What's in the news?

Started by Beorning, September 21, 2014, 07:02:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lustful Bride

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on February 11, 2015, 01:05:23 PM
Pretty much. Like I said, infinity is weird, if you extend it far enough.

It confuses me. @_@ I understand something can possibly go on for infinity, but how can it exist if nothing started it..it was always thwwew ...*blue screens*

Dimir

Three North Carolina college students were shot to death over a parking space. Authorities are investigating the possibility that this was a hate crime based on the victims being Muslims and facebook postings by the suspect blaming radical Christians and Muslims for the strife in the world.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/02/11/north-carolina-man-charged-in-shooting-death-three-people/
My PM Box is always open for those who wish to chat with someone.
Major fan of Magic The Gathering, Sailor Moon and Pokemon
O/O's: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=221869.0

Zakharra

Quote from: Beorning on February 11, 2015, 09:07:22 AM
Well, I'm not surprised by that possibility. After all, BSG has already taught me that humanity has created Cylons untold times already. And it will create them again... and again...

*ducks*

In that case, who are the Final Five? >_>      <_<   

QuoteIn the local news, the farmers' unions back here are protesting... and threatening to block the capital completely. While I understand the right of the unions to protest, I can't help thinking: why is that the unions think that it's okay to protest by blocking roads? For me, it's not just protesting anymore... it's trying to *coerce* the government to take this or that action...

What are they protesting for?

Oniya

It's either a protest against prime farmland being sold off to GMO companies (like Monsanto), or pushing for government aid after sanctions on Russian trade caused the loss of around 26 million euros ($29 million) in agricultural trade.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

TheGlyphstone

And here I was hoping for something horribly ironic like protesting the poor quality and lack of upkeep for rural roads.

Beorning

Quote from: Oniya on February 11, 2015, 08:19:06 PM
It's either a protest against prime farmland being sold off to GMO companies (like Monsanto), or pushing for government aid after sanctions on Russian trade caused the loss of around 26 million euros ($29 million) in agricultural trade.

Actually, they are protesting because they want for the government to start buying milk (I think?) from them again. Also, they demand compensation for the two years where we had a ban on ritual killing of the animals - as well as for the crops they lost due to warthog wild boar activity.

I admit that I'm not completely sure about their demands... They may be some merit to them. I just question their methods...

A short English-language article on the protests:

http://www.thenews.pl/1/9/Artykul/196705,Farmers-exit-meeting-with-minister

Zakharra

Seriously..?  0.o  That sounds.. so stupid. They are demanding compensation from boar damage and that the government intervene in the milk and pork markets?  I am sorry, but to me that  looks like a very silly set of demands. Can't they shoot the boars?

Lustful Bride

Quote from: Zakharra on February 13, 2015, 10:49:02 AM
Seriously..?  0.o  That sounds.. so stupid. They are demanding compensation from boar damage and that the government intervene in the milk and pork markets?  I am sorry, but to me that  looks like a very silly set of demands. Can't they shoot the boars?

Boars are actually a big problem. Over in the US in the texas area there is a problem with boars over breeding because they feed off of trash and breed like rats. Not to mention they are violent as hell and those tusks can gore you pretty brutally >_<

But this can be a positive, they can open up a market for hunting boars and kill two birds with one stone. Possibly get some tourism money from hunters and help to manage the boar population.

Oniya

"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Lustful Bride

Quote from: Oniya on February 13, 2015, 11:23:02 AM
Wild/feral pigs are a problem in Florida as well.  http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/can-wild-pigs-ravaging-the-u-s-be-stopped/

They should declare open season on the boars I say, though of course groups like PETA will whine and complain, even though the boars are an invasive species and harming the ecosystem. >_> but when has logic ever factored into such things?

Beorning

Quote from: Zakharra on February 13, 2015, 10:49:02 AM

Shooting the boars doesn't work, apparently. From what I read, our hunters were supposed to hunt the excess boars down, but it didn't work out...

