What will you never play again?

Started by Inkidu, August 25, 2009, 06:07:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sabby

Blue Dragon was fucking terrible :/ both of those games had the same arthritic FF style gameplay, yet Blue Dragon was awful and Lost Odyssey was actually pretty good... that's kind of a testament to story telling in games, I guess. LO had it, BD didn't. And it made all the difference.

Wolfy

Shuuush. o3o *pokes Sabby* Just because you found it terrible doesn't mean she will. :P

Kytn

Quote from: Wolfy on September 17, 2010, 09:47:41 PM
Tales of Vesperia...or any Tales game, really. Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon, too...which were directed by the same guy that directed Final Fantasy 1-9 before he left square.
I LOVE the Tales games. <3 What platform(s) is Vesperia on?
Updates coming soon!

rocknrolla

Vesperia is only Xbox 360, methinks.

And I'll never play Alan Wake again... it was beautifully orchestrated, developed, programmed... but the ending left a bad taste in me mouth. :P
People ask the question... what's a RocknRolla? And I tell 'em - it's not about drums, drugs, and hospital drips, oh no. There's more there than that, my friend. We all like a bit of the good life - some the money, some the drugs, other the sex game, the glamour, or the fame. But a RocknRolla, oh, he's different. Why? Because a real RocknRolla wants the fucking lot.

A/As (Updated 1/30)

Wolfy

Quote from: rocknrolla on September 18, 2010, 07:10:34 AM

And I'll never play Alan Wake again... it was beautifully orchestrated, developed, programmed... but the ending left a bad taste in me mouth. :P

Which is why there is DLC. :D

And Alan Wake 2, of course.

What, you thought they'd put EVERYTHING into the game that's been in the making for what? 2-5 years? O-o Lol

no no no....DLC continues the story. :D...Though I wonder if it adds any new songs from the group that sung the songs in Alan Wake...Hmm......(Cause I really like them. o-o..awesome group.)

Heaven Sent Blossom

Vesparia got an enhanced PS3 release last year (much the same way that Eternal Sonata did) but so far there isn't any official word on that getting a release in the West.

rocknrolla

Quote from: Wolfy on September 18, 2010, 07:58:30 AM
What, you thought they'd put EVERYTHING into the game that's been in the making for what? 2-5 years? O-o Lol

no no no....DLC continues the story. :D...Though I wonder if it adds any new songs from the group that sung the songs in Alan Wake...Hmm......(Cause I really like them. o-o..awesome group.)

Exactly the reason why I thought they'd at least give it a coherent ending, but Alan Wake 2? Awesome... reminds me how eagerly I waited once Silent Hill came out. Cheers for the news!
People ask the question... what's a RocknRolla? And I tell 'em - it's not about drums, drugs, and hospital drips, oh no. There's more there than that, my friend. We all like a bit of the good life - some the money, some the drugs, other the sex game, the glamour, or the fame. But a RocknRolla, oh, he's different. Why? Because a real RocknRolla wants the fucking lot.

A/As (Updated 1/30)

Kytn

Quote from: Heaven Sent Blossom on September 18, 2010, 09:13:38 AM
Vesparia got an enhanced PS3 release last year (much the same way that Eternal Sonata did) but so far there isn't any official word on that getting a release in the West.
Ugh, I don't have a PS3 anyways. =/ Oh well, there's always the 360 version =D
Updates coming soon!

Hemingway

Quote from: rocknrolla on September 18, 2010, 07:10:34 AM

Heresy!

Alan Wake was perfect! The ending was brilliant! Endings aren't supposed to make you feel good and cuddly and explain everything! No, no!

rocknrolla

Quote from: Hemingway on September 18, 2010, 01:19:34 PM
Heresy!
;:
Alan Wake was perfect! The ending was brilliant! Endings aren't supposed to make you feel good and cuddly and explain everything! No, no!

Good and cuddly? Of course not - I agree.

