properly prepared herself for. She looked around at the crew with a curious eye, wondering who he had been using all those "items" of his on, or had someone been using them on Teach?

With a shiver she walked over to Sir Desan and gave him a quick shove, "Ye brought this on yourself Sir Desan! Don't be thinkin you can order us around, out here your noble name means nothing!"