Anyway... I admit that I'm not knowledgeable enough to discern whether the farmers' demands make sense or not. Maybe they do. What I have a problem with is their methods and attitude. Sure, they should be allowed to protest all they want... but in some manner that isn't disruptive to other people's lives. Meanwhile, these guys' method of protesting is blocking major roads and threating to invade the capital with 100000 people... This isn't just protesting, this is trying to bully the government by causing trouble.

I mean... these farmers are worried about their jobs, livehood etc. But what about the people whose jobs and livehood these protest threaten? What, say, about the truck drivers who won't be able to make deliveries in time, because they are stuck on the farmers' blockades? Why should that be okay?

That's my problem with the farmers' unions, as well as other powerful unions of special interest groups, like miners. These people's sense of entitlement gets on my nerves. I understand that these people are desperate not to lose their jobs... but heck, there are hundreds of thousands of other people out there who are desperate because of unemployment, too. Why is that the miners, farmers etc. feel entitled to go on strikes, protest, block roads and demand special treatment? Why should they be getting government help, privileges etc., while other people, not represented by the unions, don't get the same?

I mean, yesteday on TV I saw the news from the protest of miners' wives. One woman there was saying: "I don't have enough money to feed my kids! How can government allow it? They have to help us!". Well, I feel your pain, lady. But... there are thousands of people in the same situation out there, people who can't feed their families, either. And they don't get any help. Why do you feel *you* should be getting special government help? Because you happen to be a miner's wife?

As for the farmers, in one news piece from their protest, I saw them singing <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rota_%28poem%29">Rota</a>. The freaking Rota! One of the most important Polish patriotic songs, one related to our fights against nation-wide oppression. How dare these people use this song in a protest for their own interests? How dare they even compare their problems to our historical plights..?

Phew! Rant off...

EDIT: That came off... harsh. I wanted to add that I really appreciate how hard and dangerous is a miner's job - and that farmers have genuine problems that might be worth considering. Still, both of these groups' unions are really strong and both of these groups have some privileges other people here don't have. So, I feel there's something genuinely... not right in the attitude the representatives of these groups are presenting every time some issue comes up. But it's a topic for a looong debate, I think...

Lustful Bride

ISIS forces assault US/Iraqi military held air base with Suicide bombers and gunmen but were quickly repelled with no casualties on the Coalition side.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/is-seizes-iraq-town-near-us-forces-pentagon/ar-AA9mnEO?ocid=HPCDHP

Kick some ass boys. Thoughts and prayers are with you, teach those murderer ISIS scum a lesson.

gaggedLouise

Apparently one or two men opened fire with automatic rifle/s during an indoor meeting concerning freedom of speech at a café in Copenhagen (not far from here). Central to the meeting was the controversial Swedish artist Lars Vilks, who is famous or infamous for a series of images of the prophet Muhammed as a roundabout dog - dogs being unclean in islam, of course. Vilks was also the intended target, a few years ago, of the "Jihad Jane plot". Danish police are saying he was not injured at the shooting this afternoon, but there's little doubt that he was a key target. The men who fired are on the loose.

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

Lustful Bride

Quote from: gaggedLouise on February 14, 2015, 10:13:35 AM
Apparently one or two men opened fire with automatic rifle/s during an indoor meeting concerning freedom of speech at a café in Copenhagen (not far from here). Central to the meeting was the controversial Swedish artist Lars Vilks, who is famous or infamous for a series of images of the prophet Muhammed as a roundabout dog - dogs being unclean in islam, of course. Vilks was also the intended target, a few years ago, of the "Jihad Jane plot". Danish police are saying he was not injured at the shooting this afternoon, but there's little doubt that he was a key target. The men who fired are on the loose.

I wish the officers good luck in hunting the gunmen down and hope they stay safe themselves while doing  their duty.

gaggedLouise

There's been a shooting incident outside the Copenhagen synagogue as well, just a few hours after the shooting at the free speech meeting in the café (one policeman was killed on duty at that first one). I'm hearing on the BBC that one person was shot in the head at the synagogue. This is sounding really nasty - and Copenhagen has always felt like a generally very safe city.

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

consortium11

There's been another shooting incident as well, this time police returning fire and killing a man who started shooting at them. He's apparently a person of interest and was returning to an address they were observing but there's no indication yet that he was directly involved in the earlier shootings.