Though I explained later: incoherent], and informed by Wolfy how a DLC/Alan Wake 2 is in works. :D

A/As (Updated 1/30)

Hemingway

The Signal was pretty meh as far as DLC goes. I'm not sure I quite got what it was all about. As in, what the point of it was. I thought the ending in the game was fantastic. I mean, fantastic in that it was an ending, and it finished the story arc of the first "season", shall we say, perfectly.

AngelsDemonsCode

Clock Tower 3.  >:(

The whole game irritated me to no end. The way the characters acted, the voice acting, the Panic Meter (one of my least like part of the game, due to the fact it was so easy to scare her), the rather shoddy controls on Alyssa (I kept running into walls and freezing up. Worst time was during the first level in the theater) and was just so Narmy that I couldn't be properly scared. It was just annoying in general.

Luckily, Haunting Ground made up for it.

sleepingferret

General Comments:

FFVII - Cloud sucks....but that's why I have the PC version and cheat, I turn the "hero" into Sephiroth and make Cloud the villain and kick Cloud's sissy ass, any time I decide to replay the game now. :P

EverQuest - An entire decade of my life and my first MMO... but I got burned out after being a raid leader for half of those ten years.  Heck I'd have to buy the dang game again, I can't even find my CDs or account info anymore for either of my accounts.

WoW - Became a dragging, play because you have friends playing game.  Still don't know if I'll play again or not.  Leveling has become a daunting chore over the past couple years as the game has changed.  Getting to level 60 was easy, even playing as a healer.  I may have basically soloed to about level 16-18 but from there on I was always in a group running through some instance.  But then they changed the game, and ever since the Burning Crusade players have had to spend more time doing stupid go and do this or that quests till their eyes bleed to get levels.  And as a healer type, it royally sucked...I managed to get to level 77, but by then I had enough.  Because then it became an issue, oh well if you don't have gold for this or that then you can't do this.  And what was I suppose to do, try to start a 'cyber-whore' ring on WoW to get gold?

The Operation Flashpoint Series - someone said they didn't like the realism of the game?  They evidently picked up the wrong game to begin with...that was the entire point of the game, to be as realistic as possible.  Without actually having real people shooting real guns at you and you having a gun and shooting back at them; all while sneaking or running around.

Games I Definitely Won't Play Again:

Final Fantasy XI Online - while it started out ok, it just became daunting when you finally figured out what you had to do to get access to any of the fun classes.

Diablo 2 - the point of the game was to what? see who had the best "hacks" right?  I hope Blizzard does something about the rampant hacker issue when Diablo 3 comes out.

Star Wars : Empires At War - Forces of Corruption - without FoC, the game is fine...but whoever came up with the dumb idea of the pirate faction and their corruption ability needs to be shot.  Pirate faction, alright fine....but honestly do we really need to have planets being "corrupted".  Especially since only like 1 or 2 heroes per side could remove corruption and you had an entire galaxy you were trying to control.  It got super annoying, super fast.  That and they moved Darth Vader to the "commander" of the SSD Executor which means you loose his TIE Squadron which early on is doubly annoying since he's one the Empire's strongest ground units as well.

WhiteDove

Quote from: sleepingferret on September 20, 2010, 12:05:17 AM
FFVII - Cloud sucks....but that's why I have the PC version and cheat, I turn the "hero" into Sephiroth and make Cloud the villain and kick Cloud's sissy ass, any time I decide to replay the game now. :P

:o Blasphemy!

For me it will have to be the latest 'bad game' i've gotten my hands on...Final Fantasy 13. It's such a beautiful piece of trash, with great character design and pretty settings, but that's about it.
FEATHERS & LACE
THE ON'S & OFF'S

Heaven Sent Blossom

Final Fantasy 13 is what happens when you let the artists design your game for you.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Heaven Sent Blossom on September 20, 2010, 10:11:57 AM
Final Fantasy 13 is what happens when you let the artists design your game for you.

Wouldn't know.. can't get past the end of the '2 dvd' training session..end of training boss keeps cheating and killing me. I've rolled back like 4 save spots and run up another 10 levels, go back..die again and again and again. NEVER AGAIN

Inkidu

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on September 20, 2010, 10:48:41 AM
Wouldn't know.. can't get past the end of the '2 dvd' training session..end of training boss keeps cheating and killing me. I've rolled back like 4 save spots and run up another 10 levels, go back..die again and again and again. NEVER AGAIN
I got to the first boss after you can select your party the way you want and lost against him and I'm sure I can beat him but Final Fantasy needs to die. At best 13 is banal as a game.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Sabby

Alpha Protocol...

Tried it once. Hated it.

Tried it twice. Forgave it.

Played on. Began to hate it again.

Kept on playing. I just wanted to finish it.

Started a new campaign. Okay, I love it all over again.

Kept playing. The 'choices' really made it replayable.

Now, I'm stuck, and don't wanna lay eyes on that game for a good long while. So mechanically broken, and yet so great on paper... such potential held back, because someone at Obsideon thought it would be better for them to release it unfinished, rather then take their time. And considering this is their first ORIGINAL game, and thus a first impression, it's an even stupider decision. They had a chance to show what they could do, and fucked up :/ NOW who's guna wanna hear about the next game coming out from "Those guys who can only do other peoples sequels"

Wolfy

Quote from: Sabby on September 20, 2010, 06:40:48 PM
Alpha Protocol...

Tried it once. Hated it.

Tried it twice. Forgave it.

Played on. Began to hate it again.

Kept on playing. I just wanted to finish it.

Started a new campaign. Okay, I love it all over again.

Kept playing. The 'choices' really made it replayable.

Now, I'm stuck, and don't wanna lay eyes on that game for a good long while. So mechanically broken, and yet so great on paper... such potential held back, because someone at Obsideon thought it would be better for them to release it unfinished, rather then take their time. And considering this is their first ORIGINAL game, and thus a first impression, it's an even stupider decision. They had a chance to show what they could do, and fucked up :/ NOW who's guna wanna hear about the next game coming out from "Those guys who can only do other peoples sequels"

Hey, it works for the people who re-released Sonic 1-3 and Knuckles, didn't it? :P All they are known for is re-releasing old games onto new consoles. lol

Sabby

They have two excuses that Obsidion may not have. Money and blissful ignorance ^^

Inkidu

The even funnier part of it is, what's Obsidian working on now: New Vegas. A sequel. Some people just need to stay where they can do the most good. Hell not even Bioware's all that original they use the same plot sequence for every game. They just do it extremely well.

That's life.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Dunnuck

Heyheyhey

Bioware makes some of the best RPGs out there. Original worlds, fleshing out existing ones, different character arcs...the thing they have in common is "save the day" and the whole "gather your party members" thing.

Sabby

Not to mention Jade Empire was just Star Wars in China... which is ironic, because Star Wars was just Wuxia in space xD

Think about it, main villain is actually a good guy from your childhood who is in a suit of armour that makes him evil. You go into a cave to face yourself as the end of your trial. Your trying to stop an Emperor from taking over. Hell, the Lotus level was a direct copy/paste of Kotor's Sith school level.

Jude

Anything by Valve -- I've played enough source engine HL mods.

Inkidu

Quote from: Dunnuck on September 24, 2010, 05:54:56 AM
Heyheyhey

Bioware makes some of the best RPGs out there. Original worlds, fleshing out existing ones, different character arcs...the thing they have in common is "save the day" and the whole "gather your party members" thing.
Actually, this is a Bioware story arch.

Main introduction.
Rise to a some significant small twist.
First climax.
A bunch of stand alone areas.
Second build up bigger story-shifting secret.
Final climax and last few areas.
Perfect conclusions.

It's the same basically in all their games but they do it well. It took me years to figure out their plot-line strategy and I was looking for it. Plus, they're changing it up with Dragon Age 2 so, they're very aware.