AndyZ

http://krqe.com/2015/02/11/comcast-improperly-cashes-womans-rent-check/

The video but not the article mentions how Comcast wouldn't even give her back the check that they shouldn't have been able to cash, but just credited her account...until she went to the news.

If you deal with Comcast and they try to pull crap like this, I recommend handling it by threatening to go to the news.
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Ons/Offs   -  My schedule and A/As   -    My Avatars

If I've owed you a post for at least a week, poke me.

Hemingway

The Copenhagen shooter has apparently been shot, and two others arrested under suspicion of providing him with weapons and other assistance. The news here ( in Denmark ) are now discussing the wider implications of this.

Zakharra

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/law-and-order/11414156/Victim-told-to-write-to-vicious-attacker-or-face-jail-herself.html

This is just disgusting. A woman is being forced to send three letters a year to the man who is currently imprisoned for beating her and cutting her throat(she obviously survived) to keep him informed about their children, or she faces jail time herself. His parental rights were not terminated when he beat up, then cut the throat of the children's mother, in front of the children.  I very much disagree with the judge on this one and think the man's parental rights should have been terminated.

DarknessBorne

Quote from: Zakharra on February 16, 2015, 12:11:32 PM
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/law-and-order/11414156/Victim-told-to-write-to-vicious-attacker-or-face-jail-herself.html

This is just disgusting. A woman is being forced to send three letters a year to the man who is currently imprisoned for beating her and cutting her throat(she obviously survived) to keep him informed about their children, or she faces jail time herself. His parental rights were not terminated when he beat up, then cut the throat of the children's mother, in front of the children.  I very much disagree with the judge on this one and think the man's parental rights should have been terminated.

The parental rights should have been terminated...hell, I think you could make a cogent case the man himself should have been terminated.
Currently OPEN to new RPs.

Florence

Quote from: DarknessBorne on February 16, 2015, 06:32:16 PM
The parental rights should have been terminated...hell, I think you could make a cogent case the man himself should have been terminated.

Absolutely, it's completely disgusting. Where was his love for his kids when he was brutally attacking their mother in front of them?

No, not his kids, I refuse to even refer to them as such. They are HER kids.

On the bright side, there's a petition online to try and fix this perversion of justice.

https://www.change.org/p/chris-grayling-protect-natalie-allman-and-her-children-review-the-order-granted-to-jason-hughes
O/O: I was going to make a barebones F-list as a rough summary, but then it logged me out and I lost my progress, so I made a VERY barebones F-list instead: Here.

Dimir

Quote from: Zakharra on February 16, 2015, 12:11:32 PM

This pathetic excuse of a man really doesn't deserve to know about what's going on in their children's lives. Just imagine what would have happened to them had their mother died as a result of his actions.
My PM Box is always open for those who wish to chat with someone.
Major fan of Magic The Gathering, Sailor Moon and Pokemon
O/O's: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=221869.0

AndyZ

It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Ons/Offs   -  My schedule and A/As   -    My Avatars

If I've owed you a post for at least a week, poke me.

Oniya

Not sure what you think it's saying, but it's kind of like the (smaller-scale) technique that some US police departments have adopted of gun buy-backs.  The idea is that you're getting the dangerous weapons off the streets.

consortium11

Quote from: AndyZ on February 16, 2015, 07:17:49 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/16/world/cia-is-said-to-have-bought-and-destroyed-iraqi-chemical-weapons.html?_r=0

Is this saying what I think it's saying?

If you think it's saying that there were weapons of mass destruction in Iraq, then yes it is... but that's somewhat old news. The first report about finding WMD's (albeit in degraded form) came in 2006 and in the precursor to the above linked story, back in October last year the NYT reported on the claims by soldiers to have been exposed to chemical weapons.

If you think it's saying that the troops were treated shockingly, then yes it is as well. From the stories it appears that because the weapons and compounds in question were frequently US and EU made, the US hushed up discovering them to avoid bad publicity. Now, you can't really tell people there's no chemical weapons or WMD's when everyone coming into contact with them has to go through chemical weapons procedures so it appears the US simply didn't bother to warn to tell anyone what they were dealing with.